Chapter I

Born to Kill (revamping)

                I dragged my feet, the rain drenching my hair as I did my best to press close to the side of the walls. There were times that I loved the rain, lavishing the feeling of cold droplets running down my face and slicking down my back. But now this was simply too much as the rain had proceeded to pour down in buckets. I grimaced as the uncomfortable feeling of the shirt sticking to flesh was simply disgusting. Not to mention my shoes were already dirty enough; they didn’t need to be wet as well.

                I silently mused at my terrible luck, as I finally reached my building. Searching my pockets I smiled bitterly in relief when I found my keys. Heading up to my flat, I was just about to twist the key when a crash from inside made me jump.

                A cold sweat formed instantly on my brow as I stared at my door warily.

                There can’t be…burglars at this time of night…or can there be?

                I stood in front of the door, still wondering whether to move or not. A few minutes of silence, and I decided maybe it had only been my hallucination. My house was filled with absolutely nothing anyway; there’d be nothing to steal.

                Opening the door, I walked in, hanging my rucksack on a chair. I kicked off my wet shoes nearby as I fumbled for the lights.

                The feeling of cold steel against my neck made me freeze.

                I stared in pure horror, my eyes slowly adjusting to the gloom as I spotted a person in front of me. I gaped at the lance held levelly under my chin, glinting with a malevolent light. His gaze was blank as he finally spoke.

                “Who…”

                Fear over took me as I was backed up against a wall. I choked, coughing as I was taken hold by a panic attack, collapsing to the ground. I couldn’t even breathe properly, my chest heaving as I desperately tried to pull my thoughts together and calm myself down. When my vision finally cleared, I found myself staring into glowing turquoise eyes. Of course, I had to control myself before I fell into another panic attack again.

                “Who…”

                He whispered again, kneeling on one knee. This time, his lance was placed on the ground. He offered a ghostly white hand to me as he helped me straighten up.

                “I-I’m M-Minho…Wait, what are you doing in my house? A-and…why are you going to k-kill me?” I mumbled. Not exactly the smoothest way to say it, but I couldn’t exactly be my calmest when I was about to get shish-kebabed.

                The boy gave me a long look, before he offered me a key. It was connected to a chain around his neck.

                Holding out my own key, I realized it was identical. Both keys were for my door. I stared at it with disbelief, before staring back at the boy.

                “So…are you going to steal something?”

                He shook his head, before tapping the key. Almost at once, the head of the key expanded to form an orb of light, making me gape in shock. I stared in complete alarm as there was a message displayed.

                Mission: Return to the past and stop the battle.

                I gaped at it for a few seconds, before bursting out in bitter laughter.

                “W-wait, you’re telling me, you’re from the future? And this…this is some special device to tell you that you need to come here and do some mission and save some people? This has got to be some hidden camera trick…”

                Before I could even finish my sentence, he lifted his lance into his hand and flipped it. Within seconds it turned into a massive cannon, my eyes bulging at the scene. I gulped as it was pointed in my direction. Again.

                “U-uh, could you please…point it…that way…” I mumbled, pointing in another direction. He blinked for a moment, before lowering the cannon as I let out a shaky sigh of relief.

                “T-thank you. Now can you tell me what your name is?”

                I finally found the light switch so we were no longer in the darkness. Now that I could see him clearly, I was slightly shocked to see a young boy. His hair was silvery white, his eyes cold turquoise as he fixed them upon me. His skin was very pale, as if he were a spirit rather than human; he somehow reminded me of Jack Frost or some snow sprite. He was also way too slim, and I was slightly concerned if he could be anorexic or something.

                Holding out his arm, I gaped as I spotted words burnt upon his skin like a mark. He allowed his fingers to run across it, and it glowed blue momentarily.

                TAE0718.

                I gaped, slowly murmuring, “So…that’s your name? TAE0718?”

                He nodded, before whispering softly.

                “I was created by my father. To kill, to destroy and to protect.”

                There was a long period of silence, before I felt a slight hint of fear travel through me. But it soon ebbed away to nothing but fascination as I got slightly closer to the boy. I could almost imagine him in a world of nothing but black and white, with his pale features and dark clothing that seemed to blend in perfectly.

                “Are you going to kill me?”

                He blinked at me, scanning me from top to bottom before shaking his head. I smiled, before holding out a hand, “Well then, nice to meet you.”

                I watched with great curiosity as he finally took my hand in his; it was not cold or steel as I would’ve expected from robots and stuff, but it was warm and soft. He also has life within him.

                “So…does everyone call you that name? TAE0718, was it?”

                At his nod, I frowned, “That’s not a very good name, especially for a person like you.”

                He gave me a blank look that seemed to be asking me why I would think he was a person. I rolled my eyes, before patting his head gently. “Let’s give you a new name.”

                Sinking into thought, I began tapping the bottom of my chin, “TAE…That’s easy as the first syllable…”

                I was still thinking when he mumbled softly, “Min.”

                “Min?”

                I blinked. He nodded, as I slowly pieced together the two syllables, and smiled satisfied at the income.

                “Good idea. Taemin, that’s a good name!”

                He stared at me, before lowering his head and his lance. I flinched slightly at the sight of a bit of blood on the blade; maybe he was fighting before he got here.

                “Here, let me help.”

                I gave the boy some towels, to which he swiftly accepted and began to polish the lance silently. I decided to dig in my wardrobe for some clothes that might fit the small boy, smiling when I found the perfect size.

                “Hey, Taemin, go shower when you’re done with your weapon, ‘kay? It’s no good walking around in bloody clothes.” I tried not to imagine what might be the reason for the red stains on his clothing. He nodded, accepting the clothes I into his arms before heading in the direction I pointed him to.

                I watched as he disappeared into the shower, before staring at the lance he left on the ground. Carefully, I hefted the blade, not wanting to step on it by accident. I huffed in slight surprise at how heavy it was; nothing like I had imagined. I shuddered at the thought of how Taemin’s strength must be to be able to wield such a heavy weapon.

                With a wary look on the blade, I placed it carefully on the table before heading towards the kitchen, swiftly cooking dinner with the groceries I had, ever so unfortunately, dropped on the ground out of shock when I saw Taemin pointing a canon at me.

                I sighed, grieving for the crushed eggs. I swept up the mess of yellow and white stuff from my plastic, before picking out some sticky packaging of other ingredients. I was relieved to see not everything had been as terrible a situation as the eggs. I automatically began to make hotdogs with the bread I had made and the sausages I got. Just as I was frying the wieners Taemin came back out, making me momentarily lose focus. His shimmering hair was decorated with water droplets, flopped on his head in limp strands as he rubbed it with his towel.

                I chuckled inwardly at the sight of him in the shirt I gave him. The pants were fine, but the shirt was simply way too big, and I could hardly see the shape of his body in that loose shirt that dangled loosely over his skinny shoulders. He looked like a 5 year old that had accidentally stumbled into an adult’s closet and came out tripping over a shirt.

                In other words: adorable.

                “Hungry?” I smiled at him. He plopped down on by the kitchen counter, propping his head atop his slender hands, cocking his head to one side. At the sight of the plate I slid in front of him, he then seemed to slowly understand and pick up his fork, swiftly finishing the food within seconds.

                “Whoa, Taemin, slow down. Don’t you have to chew?”

                That was when he suddenly stopped his hand, but by then his plate was practically clean. I could only laugh as he pushed the plate back to me.

                “Here, I made some extra.”

                I then began to wonder with awe how such a skinny boy could have such a massive appetite. Then again, he was a killing machine. He could probably finish all the food in a factory and come out looking exactly the same, and still fine with eating more. I shuddered slightly at the thought as I picked at my own macaroni.

                “So…can you tell me why you have a key to my house?”

                He gave the plate a final , before putting down the fork and staring at me. He seemed to be in thought, his eyes blank before he shrugged. I almost face-palmed. What kind of people told you to finish a mission and send you some odd place? Ding ding, Taemin’s boss or something, apparently.

                “Do you have any idea how to stop the war you were asked to stop? Like, who started it, or how it started?”

                Another shake of the head, and I swear I almost wanted to hit my head on a wall. How hopeless can this situation get?

                “Look, I don’t mind looking after you or letting you stay around since you don’t exactly make a mess of the place, but it’s going to be rather hard for me to help you if you don’t have any leads to follow.”

                The boy stared at me blankly, as if in agreement, before taking out the key. I stared at how intricate it was compared to my rusty brass key, a much better design. Heck, if my house key was like that I would never lose it; it had a small blue orb, with beautiful patterns engraved in silver as it spiraled down to become the lovely key. And it was brand new.

                Curious, I reached forward and let my fingertips brush the surface of the orb. At once, the orb glowed, shining rays of light around us, as if turning the dim room into a starry sky. Even Taemin seemed slightly fascinated, staring at the key with great interest.

                I blinked as the lights seemed to float like millions of fireflies, and I couldn’t help but smile. It reminded me of a distant time when I had once went far away…

                I shook my head, an impending migraine coming up. I wasn’t sure…had something like that happened before…

                “Min…ho?”

                Feeling Taemin’s fingers prodding my shoulder, I raised my head to smile at him. He seemed curious, but didn’t say a word as he handed me the key. At my touch the lights disappeared again, leaving the room dark once more much to my disappointment.

                “Alright, now as much as I love being productive, it’s getting pretty late.” I mumbled, my jaws opening as a yawn took hold of me. I dumped all the dishes in the sink, deciding to wash it tomorrow out of laziness. “Let’s go to sleep, shall we?”

                At once, Taemin seemed to be alert, his turquoise eyes glowing in the dim light. I took a slight step back at his intimidating stance, “Whoa, calm down. We’re just going to sleep.”

                Seeing he didn’t relax, I was beginning to feel confused, until I slowly thought carefully of his situation.

                To stop a war…his times must be filled with bloodshed. Maybe…maybe he couldn’t even sleep in the future because he had to always be on his guard for assassins or the enemy…Perhaps, sleep to him is but a luxury…

                “Don’t worry, Taemin. There aren’t any dangers in these times. Relax and just come with me.”

                At the sound of my voice, he seemed to slowly relax, the tension rolling off his shoulders and his eyes reverting to its normal look. I breathed inwardly a sigh of relief; honestly, the uncanny resemblance of his eyes to a fierce feline made me slightly unnerved and unsure.

                Following me towards my room, I began to babble, “I hope you don’t mind sharing a bed with me, it’s pretty big so you don’t have to worry. I’d hate to make you sleep on the sofa, and the floors aren’t that comfortable…”

                He simply blinked in reply.

                With a happy laugh I flung open the bedroom door and leapt onto the bed, hugging the pillow to my chest, awfully childish, but a fun act. Taemin walked at the edge of my bed, before cautiously sitting down. He slowly began to prod the mattress, as if he had discovered something he had never known before his whole life. Like the way an infant would react to a new stuffed toy, perhaps.

                “Relax and just sleep, it’s big enough for the both of us.”

                I flung the duvet away, and patted the spot next to me. Slowly, he crawled over, as I a huge stuffed toy into his face. He blinked in slight surprise, holding it in his hands and studying it for a moment, before looking back at me.

                “This? Oh, this is Blueberry Cheesecake, my stuffed llama. A friend gave it to me for my birthday.”

                I winced inwardly at the name. I knew I had terrible naming sense as a child, but hey, my cake was cheesecake, so I just named it after what I got. Logical, I believed, to name your toy after food.

                But Taemin didn’t seem to mind, nor did I think he’d tell me what his thoughts were aloud as he lay down, still staring at those berry black eyes of the toy.

                “Good night, Taemin.”

                With a yawn, I grabbed another llama; yeah, my friend just loves giving me these; and hugged it to my chest, smiling as I ruffled the fluffy fur of the white plush. Reaching out with another arm I switched off the lights, pulling the duvets up.

                I could feel Taemin’s back pressed against mine as we slept facing different sides. But it was no sooner did I hear Taemin’s breathing soften as he fell into a deep slumber. A small smile graced my lips, before I decided to fall to the embrace of sleep.

                Maybe having a killing machine around wouldn’t be so bad.