The Last Train Home

The Emperor's New Clothes
A/N : Sentences with ' ' are monologues while sentences with " " are dialogues

CHAPTER 9 : The Last Train Home

 

 

◊ Goryeo Empire, 1034

 

 

 

 

          As though the wait has not been less painful, the sun, with all its majestic stream of rays, proudly beams down on the rows of palace occupants splayed out at the front of the Gyeongbokgung palace from the vast skies of Goryeo. Flags symbolizing the nation and the ruling empire flicker with the touch of the warm breeze while providing little shade to those who stood near. With no doubt, their foreheads glossed with layers of sweat and their hearts thump to the rhythm of anticipation. This has clearly been the case for most who were selected and present for the rare occasion yet only one out of the lot does not know what to expect nor react.

Lee Sung Jong slowly snakes his fair pale hand over his collar and aggressively fans himself with all his might.

'What exactly are we doing?'

Surprised by the young lord’s unruly behavior, Vice General Dong Woo hesitantly inches himself close to the said individual while keeping an eye on General Nam, “Sir, it is best for you to keep still for a bit more. It is considered absolutely uncomely for men of lower statuses to not behave during such events.”

Sung Jong scoffs as he whips his head towards his obstinate companion, “Excuse me but my complexion is at stake here buddy. Plus, nobody told me anything about oh-so-common palace etiquette before today so would you be kind to explain?”

“As stated in the emperor’s recent announcements, the long forgotten moonof Goryeo is bound to stand by Hwang Myung once again.”  

Unsatisfied with the vice general’s other worldly reply to his simple question, the young man’s mouth opened wide to strike with yet another retort when the palace guard who has been keeping on watch from the external finally gives a thundering shout across to the 10thGoryeo emperor who comfortably occupies the newly repaired Geunjeongjeon building.

“Stand by! The envoy is here! The envoy is here!”

Instantly, slump shoulders are broad, heads are tall and traditional music gracefully overflows the atmosphere from various instruments. As though they had made multiple rehearsals behind his back, the palace occupants simultaneously bowed, and of course, except for Lee Sung Jong.

By then, the guilty vice general has withdrawn to his original position, leaving Lee Sung Jong ever more puzzled and bewildered. Even if he was not told of what was supposed to be done, he mimicked the others in his row and has his eyes focused straight to the palace maiden across from him.

Before he even noticed the increasing volume of music emitting from the instruments, his eyes left its initial spot and glued to the beautifully decorated sedan chair entering the palace.

Though her features clearly display years, her gentle eyes speaks strongly of a woman who has control. Her straight back tells the tale of virtue. Her similar dimpled smile serves to display that of proud and ambitious traits.

'So similar.'

Sticking out of the line like that of a sore, swollen thumb, Lee Sung Jong stands frozen as dark eyes fairly shielded by thin translucent veil noticed his nervous stare. The elderly woman’s eyes curved like those of crescents followed by a beautiful dimpled smile.

That moment lasted as rapidly as it came as the sedan chair steadily makes it way up the stone steps and finally stopped at the landing for its owner to board off.

Till the mysterious woman finally enters the building, Lee Sung Jong spins around to face Vice General Dong Woo with beads of sweat rolling down his forehead.

“Was that…”

 

“Yes. Our emperor’s grandmother has finally returned.”

 

 

 

 

 

Goryeo Empire, Lee Sung Jong’s residence

 

 

 

 

 

 It has been nearly a week since the Queen Dowager’s arrival and surprisingly, to Lee Sung Jong, she has yet to make any visits to his workroom because, as the saying goes, word travels fast. And if it is true that secrets could easily leak to the ears of Wang Sung Kyu, why should they not be heard by the people within the walls itself? Unless, of course, she approves of gay marriage.

The thought gutted Lee Sung Jong in his abdomen, causing him to choke on his own spit and prick his pale forefinger with the needle he was using.

“Young Master Lee!” Noh Yi Young, who was occupied with sorting out newly purchased cloths, quickly takes hold of his hand while instructing the other maidens present to fetch medicine and cloth from the doctor.

“Calm down! It’s a small injury!” Sung Jong assures her.

“It’s a CUT! How could you be so careless, Young Master!” She sighs, “Please take better care of yourself or else, my blood would spill.”

Lee Sung Jong clearly understands what she said yet all he could do was shrugs his shoulders lightly and chuckle childishly. After staying for 4 full months in Goryeo, nothing has been clearer to him then the rules and promises made by the palace occupants. They have to take their word for it. Especially ones made with the emperor.

'How innocent…'

“Well, that may be the case but, honestly speaking, I am alright. Don’t bother about me and get back to--” Before he was able to finish off his sentence, a palace maiden announced the arrival of the Queen Dowager and now, there she stands in the doorway.

In all his 18 years of living, old ladies never intimidated Lee Sung Jong. They are old and fragile, not to mention docile. Why would he ever be worried for being slashed by one?

Yet, in all his 18 years of age, the Queen Dowager will be the first to be intimidating. And might just be the one he would be worried for maiming him, emotionally and physically. 

Soon, the atmosphere became regal and polished. Without expecting it, a smooth, clear voice comes into play, “Am I interrupting something?”

Lee Sung Jong snaps out from his reverie, stands up from his stool and bows politely to the elderly Dowager while noting to not speak of Myungsoo butHwang Myung Jong.

“No, Your Highness,” Sung Jong slightly lifts his head yet remains his eyes to the hem of the Dowager’s costume.

'What beautiful silk.'

“Young Master! We brought the medicine…” The palace maidens who were assigned by Noh Yi Young to retrieve medicine and cloth ambushed the doorway yet immediately stopped dead in their tracks when realizing that a superior was in their company.

The Queen Dowager takes a glance at the tools they brought with them in their hands and analyses the rest of Lee Sung Jong’s helpers in his workroom.

“My, was somebody injured?”

“Yes, Your Highness. But it is nothing to be gravely worried about.” Sung Jong speaks up as he carefully places his injured hand to his back.

Smiling while observing Lee Sung Jong’s awkward reply, she takes steps towards him and gently takes hold of his pricked finger, “Is this trivial to you?”
Sung Jong clamps his mouth shut.

“It should not be, Master Lee,” She chuckles while calling over the two dumbstruck maidens with the medicine, “You have a heavy, heavy responsibility towards our nation’s ruler. You sew the clothes his wears to govern,” She continues as her own smaller, lithe fingers take the cotton soaked with medicine and dabs it onto the cut, “Without clothes befitting a superior, no man would bow down to him, don’t you agree?”

“Yes, Your Highness.” With his eyes still lowered to the injury being wrapped cautiously by the elderly woman, he replies carefully.

“Thus, every single hair on your body has value, Lee Sung Jong.”
“Yes, Your Highness. Thank you for caring towards a lowly servant…”    

With her dimpled smile still on display, she waves her attendants to wait outside, “I’d like to have a word with you, alone, Lee Sung Jong.”

Quickly, the room emptied out except for the young man and the elderly woman.

Still smiling motherly towards Sung Jong, the emperor’s aged grandmother gracefully circles Sung Jong’s personal work table situated in the middle of the room. Her fingers lightly touched the fabric of his current masterpiece.

“This is a very beautiful hongryongpo for His Excellency. I am proud of him for having such a skillful, young tailor to assist him during his reign,” She begins.

“Thank you but it is the least that I could offer.”

She chuckles, “Humble. I like that but what should I ever do if all these attentions that are averted to you mean something deeper, o’ tailor of the emperor?”

Gingerly shuffling his position nearer to the open windows for fresh air, Sung Jong replies, “Such thing is impossible for I am nothing but a lowly---”

“I know what circulates around the palace, my dear,” She cuts in, “There is no use in hiding anything more shameful than to have my grandson imposing on another male. A servant, no less.”

With his heart nearly hammering his heart open wide, Sung Jong clenches his fist in an attempt to keep his emotions under wraps, “I---”

“I’ll warn you now, dear, that an heir must be produced in order to maintain a harmonious Goryeo. That is the purpose of having a female bride. I did not intervene in the emperor’s wish to staying single for the moment after his wife’s death but that was solely to respect his feelings,” Her dark brown eyes lifts from the hongryongpo on the table and her smile dissipated, “It is about time that he has a legitimate female betrothed.”

With that announced, Sung Jong’s eyes grew wide and shivers are send down his spine.

“Therefore, I would kindly ask you to let him go. Leave the palace, if you may. I will have my servants prepare and provide you with shelter, food, job and the like in another village. How does that sound?”

I must stand my ground.… Myungsoo will be enraged if I leave him again.'

“I… I apologize but I can’t leave.”

“You---”

“I have pledged to Hwang Myung Jong to remain by his side as his tailor. Promises must be kept. If I go against his orders, wouldn’t that bring to treason? I stay by his side for as long as I can and as far as he goes, I will follow. Please… Understand this.”

“You vixen,” She explodes with rage, “My grandson is no fool. I heard you pushed your way in here and seduced him. I will not settle with this. An heir will be produced and when that succeeds, you will perish more.” The furious elderly woman the hills and began to stalk off towards the doorways when Sung Jong quickly stops in her way.

Bravery slowly surges up in him though his eyes remained low, “Has your curiosity led you here due to Miss Song Hye Gyo, too?”

With a confused expression, the Queen Dowager responds, “I do not understand what you are trying to get at. Move out of my way.”

Rapidly, Sung Jong tucks himself far from the enraged elderly woman.

As soon as the Queen Dowager appears at the doorway, her attendants lined up and bowed to her while several of Sung Jong’s appointed maidens stand opposite to them.

Once the Dowager landed from the stone steps, the maidens fluttered back into the workroom. Only one nervous young lady was held back.

“Serve this in that tailor’s tea.” The elderly woman’s attendant steps forward and placed a small pouched in a pair of sweaty palms, “Expose this to the emperor or any other, you will face heavy consequences.”
“Y-Yes, Your Highness… Then, I will make haste,” Tucking it in her uniform’s pocket, the young lady proceeds to follow the others into Sung Jong’s work room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After his meal, the young emperor’s tailor returned to his workroom to store the completed pieces into the wardrobes with the assistance of Oh Hye Rin and Noh Yi Young while gossiping.

“The Queen Dowager sure is a frightening woman!” Hye Rin sighs.

“Watch your words, Hye Rin. She hasears everywhere.”

“I know! But how could she do whatever that she pleases to you, Master Lee!”

Upon hearing their rambles, Sung Jong stifles a chuckle and shakes his head disapprovingly, “It can’t be helped, she does not fancy lowly boys such as myself…” He sighs as his eyes trail off into the distance, far out of the windows, “Oddly, she did not come to see me because of Miss Song Hye Gyo…”

Puzzled, the two palace maidens exchanged mutual glances before one of them asks, “Why would the Queen Dowager ask of you about Miss Hye Gyo?”

Sung Jong turns towards them, “Well, if she heard that I resembled the deceased Crown Princess, she would have been curious, would she not?”

As though adding fuel to fire, the situation worsens with the young girls’ surprised reactions, “Was she?”

Slowly taking a grasp of the current scenario, Sung Jong takes a step back and eyes the both of them as though he is trying to decipher their prank, “Hold up. Didn’t the whole palace know about this?”

Oh Hye Rin rakes her mind for any knowledge about the matter but ended up shaking her head regretfully, “We do not know. In fact, even the emperor has never seen nor met her.”

Noh Yi Young continues, “Yes, apparently the emperor communicated with her through letters.”

'Wait. WAIT. WAIT. If that’s the case, how in the world did I even come to conclude that I have the same features as Miss Song Hye Gyo?'

Piecing his memories together, something finally clicked deep in his mind.

“So… if there’s ever a person who’d recognize her and be familiar of her residence, who would they be?”
“Let’s see… Miss Song Hye Gyo was a Chinese prince’s daughter. Her marriage to Hwang Myung Jong was political and arranged by her father. Since the announcement, she has been living in the village while trying to be accustomed to our culture…” Noh Yi Young hesitantly replies due to her lack of knowledge of the said individual.

Feeling impatient, Sung Jong launches questions after questions when they were finally able to narrow down their subject to the palace maidens who were sent to look after the deceased Miss Song Hye Gyo when she was still alive and palace guards. Unfortunately, they meet dead ends since those who were involved with the Crown Princess had been exiled to a different village and most of them are already deceased.

'This could only lead to one last culprit…'

“But could you tell me who was the one assigned to deliver the letters back and fro between the palace and Miss Hye Gyo’s residence?”

“Shouldn’t that person be Lee Sung Yeol?”

'Oh.'

Sung Jong places the last costume into the wardrobe and silently left his quarters while the two palace maidens were distracted with their own little chitchat. His mind boils with the new discovery and his hands tremble with adrenaline. Now, everything makes sense yet he knows that with what he has found now, more doors that heave the dirtiest secrets in the palace’s walls shall emerge.

'And I’m ready for that to happen.'

With haste, his feet finally led him to the royal messengers’ office where scrolls, log books as well as documents are securely stored and watch over with military precision. Non should ever leave without the permission of the chief.

Sung Jong stalks up the stone steps and cracks open the mahogany doors. As expected, the room is full of busy men bustling about with stamps and orders. No one is idle and when asked, no one saw Lee Sung Yeol at all for that day.

“Ah, I see. Then I apologize for causing you trouble… I’ll come looking for him again later when---”

“For who?” Sung Jong’s troubled gaze shifted from the occupied elderly man who stands before him to the lanky messenger by the doorway, “By any chance, was I who you were looking for, Master Lee?”

After finally, excusing themselves from the office, they left for a more quiet environment. One where no eyes could wander to. One where no ears could hear.

“You’re keen to talk to me today. How odd,” The elder man flashes a sarcastic smile, “Ready to make us friends?”

With a of fresh air provided by the greenery nearby, Sung Jong put forth the subject that has been bothering him to light, “Why… Why did you did what you did to Miss Song Hye Gyo?”

Cocking his head to the side with an amused expression, the messenger looks puzzled, “I do not understand a thing you are say---”

You’re the culprit to her death, aren’t you.”

With his head back to initial position, Lee Sung Yeol only manages to stare listlessly at the young tailor as he continues, “You think I couldn’t comprehend your threats but I did. You stated before that I closely resemble Miss Song Hye Gyo yet the only circle of people who has ever seen her were her assigned palace maids and guards. And you were one of those many who assisted her, weren’t you?”

Silence stretched longer than it should have till a roar of eerie laughter resonates from Lee Sung Yeol, “So, are you accusing me of murder? What? What about those other people present then? Shouldn’t you meet them too and point your finger at them? Come on, Lee Sung Jong. You don’t even strength for evidence.”

Without missing a beat, Sung Jong lashes back, “Oh, I sorted them all out properly. Since Madam Goh and her assistants were exiled together with the palace guards who guarded her, you are the only one who wriggled free from any sort of punishment since you are the emperor’s closest and trusted pigeon,” Sung Jong juts out his finger, “You, of all those sea of enemies, stand closer to His Excellency… How could you!”

Finally losing his temper, Sung Yeol whisks the younger man by his collar and shakes him furiously, “Shut your trap! Just shut it, you filthy servant!” He roars, “Well what about you?! You, who seduced your way into his chambers have no shame than I do! How dare you sought out my flaws when you have cracks all over! You don’t understand the pressure I went through because of her!”

“Shame? So you want to talk about SHAME?” Sung Jong scoffs as he spits, “You traded your feelings with blood! With the emperor’s depression! With the country’s loss! Don’t you dare tell me you did all that for your own personal use!”

“I told you to shut your trap, !” Unexpectedly, a hard fist came flying through the air and punched Sung Jong in the jaw, sending him crashing to the ground and scrapping his elbows, “For once! For once in my life, I do not want to lose something precious. No one has the rights to take it away from me! I stood by his side for all those years and he was too blinded with her that he forgot about me…” His eyes rapidly darken with hatred, “He broke my heart… So I broke his.”

Compared to his bleeding elbows and lower lip, words told by the messenger completely tore his heart open and exerted greater pain. He could not stop his tears nor could he believe what he hears. If he could, he didn’t want what he knew then to be true. 

Slowly, Sung Jong stands his ground and rammed Sung Yeol off the ground, “I believed you, for heaven’s sake!” His nimble fingers clenching the elder’s collar, “I thought you warned me for Myungsoo’s sake… How could you! HOW COULD YOU, LEE SUNG YEOL!” Tears began to fall, “But you know what’s worse?”

 

“You brought this upon yourself.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What happened back there?” Noh Yi Young asks out of curiosity as she gently tends to Sung Jong’s fresh wounds.

“Nothing much…”

Sung Jong sighs as images of his brawl with Lee Sung Yeol ended horribly with him pushing the elder man into the nearest pond and sprinting to his quarters after slapping the messenger continuously on the ground. Now, the only explanation he could provide to his curious maidens was that he fell from tripping on a rock.

Unsatisfied, Oh Hye Rin pinches his nose, “Young Master… At this rate, you’ll be reduced to nothing but a pile of dust if you are not careful enough…”

Hinting that their interrogation session is finally over, Sung Jong chuckles softly, “Geez, calm down, guys. I’m an independent man! A man! I do what I want and I’ll take responsibility for it. No one can baby me.”

“His Highness would have begged to differ.”

“That’s his problem.”

“Ah, apparently a maiden briefly stopped by a while ago while you were gone. She delivered some tea.” Hye Rin places down the medicine she was holding onto to reveal the beautiful tea set prepared for him. The jasmine smell that lingers from the teapot tempts him and increases his thirst as Hye Rin proceeds to pour him a cup. She turns her back for just a second as Sungjong eagerly gulps the drink.

“Alright. I have disinfected your wounds but you’ll have to see the doctor tomorr---”

Bewildered, the two maidens scream in horror to find their companion curved into a ball on the floor. His skin turns pale, his body shivers with pain and sweat quickly forms on his forehead and the back of his neck.

“SOMEONE! QUICKLY CALL THE DOCTOR!”

From then onwards, every thing moved too fast for Sung Jong to properly comprehend. Every part of him hurts yet he is already in so much pain to do anything else but clench his jaw and trying his best to curb the pain.

So painful.

Without realizing it, he was already placed on a wooden altar in the royal palace’s clinic. The elderly doctor hastily checks his pulse while the younger assistant doctors prepared the apparatus. Through his droopy eyelids, he is able to catch glimpses of the doctor sniffing into the cup Sung Jong used to drink the tea from but quickly pulled back with a horrid expression, “Poison,” He says.

Without further ado, the doctor selected a few reagent bottles from the ones his assistants had prepared. He pours small portions of each into a bowl and finally funnels the medicine he concocted down Sung Jung’s throat with force.

Moments later, Sung Jong lapse into unconsciousness after a fleeting flash of Hwang Myung Jong’s frightful expression.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes before midnight, Lee Sung Jong’s eyes crack open. He is in loose comfortable clothes and lying on a familiar bed with fine pearl white silk bed sheets. The scent of chrysanthemums sooth his headaches and the blankets wraps him up like those of a mother’s arms.  For the first time since the strange incident involving the tea that was served to him, Lee Sung Jong feels exhausted yet very comfortable. Even so, his throat and his insides burn, his limbs are sore and his eyes feel swollen. It takes him a while to be able to turn his head towards his hand that is firmly wrapped in another’s.

There, right by his side, a man in his 20s sit in an elegant mahogany chair. His right unoccupied hand has his calloused fingers above an opened scroll.

His Excellency.

Deciding to treasure the moment, Sung Jong gazes longingly at the elder man when Myungsoo’s eyes begin to flutter open, unleashing two reddish marbles. His eyes shoot towards the lying Sung Jong and slowly, but steadily, cracks a beautiful, sorrowful dimpled smile. Sung Jong may be able to see the calm, soothing surface of His Highness, yet without realizing it, with only the sight of his unusual pale complexion sets a turmoil brewing and stirring up him. He could not stand the possibility of loosing Lee Sung Jong. He could not stand the thought of letting him go. He could not stand the thought that everything that has happened up to that point, might have been caused by his very own carelessness.

My first love, Hwang Myung whispers, too soft to be heard by the younger man.

Sung Jong looks at him wonderingly and innocently in an exhausted manner, “What was that?” So innocently that it smashes his heart to pieces and shards, “I can’t hear you…”

Myungsoo settles down the scroll onto the nearest wooden table and inches closer to his lover without letting go of the hand he held on to ever since Sung Jong lost consciousness.

Now that both of his hands are united with Sung Jong’s, he intently bore in gazes into swollen, reddish brown orbs while softly humming a tune.

“Ah… the song you taught me on the gayageum…” Sung Jong finally smiles.

Myungsoo’s eyes flicker in pain. As he has been thrown into the ocean with a rock chained to his ankle, he remains under sea with water blinding his eyes and his mouth shut, unable to speak.

'Don’t you worry. Nothing can harm you anymore, for now. The woman who poisoned you this afternoon committed suicide right after.'

Myungsoo could not bring himself to say those words in his beloved’s face.

Yet a reply is necessary.

“That’s right… You love it don’t you?”

Sung Jong slowly nods, “Let’s practice again as soon as I get well.”

Myungsoo chuckles back in silence as he places his lips upon the cocoon he created with their hands, silently praying, “That’s right… you wont leave me ever, will you?”

Sung Jong could only smile. His free hand slowly reaches for Myungsoo and wiping off a tear from his cheek.

“Myungsoo… even if I am ill and would not survive this, I hope that…” Sung Jong pauses as soon as he feels a painful streak in his chest, yet he carries on, “that you would continue to govern righteously like how you have up till today. Do not get trivial matters affect your performance…”

Upon hearing this, the elder man’s voice crack, “Sung Jong… I could throw away all the riches in the world for you. How dare you think that you are a trivial matter to me. You are a piece of me and you are not allowed to go away without my permission.”

With tears streaming down his cheeks, down to his jaws, Sung Jong grins as brightly as he could. In his mind, he notes down the soothing words. Imprinting them in his memory and marking it as a gift. To Lee Sung Jong, these words are sufficient to prove the emperor’s undying love for him and with that, he needs nothing more, “Thank you.”

Seeing that his company has lapsed into deep thoughts, Sung Jong taps his thumb on Myungsoo's pale skin and whispers, "Hey. Mind telling me a bedtime story?"

The emperor was surprised by the request but nods in approval, “During these olden days… Men grant lacquer combs to the women they dearly love. As a start of a more sturdy relationship to bind them together for all eternity.”

Puzzled by the random piece of information, the younger man decides to share one of his own, "Well, in my era, engagement rings are bought by the men for their lovers. That sort of gift would result in an engagement, closely followed by marriage," Sung Jong trails off, "Don't you think its mysterious how we live on the same soil and the same land yet are worlds apart?"

Without realizing it, a comb is positioned in his sweaty palms. The comb is clearly different than the ones he had seen in traditional Korean dramas on the television. It is an elegant black layered with gold lacquer comb with craved intricate patterns of flowers and small shards of moonstones adorned on it.   

“What is… this?”

There was silence but it was immediately dissolved with the emperor’s steady voice, “I want you to be my bride, Lee Sung Jong."

Sung Jong stares at him with tears slowly forming in his eyes.                            

The harsh words of the Queen Dowager, forgotten like snow on the eve of spring. Nothing matters, the fact that they were both men doesn't affect their love for one another. The fact that the great emperor needs an heir doesn't matter. Nothing matters, for let Sung Jong have his moment of selfishness. He never did expect anything of the sorts to happen to a nobody like him. Yet, now there he is. Bedridden but experiencing what would be the happiest day of his life, “Yes…” Sung Jong agrees, “I’ll be your bride…”

 

         

Myungsoo lost his composure and finally dives in to embrace Sung Jong. His sturdy arms binds the younger man closer to his beating heart.

 

 

“Thank you, Lee Sung Jong. You have given me so much happiness.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was still night when Lee Sung Jong abruptly awakens from his slumber. He turns to his left and could see his lover sleeping soundlessly next to him with his arm provided as a pillow for Sung Jong to lie on.

Sung Jong grins childishly grins at the sight and slowly glances down at the lacquer comb he held on tightly throughout the night. 

“I never felt so happy…” Sung Jong whispers in the moonlight.

Oddly, the windows that have been securely closed before the both of them decided to sleep are open wide for moonlight to stream in and light up the insides of the emperor’s chamber. It is a sight to be admired but his reverie stops as fast as it came when his eyes run into a stranger adorned in a black cloak.

“Lee… Lee Ho Won?” The name itself shakes him. By then, Sung Jong is already on his weak knees and feet. With the support of the furniture around him, the ill young man is able to drag himself towards the figure by the window. Once he is standing before the shaman, Lee Ho Won’s eyes pierce through the shade provided by his hood and stares down at Lee Sung Jong, looking at his client’spathetic state.

“So you are engaged,” His hoarse voice speaks, “And you are going down the fast lane to death within days.”

Sung Jong clearly understands what the man was getting at yet he is adamant to fight back. Only if he was not in so much pain, “I---” Unexpectedly, blood spurt from his mouth and his mind turned fuzzy. Within seconds, he is already in Ho Won’s arms.

“You knew that better than anyone else and still…” Ho Won’s voice becomes as distorted as his own face, “still you refused to accept my offer and end all ties with Hwang Myung Jong!”

“How… How would I dare to do that?” Sung Jong wails, “I love him and I---”

“You can’t submit to fate so easily, you fool! The doors to the portal are bound to open in just weeks. I have to prepare you and take you away from here.”

Intending to not believe and succumb to the elder man’s tempting offer, Sung Jong furiously shakes his head and struggles to be free from the shaman’s touch, “I have so much more to do here… I am not ready!

“Don’t you understand a word I am saying? The longer you stay the more you are bound to risk the emperor’s life!”

Sung Jong’s eyes grow wide.

“It is now or never!”  

With that said, Sung Jong’s knees finally weakens and he falls back into Ho Won’s arms. From the distance, he witnesses the emperor slumbering on the bed with a cold, empty, unoccupied side. Sung Jong stares at it and thinks to himself that someday, another will come for him.

That woman will grant him far greater happiness and someday, might even able to scrape off the painful memories of Lee Sung Jong from his tattered heart.

 

Finally, with the last energy that he possesses that night and the comb within his grasp, the young tailor lifts and reaches out his hand towards emperor’s direction as he whispers goodbye.  

 

 

 

 

 

A/N : Thank you for reading Chapter 9! X) I apologize for giving false alarm since it is SO difficult to update via phone. I had wrote an author's note for this chapter but I do not know why it isn't showing up. 

Anyway, I'd want to thank my lovely beta-nim (loveydovey_ky) for editting my chapters. And also I am grateful for having nice subscribers like you guys <3  till then ~