Ring A Bell?

The Emperor's New Clothes

CHAPTER 4 : Ring A Bell?

◊Goryeo Empire, 1034

 

 

Hwang Myung always makes it a point to wake up as early as the palace maidens, to act before the ministers could and to stand up for righteousness when there is a need for judgement. This is to avoid sculpturing himself into a spoiled, wretched, self-centered emperor. He even spent years in preparing himself to be the man who would be able to point the right directions to his nation. He aims to be an excellent figure with few flaws and reinstate even the tiniest loss to make up for the past emperors’ shortcomings. However, ever since a young man fell through the Geunjeongjeon’s second level, the emperor could not help but think that his priorities are tested once again. Hwang Myung admits that it was purely due to goodwill and sympathy when he decided to discharge Lee Sung Jong from the Gyeongbokgung cell and place him under his wings as the emperor’s tailor. However, after spending hours and hours of quality time together, the emperor could not help but label Lee Sung Jong as his key to freedom. For now, Lee Sung Jong is the only man he could manipulate, order and feel at ease with.

Hwang Myung chuckles at the thought. He closes the book he has been reading and inhales the fresh morning breeze.

The palace maidens who were sweeping near the emperor’s chamber giggle at the rare sight. The curious emperor finally notices their embarrassed glances and asks, “What seems to be the matter, palace maidens?”

The girls turn to exchange glances with one another till one of them shyly voices out her opinion, “My apologies. We were being too bold but we were surprised with your fair mood nowadays. It is a rare sight to witness you smiling, Your Highness.”

“Even the emperor’s tastes have changed. These days, you preferred the newly made and soft colored costumes compared to the dark ones.”  

The emperor stares back with a blank expression plastered on his face. Swiftly, his face muscles ease and he manages a charming smile, “Thank you. I…”

Unexpectedly, the emperor’s royal messenger, Lee Sung Yeol comes trampling in through the opened sliding doors of the emperor’s chamber. He automatically gets down on his knees and places his right fist on his chest.

Bewildered, the emperor asks in confusion, “Where are your courtesies, royal messenger?”

“Forgive me, Your Highness! I was in a state of panic that I came rushing here as soon as this scroll arrived at the front gates of the Gyeongbokgung palace.” Lee Sung Yeol pulls out a long tube covered on both sides of its’ ends. The emperor’s eyes widen in disbelief as he asks for the scroll. He cautiously opens one of the lids and pulls out the rolled paper that has been inserted in it. The paper clearly reveals the official royal seal of the Chinese emperor.

“Your Highness, this is a serious matter. This has even reached the ears of the Goryeo ministers! It has become a frequent issue amongst the higher ups that there are also rumors going around that the Chinese emperor is being suspicious of us…” Sung Yeol continues as he lowers his head humbly, as apology due to his recent rude behavior.

“It seems so…”

“I was also entrusted to relay a message to Your Highness from the ministers. They wish to prepare an urgent appointment with Your Highness at the Gyeonghoeru Pavilion.”

After completely reading the scroll, Hwang Myung rises from his seat and begins to make his way towards one of the pavillions in the palace grounds which acts as the temporary location for court gatherings while the Geunjeongjeon is under repair. The emperor left together with General Nam Woohyun and several of his other subordinates. However, upon their arrival Hwang Myung is violently showered with complaints and insults by the enraged flock of ministers and court officials.

“What have you done, Hwang Myung!”

“Your Highness! Are you not aware of the consequences Goryeo might face if you continue to be this obstinate?”

“We should abort Lee Sung Jong!”

As soon as he heard the young man’s name being called out through the crowd, the emperor turns around with his eyes piercing each ministers’ face and his expression filled to the brim with nothing but rage. Never was a sight these old men ever behold. As far as they knew, their 10th Goryeo emperor is a man who does not let his feelings take over his actions and thoughts. He is supposed to be a well-composed and silent man, even in the most critical situations. What could have possibly driven him this mad?

Hwang Myung takes in a deep breath, walks up the pavillion’s stairs and takes a seat on the floorboard while his audiences remained standing below.

“I may remind each and every one of my subordinates, ministers, court officials and palace maidens that Lee Sung Jong is also an occupant of this Gyeongbokgung palace. If there were ever to be insults regarding this young man, I would not think twice of exiling and forbidding any of you from serving the royal family ever again.” The crowd falls silent in an instant.

“I did receive a scroll from the Chinese emperor recently. I understand that their suspicions toward the Goryeo empire has thrown the palace’s occupants in a state of panic. I also understand that this is all due to my delay in informing the Chinese emperor after appointing Lee Sung Jong as the palace’s tailor. However, I shall resolve this as how I see fit. Therefore, I urge all of you to set your worries away and not act carelessly. I will revisitChina as soon as possible and receive punishment if I have to. You are dismissed!”    

   

 

 

Lee Sung Jong did everything that he could. From counting sheep to drinking fresh cow’s milk and also to the extent of fetching water from the nearest well to wash his feet before going to bed.

To his dismay, his nightmares never left him. Never moved an inch. Never changed. However, his recent ones are becoming more and more aggressive than usual. Instead of the plain old nightmares of him drowning himself in a bath tub full of water, there were voices echoing in his mind. Repeatedly reminding him one word: “Return…”

Even if anybody asks me to ‘return’, where on Earth should I return to? I don’t even know how to return to the present!  

The young man chews on a fingernail as he remains lying on his bed in his chamber. Lee Sung Jong could not seem to get himself up from his bed after waking up in a horrible, cold sweat that morning. His head aches and he could still hear faint traces of the strange voice.

“Young Master Sung Jong, forgive us for the intrusion but it is already afternoon. Would you not like to have your meal?” Sung Jong slowly sits up and could see Oh Hye Rin stepping into his chamber followed by Noh Yi Young, carrying trays of traditional Korean refreshments including his favorite kimchi.

“Hye Rin and Yi Young…”

“It seems that Vice General Dong Woo came rushing to our quarters at dawn after checking up on you. He stated that you were a very pale color and sweating. Therefore, I recommend that you have some refreshments before having your afternoon meal. Would that be suitable?” Hye Rin smiles.

Sung Jong nods in return, “Certainly… thank you for being considerate.” The girls giggle back in response, “Young Master Sung Jong, if you face any kind of turbulence during your stay in Goryeo, please feel free to pour out your concerns to us and Vice General Dong Woo. After all, we are your appointed companions.”

Hearing to their warm and sincere words made the young man feel pampered and spoiled. He chuckles back childishly.

Though Lee Sung Jong is fully aware that they are only doing this for the sake of their emperor’s desires, he could not help but indulge himself in this blissful life he leads as the palace’s tailor. Ever since he started living in the Gyeongbokgung palace, he frequently visits the palace’s court yard to enjoy the scenery and beautiful sight of various flowers blooming wonderfully together with his two palace maidens and appointed knight. All three are lively and have such colourful personalities, that at such moments, he could easily lose himself and forget his worries. The same thing occurs whenever he is alone with the emperor. He could not help but cherish these new faces he has come to adore.

“Say… would it be alright if I take this day off? I do not feel quite pleasant today. If possible, I would like to seek the emperor…” Sung Jong trails off as he fiddles with his fingers embarrassedly. The two palace maidens exchange glances and nod in agreement, “That would be excellent if that is what you wish to do, Young Master.”

The young man hops up from his bed in delight and races off towards his chamber’s opened door till Noh Yi Young suddenly clears , “I believe, it is about time that you wear appropriate Goryeo clothing.”

This causes Sung Jong to stop in his tracks and turn slowly to face the two palace maidens with a confused expression plastered on his face, “But I am quite comfortable with my own attire---”

“Young Master Lee Sung Jong, your odd clothes even make the other palace occupants cringe at the sight of it! Therefore the emperor has prepared new sets of zhisunfu costumes for your own use.” The girls left the chamber temporarily and returned with several other palace maidens. They carry beautiful zhisunfu garments made of fine silk and cotton. Sung Jong drools at the sight of them and begins to examine each garment carefully. “My… These sure are lovely…”

“They are the costumes that the emperor had specially requested from renowned Chinese tailors. Though Hwang Myung is aware that you are able to make your own zhisunfu garments, he still insists of having them made for you as a welcoming gift to Gyeongbokgung palace. Therefore, we advise you to use them well.”

Sung Jong smiles and thanks the helpful palace maidens.

“I’ll immediately seek the emperor and thank him properly.”

 

 

After changing into a yellow zhisunfu, Sung Jong snacks on some refreshments to aid his growling stomach and finally sets off in search of Hwang Myung. He spends nearly twenty minutes peeking through multiples unoccupied room and ends up wallowing in pity and regret for not bringing his tourism pamphlet together with him when he left his chamber. However, his spirit returns to its original drive when his eyes run into the magnificent Guenjeongjeon building. The young man peeks from left to right and quickly makes his way towards the Guenjeongjeon. He pokes his head through one of the two-sided doors and finds himself staring at a huge miraculous hole on the ceiling. Lee Sung Jong notices that the hall is empty and not occupied with ministers like how it should.

“So it has yet to recover…” Sung Jong sighs heavily and enters the building to take a good look at the damage he has caused. He grimaces at the sight of it.

The day he arrived in Goryeo remains fresh in his mind till today. He felt scared then. Yet now he is grateful for having such opportunity to meet Oh Hye Rin, Noh Yi Young, Jang Dong Woo and last but definitely not least, Myungsoo. However, Lee Sung Jong could not deny that his desire to return to South Korea grows stonger and more desperate each day. He easily becomes worried and uneasy at the thought of leaving his life in South Koreapermanently. What will become of his hopes and dreams? Will his struggles and efforts become wasted? Will his family welcome him home if he ever did return?

Or is this all just an illusion?

Just then, one of the two-sided doors crack open and a tall, lanky man steps in with a surprised expression on his face, “Oh dear? Aren’t you the emperor’s tailor? What would a man such as yourself do in here alone?”

 “Ah, I was just taking a look. I’ll be taking my leave then.” Sung Jong quickly manages a bow and tries to make his exit. However the elder man does not seem to give way.

“You do not remember me, do you?” Lee Sung Jong stares back at him in confusion. He tries to rake his mind for any memories of such a tall man and finally shakes his head. The elder man only chuckles at his reaction and manages a toothy ear-to-ear smile, “I am Lee Sung Yeol, the palace’s royal messenger! I was also in the Geunjeongjeon when you crashed through the second level of this building.” To his dismay, Sung Jong was unable to recall any other person except for the emperor and Jang Dong Woo during the incident. “I’m sorry but I could not quite remember. However, it is nice to meet you. My name is Lee Sung Jong.”

Sung Yeol smiles back in response and asks, “Would you like to have a chat with me? I promise that it would not take too much of your time.”

Sung Jong agrees and the two men take a seat on the floorboard near the two-sided doors. When they finally settled down, Sung Yeol starts to speak, “Your arrival is too sudden, Lee Sung Jong. Majority of the palace occupants are still suspicious of you of your true nature, origin and nationality… Somehow you have developed a group of antagonists amongst the ministers. Some even started making ridiculous and outrageous possibilities of your sudden arrival at Goryeo. Such as your secret identity as the Chinese emperor’s spy, and what not.”

Lee Sung Jong jolts in surprise and scratches his ear nervously, “How could such thing happen? I mean, I have never met the Chinese emperor before!”

Lee Sung Yeol smiles but lets out a heavy sigh, “I believe you, young man. However I wish that you would return to where you belong as soon as possible. Your arrival has brought nothing but trouble.”

“Trouble? Don’t tell me…”

“Yes. You might not know this nor will the emperor ever notify you, that the Chinese emperor had already send in several scrolls stating that he is not satisfied with Hwang Myung’s recent actions in appointing you as the palace’s tailor. It was done without the approval of the Chinese emperor himself. If our emperor does not quickly remove you from your position, he himself might be the one to face heavy punishment.” The utter grimness in Sung Yeol's voice causes Sung Jong to gulp and clamp his mouth shut.

Is this all my fault? Myungsoo is bound to be heavily punished because of my arrival at the Gyeongbokgung palace?

Sung Jong shakes his head furiously to wave off his nervousness. He clenches his fists and looks at the elder man straight in the eye, “B-But I will only step down if the emperor says so. I will only leave if the emperor says so and I will only bow down to the Chinese emperor’s wishes if our emperor says so! Therefore, for now, I will only be able to wait for his orders patiently. I hope you understand…”   

Lee Sung Yeol chuckles, “Or is it that you can’t leave due to a heavy heart? What? Are you in love with the emperor, dear Lee Sung Jong?”

The elder man’s words pierce through Sung Jong’s battered heart. His face flushes red and his heart races at the thought of Myungsoo.

What is this feeling?

“How could I possibly…”

“I would advise you not to do so. Hwang Myung had spent years and years of molding himself into an excellent emperor with caliber. Your feelings might tarnish his purity as the nation’s leader, hope and strength. To top it all, Hwang Myung was a married man.”

Sung Jong’s eyes widen in disbelief. His heart feels as though it is being trampled on mercilessly and repeatedly. It feels as though his insides are caving in. It feels as though oxygen is leaving his lungs.

 What is this feeling?

The palace’s messenger’s facial expression turns solemn as he continues, “His wife passed away due to a mysterious cause. The ministers did not allow him from investigating the case nor look too deep into it since he was in the process of preparing to be the 10th Goryeo emperor. This is the reason why the memory of his late wife is one of the darkest times he had faced during his teenage years. Thus, abandoning her unfaithfully for another man does not sound quite nice, now does it?”

Lee Sung Jong’s mind becomes as blank as a sheet of white paper. He could find words to retaliate but he could not seem to pour them out of his throat because this is reality. He does not know who ‘Hwang Myung’ really is. All he knows is that the elder man holds the post as Korea’s late 10th emperor. Nothing more, nothing less.  

“Hwang Myung really loved his wife. Since then, he refused remarrying any other women… I believe that this is already enough of a reason to dispose your unruly and unrequited feelings for our emperor. Take time to rethink of your actions. That is all that I wish to say and I will take me leave. Goodbye for now, Lee Sung Jong.”   

The elder man gives Sung Jong a soft pat on the shoulder and turns away to make his exit through the two-sided doors.

Unexpectedly, tears begin to form in the young man’s eyes.

He asks himself, “Why do I feel so, very upset for knowing all of these things?” Sung Jong clasps his mouth with his right hand while his left clenches onto his burning chest. Sung Jong sobs in depression. Sobbing loudly as he tries to imagine Myungsoo walking away from him. The tears continuously pour out of his doe eyes. However he violently rubs them off when a familiar figure suddenly enters the Geunjeongjeon.

“Lee Sung Jong, I have been looking all over for you.”

 The man cracks a dimpled smile.

What is this feeling?

 

 

Bewildered at the sight of the young man’s blood-shot eyes, the emperor quickly helps Lee Sung Jong to rise from the floorboard. He hushes the young man and gently wipes off the tears from his eyes. “What happened, Lee Sung Jong?”

Sung Jong shivers at his touch. Worried that he might trouble the emperor with his own concerns, he smiles and shakes his head in denial, “Nothing is wrong. I was just taking a look at the damage I have done…” The damage I have done. Hearing himself spouting those words made him sob even louder. He feels horrible and uneasy. If there is one thing he could do, he would love to find a steep cliff and jump into the ocean below. He would let the strong current wash his body away along with the sea creatures to a far and far away land. He does not mind if he ends up stranded on an unknown island. Wherever the current may take him, he approves as long as it is away from Goryeo. Away from Myungsoo.

He tries to free himself from the young emperor’s touch. However his sudden strange behavior left a bitter feel in the emperor’s chest. What actually took place before I came in here?

“Is it homesickness?”

Sung Jong remains silent and only stares down at the floorboard. Assuming that that is the actual reason to his breakdown, Hwang Myung smiles in relief and holds onto one of Sung Jong’s sweaty hands. “My purpose of seeking you is to show you something. Would it be alright if you follow me somewhere for a moment?”

After waiting for the young man’s response for several long minutes, the emperor decides to take his silence as a sign of approval. They left the Geunjeongjeon soon after together with General Nam. They walked past several other buildings in the palace’s compound and finally come to an abrupt stop. Sung Jong, who has been spacing out on his own finally notices the beautiful aroma of blooming flowers in his new surroundings. He lifts his gaze from the ground and could see a small, two-storey hexagonal pavilion built on a small piece of land surrounded by lake water. It seems to be an artificial island connected to a stone bridge from the palace’s grounds.

“Where are we?”
“That building is known as Hyangwonjeong and where we are standing now is the bridge leading towards that pavilion. It is called Chwihyanggyo. The ‘pavilion of far-reaching fragrance’ and ‘bridge intoxicated with fragrance’. Are you familiar with these simplified names?” The emperor asks.

Sung Jong sniffs as he nods.

The emperor inhales the fragrant in the atmosphere and starts to make his way towards the beautifully constructed pavilion. Sung Jong trails behind him and finds a gayageum instrument set out in the middle of the hexagonal-shaped building. They enter while General Nam remains guarding from the outside. Sung Jong follows the emperor’s steps and takes his time observing the beautiful patterns surrounding him. If Sung Jong was in South Korea, he would not be able to experience this moment since the Hyangwonjeong is off-limits to visitors. He notices that internal part of the pavilion is brightly lit with sunlight from opened windows and the fragrance from the bridge lingers at each corner of the pavilion.

The emperor offers him a bench.

The young man kindly accepts it and sits while the emperor places himself in front of the gayageum instrument. Before Sung Jong is able to question his reasons for being where he is, a breath-taking melody begins to flow from under Myungsoo’s thin pale fingers. They were dancing on the strings of the gayageum. Surprisingly, Sung Jong feels calm and relaxed. He lets the melody sweeps him off his feet and fly him far into the clouds.

As soon as Myungsoo finishes his piece, he asks, “How was it?”

Sung Jong claps his hands in delight, “It was surprisingly wonderful! You played it well! Have you always been practicing?” Myungsoo nods, “Whenever I feel loss, depressed and lonely, this is where I cower myself. This is my cocoon. This is my sanctuary. I treasure it very much. Therefore, I would like to share it with you, Lee Sung Jong.”

The emperor’s sudden words made young man blush a brilliant red, “That’s really nice of you but I do not know how to play the gayageum…”

Swiftly, Myungsoo pats his left thigh and motions for Sung Jong to take a seat, “Come over here, young man.”

At first Sung Jong continuously shakes his head, indicating that he does not fancy the idea of sitting on the emperor, yet the emperor insists by repeatedly patting his thigh. Sung Jong sighs and did what he was told. The emperor wraps his left arm around Sung Jong’s slender built, places his hands on Sung Jong’s and begins to pluck the strings while guiding the young man’s fingers slowly. The same melody begins to play. Sung Jong gasps in delight and tries to memorize the motion of his hands on the strings. This was so he would be able to practice on his own whenever he could visit the pavilion since he has already been given the permission to do so.

“This is my first time playing this instrument… It has a nice feel to it!” Sung Jong beams as they continue to play on the gayageum. However he becomes silent when he notices that emperor is saying nothing in return but only smiling while observing the hyper tailor. “Perhaps you feel better now, Lee Sung Jong?” Myungsoo slowly caresses the younger man’s swollen eyes. Sung Jong smiles weakly and nods, “Thank you, Your Highness…”

“Remember, you are valuable to me. Please, take good care of yourself even when I am not in your sight.”
Sung Jong notices his bitter expression and asks, “Are you leaving for China?”

Surprised by his sharp senses, Hwang Myung chuckles in amusement, “Yes I am. I shall be leaving tomorrow morning. Till then, promise me you will stay alive.”

The tailor nods, “Why would I not be?”

After another round of practice on the gayageum instrument they finally left the pavilion while being escorted by General Nam.

“You really do treasure him, Your Highness.” General Nam smiles as soon as they sent Sung Jong to his chamber. The emperor looks up into the sky and grins, “I guess I do.”

 

I would not let anything taint you, Lee Sung Jong. So, remain by my side.