Kimi wa boku no - Everything

Kimi wa boku no - Everything

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol has finally finished high school and has already qualified to become a student in one of Korea's prestigious university - Dongguk.

He is an intelligent lad. In fact, he passed his entrance exam in Seoul National University - Korea's most prestigious university.

But what made him choose Dongguk over Seoul National University?

It's none other than Seohyun - his favorite "Noona."

She's four years older than him and an incoming senior Dentistry student in Dongguk school of Dentistry.

Chanyeol is a talented drummer, guitarist, bassist, and pianist. He even raps superbly, that most of his friends in high school thinks that he is a musical prodigy and thought that he would take Music as his major in college. Even his parents were expecting the same thing.

But NO! He chooses Dongguk over Seoul National and chooses Dentistry over Theatre Arts Music.

What's his reason behind this unexpected decision?

Obviously, it is because of his Seohyun-noona. He's been in love with her for a very long time.

Their is already a struggle to him since their childhood. Seohyun was a senior high school student the moment he entered high school. And he has seen her lesser and lesser when she started studying in the university. And because he is four years younger than her, Seohyun has always seen him as her younger brother.

 

Seohyun is an only daughter, that's why when Chanyeol's family moved in their neighborhood she instantly befriended him.

He spent most of his childhood with her, they became best of friends. And she had technically watched him over as her younger sibling as they grow up.

A lot of girls have been admiring him since middle school. He is an Ulzzang and musically talented. His parents groomed him to become a Girls' Dream boy, but that did not make him look to other girls.

Silently, though sometimes obviously, he admired Seohyun. And as they grow up, it eventually turns into love.

 

 

 

It was his first day in Dongguk, the place was completely unfamiliar to him, and everyone was a complete stranger to him. Well, except for one person.

He looked at his wristwatch, it says 8:27 am, approximately thirty-three minutes before his first class. "Perfect," he muttered to himself.

He recalled that Seohyun said to him during their last week's phone conversation that she has a Clinic class in the Dental grounds by that time.

So he took out the university's vicinity map from his backpack and looked for the Dental ground's location. He began walking with all smiles plastered on his face. Finally, I'm going to see you Seohyun-noona.

Meanwhile, Seohyun was busy tending three patients all at the same time. Certainly, their Clinic Class is more exhausting than their PE during freshmen days.

She was silent and focused applying tooth amalgam in one of her patients' molar when a tall and good-looking guy approached her and suddenly pulled her ponytail off of her hair.

"I told you, you look better with your hair down, Seo." he was definitely trying to get her attention.

"Dr. Wu, please. I'm working." she forewarned, not diverting her attention to him. "Please put my ponytail in my lab gowns pocket now. Don't pull my ponytail like that next time."

"...or you'll get mad at me?" he abridged her statement. It's her cliché which he always hears from her almost every day.

"Yes. I will REALLY get mad at you next time!"

"Pretty but stingy," he smirked as he entertained the patient who was sitting on the dental seat next to Dr. Seo's patient.

"I am, so stop," she admitted.

"That's why I like you, and I like you more and more each day."

Dr. Kris Wu is one of Seohyun's seatmates, partner, and companion since her freshman days. When they reached the third year, he began courting her.

He's witty, extremely good-looking and came from a famous family of dentists. But what's wrong with Dr. Wu is that he has a player reputation before he began courting Seohyun, which became his major turn-off in her part.

She doesn't really hate him despite the fact that he really knows how to annoy her. In fact, she considers him as one of her close companions in the university aside from Dr. Im Yoona.

Her hand phone suddenly beeped from her lab gowns pocket. She did not pay attention to it until it rings and Dr. I’m called her attention.

"Seo Joo Hyun, pick-up your admirer's call! Can you show a little compassion to them?" she jokingly yelled at her.

Seohyun's one of Dongguk's school belle, just like Dr. Im but unlike the doe-eyed dentist she isn't as friendly and is not fond entertaining suitors. In their good-looking set of the clique, she's the considered as the Serious type.

"I'm not done yet." she was carefully doing the last touches of the amalgam details on her patient's teeth. So Dr. Im picked her handphone inside her lab gown's pocket for her instead.

"Sheesh, it's your Park Channie this time!" she read the name of the caller. "Hyun, you're really some -"

She swiftly snatched her handphone from her friend's hand and answered the call. "Yeobosaeyo, Yeol?"

Dr. Wu and Dr. Im quickly noticed the sudden mood change with her tone and how her face suddenly lightened up the moment she answered the call.

"Weird stuff," Kris muttered.

"Noona, I'm here in front of the Dental grounds entrance, there are so many patients lining up here."

"Really?" she looked direction of the Dental grounds entrance. "Where?"

"I'm seeing you from here noona! I'll wave my hands and jump!" and so he did.

Seohyun laughed the moment she saw him. He's obviously tall and he doesn't really need to jump for him to be seen - typical Chanyeol.

She waved her hand and beckoned him to where she was.

Finally, they've met each other again after three months. She has been very busy traveling from the countryside to another to fulfill her duty as a dental doctor. They've been talking to each other over the phone at least once or twice in a week but it's still a different thing if they would meet and spend some time with each other.

Like the old days, Chanyeol's the happiest person whenever his Seohyun-noona is around.

"Seo-noona..." a wide smile has been plastered on his face. He can't even close his mouth admiring how she extremely looks good wearing her uniform with her long and slightly wavy hair down.

"Yeol!" she automatically ruffled his hair as a greeting.

He eventually blushed at the act. "Seo-noona, how can you still do this? There are so many people, it's embarrassing."

She suddenly cupped his face and started pinching his cheeks. "What's wrong Yeol? Aren't you happy seeing me?"

"It's not that but -"

"How could you grow so tall like this?" she even pinched his cheeks harder, "...but Yeollie is still my cute dongsaeng, right?" She still called him with her usual silly endearment. Yeollie.

"N-neh, Seo-noo-" he shyly replied, when Seohyun suddenly held his hand and introduced him to her friends.

"Kris-oppa, Yoona-unnie, this is my cute dongsaeng Chanyeol, Park Chanyeol."

"Annyeong hasaeyo, Park Chanyeol-imnida." he bowed and greeted her friends formally.

Yoona finds him really adorable, while Kris raised his eyebrow noticing her fondness over her dongsaeng.

"Hello Chanyeol, I'm Im Yoona." the doe-eyed girl offered her hand to the young lad for a handshake "It's the first day for freshmen today, what's your course and how are you feeling?" she asked him as if he's still a little kid.

"Uh, Yoona-noona, of course, I-I'm excited. I'm also a dentistry student." he shook hands with her.

"Yoong, you sound so much like a pedo!" Kris playfully accused the doe-eyed girl as he casually put his arm around Chanyeol's shoulder.

"Call me Kris-hyung, and if you want I will tour you around Dongguk this afternoon." he cheekily smiled, "...you're such a fortunate kid Seohyun's so nice to you."

Seohyun took off Kris' arm around Chanyeol and gripped to her dongsaeng's hand tight. "Kris back-off, Yeol is a good boy if I let him hang around with you I might see my baby-Yeol a player like you."

"Don't worry Hyun-noona, that will not happen," he reassured her.

"Come on Hyun!" Kris protested. "I have forgotten all the girls in the world when I started liking you." he casually confessed.

Chanyeol felt a sudden tinge of tension by the way Kris looks at his Seohyun-noona. He must have confessed to her like a joke, but he percieved that it's an honest confession.

"Yeol must have been the luckiest kid in your neighborhood for growing up as best friends with you, Hyun." then Kris turned to Chanyeol. "Yeol, is it okay to you if Kris-hyung will be your Hyun-noona's boyfriend?"

Definitely NO! He did not answer him but the way he narrowed his eyebrows say it all. He was protesting.

"Yeol-ah, don't listen to his nonsense. Is your first class around 9'oclock? It's almost nine, you'll be late." Seohyun reminded him.

It was a brief meeting, but his day was already complete for seeing his Seohyun-noona that morning after three months. He definitely missed her. And he could not deny it made his heart skipped one beat that her endearing treatment did not change at all. Well, it would have been perfect if she will quit looking at him as her little brother.

But at the same time, he felt threatened by his Kris-hyung. He's undeniably close to her and has all the time in the world to be with his Seohyun-noona. Enough for him to wish to become four years older so he may enjoy all the perks of being treated as a man who's same age with her and not receiving a special attention all because he is her "Adorable Dongsaeng."

Though he believes that "age is just a number", there are times that it pisses him off. There are times that he would want to show her how much he cares for her or if he wanted to protect her. But Seohyun seems not getting his sincerity; he always ended up being treated as a little kid. Be it a decision, a goal, or his true feelings.

Days became weeks and weeks turned into months that Chanyeol’s very first semester was about to end. He never regrets attending Dongguk University even for a day as he gets to see his Seohyun-noona every single day.

It became their habit to go home together every Thursdays and Fridays. Just like the old days, the only difference is that he's the one sending her home now. He always wishes that days should always be Thursdays and Fridays.

It is not that they have the same schedule during those days, Chanyeol’s Thursday-Friday last class ends at four o’clock in the afternoon while Seohyun’s class ends up at seven in the evening. Meaning, he would patiently wait for three long hours just to walk her home.

Enough reason for Kris and Yoona to suspect his unrequited feelings towards his Seohyun-noona. Who would make such great effort to wait for someone consistently for that long if he is just a ‘dongsaeng’ to her?

Seohyun often defends him to them, that Chanyeol is just purely a sweet kid who would not let her go home late alone. Someone who would treat her gentlest because they grow up together – he grew up being her younger brother.

There are times that he just wanted them to let them be, he doesn’t really want her to defend all his acts for it speaks of what he sincerely feel about her -  more than just a younger brother, as a man to be exact.

But by judging her treatment towards his Kris-hyung, and to her several other suitors, he chose to be neutral, and suppress everything inside him.

 

 

 

It was a random Friday evening and as usual, Chanyeol was patiently waiting in the hallway where Seohyun’s classroom is located.

Three hours is so long to be idle that he took advantage to study his daily lessons or occasionally play his mini-piano, which made him popular with other girls.

Finally, it was 7 PM. A smile instantly crept on his lips as he stopped playing his mini-piano. His audiences were disappointed by him for not finishing the song that he was playing. But how could he care more about it if it is their "Fridate?"

Students began stepping out from Seohyun’s class, and so as their professor. It was unusual that Seohyun has not gone out yet, she would usually be the one rushing out of the room whenever he is around. He waited for another minute, Yoona finally came out.

He approached her and asked, ‘’Yoona-noona, where’s Seohyun-noona?’’

The doe-eyed girl did not answer him immediately but just smiled at him giddily. Then she beckoned him to look at the small window of the classroom door to see who was inside.

‘’Yeol-ah, Kris is proposing to Seohyun right now.’’

‘’Ah – ‘’ he couldn’t give her a proper answer. It couldn’t be. He was witnessing how grand his Kris-hyung was proposing to his Seohyun-noona – the whole classroom was full of red roses, Kris was holding a bouquet of one-hundred pink and white roses, while Seohyun was standing at the center of a heart made of assorted rose petals and was surrounded by scented candles. He could not help it but feel jealous over him.

Surely, Kris meant that he is sincere towards Seohyun. Chanyeol also has sincere feelings towards her. However, their difference is that Kris expresses it freely.

"He said that he would never do such cheesy stuff, but looks who's the cheesiest person now?" the doe-eyed girl blurted out.

"N-neh, Kris-hyung is surely sweet." he half-heartedly agreed. He slowly felt that his chest feels stuffy inside.

Though they cannot hear what the other two were talking about inside, when Seohyun accepted Kris' bouquet of flowers Chanyeol started to silently tear up, but he managed to bare watching them.

"Thanks for this Kris, but try again next time. You know that I'm not up to relationships right now." Seohyun straightforwardly told him.

He heaved his frustration. He was turned down by her for the nth time.

He scratched his crown intensely, making himself look silly on purpose in order to lessen the obvious awkwardness surrounding them.

"How did I fall for such indifferent girl like you, Seo?"

"I'm really sorry Kris."

"It's okay..." he chuckled."...it's not like it's the first time you've turned me down. You've been turning me down every day for two years; it's just that it's the very first time I did this cheesy thing for someone."

Kris' eyes suddenly glistened; she knew that even though the latter was taking things lightly he couldn't hide that he got hurt.

So she beckoned him to get closer and gave him a hug. "I'm really sorry Kris. But no matter what I do, I couldn't pull myself to like someone. Do you want me to become a bad girlfriend to you?"

"I told you it's okay, Hyun!" he hugged her tighter, "...there will be no change if you're going to be a bad girlfriend to me when you've always treated me badly." he started laughing, then he asked, "Tell me. Why can you not pull yourself to like someone? Are you waiting for someone already?"

A moment of silence took place when Seohyun did not answer his question immediately. Then she eventually broke the hug and knocked his forehead hard, "Silly!"

"But seriously Hyun -" he insisted.

"It's not yet time for me to love someone. Besides, what I like to happen is really awkward."

Judging the way her eyes spark when she mentioned her last statement, he knew that she's already into someone. She's just not the outspoken type. He perceived what she meant by awkward exactly.

"Tell him that I'm so jealous of him!"

He received another hit on his forehead. "What are you saying?"

"I know what you mean by saying that what you want to happen is really awkward, Hyun." he started teasing her and began poking her sides. "He wouldn't let his eyes turn white for waiting on you. I'm sure he loves you too!"

"I don't know what you're saying." she denied.

Kris looked at the door and saw Yoona and Chanyeol watching them."Hyun, just look at your alligator friend. She couldn't even close again. She's even teaching Yeol to peak."

He beckoned her to hold his hand,

"It's getting late, let's go now?"

She unhesitatingly grabbed his hand, and asked, "What's with this holding hands stuff?"

"Let's just pretend that you're my girlfriend until we left this room. You know, let's satisfy that alligator-Yoong's fantasies just for tonight!" Seohyun smiled and gripped his hand tighter. Then they walked out and meet the two.

"Yeol-ah!" Kris endearingly ruffled the young lad's newly permed hair. "How could you be as handsome as me?" 

The doe-eyed girl cackled at Kris' self-centeredness. "Look at this person, it doesn't mean that you made someone your girlfriend tonight also means that you're the most handsome dentist here in Dongguk!"

Seohyun seconded as she started laughing hard, "Neh, my dongsaeng cute and handsome at the same time. In four years time, I bet he will look way, way better! Right Yeol?"

The young lad’s huge ears instantly turned red by her complement. He couldn't answer her properly and just looked down.

Eventually, his attention was diverted to Seohyun's free hand and saw that she was still wearing an old silver bracelet that has an engraved Japanese phrase: Kimi wa boku no - everything.  He has given it to her as a congratulatory present for making it to Dongguk four years ago.

Did she already figure out its meaning?

 

 

 

 

 

Flashback:

It was a rainy day when Park family arrived from their month-long vacation in Japan.

Chanyeol missed his Seohyun-noona that he wanted to go to their house as soon as possible as he could. But then, the rain poured even harder that all he could do was to wait for it until it stops.

He was busy playing his guitar inside his room when their telephone rang. It was Seohyun on the line.

"Yeobeosaeyo, Seo-noona." he answered with an obviously disappointed tone. "...I wish I could go there, this rain's is really annoying."

"You must've missed me a lot don't you?" Seohyun laughed at his childishness. Hence, she missed it for a month. "The rain must be really annoying, but today's rain is a blessing, Yeol. I got accepted in Dongguk!" Happiness was undeniable from her voice as she relayed the news to the latter.

"Really?"

"Neh Yeol. Great right?"

Their conversation suddenly got cut as the young lad put down the phone and got the dainty pink jewelry box on his study table. Then he rushed outside their house without telling a word to his parents and went in front of Seohyun's house

She was still on the telephone, still figuring out why their conversation suddenly got cut. Then she heard their doorbell rang. It couldn't be.

But like what she had expected, the young lad really rushed in the rain to see her.

"Yeol, it's raining heavily you shouldn't rush -"

Chanyeol suddenly took out the pink jewelry box from his pocket and took out the silver bracelet inside it then wore it to her left wrist. "Congratulations Seohyun-noona!"

He was smiling widely, his huge eyes sparks bright telling her that he's sincerely happy for her.

She was in awe for a moment that her heart flutters by just looking at him. "T-thank you, Yeol."

He shook his soaking wet head to dry his hair a little. The rain was so cold, that he was not able to control himself and sneezed, "It's because noona did great."

Seohyun pulled him inside their house to their living room to dry up.

They were in the midst of playing their favorite Final Fantasy quest game in Play Station 2 when she noticed the engraved Japanese phrase on her new bracelet.

"What does this mean, Yeol? She asked.

"It's up for you to find out noona."

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol was not even making a sound as they walked home and it was so unusual to Seohyun since the young lad is such a loud mouth whenever they are together.

Is he upset about something?  It was worrisome for her to see him with such kind of expression.

‘’Yeol, why are you so quiet? Care to share your problem with me?’’

‘’Nothing Seo-noona.’’ He did not even turn to her.

‘’Come on my dear nam-dongsaeng.’’ She insisted. ‘’…I know you very well.’’ She literally jumped and put her arm around his neck and playfully dodged him. ‘’You’ve just grown this tall, but to me, you’re still that little Channie I have loved to care a lot. So you better spill that!’’

Yeah right, I’m your little brother Chanyeol, your cute little brother. Is that all I am to you Seohyun-noona?

Hearing that little brother from her again just made him feel more upset. He slowly put her arm off of him. ‘’ How about you Seohyun-noona? I bet you’re so happy today.’’

She got puzzled and tried to figure out if he was asking him or if he’s implying something. ‘’Well, I’m always happy Yeol.’’

‘’Kris-hyung’s a very lucky person. I’m glad for him.’’ he smiled, but his eyes weren’t as bright as she recalls whenever he means something.

‘’Like I don’t know when you mean what you say.’’ she sharply uttered and stopped him in place. She cupped his face with her hands, ‘’Why? What’s wrong? You tell me why you are wearing such long face?’’

‘’Nothing.’’ He denied, avoiding her gaze.

‘’Did you had a fight with your girl friend?’’

‘’No.’’ this time, he tried to look at her. How could she ask him such question if he had never dared to look at somebody else other than her? ‘’…I never had a girlfriend noona. Not even once.’’

She raised an eyebrow giving him a suspicious look, ‘’Not even once? You’re a guy with a very handsome face Channie! How is that possible?’’

‘’I’m NOT gay if you’re thinking that way, Seohyun-noona!’’ he defended himself retrieving his face from her touch.

‘’Then what?’’

‘’I’m waiting for someone. That’s it.’’ He turned his back on her and fastened his pace.

‘’Then who is she?’’ Seohyun asked almost shouting.

But she got no answer from the latter.

‘’Kimi wa boku no – Everything?’’ She spoke out loud and catches up.

He was halted in his place as he heard her spoke the Japanese phrase that was engraved on the bracelet.

 

Did she know it already?

 

His heartbeat started beating faster, he already wanted to run but he couldn’t move an inch from where he was standing. Suddenly, he felt her soft hands on his, and eventually, she intertwined her fingers with his.

‘’Kimi wa boku no – Everything?’’ she teasingly repeated. ‘’You think I wouldn’t know? You should have given it to a less intelligent person.’’

He closed his eyes as embarrassment heightens up inside him. He already wanted to pop out like a bubble.

Then he felt her soft and warm lips on his cheek, he slowly opened his eyes and carefully looked at his periphery still cringing. He saw that his Seohyun-noona was tip-toeing, and like his favorite fairytale – she was really kissing him.

‘’H-h-how did you know?’’ he asked stuttering.

‘’…That I’m your Everything?’’ she giggled seeing how nervous and pale he was. ‘’Maybe we’ve been both waiting Yeol. I’m sorry if I was born earlier than you.’’