Happy Birthday

How Was School Todae?

 

It was Saturday, Daesung's birthday!

 

Daesung woke up excited but then remembered how he had been looking forward to having a boyfriend on his birthday, getting special treatment, maybe even a romantic gesture of some sorts. He had pictured several scenarios, recalling them brought a faint smile to his lips. In his favorite one, the doorbell rang but there was no one at the door. When he was about to close it, he noticed a note laying on the welcome mat. He bent down and grabbed it, 'Happy birthday' it said. Daesung turned it over, but it was blank. No signature, no nothing, only 'Happy birthday.'.

As he turned around to go back inside, someone grabbed his arm, twirling him around so that he fell straight into his arms. Daesung gasped. He was looking up at Seunghyun's beautiful especially well groomed face. Daesung could tell he had spent extra time getting ready, trying to look his best for him. It gave his stomach the tickles. Seunghyun's head gradually drew closer. Seunghyun was looking deep into his eyes, his eyes were radiating. Daesung could tell he was turning Seunghyun on and he loved it. When he was with Seunghyun he felt like he was special, like he was beautiful and interesting. He had never really felt like that before, the feeling of being wanted, being desired. Seunghyun's lips locked with his in a warm heartfelt kiss. As Seunghyun's tongue sneaked into his mouth, he could taste mint. Daesung giggled to himself, Seunghyun had popped a mint right before coming here. Kissing him must've been part of the plan. Daesung's heart beat faster at the thought that Seunghyun actually thought about kissing him, enough to come prepared. But what really rocked Daesung's boat was that he was kissing him in front of his door, for all to see, not caring about people's reactions.

As the kiss came to an end, Seunghyun slid his hand softly into Daesung's. It was warm and smooth. How was his hand so warm, yet not sticky or clammy? Even Seunghyun's sweat glands were cool. How could anyone be so perfect, so statuesque, so godlike? Daesung had stars in his eyes. The kiss' afterglow might be making Daesung flail extra hard, but it was a fact that Daesung had the hottest boyfriend at school or possibly in the whole country, or perhaps the whole world! Daesung couldn't imagine there were many people who would argue him on that. Daesung wasn't the lucky type, his life so far had seen many misfortunes, large and small. But Daesung finally understood why. He had been saving all his luck for the moment he met Seunghyun, and it was totally worth it, Daesung thought fondly.

Daesung put his shoes on in a rush, grabbing a light jacket as he headed out, excited to see what Seunghyun had in store for him. Oh no! Daesung hadn't noticed it was raining, he was in no way dressed for that and he had forgotten to bring his umbrella. Seunghyun elegantly whipped his umbrella out, pulling Daesung close to him under the pretense of sheltering him from the rain with his stylish umbrella. Daesung's face went red. Seunghyun was such a gentleman. He could feel Seunghyun's hand squeeze his arm lightly, releasing yet another bash of butterflies in Daesung's stomach.

 

Instead of going to a crowded loud restaurant where they would be surrounded by people, Seunghyun had leased a hotel room for them. It was no ordinary hotel room, Daesung had never been in a place quite like it. It felt more like the queen's house than a hotel. Everything was so fancy and expensive looking. Daesung barely dared to move, there was no question that he wouldn't be able to afford it if he broke anything, it would take him years to pay it back. There were several rooms in the suite, it was bigger and classier than his own house. Daesung stuck his head into the bathroom, walking into a wall of shininess, everything sparkled. Wow. It was really a room fit for Seunghyun, so this was his natural habitat. Daesung suddenly felt like a hobo, like he was the tramp in Lady and the Tramp, or better yet, Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. Well, without the e part, luck would have it.

There was a loud popping sound, it echoed around the suite. Seunghyun had propped open a bottle of champagne. But they were underage! Daesung had never tried drinking alcohol, he wasn't very confident about being able to hide that embarrassing fact from Seunghyun. He didn't want him to think he was some ignorant inexperienced kid. Seunghyun stood beside a glamorously set dining table, he was pouring the champagne into the glasses that stood on either end. There wasn't any food around, but it kind of looked like they were going to dine here. Just as well, Daesung was absolutely famished. He didn't know how much longer he could keep his stomach from gurgling. He hoped the food wouldn't be too fancy. Daesung could eat almost anything that was put in front of him, but he wasn't confident in knowing how to use all those tiny extra forks and knives and he was kind of a sloppy eater, he basically just inhaled his food without thinking much about appearances.

 

To the right were closed doors. That must be the bedroom, Daesung thought. He felt like he had been kicked in the stomach, was that the plan? First feed him, then seduce him? Daesung's palms started getting sweaty. Oh stupid sweat glands, why couldn't they be more like Seunghyun's instead of constantly embarrassing him. He had actually been hoping for this. He was ready, his body had been aching for this night for quite some time now, and his birthday made it even more special. He was glad his first time would be with Seunghyun. He was a bit worried he would disappoint Seunghyun in bed, not being able to compare to whatever studs came before him. It bothered him a tiny bit that Seunghyun had a past, or well, he assumed he had a colorful past. There was no way a handsome hottie like him hadn't been around the block once or twice, or.. how many times could it have been? Daesung preferred not to think about it. It didn't matter anyway, because now Seunghyun was his and nobody else's. Or he hoped there was no one else, they hadn't really talked about not dating other people, but wasn't it implied when you officially became boyfriend and boyfriend?

Seunghyun handed him one of the champagne glasses and they clinked them together, celebrating being together on Daesung's birthday. Daesung hesitantly took a sip. It tasted awful, like sparkling pee almost. To be honest, Daesung preferred sparkling water over this awfulness. How had this, of all things, become a celebratory drink?! Daesung felt instantly giddy. In a fit of courage he put the glass down on the table, walked half way towards the closed bedroom door, turned around and undid his belt in one fell swoop. He smirked as he threw the belt seductively on the floor. “I'll be in there.. waiting for my birthday present.” Daesung pointed at the door before turning around again and storming towards the door, dramatically throwing it open. As he entered the bedroom the door closed on its own accord, leaving him completely alone and intimidated. He instantly regretted his bold actions. And why wasn't Seunghyun following his lead? No door had ever been so closed, so utterly and completely closed. Open, damn it!

Daesung sat down on the bed, self consciously trying out a few positions, trying to figure out which one would look the hottest when Seunghyun came in and saw him. If. What was taking him so long? Daesung was pretty sure Seunghyun had been willing to go further on numerous occasions, why was he hesitating now? Daesung had tried lying on the bed, on his side, using his hand to support his head, smiling quirkily. No that was just plain weird. He'd also tried sitting at the end of the bed with legs crossed, leaning back with his hands on the bed. Too gay, definitely too gay. How did people do it so coolly on TV? No matter what he tried, he just looked awkward and uncomfortable. He settled on sitting at the head of the bed, leaning on the headboard with arms crossed. Where was Seunghyun?

 

Finally, Seunghyun opened the door coolly, stopping in the middle of the room. He undid his belt as well, elegantly throwing it on the floor. “So.. do you want to unwrap you present yourself or should I do it for you?”. As he slowly walked towards the bed, crawling onto it like a puma hunting its favorite prey, Daesung's heart rate went through the roof.

 

*beep* *beep* *beep*

 

Daesung grudgingly opened his eyes, not appreciating the interruption. He had forgotten to turn his alarm off. The dread returned to his stomach, the familiar feeling of utter darkness. He should get downstairs, although if it were up to him, he'd daydream the whole day long. It was such a nice daydream at that! He hadn't meant to go into so much detail, but it had just been so vivid and real, happening right in front of his mind's eye, as if he was really there. It was a bit brutal to go from that amazing birthday, all the way back to cold heartless reality, where he was boyfriendless and heartbroken on his birthday. Oh well, he and his mom could at least have a cozy day together, she always took the day off to spend his birthday with him, making it one of his favorite days of the year. Speaking of, where was she? Normally she couldn't resist waking him up to start the celebrations, pampering him to his heart's content.

 

Daesung quickly got dressed and went down to the kitchen. Instead of finding his mother happily baking him a cake, he found a note.

 

'Got called into work, emergency, sorry hun.

I'll be back around 3.

Happy birthday sweetie-boo.'

 

Daesung's heart sank. Instead of his favorite day of the year, it was becoming a contender for the worst day award. His mom had clearly been half way through the process of making him a birthday breakfast, the kitchen was a mess. His mom's birthday breakfasts were the best, but he didn't fancy finishing what she had started, making the ghost of what could have been a great breakfast, so he just had some cereal. It was underwhelming. To try and take his mind off things, he started doing his homework, loneliness knocking on his heart's door. His heart pretended there was nobody home, bent on not letting it in. If it let it in, he would have to really deal with the breakup, but he wasn't ready to face it head on, it was too painful.

 

At half past 3, his mom finally came home. Daesung tried to hide how blue he was, but there was no fooling his mom. She closed his schoolbooks and dragged him to the kitchen, putting on some cheerful music. “Alrighty, ready to make some birthday cake magic?!” his mom said, overly excited. She was trying to infect Daesung with her cheerfulness, but Daesung had no faith in her tactics, his heart felt too heavy.

 

After a two hour baking madness, Daesung actually felt better. His mom really was a genius when it came to emotional manipulation. Out of the blue, she pinched his nose with her hands covered in flour, laughing heartily at Daesung's expression and his now white nose. Daesung couldn't help chuckling as well, taking a pinch of flour, using it to draw a white line on his mom's cheek. This was war. His mom just laughed harder, throwing a fist full of flour in his face. Daesung had luckily managed to close his eyes before she threw it, but now there was flour stuck in his hair and in his eyelashes and basically everywhere. When he laughed, a white cloud was propelled from his lips and face. His mom was laughing so hard tears came out and mixed with the flour on her face, making a very rudimentary dough. Tear-cake, a new creation!

When Daesung was about to retaliate, there was a loud knock on the door. Daesung's face turned into a question mark. “Are you expecting someone?” Daesung asked incredulously. Daesung couldn't even begin to guess who was at the door. Her mom's friends rarely visited the house and his friends didn't either. Maybe it was the postman, or someone mistakenly thinking he was pounding on his neighbor's door. His mom shrugged, “I'll get it!”. This was getting fishier by the minute. His mom played dumb, but there was a weird air about her, like she was smirking on the inside, covering it up with a clueless smile. His birthday present! Maybe it was the deliveryman delivering his birthday present! Daesung's heart skipped a beat, hoping his mom hadn't gone overboard since they couldn't really afford it, but yet the child in him couldn't help but hope it was something extravagant.

 

While his mom got the door, Daesung started whipping some cream by hand in the biggest bowl they had, not managing to contain his anticipation. He could hear rustling and shuffling sounds in the hallway, what could it be? He stopped whipping to be able to eavesdrop more easily. He heard footsteps, she was coming back to the kitchen! Daesung held his breath, trying to talk himself down. That no matter what she gave him, he should be really thankful and not let her for one moment see the disappointment in his eyes if that would be the case. The door slowly opened, a gigantic stuffed animal squeezing through it. It was a huge Grumpy Bear! Daesung's heart did a flick flack, his body going limp, making him drop the bowl of cream to the floor. It made a loud clinking sound as it hit the floor, splattering cream all over the kitchen.