Lost, Again

Jumping to Conclusions

My brain couldn’t quite process the words I seemed to be hearing. I stared at him blankly.

 

Joon, feeling the many eyes on us at the moment, pouted. I knew he felt the pressure too. “Eun Mi, you aren’t going to reject me in front of all these people, are you?” He asked, worry imprinted in his tone.

 

I looked up at his hopeful eyes and blinked, swallowing. I still couldn’t believe that this was happening to me. Calm down. I told myself, taking a deep breath.

 

“Eun Mi?” Joon asked me again.

 

I could feel all the thoughts running wild in my brain, going a mile a second. Isn’t this a lifetime opportunity for someone like me? I silently asked myself before finally deciding. “Okay,” I announced quietly, my voice slightly shaky. “I’ll be your partner.” I watched in amusement as Joon’s eyes lit up, and a huge smile appeared on his face. I returned his grin with one of my own, and was shocked when he suddenly broke eye contact and his smile fell.

 

“Hmm...” Joon rubbed his chin, seemingly deep in thought.

 

“What is it?” I inquired, worriedly. Did I do something wrong?

 

“Nothing...” He replied. “I was just...wondering what our team name should be.” Joon looked over at me and flashed me another devious smile, and I laughed at his cheekiness. My laugh was cut off short when Joon suddenly pulled me in for a brief hug.

 

Just as the bell began to ring, he whispered in my ear, “Meet me at the music class after school.” Joon held my hand up and entwined my pinky in his. “Eun Mi, you promised!” He yelled happily as he pointed to me and backed away to the classroom door to enjoy his break.

 

I gave him a little wave and giggled as he crashed into a group of students. The sliding door slammed shut and I was in the room all by myself. I collapsed on a chair, and that’s when the guilt sunk in.

 

Yoseob was going to ask me to be his partner...I rubbed my face tiredly. I clearly remembered the disappointed look on his face when Joon unknowingly cut in front of him to ask me. I never thought that such a dilemma would present itself to me. I sighed. Mianhae, Yoseob. I apologized to him silently in my mind.


 

I looked left and right, sighing for the upteenth time that day. I was lost. Again.

 

I mentally face palmed. Stupidly, I had forgotten to ask Joon where the music classroom even was. Luckily for me, however, after wandering listlessly around with Yoseob earlier today, I seemed to get a better understanding of where everything was. I found the empty classroom in only five minutes.

 

I grabbed the handle of the door and slid it open. I stepped in, my footsteps echoing quietly.

 

The classroom was darker than I thought it would be. The only light that lit up the room was filtered through one big window on the right side. This room was set up to look somewhat like a college class. The seats looked like long wooden benches, and in front of them were rectangular spaces to write on. In front of each table was another bench-like seat, and in turn that seat was connected to another table, and so on and so forth. The whole thing slanted downwards and there was a pathway in the middle that led to a space for performances.

 

I placed one foot in front of the other and shuffled down the steps to the makeshift stage. Joon’s not here yet. I thought, looking around the dim class. I wonder why he called me here?

 

A series of loud crashes and yells were heard from behind a door in the back of the room. Startled and worried, I ran over to the door and found a drumset that collapsed. And a person underneath all of the mess.

 

“Joon?” I ask, worriedly. I ran into the unusually large storage room and start pulling the drums off of him.

 

He looked up and chuckled. “Didn’t expect to greet my partner like this.” He too, began pushing the drum set off of himself.

 

Another clang echoed throughout the music room when a symbol fell off of the set. Oops… I gently picked it up and put it on a shelf after getting Joon up from underneath everything. I looked over at him with a worried look. His uniform was covered in dust and dirt from the unclean floor. Although it was barely visible, there was a scrape hiding beneath his short uniform sleeve.

 

“Joon… you got cut.” I walked up to him and lifted his arm for me to inspect the wound. “It doesn’t look too bad. But we should probably go to the nurse just in case.” Still gripping onto his arm, I pulled him out of the storage room, out to the music room, and into the halls.

 

“No. No. It’s fine. Really.” He pulled back reluctantly but I continued to drag him around the corner, hoping that the nurses office would be there. After going up and down some stairs, I heard someone laughing behind me.

“You really don’t know this school well do you?” He smiled and raised a finger, pointing to the right. “The nurses office is this way. You passed it awhile ago but didn’t notice. Haha.” He walked down the hall and into a room on the right side. I stood there, embarrassed, before running after him. I’m guessing it was a bad idea to drag him like that.

 

 


A/N: So... Merry Christmas everyone! Sorry I haven't updated in such a long time >.<