Final- To Love's End

My Prince's Heart



Morning came upon them. Sunlight peeking through the curtains, make Sungyeol’s skin glisten in the light. He turned to his side, not wanting to be woken up by the sun. Then there was he sound of a door sliding open and shut. Sungyeol opened his eyes to see who walked in but made no movement to get up.

“Sungyeol-sshi, you’re finally awake. Do you feel better?” Sungyeol smiled softly and slowly nodded his head. Sunggyu let out a sigh of relief. “That’s good to hear. Now, stay here while I go get you food to eat.” Sunggyu stood up, walked out of the room, and went to get food for Sungyeol to eat.

While Sungyeol waited for Sunggyu to come back, he looked around the room with his eyes. As he looks over the room, Sungyeol realizes that he is in Sunggyu’s room. It’s neat, clean, and very organized: just like Sunggyu. However, there was one thing that caught his eyes. On one of the drawers, there was a hair pin.

The hair pin was gold with vine like etchings on them. At the edge of the pin were pink petals; peach blossom petals. To Sungyeol, this is probably one of the more beautfiul pins he has ever saw. It may seem like an exaggeration but it isn’t. He has never seen a pin like this in the market or any girl wear this. He wonders as to why Sunggyu has a pin. For a girl perhaps?

No. Sungyeol shakes his head. Sunggyu wouldn’t buy this if he were going to court someone. He got up and struggled to walk to the drawer. Then he gently picked up the pin and examined it. Such a simple pin yet it was beautiful. Just like Naeun.

Sungyeol smiled sadly at the thought of Myungsoo being married to a person he was never related to in the start. The sunlight reflected off of the pin, giving it an ethereal beauty to it. Before Sunggyu came back, Sungyeol placed the pin back in its place and went back to the mattress. He sat down and wrapped the blanket around him. Sungyeol was still feeling cold despite it being warm outside today.

“Sungyeol-sshi, I guess you’re fine now that you are sitting up.” Sunggyu kneeled down as he placed the food on the table in front of Sungyeol. “There’s soup, rice, vegetables, and chicken. I didn’t want to give you much since you just woke up. I hope you enjoy.” He stood up to leave but was quickly stopped by Sungyeol.

“W-Wait...that pin. Are you courting someone?” Sunggyu clenched his fists which Sungyeol took notice.

A few seconds passed before Sunggyu answered. “No, I am not. That pin...it was given to me by a good friend of mine. Now, I will take my leave. I have errands to tend to. Please stay longer if you need to. Honestly, I would like for you stay and rest, but you may do whatever pleases you.” Sunggyu walked out of the room and headed to the main grounds of the palace. Before he left, he glanced over his shoulder and let out a sigh. “Sungyeol-sshi, please...you cannot go yet when Myungsoo needs you right now.” Then he finally left with a hope that everything will be...alright.

Sungyeol ate his food in silence. Without the company of Sunggyu, Sungyeol was alone. However, he doesn’t mind. He has always grew up with this kind of loneliness. He doesn’t mind being alone. He doesn’t mind not having anybody. He doesn’t mind.

He doesn’t mind.

He doesn’t mind.

He doesn’t mind.

Liar. You do mind.

You hate being by yourself.

You hate not having anyone.

You hate it.


Tears drip down Sungyeol’s face as he continued to eat. He held back his sobs, not wanting to look like a fool. Eventually, he couldn’t hold them anymore. His tears fell into his soup, he covered his mouth from anyone hearing his cries and food from coming out of his mouth, and dropped his spoon onto the table. If anyone were to see him, they would probably think he is crazy. Sungyeol didn’t want that. He wanted only one thing, no, person: Kim Myungsoo.

After Sungyeol’s tears dried up, he got up and straightened out his clothes. Then he made sure that he somewhat looked appealing. It’s the day after the marriage ceremony and Sungyeol doesn’t know how he will face Myungsoo after this. If he were to see him, Sungyeol knows that he wouldn’t be able to hold in his tears. However, he will do his best to hide everything.

That is how his life is. Everything was hidden from him. His whole life became a secret in the matter of minutes. Now...now he is a lost child.

Sungyeol stepped out of the room and walked out. The sun shined brightly as he covered his eyes from them. Right now, he truly didn’t want to see the sun. It reminded him of too many things. It reminded him of how bright Myungsoo’s smile is. It reminded him of how bright his days became whenever he was with Myungsoo. It reminded him of how bright Myungsoo was that it blinded him.

Once his eyes adjusted to the light, Sungyeol continued on. To him, it felt like he was on some journey to a whole new world. Though, his heart was still in pain. Thousands of needles were piercing at it every single second.

His hand found its way to his chest as he clutched his shirt. Sungyeol smiled bitterly. His other hand was placed at his head as the memories flooded inside him. All of Myungsoo’s smiles, hugs, and kisses as a child made him laugh sadly.

Myungsoo-wangja, if you were to know that I was a child that was abandoned as a child, would you still look at me the same way? Would you still give me your attention that I don’t deserve?

Would you?


Sungyeol walked aimlessly. He let his feet wander until he arrived at his home.

No. It isn’t his home. It never was. This home was a place he was left at. Where his real mother left him. This family was only kind to take him in. Nothing more, nothing less. Sungyeol reached and reached. A home that was so clear but now feels so far.

“Sungyeol! Where were you? I was so worried!”

Sungyeol’s adoptive mother ran over and took Sungyeol’s hands into his. She stared into Sungyeol’s lifeless eyes until they suddenly became teary eyed. He told himself he wasn’t going to cry. However, it seemed like nothing was going to go his way. His adoptive mother wiped away the tears and became more worried.

“What’s wrong my child? Are you in pain?”

Sungyeol shook his head. “N-No... I... May I have a hug mother?” She nodded her head and in a second Sungyeol wrapped his arms tightly around her. His adoptive mother didn’t know what was wrong with him, but she just did the same and gently patted his back.

Once again, Tears streamed down his face. He didn’t know how to stop them and he doesn’t know if they will stop this time. Being in his adoptive mother’s arms made him feel so secure. A feeling that has lasted his whole life. Something he doesn’t want to let go.

After a while, he reluctantly pulled away and wiped away the remaining tears. Then he forced a smile that didn’t reach his eyes. She took notice of it but decided to not say anything.

“I’m alright mother. I was overwhelmed with emotions seeing Myungsoo married. I only wish the best for him.” His adoptive mother smiled at him and patted his shoulders.

“Myungso-wangja is grateful to have a friend like you. Just like how the current king has your father, Myungsoo-wangja will have you.”

No he won’t. My time... I can feel in my heart that my time is ending soon.

“The two will work together to make our country a better place. People will look up to you two.”

Will they? Will they be willing to strain their necks to look up at the sky? Will Myungsoo look up at the sky for me?

Sungyeol tooks her hands into his and shook in gently. “Yes, I understand. I understand.” Then he placed her hands by her side and walked inside. He didn’t want to be near anyone right now as he quickly took a bath. Then he went to his room and changed into a pair of new clothes. Today, however, his clothes were more of a dull color.

His life has become dull. Sungyeol lifelessly straightens out his clothes and heads out once again. His adoptive mother watches him leaves and sighs. Sungyeol’s back sends her signs that she cannot help but feel anxious and agitated. However, she let’s him go.

As he walked to the palace grounds, he noticed that there were still remains of the party. He picked up a piece of colored paper and let it stay in his palm. A sudden breeze captured it and Sungyeol let it be taken away.

When he made it to the palace grounds, Sungyeol was greeted by the servants. He forced a smile at them and proceeded. Though, when he approached Myungsoo’s quarters, he didn’t expect to see people running about. He started to panic as he ran the rest of the distance over there.

“What has happened to Myungsoo-wangja?! Tell me!” A servant stopped in front of him and bowed.

“I-I’m sorry Sungyeol-sshi! Myungsoo-wangja has fallen sick and the doctor doesn’t know what is wrong with him!”

Sungyeol’s heart dropped in that instant. No, Myungsoo’s heart dropped and shattered into a million pieces. He brushed by the servants and entered his room. When he stepped inside, he didn’t expect to see his adoptive sister. Naeun turned to look at Sungyeol with tears in her eyes.

“M-Myungsoo-wangja, he is sick and nobody knows a cure for it! My h-husband...he will di--” A servant caught her before her body hit the floor. Sungyeol looked at her with pity and then turned to look at Myungsoo.

“Leave. I need to speak to Myungsoo-wangja.”

“B-But--” the servant was caught off as he met Sungyeol’s piercing eyes. All of them silently left leaving the two of them.

Once everyone was gone, Sungyeol kneeled down next to Myungsoo. Then he grabbed the rag in the basin of water and wiped the prince’s face. Myungsoo was pale as snow, dark eyes, and lips blue as the ocean. Sungyeol’s hand shook as he continued to wipe away the sweat forming on the prince’s skin.

When Myungsoo finally opened his eyes, he smiled immediately. “S-Sungyeol...you’re here. How are you, my friend?”

Yes, friend. I’m Myungsoo-wangja’s friend.

Sungyeol put on a small smile and held Myungsoo’s hand in his. “I’m doing well, Myungsoo-wangja. However, you need to rest. You need the strength to rule the country.” What he didn’t expect was for Myungsoo to shake his head.

“I-I don’t want to be king. If I can’t be myself then I would rather not be the prince or future king.” Myungsoo’s smile faded and Sungyeol wanted to see it one more time. Seeing the prince smile when he had no heart made Sungyeol feel special. It made him feel special because he was the one that caused for the prince to smile.

“You cannot do that. Please, you must rest. Do it for me.” Myungsoo and Sungyeol stared at each other until the prince reluctantly agreed.

“I understand. I will rest. However, you can’t leave my side. That is an order.”

Sungyeol smiled genuinely for once. “Yes, of course my prince.” Myungsoo eyes closed on themselves as he drifted off to slumber.

He continued to sit there and watch Myungsoo sleep peacefully. Now, Sungyeol doesn’t know what to do. After all that has happened so far, Sungyeol doesn’t know if he can take that step forward. Seeing the prince in so much pain brings him pain as well.

Sungyeol leans down and pressed their forehead against each other.

“Myungsoo-wangja, take care of yourself. As the future king, I know you will rule this country wither mercy, perseverance, and the hope of a new tomorrow.”

He pulled away, tears falling down onto the prince’s cheeks. They shined like diamonds in the sunlight as the rolled down Myungsoo’s cheeks. Sungyeol laughed bitterly as he pulled away. Then he took the rag and wiped away the tears.

“I’m sorry, Myungsoo-wangja. I must go now. I will be back soon though.” He pressed a gently kiss on the prince’s forehead and then quietly left.



-----------------------------------------------




Sunggyu had stepped out of his room and walked into the town center. After last night’s episode, he needed some fresh air. All he hoped was that he didn’t have to see Woohyun. He doesn’t know how he can face him. If he did, Sunggyu feels like his feelings will explode.

He strolled around the town looking at what the vendors had to sell. Sunggyu peered over shoulders, helped children see, and watched a puppet show. It’s been a while since he has been able to do things like these. Now that Myungsoo is married and going to become the king soon, Sunggyu feels a bit more free. He does feel guilty because of it, but he knows he wouldn’t be a great king like his younger brother would.

While he was walking around, he started to get hungry and went to get something to eat. Right when he was about to pay for it, a hand popped in front of him. Sunggyu turned to see who it was. The person who paid for his food was Woohyun.

Sunggyu immediately backed away and turned the other direction. He quickly ate his food, threw it into the street, and ran out of there. Woohyun was calling out for him but he didn’t stop. Sunggyu kept on turning onto different streets, hoping Woohyun would give up.

The moment he to a deserted street, he was suddenly pulled by the wrist. His body collided with someone else. Sunggyu closed his eyes from the impact and then opened them to see who it was. His eyes widened, realizing the person he knocked into was Woohyun.

Today, Sunggyu felt like he couldn’t avoid Woohyun no matter what.

“S-Sunggyu-goon,” Woohyun pants as he tries to catch his breath. “I-I finally found you. Do you know how hard it was for me to--”

Sunggyu pulled his wrist harshly from Woohyun’s grasp. “Leave me alone, you fool! Do you not understand? Do you want me to put you under arrest?! I hate you so just leave me alone!” He stared into Woohyun’s eyes and regretted it when he did. He saw the sadness and confusion in the younger’s eyes. Sunggyu slowly backed away, shaking his head as he did so.

He looked down at the ground and his body began shaking. Woohyun feared that Sunggyu was going to have another attack so he stepped forward but the older put a hand out.

“D-Don’t come near me again. That is an order. Please...”

Woohyun stopped where he was. Then he reluctantly turned around and left Sunggyu where he was.

Sunggyu watched Woohyun’s disappearing figure walk away. He badly wanted to Woohyun to not leave him. To stay. To hold him in his arms. However, Sunggyu forced himself to stay back. For he knows that if he holds on for too long then he bring down the younger.

Minutes and minutes passed by before Sunggyu went back to his quarters. He expected for Sungyeol to still be there resting but he wasn’t. Sunggyu was a bit relieved that Sungyeol was able to stand which means he was well at least.

Then he remembers what Sungyeol asked him. The pin sitting on the stand hasn’t been touched for ages. Sunggyu carefully picked it up; as if it were a piece of glass that will shatter when dropped.

It was a simple yet beautiful design. Sunggyu fell in love with it when he was child. He fell more in love with the person who gave it to him.



FLASHBACK

 


“Sunggyu-goon! Sunggyu-goon! Sunggyu-goon!”

Sunggyu turned around to the sound of his name. A breeze caressed his cheeks and leaves spun around the boy who called out his name. Sunggyu smiled cheekily, seeing the person who called him out.

Woohyun ran over to the older and almost tripped. Then he caught himself before he fell and continued running. This made Sunggyu giggle into his sleeve seeing his friend being funny and clumsy.

“Sunggyu-goon, don’t laugh at me!” Sunggyu immediately stopped though he kept on laughing on the inside.

“Is there something you need, Woohyun-sshi?”

Woohyun pouted, his lips sticking out which reminded Sunggyu of a duck. “Sunggyu-goon, you don’t have to be so formal with me! We are friends, are we not?” Sunggyu blushed at the word “friends” and simply smiled with a nod of his head.

“Of course. We are friends, Woohyun. Then you must call me Sunggyu.”

Woohyun’s pout turned into a cheeky smile as he scooted closer to the older. “Sunggyu... Sunggyu... Oh, that’s right! I have a present for you!” Woohyun finally remembered what he was here for as he took out the present for Sunggyu. Then he made the older close his eyes which he reluctantly he did. “You must not open your eyes until I say so!”

Sunggyu could feel tiny hands in his hair and wondered what the younger was exactly doing. After a few minutes passed by with a few grunts here and there, he was finally told to open his eyes. The older touched his head and felt something in his hair. Suddenly, Woohyun popped out a mirror for Sunggyu to look at himself.

The older’s eyes widened seeing the pin in his hair. Pink dusted his cheeks and he hid his face into his sleeves. Sunggyu took a bit of courage into his hands before he looked into the mirror again. Woohyun was proud of himself that he was able to make Sunggyu blush like this.

“T-Thank you, Woohyun. It’s beautiful, but I don’t think this fits me very well. It will be better if you gave it to my sis--”

“No! I bought this present for you Sunggyu! I bought it because it reminded me of you...” Woohyun blushed right away and looked down at his lap. Sunggyu smiled softly and patted Woohyun’s head.

“I understand. I will treasure this pin for the rest of my life. Thank you, Woohyun.”

 


FLASHBACK ENDS



Sunggyu held onto the pin tightly and then made his way over to his desk. He pulled a drawer out, took out paper and ink, and started to write. As he wrote, he held onto his head tightly. His vision was getting blurry, not only because of tears though. The pin laid next to him and he would look at it for a few minutes before he went back to writing.

After he finished writing his letter, Sunggyu rolled it, and tied it with a white ribbon. Then he grabbed the pin and went to look for someone to send his letter. When he found a servant, he told him to send the letter later tonight. The servant stared at Sunggyu for a few minutes before he nodded his head and took the letter.

Sunggyu smiled sadly and turned to the opposite direction. He made his to the forest, footsteps left in his track, and a field of flowers waiting for him.



------------------------------------------------



Sungyeol found his way to the temple, stumbling along the way. Every few minutes or so, he held onto his chest, wincing in pain. The moment he arrived there, he saw a man he didn’t recognize. When their eyes met, the stranger ran to Sungyeol before the latter fell to the ground.

“Dongwoo-sshi, come here quickly!”

Dongwoo slide the door open and was about to yell at Howon for disturbing him but stopped when he saw Sungyeol in the latter’s arms. He ran to them and helped Howon lift Sungyeol up. They brought the younger into Dongwoo’s room and laid him down. However, Sungyeol sat back up and pushed the two away.

“S-Sorry, but I can’t stay for very long,” Sungyeol coughed furiously into his hand and then looked back at them. “I have a favor to ask of you Dongwoo-sshi. Please, you must grant this for me.” He held onto his chest and closed his eyes in pain. “My heart, no, Myungsoo’s heart is in so much pain. I know you have the answer for this.” Sungyeol took Dongwoo’s hands in his with pleading eyes. “You will only help me a little while I do the rest. This is all I ask of you. As a friend, I’m asking you to help me give back Myungsoo’s heart.”

Dongwoo pulled away his hands and shook his head. Tears were threatening to fall but he held them back. Howon noticed this and wrapped an arm around the older’s shoulders.

“I-I cannot do that. If I were to help you, then...then...” He choked on his words, knowing what will happen to Sungyeol. However, this country needs a king, and he knows Sungyeol will keep on begging him. “There must be a way that we can save both of--”

Sungyeol shook his head, “Dongwoo-sshi, there is no way to save the both of us. One must live and the other must die. For that is life. Myungsoo-wangja...he saved me when we were children. For the prince to do something like that has given me the courage to do the same.” He reached over and held onto Dongwoo’s hand once again. “The reason why I came to you is because I can tell you know our situation. You also have the power to help Myungsoo and I. No matter what happens, I must go and Myungsoo must live.”

He scooted closer and pressed their foreheads against each other. “Please, do this for me, for Myungsoo, and for the future.”

Howon watched the two friends  and then looked out the window. Two birds were flying in the sky, heading straight for the sun.



-------------------------------------------------------



People were running about, the king and queen worried, and Naeun sitting in her quarters worried about the prince. Doctors were coming and leaving, not knowing what is the cause of the prince’s sudden illness. The king and queen may think that he got sick from the food, but everyone else was feeling well.

Naeun was sitting in her room, crying into her hands. When the prince had suddenly disappeared last night, she didn’t think that he would get sick all of a sudden. She wished that she could do something, but when she saw how pale the prince was, she became pale herself.

Woohyun was walking around the palace grounds but mostly stayed around Myungsoo’s quarters. He was deeply worried for the prince. However, he wasn’t only worried about him. He was also thinking of Sunggyu and hoped the older was alright. Woohyun hasn’t seen the older since last night and hope nothing bad has happened to him.

When a servant came by later in the afternoon with a letter for him, he was told to not open it until tonight. He thanked the servant and returned to watching over. Woohyun wanted to open the letter and wondered who it was from. For some reason, though, there was this sickening feeling in his heart that wouldn’t go away.



-------------------------------------------------------



Sunggyu’s hand brushed along the trees, feeling the earth from his fingertips to his toes. He let his hair down, putting the pin in his hair like how Woohyun did when they were children. Even though pins for were women, Sunggyu felt special because it was a present from Woohyun.

Birds were singing, leaves crunched under his feet, and the wind caressed his soft cheeks. Sunggyu smiled softly and continued his way where the tree and flowers were waiting for him.



---------------------------------------------------



Sungyeo, Dongwoo, and Howon walked from the temple to the palace grounds. Before they left, they talked over what they were going to do. Step by step they went over it. Dongwoo tried to figure out ways to save the both of them but Sungyeol solemnly shook his head.

They took slow steps; Sungyeol who walked with a straight face, Dongwoo with tears in his eyes, and Howon who didn’t know how to feel about everything. All he knows is that he had a vision before coming here. Howon had to make it come true or else...the future would change drastically because of it.

When they got to the palace grounds, they were greeted by everyone and even the king and queen. The three of them were given permission to see Myungwoo with the excuse Dongwoo wanted to pray for the prince.

Everyone left the prince’s room and Sungyeol was the first one to step inside. It was getting darker by the hour, and they didn’t have much time. There were preparations that needed to be made and everyone was helping them out. Tons of candles were needed and it had to be exactly midnight. It was quite a long time till then, but Sungyeol stayed by Myungsoo’s side the whole time.

Dongwoo and Howon helped the servants bring in candles and stands. They were not to light the candles until much later but it was better to be prepared. Servants questioned why they were doing this but here were no answers. Just silence.

The two would look at Sungyeol who was holding onto Myungsoo’s hand. Then they turned to each other and sighed. With heavy hearts, they returned back to the temple. Dongwoo and Howon needed to help from the temple since it would be best to do so. The two older didn’t want to leave Sungyeol by himself, but this was part of the plan.

Sungyeol smiled sadly down at Myungsoo, tears falling like rain droplets.

“M-Myungsoo, once you wake up, you will finally have your heart back,” he pressed his forehead against the prince’s. “Once you wake up, I will be gone. I will not be able to stand by your side and watch you grow to become one of the greatest kings of our home. I will not be able to see you have children of your own nor will I be able to see you smile.”

He laughs bitterly, holding back the tears to the best of his ability. “I wanted to see you smile with your heart. I wanted to hear you laugh with your heart. I wanted to see you cry with your heart. I want to see so many things, but I can’t stay after all. I wish for many things in this world, but unfortunately I cannot have them... You’re one of them I can’t have, my prince.”

Sungyeol closed his eyes, the tears shining in the moonlight. “However, I will still be in your heart. The place that I have in your heart, let me stay there forever. Let me be selfish for once, please.” He brushed his thumb along Myungsoo’s cheek and smiled genuinely. “I will be gone for the rest of your life, but I will continue to watch over you. No matter where you are, I will watch you from the heavens, praying that your life will be full of happiness.”

He reluctantly pulled away and wiped away his tears and the ones that had fallen onto the prince’s face. Sungyeol then sat there, waiting for the time for everything to come to an end.

A small but bright light appeared next to Sungyeol’s side. It watched over the two of them and then disappeared into Sungyeol’s chest.



-----------------------------------------------



Sunggyu continued to walk and walk until he got to the clearing. The sunset was shining on the flowers, almost giving them a different color to them. He made his way to the tree as the flowers brushed against his ankles. Sunggyu slowly slid down against the trunk and sat there.

Then he looked up and sat the faint outline of the moon.

“I guess today will be a full moon,” he whispered.



-----------------------------------------------



Dongwoo and Howon finally made it back to the temple and started to get things ready there. They grabbed stands and put a couple of candles on them. Then Dongwoo changed into a different garment. It was a beautiful color of white; so pure, blinding, and a sign of a new day. Howon couldn’t help but be mesmerized by the older. His body reacted on its own as he back hugged him.

“H-Howon-sshi?” Howon held on tighter and buried his face into Dongwoo’s shoulders. The next words that came surprised Dongwoo and made more tears come to his eyes.

“When this is all over, I won’t leave your side. I will help you get through the painful days, and make you smile a bit more each day until you can look up at the sky with a smile as bright as the sun.”

“...Thank you.”



-----------------------------------------------------



It was getting late at night when the servants were told to leave Myungsoo’s quarters. Woohyun was also given the directions to stand outside and not disturb Sungyeol and the prince. Woohyun didn’t know what Sungyeol was going to do and only hoped for the best.

Then he remembered the letter he got earlier. He took it out of his pocket, untied the ribbon, and read the contents of the letter.

Sentence by sentence, his heartbeat quickened. His eyes widened at the revelation of the letter. The second he was finished with it, Woohyun took off towards Sunggyu’s quarters. However, when he got there nobody was home.

He ran around the town, but there was no sight of him. Woohyun finally remembered the last place he would be at: the clearing. With all of his energy and strength, Woohyun ran and ran towards the direction of the forest.



-----------------------------------------------------



It was getting close to time as Sungyeol started to light each of the candles. After each one was lighted, he sat back down next to Myungsoo. Suddenly, the fire on the candles began to move. The candles grew brighter and brighter until the suddenly faded out.

One by one, a little light appeared from the fires. Each ball of light surrounded Sungyeol and Myungsoo. The older smiled at each one and sighed at how they felt so warm and calm. The lights passed through Sungyeol’s body then went to Myungsoo. Sungyeol let the tears out as he can see life come back to Myungsoo’s skin, lips, and eyes.

On the other hand, he can feel himself slip away. He can feel himself on the edge of life and death. Every single second, he knows he will fall soon. Every single second, he knows that Myungsoo will wake up with a heart. Every single second, he knows that this will be the end of the two of them.



--------------------------------------------------------



Dongwoo begins the what will be the ending. His eyes slowly open, candles flicker in the night, and a strong wind burst through the doors. Howon stands there and helps Dongwoo stay steady. If this were to end badly, Dongwoo may lose his life as well.

The older muttered the chant, praying that everything will be alright. That the sun will shine like any other day. That the moon will watch over them when they sleep.

...That Myungsoo and Sungyeol will have an ending with each other.

The candles went out, the wind became a soft breeze, and Dongwoo’s eyes closed as he collapsed. Howon caught him in time and held him close. The younger placed his ear next to Dongwoo’s chest and let out a breath he didn’t know he was holding in.

Dongwoo was still alive.

“I promise I won’t leave you. Not now nor in the future.”

Tears slid down Dongwoo’s closed eyes as he heard those words. Not only because of that because it was finally over. One life will stand up again while another will fall and disappear.



------------------------------------------------------




Sunggyu closed his eyes as the moon finally shone itself in the midnight sky. The stars were twinkling in the night. The breeze brushed along the flowers, taking a few petals with it.

Soon, his eyes began to close on themselves, breathing slowing down, and suddenly becoming tired. His head didn’t hurt anymore. His heart felt at peace.

Everything was slowing down. He could feel himself lose the strength in his body. Sunggyu knew what was happening to him and decided to embrace it. There was no going back. For this is where he belongs. This is where his end is.



------------------------------------------------------



The balls of light began to shine brighter and brighter until there was one left. Sungyeol hovered over Myungsoo, the tears that won’t stop falling. Sungyeol’s vision began to get blurry, he was losing strength in his body, and he can feel himself slip from the lines of life.

Quiet like the night breeze, Sungyeol leaned down and gently pressed his own lips onto Myungsoo’s lips. His body shook with every second that passed by. Tears had mixed with the kiss but Sungyeol didn’t bother with it.

Slowly and reluctantly, Sungyeol pulled away from the person he loves dearly. He caressed Myungsoo’s cheek one more time, he kissed his forehead for the last time, and he gave his last smile to Myungsoo as the last ball of light left him.

It drifted into Myungsoo’s chest, the light carrying his heart. Sungyeol smiled softly at the sight now knowing the prince will have his heart back.

One last time, Sungyeol pressed their foreheads against each other, a shaky sigh leaving his lips.

“Myungsoo, from now on, you must smile with all of your heart. From now on, I won’t be part of your life. You must stand on your own and become a king we can all look up to. As a friend that loved you so much more than that, I only ask you of this: take care of your heart that you gave to me as a child. I’m giving it back to you because it is time for me to go. For this is where my life ends and where yours begins.”

Sungyeol was beginning to glow, but he didn’t feel like he was burning. Instead, he felt a sudden warmth envelop him. He wasn’t crying anymore as he embraced this light.

Then he looked down at his feet and hands; they were beginning to disappear into little balls of light. A lone tear slipped as he realized that his end is coming in a few minutes. Sungyeol took those last minutes to stare at Myungsoo.

“I will miss you dearly. Let’s meet again in the future where we can live different lives and be happy with each other. In the future, I won’t be a son that was abandoned on the steps of a family and you won’t be the prince of the country. We will be ordinary people living ordinary lives and we will happen to meet each other once again.”

Sungyeol began to fade, his body slowly becoming balls of lights that floated in the air. It was as if they were waiting for the last bits that Sungyeol wanted to tell the prince.

“Myungsoo, I must go now. I promise we will meet again. I will hold onto that promise until the day we are reincarnated where I will fall in love with you once again. And maybe...just maybe you will love me as well.”

Sungyeol leaned forward, pressing his lips onto Myungsoo’s lips. Then he slowly faded into the light as they floated out the window and into the night sky. The warmth left, the room faded into the darkness, and Myungsoo finally woke up.

The prince sat up, placed his hand against his chest, and the tears dropped one by one. He screamed into the darkness as his heart screamed in pain as well. Myungsoo reached out but Sungyeol was already gone. It was too late.

“Sungyeol! I promise! I promise we will meet again in the future! I-I...promise...”

Myungsoo let himself be taken in the sadness for he knows he can’t dwell on it forever. He can’t let Sungyeol’s efforts go to waste. He can’t let his heart succumb to the darkness forever, for he has to smile.

He has to smile that way Sungyeol will be happy in the heavens. He has to smile for Sungyeol...the one person that will forever be the person he loves the most.

“With this heart,” he clutches tightly onto his shirt, “I will smile for you and only you. I will this country with my heart. I will laugh, cry, and smile with my heart. Thank you, Sungyeol, and let’s meet again in the future.”




----------------------------------------------------------




Woohyun finally made it to the clearing, but he couldn’t find Sunggyu anywhere. He searched and searched until he finally saw his back against the tree. The younger ran over to Sunggyu, but stopped when he saw the latter.

The letter in his hand dropped and rolled down into the flowers. The peach blossom petals drifted into the wind, carrying the life an angel into the sky. Woohyun dropped onto his knees, screamed in frustration, and pounded at the ground.

Sitting before him was a smiling Sunggyu, eyes closed, and the hairpin shining from the moonlight. Woohyun cried into the night, letting regret and guilt envelop him into the pools of tears.

Sunggyu... Woohyun realized that the older’s chest was rising and falling. For he had left his world before Woohyun could say anything.


My dear Woohyun,

When you get this letter, please don’t fret. There is a reason why I’m writing to you. If I were to tell you what I’m about to say, I know I wouldn’t be able to say them as my tears would take control of me.
Woohyun, there is something I’ve held for too long that needs to be told. First, I hope you lead a happy life with my sister. Even though we are only half-sister and half-brother, please don’t make her cry. Secondly, watch over Myungsoo for me. What he will go through today will shred his heart into pieces and they may never be put back together again. However, I would like you to stay by his side as a friend and a brother. Thirdly, I wish I could tell you this myself, but I’m a coward at heart.
I love you, Woohyun. It is unlikely for a man and a man to be in love, but I have fallen for you. Woohyun, I was afraid to tell you. I was afraid that I would lose the most important person in my life if I confessed my feelings. That is why I’m a coward. I’m a coward for not telling anyone that I was sick. Doctors couldn’t figure out my illness and told me there was nothing that could be done. Woohyun, don’t be a coward like me and face the future with that smile of yours because that is one of the many things I love about you.
Love... You might be wondering how or why I fell in love with you. There are many instances and reasons but I don’t think those are the true reason as to why I fell in love with you. Love knows no boundaries when a person falls in love. Love doesn’t have a reason for a person falling in love. Love brings happiness and pain, but the person must remember that they fell in love without a reason for their happiness and pain. I...I fell in love with you without a reason for doing so.

 I simply love you,

Sunggyu


 

 

 

 



OMG! I'm so sorry for the late update! However, this fic is finally finished and I hope you guys loved it! I was listening to the Moon Embraces the Sun ost and Inuyasha Ost...yeah definitely the best to listen when writing this.

Anyways! I want to thank every who suscribed, commented, upvoted, and even those who just read!

Also...I do have an idea for a sequel but that totally depends on you readers! So comment below if you one or not or just simply comment about this fic!

 

LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!!!! ALSO PLEASE EXCUSE ME FOR MY MISTAKES AS USUAL!