Backlash

How Was School Todae?

 

Daesung sat in the library, staring out the window. The days had flown by. They had already been dating officially for two weeks. Two wonderful wonderful weeks. Daesung didn't seem to be able to produce any expressions other than a smile from ear to ear. He was one of those obnoxious people in love, living in a world of colors and happiness. Every day he counted the minutes until the final bell released them from their imprisonment so he could go hang out with his drop dead gorgeous boyfriend. He was slowly memorizing every inch of his face, so he wouldn't have to be separated from him every night. They had no problems finding stuff to do. They went for walks in various parts of the city, most of them as far away from Seunghyun's neighborhood as was possible. They could talk for hours. It didn't surprise Daesung one bit to find out that Seunghyun was actually pretty smart and had a unique view on life. There was really no one like him. Daesung felt honored to be able to spend time with him.

He didn't offer up much information about himself though, his personal life was still a mystery to Daesung. Once, Daesung had gathered enough courage to ask him what his parents did, but Seunghyun just said they owned a company and changed the subject. Daesung decided not to pry any further. Seunghyun could tell him when he was ready, or not. Either way Daesung decided to respect his privacy, yet the curiosity was killing him.

Even though talking was nice, the kissing was Daesung's favorite. He couldn't get enough of it, their accumulated kissing time approaching infinity, or at least a very high number. He had become much more comfortable in his own skin around Seunghyun and it was like Seunghyun sensed that he wasn't ready to go all the way yet. At least he wasn't pushing for it, instead he concentrated on transforming Daesung's world with his kisses. Well, his hand had sneaked up his shirt a few times, his touch oh so soft. Judging by his smooth hands, it was clear Seunghyun wasn't one of those 'student by day, secret construction worker by night'. Daesung's theory that he was actually filthy rich, or at least that his parents were, was yet to be disproved.

Daesung had always figured kissing had to be a big deal, since there was hardly a book or a movie that didn't include an epic kiss. However, he'd had no idea just how big a deal it really was. The feeling and the intimacy of a good kiss, there wasn't much that could beat it. Daesung couldn't think of anything he would rather do. He loved it when it was just the two of them and Seunghyun looked at him with that twinkle in his eye. After the confession, Seunghyun had kept his feelings well under wraps, but Daesung could tell he hadn't just said it to get him to kiss him. He had really meant it. Daesung got an attack of the butterflies every time he thought about that moment in the car.

A different kind of butterflies attacked him when he thought about the time Seunghyun's hand had gotten lost and found itself down the backside of his trousers. At that moment, Daesung was sure he wanted to take things to the next level, he was sure he was ready. Still, something held him back. That same day they had been to the aquarium where Seunghyun had found a pair of lobsters in one of the tanks and pointed them out to Daesung. While he had been examining those weird multi-legged creatures, Seunghyun had slid his hand into Daesung's, kissing the back of his neck. Daesung had gotten goose bumps all over. Although the aquarium had been relatively empty, Daesung was thrilled that Seunghyun had actually risked kissing him in public. It was a giant leap forward.

The only problem was that with all the time he was spending with Seunghyun, he hardly had time for homework. Or, to be precise, the biggest problem was that when he actually sat down to study, he spent the whole time daydreaming about the last time they had met or the next time they would meet, or wondering what Seunghyun was doing right at that moment.

 

“Daesung-ah”, Seunghyun looked at him pleadingly as Daesung the back of Seunghyun's hand. They were up on the roof for lunch, Daesung had convinced him it wasn't a big deal, people would just think it was a couple of friends hanging out, too cool for the cafeteria. Daesung moved closer. Seunghyun shook his head slightly but still he didn't move his hand with which Daesung was playing. Even though his head was saying no, his eyes were saying yes. Daesung leaned in for a light kiss, delighted when he felt Seunghyun kiss him back. This was what life was all about. He wondered if all those people that were constantly searching for the meaning of life had never been in love. He felt bad for them and wished he could share with them the completeness he felt when he was around Seunghyun. He realized the intensity of his feelings would probably go numb somewhere along the way, settling into some kind of balance, but he was sure going to enjoy this high while it lasted. Going back to class had never been as exciting, carrying around this beautiful secret of theirs.

 

As a penalty for his forwardness, Seunghyun refused to have lunch on the roof the next day. Daesung had expected this and went to the cafeteria instead. For each step forward, they went half a step backwards. They were moving forward, that was the most important part. G-Dragon had convinced him to join them in the cafeteria last week, so whenever he was not on the roof with Seunghyun, he hung out with G-Dragon and Youngbae at their table. They were quite popular so Daesung had felt a bit awkward at first, but he had a great rapport going with G-Dragon so he soon forgot about all those eyes staring at him. He actually had a blast whenever he hung out with them, They had done two jam sessions in the past two weeks and at the last one they had asked him how he felt about forming a band, the three of them and some guy from the lower levels they knew. Daesung hadn't met him yet, but G-Dragon said he was very talented, but a bit bratty at times. Daesung hadn't given them an answer yet, but the idea sure tickled his gut.

“How come you didn't go to the introduction week at the Yang Hyunsuk College of Arts?” G-Dragon asked him with his mouth full. Daesung shrugged his shoulders, “I didn't really see the point, I'm not going to apply anyway.”. “Oh come on, you so should!” G-Dragon said outraged, “They need guys like you there! But.. I guess it's too late anyway, the application period closed like two weeks ago or something.” G-Dragon added disappointed. “What's your plan then? Going for the extra year like we did, with a music major?” G-Dragon was persistent, that was for sure. “Nahh.. I've already turned in the documents to graduate this year.” Daesung replied shyly. “And?” G-Dragon pushed. “And I don't know.. I applied to the business department of a couple of colleges, so maybe an office worker with a possibility of a managerial position later on?” Daesung answered embarrassed. “Oh, you traitor! Steady job, yuck!” G-Dragon joked, punching him in the shoulder as he gave him a wink.

In full honesty, Daesung was jealous of their passion. They lived and breathed music and both of them had the talent and dedication to actually pull off making a living as a musician. It must be nice, knowing exactly what you want. Music wasn't a dream Daesung could allow himself though, he needed something more stable. Even if it was the last thing he would do, he was going to make enough money so his mom could breath a little easier. When his dad had left them, he had made that promise to his mom in his mind, and he intended to keep it. No matter what.

 

Daesung crossed the school yard in a hurry, he was running late. Seunghyun had skipped the last class of the day and Daesung had promised to meet him at the café right after school. However Bora and her friend had stopped him after class asking for some notes and he couldn't say no, so he was already 15 minutes late. He hated being late. He saw some delinquents loitering by the school gate. One of them kicked a stone at the gate, producing a clinking sound that echoed through the school grounds. Their attitude gave Daesung the chills, he wished he didn't have to walk by them. He walked as fast as he could without running, keeping his head low, avoiding eye contact.

“Oy!”. Daesung's blood froze in his veins. Please let them be shouting at somebody else, he really didn't want any trouble. “Hey! You! Kiddo!” one of the boys blocked Daesung's passage. “You too good to even say hi?” the boy sneered. The others joined him. “Yeah! Sitting with the cool kids now, no time for the trash, is it?” the second one had a contemptuous smile. Daesung trembled, but tried not to let it show. He said nothing and tried to get past them but the third boy grabbed his collar, pulling him backwards. The last one, apparently the leader, walked up to him. He was standing too close for comfort, chewing his gum with a smirk on his face. “So it's your plan to the balls of all the popular guys at school, is it? First Seunghyun, then since you've got him in your pocket, G-Dragon and Youngbae are next on the list?” the leader hissed.

When Daesung didn't answer, he continued “Do you really think a sewer rat like yourself can be allowed to eat at the same table as them, huh?! Like some stinking United Colors of Benetton, not caring about things like status... status is what built this country and we won't just stand by watching you break all the rules, like you are above the rest of us. Your status is lower than zero, the floor is where you belong!” the leader nodded to the other boys who proceeded to kick the living daylights out of him. The first punch knocked Daesung off his feet, making it easy for the others to kick him to the ground. So much pain. Daesung struggled to keep conscious, although losing consciousness would at least mean that the pain would stop. He was nauseous, his lip was busted and there was blood everywhere. Where was the blood coming from?

Finally they left him on the ground, gasping for air, watching the blood pool on the concrete beneath him. Apparently they had seen him and Seunghyun having a blast at the arcade the other day. It had been the best of days. They had played games until the arcade closed, laughing and joking around, teasing each other. Had they been too obvious? Daesung couldn't remember having done anything remotely inappropriate, nothing that could have been interpreted as something more than just two friends horsing around.

 

“Daesung-ah! Daesung!!!”. Ah, it hurt. Someone was shaking him. He felt like puking. He rolled over and did exactly that. “Daesung-aaaah!” the voice was clearer now, it was cracked and anxious. He opened his eyes. His vision was a bit blurry but he recognized Seunghyun's smell. He sounded like he was crying. “Who did this to you? Tell me WHO?” Seunghyun was almost yelling. Daesung sat up with difficulty, his vision returning. Seunghyun's face was wet with tears, it had a tortured expression. “If I tell you, you'll only get in trouble.” Daesung managed to utter. “I don't care, those devils deserve a beating of their own!” Seunghyun was raging mad. “More violence won't solve anything.” Daesung answered calmly, discovering the source of all the blood. He had a nosebleed. “It was because of us.. wasn't it?” Seunghyun asked warily. Daesung didn't know what to say. It wasn't for sure that they knew they were dating, they could've just taken issue in him hanging out with Seunghyun as a friend. They had mentioned G-Dragon and Youngbae as well, so it was probably just that. “It was, wasn't it?!” Seunghyun asked more persistently. “That's it! We've got to be more careful!!” Seunghyun exclaimed. “How? We've done nothing but be careful.” Daesung complained.

“Can you walk?” Seunghyun asked after a while. “Mmm... yeah, I think so...” Daesung stood up with difficulty, everything hurt. “Let's go to the hospital.” Seunghyun said determined. “No, I'm fine. Just take me home.” Daesung protested. A hospital bill was the last thing he needed. “I'm fine, really!” Daesung tried to look his best. Seunghyun wasn't convinced, “Don't worry about the money, I'll pay for it.”. Daesung was about to say no, when Seunghyun pleaded with him “Please. For me.”. Daesung caved, exhausted and in pain.

 

It turned out to be nothing serious. No broken bones and no concussion, just minor bruises and a busted lip. “See, told you.” Daesung said smiling. “Ouch.”, his lip did not like the smiling part. Seunghyun still looked tormented. He took him home and got permission from Daesung's mom to stay by his side overnight, to watch over him in case something had gone undetected. It wasn't hard to convince his mom, she was every bit as upset as Seunghyun.

 

When his mom left the room, Daesung looked teasingly at Seunghyun “Ooo, our first niiight togetheeer.”. “Oh shut up you! How can you be so cheerful after being half-beaten to death? You can't even begin to comprehend how worried you had me!” Seunghyun kissed the back of his hand.