Two People With No Sense of Direction

Jumping to Conclusions

I stared at my phone in shock. I couldn't tear my eyes away from the enormous crack on it. It traveled all the way from the top right of the screen, to the bottom left.

 

Closing my eyes, I tried hard to calm down. Why does everything go wrong for me, especially on my first day of school? I thought, frustrated. I turned to glare at the student responsible for the fracture on my phone. Yoseob, right his name is Yoseob. The boy wilted underneath the intensity of my stare and apologized once more. “It wasn’t completely my fault!” He defended himself. “You weren’t looking where you were going either!”

 

At his words, I felt my body slump. It was all true, and I knew it. Looking at the cracked phone in my hand, I once again, tried to text Minhyun, but all that was shown was a black screen.  I sighed in defeat, and gave up. Not being able to look at it anymore, I gingerly tucked it into my pocket, away from sight. “I kind of lost my way...” I confessed to Yoseob. “Do you think you could help me find the way to class? You have Teacher Jung too, right?" I asked tentatively.

 

Yoseob shifted his feet and hung his head low. He took a step back breaking the close distance between us. "Uhh. Yeah I wish I could, but I'm sort of lost too."

 

I looked at him and almost laughed, if not for my conscience. He looked so shy and embarrassed. Just now he was laughing and talking with a group of guys outside. He seemed so confident but, then just like the wind, it was gone.  I was then reminded that he probably could have asked his new friends for directions. So, why was he alone?

 

"What happened to your friends?" I asked, and immediately gave myself a mental punch. I couldn’t believe I had just said that. I sound so rude right now.

 

Yoseob looked at me and shivered. "Eun Mi, you have no idea. All of these girls were following me around. It was creepy so I hid in the bathroom for a bit. I know that sounds weird, but it worked." He smiled happily, like a kid who had just received candy.

 

"Oh, I see." I responded, nodding even though I didn’t really understand. Then, I quickly checked the time. , I thought. "We should get to class. We're already 10 minutes late."

 

"What?" He asked, surprised. Yoseob checked his watched and his eyes almost popped out. I couldn't help but laugh at him. So, he’s a good student after all. I thought.

 

"Why are you laughing? We need to get to class... class... where is the class...?" He looked around and started to walk down the long hallway.

 

I followed behind him closely and sighed. This is going take a while.

 

We spent the next ten minutes, going up and down stairs, trying to find the right class. Teachers in their respective classes were giving us weird looks through the glass walls. Does it seem like we’re a couple ditching class, or something? I thought to myself, looking over at Yoseob.

 

He looked like a lost puppy searching for it’s owner, with his panicked eyes and mouth wide open. Nah... I thought again, an unconscious smile spreading on my lips.

 

Unfortunately for me, he caught it. “Why’re you smiling at me? Is it because I’m cute?” Yoseob flashed his aegyo at me, his fingers forming a peace sign next to his face.

 

I giggled at his act. “You’re not cute at all.” I joked, sticking out my tongue to which Yoseob responded with a pout and a poke to my side. I returned the gesture with a jab on his shoulder. And just like that, a poke war began. Our shrieks from the other’s attacks could be heard down the hall.

 

We were a giggling, snickering mess until I turned around to escape from Yoseob’s assault, only to see a strict-looking lady staring at us with her arms crossed.

 

Sensing the atmosphere, Yoseob spun around too. He immediately straightened up when he saw the woman.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?” She asks, her voice, demanding.

 

 


 

After walking for what seemed like an hour, we found the classroom thanks to the teacher’s clear direction. She wasn’t as mean as she looked. The only thing wrong was that there was no one there. I looked at Yoseob and he seemed to panic.

 

"Where is everyone?" He asked me in a crazy tone.

 

"I'm not quite sure.” I replied. “They probably went outside for PE, but you should check with the class president, Minhyun. You have his number right?" I looked at him hopefully.

 

He shook his head. "No. My phone died."  He made a frowny face and took out his phone, trying to bring it back to life. How could he be so full of aegyo? I stared at him for a bit and he looked up at me. His eyes opened wide. "M-Maybe we should go." Yoseob turned and walked down the hallway.

 

I laughed. "I wasn't going to bite, you know."

 

He stopped, and his ears turned red. Then, Yoseob turned back to me. "I'm sorry... It's just... I’ve never really been able to get along with girls...and...I don't know..." He mumbled.

 

I sighed and just grabbed him by his arm and dragged him to the office where all the teachers hung out during their breaks. It was easy to find since it was on the first floor.

 

"Seonsaengnim, we’re new and we couldn't seem to find our way to class. Can you help us?" I asked the first teacher we saw. He wore a plaid button-up shirt, slacks, and big round glasses. His eyes were small and hidden behind his glasses and straight bangs which  stretched across his forehead. Everything about him seemed to scream smart person, so why not ask him?

"Uhhh... Who is your teacher?" He asked us. The man yawned. I take that back. He seems more like a lazy teacher.

 

"Teacher Jung." We both chided. I looked at him and bit my lip back, trying to stop myself from giggling. He did the same.

 

"Ahh... Um... Did you check room 3A?" He asked. He looked at us as if we were pests. How rude, I thought.

 

"Yes. But no one was there. Is there some way to contact them?" It was Yoseob's turn to speak. He totally changed to the confident guy once again. His shy side completely disappeared.

 

"Uhhh... I don't know. I'm not in charge of your grade. I'm sorry. Go ask another teacher." He shooed us away with his grade book and went  back to work on his computer. I looked at him and shook my head. Why did they even hire him? I asked myself.

 

We walked towards a woman this time. She was filing her nails like she had nothing to do. But we needed to get to class. We had to try, right?

 

“Excuse me seonsaengnim.” We bowed in unison. “Can you help us find our way to class? We’re new transfer students so we don’t really know our way around.” I pleaded with hopeful eyes.

 

She turned her head towards us and smiled. Her face seemed jam-packed with makeup; her eyes were covered in eyeshadow and a thick line of eyeliner. Her cheeks were flushed with a rose colored blush, and her lips were a soft light peach that made her it look pale. But the woman’s eyes were kind and bright, her nose was tall accentuating her high cheekbones, and her dark brown hair fell down her shoulders like a waterfall. She seemed like one of those girls obsessed with her face and looking beautiful. “Sure! Who do you have?” She said with a perky, bubbly voice. Gee, these people are really different than what they seem.