Problem Solved

How Was School Todae?

 

Daesung quickly glanced around, hoping against hope Bora wasn't there to see him, that this was a coincidence and that Seunghyun would walk through the door at any moment. His prayers were not answered. Bora started walking towards him, practically bouncing. Daesung had never seen her so happy and cheerful, she was always so shy at school. “Hi.” Bora said, beaming at Daesung. “Ehh.. hi.” Daesung put on an awkward smile, cursing Seunghyun under his breath. What exactly did Seunghyun think would happen? That if Seunghyun tricked that poor girl into thinking he liked her and set them up on a date, that he would magically start thinking this was a good plan? Or did Seunghyun think he was such a pushover, that once here, he couldn't bear breaking the girl's heart and thus be forced to follow Seunghyun's plan? Daesung was livid. He was so mad he wouldn't have been surprised if fumes started coming out his ears.

“Should we order?” Bora suggested when Daesung didn't say anything further. “Yeah, let's. Although, I really have to go to the bathroom real quick. Order for me?” Daesung gave her another pretend smile and made his escape to the toilet. Why hadn't he taken the note back, he had been too mad to realize that leaving it in Seunghyun's hands was dangerous. But it shouldn't be dangerous! He should be able to trust his boyfriend and not have to worry what information fell into his hands and how he might misuse it. Daesung couldn't help putting himself in Bora's shoes. What if the carnival invitation had just been a hoax? What if he'd showed up there only to be stood up, or worse, if Seunghyun had been there only to use him for cover, pretending to be interested in him, getting his hopes up only to break his heart into a million pieces. How could Seunghyun not see how wrong this was? Or did he just not care? Daesung was starting to doubt he knew Seunghyun at all.

Daesung entered one of the stalls in the bathroom and locked the door. He didn't really have to go to the bathroom, he just needed to gather his senses. How was he going to fix this mess? The last thing he wanted to do was string Bora along. He couldn't do it. He had selected Seunghyun's phone number, his finger hovering over the call button. Should he call him and give him an earful? Yelling at Seunghyun wouldn't change anything. He'd still be stuck here with Bora and Seunghyun would still be guilty of this heinous act. Maybe if Seunghyun was given the opportunity to explain himself.. but there was no excuse. There was nothing he could say to fix this. The knot in Daesung's stomach grew into a flaming rock inside of him. He was so sad and mad at the same time, he didn't know what to do with himself. There was no solution in sight.

 

Daesung knew what he had to do, but he didn't want to do it. He didn't want to believe it had actually come to this. That it would be him that... He wished he could just erase the past couple of days, go back in time and undo this whole mess. But that wouldn't solve anything, that would've just delayed the inevitable. Seunghyun would've shown his true colors eventually and then they would be stuck in the same situation, only even more invested in the relationship compared to now. It was for the best. They were too different. Daesung took a deep breath and started writing Seunghyun a text message.

 

'Really!? This is what you've stooped to? I don't know what you were hoping to accomplish, but you've actually managed to solve the problem. Since we are no longer together, there is no reason anymore to get beaten up. Thanks.'

 

Daesung pushed send, not really comprehending what was happening. He was in shock, but too mad to even feel its effects. It felt unreal, this whole situation felt unreal. Daesung turned off his phone, he'd made his decision and it was final. Taking Seunghyun's calls would only make things harder. Seunghyun had dug his grave and now they both had to lie in it.

 

“Here! I ordered you orange and mango juice. Orange since it's safe, who doesn't like oranges? But plain orange juice was too boring and predictable so..” Bora fiddled with the cuff of her sleeve. Poor thing, she was so nervous her hands were shaking. “Thanks.” Daesung tried to sound genuine. “Should we sit down?” He suggested, leading them to the most secluded table he could find. “I ehm..” Daesung struggled to find the right words. “I.. I'll be honest with you. I know you told me just to pretend like nothing had ever happened if.. but I just couldn't. I wanted to explain, saying nothing would've made it seem as if I didn't like you at all and that's so not the case.” Daesung was trying to let her down as softly as he possibly could, but he had never done this before. Bora's expression went from that cute little smile of hers to a frown of agony. She had clearly thought he'd showed up because he fancied her back. He hated Seunghyun so much right now for putting him in this position.

“I think you are really awesome, you're a smart girl and any guy would be lucky to have you. I still remember when you saved me that one time in math class.” Daesung managed to put a half-smile on her face when he mentioned he still remembered how she had helped him. “It's just, I'm not in a position where I can start up a relationship. I'm here on scholarship and this is a really crucial time now, so close to finals and all. I hope you can understand. I'd really like to be friends.” Daesung meant what he said, she really did seem like a very nice girl and he'd be honored having her as a friend. Bora was trying her best to hold it together, she nodded, “I'd like to be friends too.”.

 

On his way home Bora's brokenhearted face was all he could see. This had been so unnecessary, so easily avoided, if only.. His blood boiled every time he thought about Seunghyun. How could he?! Daesung stormed down the street without giving much notice to his surroundings. When he turned the corner, someone grabbed him. “Why didn't you answer your phone?!? I've been trying to reach you all night!!” Seunghyun asked frantically. Seunghyun had ambushed him, he should've expected this. Daesung was so mad he couldn't even see straight. “Well it just so happens I was busy picking up the pieces of the severely broken heart we created, thanks for that! I hope you're happy, cuz I certainly am not! I meant what I said. I can't date someone who's selfishness destroys other people's lives. Maybe this is for the best. We should just focus on school and forget 'we' ever existed.” Daesung sounded cold and detached.

“Dae.. I'm sorry.. please..” Seunghyun pleaded devastated, but Daesung wouldn't hear it. He shook himself loose and went inside, slamming the door and running straight up to his room. If his mom were to catch him and probe him right now, he was sure he would break down and tell her everything, but that was not an option. He felt so alone. So this was how it ended. He always knew it had been too good to be true, it had to end sooner than later. But in the scenarios he had pictured, it had never been him that pulled the trigger. He also thought he would cry so hard his organs would come out, but his eyes were dry. He felt nothing. He was completely empty inside. There was nothing left.