Cry Me A River

The Emperor's New Clothes

CHAPTER 6 : Cry Me A River
◊Goryeo Empire, 1304
 
 
 


Some nights Lee Sung Jong dreams of him drowning himself in a bathtub. Sometimes he would struggle, yet most nights he consents the vigorous current to wallow him up and set him spiraling into the dark abyss below. Some other nights, vivid images flash across his mind every millisecond. Exposing both the past and his present life; where a pile of both painful and new-found memorable memories unravel themselves little by little till nothing is left. However, just like sand, it slips right through his fingers, leaving its traces and dust, but not a solid presence. Though vague, once he awakens from any of these vile continuous nightmares, he would, unknowingly, latch himself onto his bed and cave into a mess of silent howls and tears. Once he settles down, he would proceeds to chug down hot water and get himself back to his work table. Too tired to fight back, too scared to fall asleep. Call it being ignorant, but there was no doubt that odd things happen in life, and are there for whatever reasons they have. In Lee Sung Jong’s case, he is too scared to know any of them.  
Strangely, there is no reason for him to drown in his own snot and sobs that particular morning. No nightmares, no lack of air, no water and no nothing.
He did cry but it was days ago. 
The young man’s eyes painfully wretch themselves open and force his sight through his dark surroundings.
Dark, yet bright.
The only light source available in that cell is the sunlight, shining through the window situated above his head. High enough to nearly touch the ceiling, high enough to blind his sight to the external.
Limbo?
Unexpectedly, the ropes, which have been attached to his slender body, loosens itself as its captive sways and finally finds himself ground into the dirt below, setting both sand and dust to erupt and settle down on the battered figure. With his aching limbs, he is in no state to shuffle his body to a more comfortable position, to spit the dirt off his lips, let alone to swipe his bangs off his sweaty forehead.
He could run. He could scream yet he did not. 
Tried that, been there, felt that.
True enough, his attempts to launch an extravagant escape was always fruitless. The last time he tried, he found his head shoved into a bowl of water and kept under grips till oxygen begins to drain itself from his lungs. When life nearly left him, his captor pulls him back to reality and probe him on and on with endless questions that do not make sense. Continuously, repeatedly and mercilessly.
“Which dimension have you descended from?”
“Have you jimmied your way through to the Goryeo Emperor as a tailor?”
“Is Hwang Myung plotting a coup d’etat?”
If he disobeys and remains silent throughout the interrogation, no meal awaits him by the end of the day. If he had the spunk, he would answer every each one with, “Go to Hell,” in perfect yet slurred English, which only earned him brutal blows from what seemed like a baton though he never really told what those words meant to his captors. Even so, he does not regret an ounce. If it means to keep Myungsoo safe and spotless, everything is worth the while.
“Everything…” Sung Jong croaks as a tear left his eye. Though, in this situation, there was no need to wipe it off. He might not even live through what comes next to show off his tattered face; his right eye’s bleeding corner, his dry cracked lips and bruised cheeks. Even so, the thought amuses him. Momentarily, he lets out a soft chuckle as he remembers his days back in South Korea; when carriages are cars, paintbrushes are pencils and letters are telephones. How did he even survive a day in Goryeo? How did he even come to believe and accept his fate? How did he even let his feelings wonders itself to the stoic 10th Goryeo emperor, who he once spent hours listening about in an enclosed room filled with daydreaming teenagers during History period? Who knows? Whatever he has now is epic and priceless. Maybe in his afterlife, he could brag about how he time travelled to Goryeo to whoever he is bound to meet. Besides, Lee Sung Jong has finally made up his mind after spending days contemplating and confronting his worries : if there are no other route to solving his current problems, crying would be best. At least, energy is stripped off from his system and allows him to lapse into unconsciousness that serves as his new-found retreat to a better crib than dry hay, ropes and dampness. Perhaps, dying in his sleep now would be better than crying his life out for Myungsoo later when rejection ensues.
Regrettably, these feelings he harbors are inerasable yet inexcusable and downright wrong. It was possible yet then again, what king would overlook his country and love another male? What leader would shove his country down a garbage bin for another male? What emperor slits his own throat for another male?
Surely, none would.
Save a chest load of gold or a man drowning in a quicksand? Ask a politician and you’ll know that he means serious business when he chooses the first option. And, emperors are no exceptions. To make matters worse, Hwang Myung Jong was married to a woman he cherished too much to love others, even after her passing.
Whoever she was, she must have been one heck of a lady.
However paradise ended once Sung Jong finds himself yanked up from the ground and back to the wooden chair by his hair. It hurts but everything is as expected.
Without sparing another minute, the guards present retied the fallen ropes around Sung Jong’s limp body, attaching him to the chair with utmost strength. Once done, an elder man steps in and settles into the seat on the opposite side of the table with a guard on each side.
“Good morning, Lee Sung Jong. Lovely weather we have today, no?” The man chuckles as Sung Jong lazily throws his head back and finally positions it upright so as to have his eyes on par with the other party.
“Well maybe I’d know if you burst that wall back there. So, what? You’re a new face.” Sung Jong sniffs as he purposely spits the dirt from his lips towards the elder man’s direction.
Grimacing at the younger man’s state, the Chinese man shakes his head disapprovingly, “I would be more careful with my words if I were you, boy. Luckily, you have not gone mental. So, I will tell you something good.”
“Save it—’’
“I have come far from China specially to interrogate you today on behalf of emperor Gyu. I am one of his many consultants, but a very favored one out of the lot. Therefore, to put matters simple, today, your life depends on the answers you convey to me.”
Sung Jong stiffly chuckles, “Already tired playing cat and mouse, I see? Too bad. You aren’t getting a whiff from me. I am just a tailor and that is all I have to say.”
The elder man clicks his tongue and raises his eyebrows “I am perfectly aware that you are not the brightest of bulbs but have you not realized your current situation? Look around you. We have batons, basins of water, ropes and chains yet you pick these over freedom? Perhaps you really have gone round the bend!” He booms, “Well if that is the case, how would you like it if I just get this done and over with?”
For a moment, Sung Jong’s eyes widen in surprise yet he manages to scoff and spits, “I am bound to die anyway. You might as well take me on the fast lane. Then you could go and prance back to your lovely emperor. Brag about how I suffered during my last moments. Brag about how you failed miserably in squeezing out any answers from your captive. How joyous.”
Words that spill out of Sung Jong’s lips were not the answers he was expecting. Threatening is no use. There is no effect on his prey yet it only backfired on himself. The Chinese man could feel his pride slowly bruising deep in his mind. He could feel his anger surging up to his nerves and finally transmitting desires to carry out brutal methods of torture to his brains.
He shoots out a finger towards Sung Jong and orders the men by his sides in Chinese.
As fast as lightning, the ropes are cut off from Sung Jong’s figure. With his hands still tied to his back, Sung Jong is then escorted out of the Gyeongbokgung cell, to the open where familiar faces of palace occupants stood with Chinese guards guarding them from leaving. At his sight, some grimaced, some whimpered and some fought, trying to break through the barrier separating the crowd and the front compound of the building. Each displaying expressions he never saw throughout his years as a 19 year old teenager.
What’s going on?
Soon, he finds himself standing under a large, tall wooden tripod with a large rope hung above in the middle with a pulley attached to large horses on the opposite side of the newly built structure.
Sung Jong slowly turns pale. Could this---
“Guards! Execute!” The Chinese elder man booms as he instructs his men to advance on Sung Jong. They proceed to bind both of his ankles securely together with the rope attached to the pulley above and slit a fine line at the bottom on his jaw with a small dagger. Without warning, a Chinese guard whips the horses to surge into a frenzy of gallops, creating tension on the rope, wheeling the pulley and finally sending Sung Jong hanging in midair in an upside-down fashion with blood gradually oozing out from his fresh cut and trickle down his jaw line.
Though the sun’s hot rays flashed him in the eyes, he could still catch glimpses of the palace maidens, ministers, court officials and palace guards wailing at the horrific sight. The sight of a man dying slowly in a very protruding manner. Yet, whether they liked it or not they are forced to stay and watch as life slowly slips from Sung Jong’s fragile fingers. Not too long after, he spots Vice General Dong Woo forcing his way through several Chinese guards followed by two desperate palace maidens. Though in despair, they are still as lovely as ever. Sadly, their eyes refuse to stare back at him directly.
Maybe, if Myungsoo was there, too, he would grimace and glance elsewhere. Whatever it is, Myungsoo does not have to see any of this scenario. Myungsoo does not deserve to witness the things that he treasures crushed and discarded day after day.
Maybe, I will be the last he will lose.
Soon after, fatigue, hunger and pain come crashing in Sung Jong’s system and slowly cradle him to sleep. His eyelids droop, his lips slowly part, his clenched fists relax and his tensed shoulders sag. Creating loud sobs from the audience, which, unexpectedly, amplified into loud stomps and clinks of armor from a distance and gradually, nearer. The men break through the crowd and eventually crashed through the barriers. Finally, the cleared path makes way for a man in his 20s, who exudes large amounts of indescribable anger and prominent authority in a bundle. In a fit of rage, his legs stride forward as he grabs a bow and an arrow from the nearest man in the crowd. With expertise, his long fair fingers insert the arrow in place, and in the next second, the tip of the weapon darted into the palm of the Chinese consultant standing next to the wooden tripod, which results him to fall back in agony while wailing in pain. Alerted, the other Chinese guards begin to advance on the attacker. However, he avoids each and every one of their blows, skillfully delivering his own ruthless stabs. Once he reaches the last guard guarding the horses at the opposite end of the tripod, he swiftly snatches a sword and finally cuts through the thick ropes connecting a hanged limp body to the pulley and the horses. As soon as Sung Jong is removed from the ropes, he is immediately sent to the royal doctor’s quarters for an emergency treatment, leaving the scene.
The injured Chinese consultant huffs in pain as he squints his eyes through the sun’s magnificent gaze and finally manages to make out the outlines of the 10thGoryeo emperor hovering above him with eyes as sharp as daggers while clutching onto the sword he stole from a lacking guard.
“You…! Such behavior! You… you infidel! How dare you---’’ The sentence hung in the air as Hwang Myung proceeds in grabbing a handful of the consultant’s hair and ram his head into the dirt below. Grinding it for a moment before pulling him back up into a sitting position. Without missing a beat, the emperor breaks off the arrow embedded in the consultant’s palm’s flesh, causing the old man to wail loudly, and shoves him by his collor to one of his loyal guards. Then, he instructs his subordinates to gather every each one of the Chinese guards in the palace’s compound to be thrown in the cell together with the consultant for interrogation.
Before abandoning the scene, Hwang Myung glances back into the consultant’s unfaltering traumatized gaze and spits, “Keep them alive.”
 
 

 


The royal doctor was beginning to lapse into sleep when Lee Sung Jong’s eyes slowly flutter open at midnight.
At first, Lee Sung Jong sniffs the air around him and notices the usual lovely smell of chrysanthemums. The feeling of relaxation washes through him till a sudden pang of pain strikes his forehead, automatically sending his hand towards the source of it. However, his actions stop midway when he realizes that his hair is shorter than it originally was and his throat is bandaged.
Oh?
Noh Yi Young, who has just returned from the well to fetch water, drops the basin in her hands and immediately rushes to Sung Jong’s side while the aging doctor fumbles awake from his nap and staggers towards his patient’s bed. 
“Young Master Lee Sung Jong!” They call out to him.
While staring back at his two awed subordinates, Sung Jong slowly props himself onto his forearms and scans his surroundings. Though the scenario seems like déjà vu, he is, yet again, not in his chamber but in a larger room propped with lesser gaudy items and furniture. Instead of the usual royal yellow curtains in most unoccupied rooms in the palace grounds, this room has silver blue silk curtains accompanied with pearl white bed sheets, complimented with black shiny wood furniture. At the opposite side of the room, the young man realizes the presence of a large beautiful painting of what seems to be a phoenix endorsed in silver, white, blue and black streaks of fire situated in between two tall racks occupied with both tattered and new sets of books. Though neat and sophisticated, Sung Jong could not help but feel bothered by how the room emits a strong touch of loneliness and endless expectations.
Where in the world have I landed myself into?
“Young Master Lee? How do you feel?” The doctor leans in nearer to Sung Jong’s face and begins to examine his eyes and throat while the young palace maiden dispatched herself from the room to fetch another new basin of water.
With a dazed expression plastered on his face, Sung Jong replies back, “Doctor, I.. I feel… exhausted?”
The doctor nods and begins to prod him with various other questions concerning his health and crave for food in which he states that he wishes to have a meal as soon as possible. “It seems that you require more rest, Master Lee. Therefore, I would recommend for you to be away from your work table as much as possible. Avoid any form of stress and never skip your daily meals.”
Sung Jong leans onto the wooden frame of the bed as he nods to the doctor’s every advice. As soon as he was given medicine and cleaned with a wet cloth by Noh Yi Young, Sung Jong asks, “What happened? Wasn’t I at the Gyeongbokgung cell?”
The doctor and Noh Yi Young exchanged glances till one of them answers, “Yes, apparently. However while you were unconscious, Hwang Myung’s party arrived back in Goryeo safely. Before the situation went from bad to worse, Your Highness arrested the Chinese men and saved your life, Master Lee.”
Sung Jong’s ears perk at the name of his savior and blushes. Even so, the feeling was immediately replaced by a sudden pang of guilt. Sung Jong frowns and chews on a nail nervously, “What about the Chinese emperor? Wouldn’t he know about this incident sooner or later?”
The doctor purses his lips. He tried to think up the right words to say but finally decided to leave the question as it is. Whatever happened on that day can’t easily slip pass that cunning of an emperor. This can’t be impossible as the presence of spies within the confines of the Gyeongbokgung palace is not news flash anymore. Anytime soon, the palace occupants shall be expecting loads of scrolls stamped with emperor Gyu’s royal seal : Probably pushing all of the blame onto Hwang Myung for not being able to manage internal affairs well despite being emperor.
When the tension caused by their sudden silence in thought grows thicker, Vice General Dong Woo and Oh Hye Rin come barging in with a bouquet of chrysanthemums and a tray of hot porridge, “I heard he woke up?” They said in unison.
As fast as it came, the heavy atmosphere is immediately replaced with a lighter and sunnier feel though the outside has nothing but endless pitch black. “Keep your voice low, children.” The doctor hisses but his patient only chuckles and throws his arms wide open, “Porridge! I am famished!”
 
 
 

 
 

The Chinese man’s eyes abruptly open and a sharp gasp escapes his mouth once his face came into contact with hot boiling water. The pain kicked him in the guts and forced him to howl in pain and shuffle uncomfortably in his seat, trying to pry free from the strong thick ropes convoluted on him. Unfortunately, his efforts are in vain. There is no use in struggling. There is no use in screaming. There is no use of seeking help because in this enclosed room, he knows that he is bound to be chewed up and he perfectly knows that someone is going to make sure that he does not waltz out without a scratch. That man even spat that he is not to be seen crawling out alive. As expected, after spending 50 years of life being pampered and basked in riches back in mainland China, it seems that whatever brutality that he is forced to experience recently, nearly drove him mad.
“Wide awake now, are you not?” A deep voice resonates through the darkness.
The captive’s eyes dart across the room and finally finds himself staring back at a handsome, lean man dressed primly in a hongryongpo, complete with Goryeo’s traditional accessories, including the ikseongwan. However, upon his memory of the brutal string of events that followed after the day of Sung Jong’s supposed public death sentence, the elder man begins sweating and trembling in his wake.
“Hwang… Hwang Myung… I…” Before he is able to complete his sentence, the 10th Goryeo emperor already has a baton in hand. He proceeds in continuously using the object to slap his captive across the face without removing his glare. Shortly, there are sounds of bone snapping as well as large amounts of blood gushing out from the nostrils of his prey. For days since Sung Jong's rescue, this has been going on. Yet, the disdained emperor felt no need to stop. Hwang Myung thought to himself : Does this pain and blood amounts to what Sung Jong had felt?
With a tightened jaw, Hwang Myung sends the baton flying and crashing into the nearest wall before picking up a small dagger from a wooden table situated at one of corners in the cell. He captures the Chinese man by his swollen cheeks and presses the blade up against his throat.
Finally attempting to take hold of his current situation, the Chinese consultant blurts out, “Please have mercy, Hwang Myung! I was only executing emperor Gyu’s orders! That is---’’
Abruptly, the grip around his cheeks tightens and his head is yanked upwards, forcing his eyes to come into contact with two pools of deadpan eyes.
“You should have thought twice before touching what is mine, Mr. Consultant. Hmm, rather than words, let me show you again what happens when you do.” Without further delay, his hands skillfully trails a deep clear line under the jaw of his captive with the dagger in his grip. Then, blood begin to ooze out from the fresh cut. Yet again, Hwang Myung thought to himself : Does this pain amounts to what Sung Jong had felt?
Hwang Myung grunts as he steps back from the screaming man, dagger in one hand. Raising his palm, a nearby guard quickly takes the dirtied shag and replaces it with a baton that is as long as a baseball bat, a baton that was used to tender hard meat meant to eat. 
And that is exactly what he will be. 
The emperor, without his mind at the moment, raises the baton up till above his shoulders and delivers the first blow right onto the victim's right torso. Exhilarated, Hwang Myung let his hand and mind go free, till even the guards had to look away and swallow their vomit. Blood splattered against every surface, and Hwang Myung wasn't himself as his eyes go black and his lips curled up into an eerie curve because oh, oh, when was the last time has he felt this empowered? With blood staining his prey, Hwang Myung is menacing a complete yin and yang to his usual demeanor. Like a new found drug, Hwang Myung enjoys the symphony of breaking bones and squished organs. 
Unexpectedly, a strong force ripped the emperor from his prey, forcing his eyes to clash with those of terrified beautiful, mesmerizing brown orbs. His terrified beautiful, mesmerizing brown orbs.
“What… are you doing?”
Unable to make a dignified sound, Hwang Myung just stood there and stared. His mind processing the current siatuation. 
Sung Jong sounds disgusted with me… What have you done, Hwang Myung Jong.
Instead of explaining himself and blurting out words of apology and assurance, the emperor angrily discards the oversized baton from his blood-stained fingers.
“What do you think you are doing, Lee Sung Jong? Who granted you access here?”
Sung Jong freezes and immediately gulps back his words he thought of spouting to retaliate. However, before he is able to apologize, Hwang Myung grabs Sung Jong by the wrist with his clean left hand and shoves him out of the cell as he orders the guards guarding from the outside, “Guide him back to my chamber.”   

 

 
 

Lee Sung Jong was unable to get a wink of sleep after his companions left him that evening. He tossed and turned around on his bed, yet nothing seemed to help solve his problem. And so, he decided to seek Myungsoo. He walked about the palace grounds and finally ran into a separated building from the Gyeongbokgung cells, where light was pouring out from the windows. The palace guards who were on duty strictly forbade him from stepping in. However, curiosity overpowered him. He slipped past the tall guards successfully but quickly comes to regret his impulsive attitude once he finds himself landed in the midst of his Myungsoo conducting unbelievable gory stunts.
Finally, he was sent back to the room he was in before. The neat and sophisticated chamber.
Instead of resting his head against the pillow, sleeping and erasing the events he recently witnessed, Sung Jong waits on the edge of the bed with his legs curled up against his chest and his teeth nervously chewing on a nail. Every now and then, his eyes would dart up from the floor to the doors while mentally preparing himself to face the worst.
That wasn't Myungsoo. It can't be. With his face covered in blood like that- oh! NO. It't not my Myungsoo, just a spectre. Something my mind made up because the real Myungsoo is kind and gentle. He would never do such things. Right?
But deep inside, Sung Jong knows that it is indeed true no matter how he chooses not to accept it. He just can't forget the gentle Myungsoo he knows is there, yet the doppelganger he just say isn't just made up. Everything he sees is with his own eyes. 
He tries to arrange words from thoughts and rehearses them so he would be able to convey them perfectly to the young emperor. However, once Myungsoo stepped in through the two double-sided doors with a blood-drenched gwanbok, the words dissipated from his mind together with his concerns. His feelings are then replaced by utter confusion and regret.
Hwang Myung only stops momentarily to glance at a surprised teenager before he proceeds to slip out a new set of hongryongpo from a mahogany cupboard. He was about to exit when Sung Jong accidentally blurts out with a cracked voice, “Could you… at least explain what had happened back there?”
Without stopping in his tracks, Myungsoo coldly replies, “Whatever you saw is already a complete picture. Do not let it bother you and go to sleep. I believe it is already past—’’
“Complete picture? Simplify it for me to understand, then…”
“There is no need for such thing.”
“But I need to know…”
Through gritted teeth Myungsoo mumbles, “It does not concern you.”
“Ridiculous! You were not being yourself! The… The 10th Goryeo emperor I know is gentle! He would not… He wouldn’t hurt others for threatening his country, would he!? He would not let comments and opinions and- and petty reasons get to his head… Yet, you would not explain for your sudden change of personality?”
Hwang Myung finally stands still near the doors with his fists clenched into tight white balls, digging his nails into his palms.
“Quit making things complex for me to catch up with your pace… I am tired of waiting day by day to figure out what is really going about in your mind. Just---’’
Without warning Myungsoo slowly turns around with eyes displaying a chewed up heart. Eyes that attempt to force back tears from pouring. Eyes that hope his precious tailor would understand.  
He would saunter over to the slender figure, lift him off the ground and flood his innocent pink ears with sweet nothings. Smolder him with kisses and cradle him to sleep in his arms.
 
Never leave me.
Forever be mine.
Spend your days worrying about me.
Think about me.
Yearn for me.
Need me.
Love me, Sung Jong.
 
However, a disgusting and impure man such as himself would never deserve such paradise. How could have he selfishly left without considering his crown jewel's safety? How could have he permit anyone to ever lay a blow on him? How? 
Neverthless, everything is as clear as diamonds. Hwang Myung Jong has a devil within himself and devils are meant to rot in Hell eternally. Never to step into Eden nor taste the joys of love. 
While Sung Jong is as innocent as a newborn infant. An angel to boot and an angel who deserves better. 
Do not wait up.”
With that said, the emperor left his chamber with a determined back, leaving a broken and limp young man trembling on his bed as newly formed pearls of tears slowly make their way down swollen cheeks.
 
 

Please come back.
 
 
 
A/N: I know that this is considered late but I would love to dedicate my deepest appreciation to the lovely Beta-nim who has helped me through and through till this chapter. Without her encouragement and guindance, I wouldn't be able to last since the 1st chapter. LOL. Without further ado, I present you... lovey_doveyky! *throws colourful confetti around* Thank you for helping your amateur junior~ ^^