Prologue

Born to Kill (revamping)

                A single arm held aloft. Pieces of debris swirled from the ground; no, not debris but shining shards of black metal. Within seconds a cannon materialized upon the alabaster appendage, glimmering sinisterly as it reflected the blood splattered on the ground.

                Enemies swarmed in from every side, but there was no fear in the child’s eyes as he closed them.

                The cannon pointed towards the sky, balls of light streaming from it and easily killing everything within perimeter. It had only been a few seconds for him the defeat them. He opened his eyes again, staring down at the limp bodies that were littered at his feet.

                There was the soft sound of clapping that made the child look up. He blinked as a hand gently pet his head in praise. As if to mark the battle temporarily over, the cannon reformed as a jet-black lance made of deadly sharp metal. With a swift flick of his hand the child had it tucked safely by his arm, as he followed his father.

                He studied his father’s hunched figure, the man’s footsteps cautious and jumpy as he avoided the bodies. His father’s eyes were fogged and misty, filled with dark colors. It was very odd to him indeed as they walked on.

                After all, this child was but an emotionless being. Something that existed simply to kill, to reduce armies to nothing but mountains of rubble. He was but a perfect weapon, and nothing more. He simply couldn’t comprehend, nor understand human emotion.

                That alone was his greatest strength. Or maybe…his greatest flaw?

                The slightest of sounds made the child jump. Whirling around, the child drove his lance into the silhouette that rose from among the pile of bodies. There was a sound of terrible gurgling, as blood spurted into the air. His father grimaced at the strong metallic scent of the crimson liquid. With a strong yank, the child retracted his lance.

                Soft footsteps told the child of another presence. Another one that looked like him, but with eyes filled with life scampered up. There was concern and even worry for the child expressed in those brilliant orbs, but the child remained apathetic as he was being fussed over.

                After seeing him safe, the other fumbled in his bag, taking out a beautiful chain. It was a lovely shade of silvery gray with the pendant of a key. Gently, the other fastened it around the child’s neck, fingers trembling as he took a step back.

                The child blinked in questioning. Before anyone could move a ball of light encased him, then shrinking, smaller and smaller until it had completely disappeared.

                His father stared at the spot where the child had disappeared. The other boy placed a upon the elder’s shoulder, eyes filled with sorrow. But there was also determination, and even the smallest spark of hope restored to those darkening eyes.

                Exchanging glances, the two could only pray. The small spark of faith was shared between the two as they looked up to the sky, sending their wishes along with their child that all would go well.

                All would go well, or all could perish forever.