Still Here

The Guy in Her Shoes

 

 
 
Taemin's POV:
 
"Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god." I kept whispering to myself as I slid and made my way down to the burning little car. Even though it rained hard, the trees that caught the car were covering it and didn't let the fire die out. I tried desperately to believe it was someone else's car. I ran and ran until I was close enough to see the car clearly. I stood on the ledge above the car near some trees and held on before jumping. It was now raining more than ever. The wind and cold rain made it hard to see, but there was no doubt about it. It was our car.
I widened my eyes as I saw a small body sticking out from the drivers window.
"Ha Rin," I whispered.
I jumped from the ledge onto the ground causing me to tumble over the slippery rocks. I didn't let it slow me down as I ran over to my sister's body.
 
"HA RIN!!!" I screamed. I felt tears making their way down my cheek as I sobbed at what might have happened to her.
 
I slid over and knelt before my sister. Her hair was matte with blood and she had a bruise and wound on her cheek that kept bleeding.
 
"Ha Rin!!! Wake up!!!" I shook her trying desperately to wake her up from her deadly sleep.
No response.
Was she dead?
I held my index and middle finger to her small wrist to check for a pulse. It was soft and light, yet it showed that her heart was still beating. I pulled her out as quickly yet gently as I could and carried her on my back. I grabbed her bags and left as quickly as I could, before the whole car was indulged in the growing fire. I got up to the ledge where the highway was and started to flag for any cars coming by. Lightning started to crash nearby and the sky started to turn a dark purplish orange. The rain finally got to me and I started to sneeze. A taxi finally came nearby and stopped. I got the bags and shifted my sister over my shoulders again as I opened the door. I carefully laid her down and took my jacket off to put it over her. I got in the front seat and finally noticed that I was soaking wet. The driver looked at me and I could tell he was full of questions, but he kept them in and asked,
"Where to, kid?"
 
"Nearest hospital. Please. Hurry." I said fighting back the cold air that suddenly hit me.
 
The driver took off faster than I think he should have taken off and we made it to the hospital in no time. I thanked him and gave him a few wons. I quickly got off the car and opened the passengers seat carrying my sister out. I ran towards the emergency entrance and started screaming for help.
 
"Please! Someone! Quick! My sister! I have no idea whats wrong with her but help!" I shouted.
 
Systematically, an array of nurses and doctors came running over with a wheeled bed and took her from me, laying her down on it, while they put a mask of oxygen over her face.
 
"Do you know what happened sir?" said one nurse pushing me to the side.
 
"No! She got in a car accident, but she won't respond!" I said as I watcher her being taken away.
 
"Ok we will take care of it, but please calm down and sit in the waiting room." she said putting her hands on my shoulders.
 
"WHAT THE HELL DOES IT LOOK LIKE I AM, HUH?!?! YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO WAIT WHILE MY SISTER MIGHT AS WELL BE DEAD?!" I screamed. I pushed her out of the way and started making my way to the doors in which they took her body in. I was a few inches away from them before I felt two pair of strong arms pulling me away and carrying me to a room.
 
"LET GO OF ME DAMMIT!" I said while the big police officers put me down on a chair.
 
"Sir we are going to ask you to calm down or leave if you cannot cooperate with us." said the same nurse. "We will let you know what happened with your sister, but please understand that she is going through some tests right now so we can figure out what's wrong, arraso?" she said calmly.
 
"N-ne." I said shakily. "I-I'm sorry."
 
"No, it's alright. If that were my sister I would have reacted the same. Just hold on for a bit and we'll let you know as soon as possible, okay?" she said giving a hopeful smile.
 
"Ne...Thank you." I said bowing my head.
 
"It's no problem. Oh, also fill out this form and turn it in as soon as you're done." she said giving me a clipboard with a pen and left.
 
I looked at the form and did what the nurse told me to do. I got up to give it back and went to her desk to hand it over. She gave me a reassuring smile as she took it and left behind a door at the back of her desk. When I got back to the waiting room, I saw the taxi driver and the bags that I had forgotten in the car.
 
"I hope your sister will be fine," he said handing me the bags and left.
 
I looked over as the small man left and sat there looking at the bags. I stood up and started pacing as to what could have happened. About 2 hours passed and I sat down again looking at the bags. I looked inside each one and found a bag of balloons, a smushed chocolate cake, a gallon of milk, and a pack of banana milk.
 
"It's all my fault," I said whispering to myself.
 
"Mr. Lee?" I heard a voice say.
 
I looked up and saw a doctor around his 50s. He had the clipboard I had given the nurse and I immediately stood up.
 
"How's my sister, doctor?" I asked frantically.
 
"Well.. I'm very sorry Mr.Lee." He sighed and rubbed his temple. "Your sister... I'm afraid she's in an artificial coma."
 
I let the last words sink in and felt myself shrink. A coma? I sat down and tried to comprehend.
 
"A coma?"
 
"Yes, it seems that she had tried to stop the car, and in the process had whiplashed her head and neck and hit herself with the rim of the steering wheel. Luckly she didn't die from the severe whiplash, but instead got a concussion and is now in a coma. We're keeping her alive."
 
I tried to make sense of this and asked, "Will she be okay?"
 
"Well, it's hard to say. Her injuries were severe and we are not sure when she will wake up. We will keep her alive and there is a possibility she will make it through, but it's hard to tell when."
 
"So there's a 50/50 chance of her making it?"
 
"More or less. You can go visit her right now if you wish." He put his hand on my shoulder. "I'm terribly sorry."
He walked over to the nurse and nodded his head over to me. She came by and told me to follow her silently. I slowly went over to the table, grabbed the bags, and followed her down the hallway.
 
-~*~-
 
We made it to a small door and opened it. There was a curtain covering half of the room.The nurse stepped aside and let me pass through. I nodded my head and she left, leaving me and my sister in the small room. I turned around and saw my sister, my everything, in a bed with tubes and needles sticking all around her. She had a cast supporting her neck and a large bruise on her cheek and forehead which I figured was where she had hit herself. I made my way to her side and cried. Cried on why this had to happen. Cried on how this was all my fault. Cried for everything. I started to slowly take a few breaths before looking at my sister. She was so peaceful. I pushed a few strands of her behind her ear before I stood up and kissed her head. I remembered telling Ha Rin how much I loved her earlier today. Who knew that would be the last conversation we would have for some time?
 
"Ha Rin..." I whispered softly, "now it's my turn to take care of you. I'll make sure your up on your feet again."
 
I suddenly remembered something. Miyeong. She doesn't know.
 
I looked through Ha Rin's bag and found her cellphone. Lucky for me I had the pattern memorized. I sat down on a chair next to Ha Rin's bed and quickly looked through the inbox of missed phone calls and messages and easily spotted Miyeong's name. She had left Ha Rin many messages as to when she was coming. One of them read:
"Sunbae-nim! JongUp oppa got us a hotel to stay at for the night. We shall be waiting for your arrival tommorow! Oppa says he misses you tons! Also from all the talk you and Jongup have had about your brother, I'm excited to meet him soon!^^ Hope you and everyone else are safe from the storm!~"
 
Should I text her and tell her? I set the keypad and stared at it for a while. What if..... they don't have to find out?
 
"What the hell are you thinking up of, Taemin?" I asked myself outloud.
 
I got up and quickly dialed my friend, Key.
 
"Yeoboseyo?" I asked quietly.
 
"Ne....Taemin-ah? Is that you?" I heard him say half asleep.
 
"Yea... It's me. Listen, I'm really sorry for calling this late, but I need to ask for a favor. Do you think you could maybe come by right now?" I asked doubtingly.
 
"No it's no problem and yeah of course Minnie." he said. I could hear a belt shuffle around. "Your house?"
 
"No, actually that's what I wanted to talk about. Could you come by the little hospital near the forest where the shopping center is? My sister...she's...." I trailed off. My lip started to quiver as I looked to the right at my sister. I bit down on my lip and tried my best not to cry again.
 
"I'll be there in a few, Tae. Don't worry." I heard the line die and hung up.
 
I waited for about half an hour until I heard a nurse come in.
 
"You have a visitor." she said and I nodded for her to let him in. As soon as she left Key came rushing through and gave me a hug.
 
"Minnie are you alright?" he asked.
I started to sob and finally let everything out. We sat down on the couch in front of my sister's bed and I told him about my sisters incident and her coma.
 
"I'm so sorry Tae.." he said while rubbing soothing circles on my back.
 
"A-and then there's Myeong.." I said trailing off.
 
"She's coming back, right?"
 
"N-ne, my sister and I were going to meet her at the airport, since she just got back today."
 
"Ohhh..."
 
"And that's another reason on to why I called you, Key."
 
"Oh?" he said shifting in his seat.
 
"Well... I don't want to tell anyone about this. Not even Kai or Miyeong. No one. And since I want no one to find out about this I was kinda wondering if you could help me?" I said suggestively.
 
I could see Key furrowing his brow in confusion.
 
"I was wondering if you could maybe... sorta help me by... helping me be Ha Rin."
 
"Be Ha Rin?" he said even more confused. "You mean... you want me to help you... look like her??"
 
"N-ne.."
 
"Tae are you okay? Why would you want to cross dress to look like your sister?!" he said standing up.
 
"Well because it's my choice!" I said standing up next to him.
 
"You're crazy Taemin. You can't go impersonifying your sister! Why can't you just tell everyone that your sister is in a coma?"
 
"Because I don't want to be looked down upon again!" I shouted. "It was always 'Those poor siblings' or 'those orphans' or 'Oh did you hear about them? Yea, their parents passed away. Poor kids.' I don't want to be seen as some pitiful kid anymore!" I sat down and pulled by knees up to my face.
 
Key sat down my side and put his arm around me.
"...I'm sorry for raising my voice, Minnie. If this is what you want then fine. I'll support you."
 
"Are you sure?" I asked.
 
"Ne. Besides, you didn't call the fashionista for nothing! I can help you get in a wig and a dress so well no one will know the difference! It's also a lucky thing you two are twins," he said giving me a reassuring smile.
 
"So that settles it. Ha Rin will still be alive." I said smiling over at my sister.
 
 
-~*~-
 
 
 
 
Well... BAM! Im back!~ Hope you enjoyed! I defeated writers block so please be grateful! XD
oh god this is horrible .-.