Ch. 1- The Beginning of the Ending

My Prince's Heart

The Prince’s Heart

Chapter 1- The Beginning of the Ending

He looked up at the clear, blue sky fascinated at how beautiful it looked. How he wish he could fly to sky and feel the wind caress his face. There was a loud noise disrupting his peaceful thinking as someone the same age as him came running to him.

“ Myungsoo-wangja! Myungsoo-wanja!”

The said boy sat up and glared at the coming boy. He rolled his eyes as the other tripped and face planted the ground. Myungsoo got up and held out his hand to the other boy.

“ Take my hand and stand up, Sungyeol.”

He took his hand, got up, and brushed away the dust on his clothes. Sungyeol looked up and smiled his gummy smile making Myungsoo grimace.

“ Don’t smile like that you’re only making yourself look like a fool.”

Myungsoo started to walk away to his chambers to deal with some papers that his father, the King, made him study for. He obviously didn’t want to but being the prince meant he has to. Sungyeol caught up with him and just smile without a care in the world.

“ Myungsoo-wangja, Myungdae-wang wants you to head straight to your room! I was told to tell you that.” Sungyeol bowed to Myungsoo and then quickly regained his space next to the prince.

“ I understand. I already knew that before you even told me.” Sungyeol rubbed his neck in embarrassment and laughed to himself.

“ Oh, I see. Excuse me for not knowing, Myungsoo-wangja.”

Suddenly, Myungsoo stopped walking and turned to Sungyeol. He looked at him straight in the eyes, and something stirred in Sungyeol’s hear. But not Myungsoo’s heart. The prince’s heart was ice cold, or more like it wasn’t there. It was as if he wasn’t born with a heart. He used to laugh and smile as a child but one day it disappeared. The smiles and laughter of the prince disappeared.

“ I-Is there something I did wrong, Myungsoo-wangja?” He shook his head and patted Sungyeol’s shoulder.

“ You’ve done nothing wrong. Lets continue to my chamber. I need to study.” Sungyeol nodded and skipped beside the prince.

“ Of course! Lets go and study so that Myungsoo-wangja can pass the test!”

Myungsoo just rolled his eyes and shook his head: his usual reaction to Sungyeol’s antics. Though behind it, there was a tiny smile. A smile that only appears when he is next to Sungyeol.

----------------------------------------------------

The walk back to the center of the palace was short, but meaningful. To Sungyeol that is. Like the servants in the palace would, Sungyeol silently walked behind Myungsoo. Just like a shadow did Sungyeol follow him. Myungsoo didn’t look back but he knew that Sungyeol was following him like his servants would. Sungyeol is his friend yet he can’t have him walking along side him.

Sungyeol was looking up at the sky not noticing that Myungsoo had stopped. His dangly body collided with Myungsoo’s strong and sturdy one. In the end, Sungyeol fell onto the ground landing on his . Panic rose inside his body thinking that he hurt the prince.

As quickly as possible, Sungyeol stood up and bowed at a ninety degree.

“ I-I’m very sorry for not watching where I was walking, Myungsoo-wangja! I will be more careful next time!”

Myungsoo shook his head and went up to Sungyeol. He pulled Sungyeol’s body back up and patted his head despite Sungyeol being a little bit taller than him.

“ It’s okay. Just be up in the clouds all day. I need for you to stay down on Earth.”

Sungyeol smiled and nodded his head. He bowed again to Myungsoo and straightened his back. “ I promise I will, Myungsoo-wangja.” Then he took a few steps forward and motioned for the prince to follow him.

“ Myungsoo-wangja is very nice. I’m sure you will make a very good king.” Myungsoo sighed at this and shook his head. Deep inside he thinks he isn’t ready to become king. No matter what, he wants to stay a prince and live a life he is currently living.

“ You know I’m not ready to be king yet. The people say I don’t have a heart. Even the King, my father, says I don’t have the heart to rule the country yet.”

Myungsoo placed his hand over his chest where his heart is. The night he turned eight, it was said he lost his heart too. None know why, but the reason they think so is because the prince never genuinely smiled again.

With a sad expression on, Sungyeol took a few steps forward to Myungsoo and placed his hand on top of Myungsoo’s. The prince looked at Sungyeol wondering what the boy was doing. It’s been a long time since Sungyeol has ever touched him like this. Tears were b Sungyeol’s eyes but he held them back.

“ I wish I could help you, Myungsoo-wangja. I wish I could help you here.”

The sound of scurrying feet was getting louder so Sungyeol tore his hand off and took a few steps away from Myungsoo. He turned his back to him not wanting the prince to see him almost crying. Almost. Sungyeol doesn’t fully remember the last time he has cried. All he knows is that there was no reason to cry. Not now at least.

“ Myungsoo-wangja! We have been looking for you all over the palace! Hurry your father is calling for you. He wants to have a few words with you.”

Myungsoo reluctantly nodded his head, and when he realized Sungyeol wasn’t around, he left with the servants.


Sungyeol had left before Myungsoo could have noticed. He was walking along the palace grounds kicking the dirt. There was nothing for him to do here. He was under his father’s care learning how to be a scholar. All he knows is how to study and do well on the tests.

Everyone knows Sungyeol as the son of the well most known teacher at the school. Everybody has high expectations of him to succeed like his father but he doesn’t believe so. He thinks that whatever he does won’t change anything. He felt that way since he was young.

He remembered when he was younger that he got severely ill that there was a chance he couldn’t live the next day. The faces of his worried parents and little brother and sister hovering him as he was laying in bed was etched into his head forever. His little brother and sister were crying like the endless rain while his mother was taking care of him and his father was just watching him.

His father. He remembers since he was young that they didn’t have much of a relationship. Even now they don’t unless it’s about school. All those years when he wanted to play and have fun, his father was never there. Though he was there for his little brother and sister.

His little brother and sister are Sungjong and Naeun. Sungyeol wasn’t jealous but rather he would want his father to look at him with adoration. Love. Anything to show that his father cared about him.

While walking around, he comes to a little pond filled with little fish. He leaned over and watched as the fish swam about in their own little world. Maybe that was how he felt. Like a little fish in this little pond that he can never leave; can never escape. That whatever happens in this little pond of his, it will effect him too.

So...this is how my world is like. I wish I could live in a bigger place. A different world. A world where I’m not stuck in the little pond.

Sungyeol picked himself up and headed out of the palace grounds. But on doing so, he bumps into a familiar person. It was Sunggyu the other prince, but the son of a concubine. Myungsoo’s older brother.

He bowed to Sunggyu. “ Hello Sunggyu-goon.”

Sunggyu softly smiled and nodded his head. “ Hello Sungyeol. How have you been?”

Sungyeol straightened himself out and smiled like a child. Sunggyu didn’t mind though because he needed a bit of sunshine in his life.

“ I’ve been doing well. I’m honored that Sunggyu-goon asked me.” Sunggyu shook his head and laughed. Sungyeol noticed something about his laugh; how it was strained. Forced.

“ No, no, no. It’s alright. I must get going now. It was nice seeing you on this good morning.”

Sunggyu turned towards the gates inside the palace, but then turned his head over his shoulder.

“ Sungyeol, do you know how Woohyun has been?”

Sungyeol thought about it for a few seconds and shrugged his shoulders. “ I don’t know. I’m sorry I can’t help you Sunggyu-goon.”

“ Don’t be. I will go look for him myself.”

“ But I think that where ever Myungsoo-wangja is, he is with him. You do remember that he is bodyguard for the prince.”

Sunggyu looked up at the empty sky with a solemn expression. He lifted his hand up and a butterfly flew to his delicate finger. A butterfly with beautiful rainbow wings. Such a fragile yet beautiful creature: like Sunggyu himself. That is what everyone thinks of him. A prince but came from a concubine. More beautiful than many of the women out there. Yet he was delicate because he has been weak since he was a child.

“ Yes, I do remember.” The butterfly flew away and into the empty sky. “ I remember very well. He came up to me excited that he was going to be the bodyguard for my little brother. I wish he was not, but I can’t stop him. He is the best swordsman that has been seen in such a long time.
When they were children Sunggyu and Myungsoo would watch Woohyun practice his swordsmanship. The first time Woohyun ever gripped a sword, he knew he wanted to serve the prince who will become the future king.

Sunggyu frowned sadly at the happy expression Woohyun wore when he said he would be serving his little brother. He thought Woohyun would be his bodyguard, but he was wrong. He should have realized that no matter what, he was never going to be the future king of this country .

“ Sunggyu-goon?” Sungyeol stood a few feet in front of the Sunggyu wondering why he blanked out for a few minutes.

“ Oh, I’m sorry. I was thinking of some...things. I must get going now. Lets get together some other time.” Sungyeol nodded his head and smiled.

“ Of course. We shall meet again.”

Then just like that the two went on different paths yet did they know their endings may be the same.

---------------------------------------------------

Myungsoo was sitting in his room looking over books and scrolls to study for his last test his father was giving him. Across the room from him was Nam Woohyun-- his bodyguard. Everywhere the prince went, he will be beside or him or at least where he could watch the prince. The king assigned Woohyun because of his sword skills and his intellect. Woohyun remembered the day he received the news he would be the prince’s personal bodyguard. That meant he was of high standard to the royal family.

“ Woohyun, I need you to do a favor for me.” Woohyun turned in his seat and faced Myungsoo.

“ Is there something wrong? Do I need to get something for you?” Myungsoo shook his head and motioned for Woohyun to come closer.

Woohyun watched as Myungsoo placed a piece of paper into his palm. He wondered what the prince wrote in it. But then it was also probably nothing. Woohyun couldn’t ask him because that would be like questioning the power of the royal family.

Instead, Woohyun nodded his head and placed the piece of paper into his pocket. He patted the pocket for reassurance. This was a habit of his. No matter what he had he made sure to pat himself.

“ Myungsoo-wangja, may I know what the piece of paper contains.”
Myungsoo look at Woohyun and simply stared at him. Lifeless. Without a heart. That empty, cold stare sent chills up Woohyun’s spine. He backed away and bowed at a ninety degree angle.

“ I’m sorry for asking! I will not ask a question like that anymore!” Myungsoo mentally sighed and stood up from his spot. He walked over to Woohyun and motioned him to face him. So Woohyun did and was a bit shaken but put on a facade.

“ I will not tell you what the paper contains, but I need you to give it to Sungyeol.”

Woohyun simply left without a word and went to find Sungyeol. This left Myungsoo by himself in his room with his books and scrolls. He went back down at his spot and looked through his materials. He propped his head on his hand as he turned the pages.

A sigh escaped his mouth and he fell down to his bed. The only thing he was looking was his ceiling. He placed his arm over his eyes and sighed once again.

“ My last test is tomorrow...which means I will take over the throne soon.”

Myungsoo became bored so he left his room and roamed the palace grounds. The servants bowed to him and he was glad nobody was following him. Usually there is a line of servants following him, but not today. He told everybody to leave him alone for the day or else they would be punished.

He walked aimlessly but then suddenly his sister came running up to him. Seunghyun ran to Myungsoo with her servants following her. She smiled at him and was breathless by the time she reached him.

“ Myungsoo-wangja! Have you seen Woohyun?”

“ Yes, he is out on an errand for me. Why are you asking?”

She blushed a little bit and covered her face in embarrassment. Then she bowed to Myungsoo and left without replying back. Of course her servants followed her to leaving Myungsoo a bit confused. He just shook off whatever just happened and proceeded to wherever he was going.

He came to a little pond with little fish in there. Myungsoo remembered that his father placed new fish in here hoping that it would give the little pond new life. Even though he didn’t want to agree with his father, but Myungsoo thought that the little pond looked...happier.

Bending down as he observed the little fish, he began to wonder what it would be like to be a fish. Swimming around with no care in the world, in your own little world, and just having the people have known since you were born. Though if he were to be with the people he has known since he was born then that would be too much.

While Myungsoo was busy looking at the pond, Sungyeol had arrived. Woohyun gave him the paper and Sungyeol followed the instructions, and they were to find the prince. At first he didn’t know where the prince would be but he did know that he wouldn’t be in his room. Sungyeol has known for a long time that Myungsoo can’t stand to stay in one place for a long time.

So he followed his heart. It may seem cliché but that is what he did. His heart led him to where Myungsoo is. No matter how far Myungsoo was or wherever he was, Sungyeol would easily find him. It was like doing puzzles. There may be many pieces but the pieces will eventually find each other and connect.

Sungyeol knew best to not surprise Myungsoo because he knows he won’t get a reaction. He still does it, though. Slowly and quietly, Sungyeol creeps behind Myungsoo and places his hands on his shoulders. The sudden action did make Myungsoo’s body flinch, but when he turned his head around he was expressionless.

“ H-Hello, Myungsoo-wangja...” Myungsoo stood up and brushed the dirt off his clothes.

“ What were trying to do to me? Send me into that small pond?”

Sungyeol just shrugged his shoulders and pouted. Myungsoo saw this and sighed for the nth time today. He took three steps towards Sungyeol and patted his head. A sign of affection from Myungsoo that he has always done to Sungyeol. This makes Sungyeol smile like the sun at Myungsoo yet Myungsoo can’t feel anything. But deep inside his heart there was a tingly feeling.

Myungsoo immediately took his hand off Sungyeol’s head. He turned around and began to walk forward. Then he noticed that Sungyeol wasn’t following him so he motioned for Sungyeol to follow. It wasn’t a servant following the prince, but a dear friends walking next to each other. Sungyeol of course took a few steps back because Myungsoo was still the prince.

“ Sungyeol, come walk next to me right now.” Sungyeol shook his head.

“ It isn’t very respectful. I have to abide to the rules.”

“ Who says you can’t walk next to me?” Sungyeol pouted and crossed his arms.

“ It’s because you’re the prince and I’m just a scholar. This morning didn’t you also tell your servants to not follow you anywhere?”

Myungsoo stopped all of a sudden making Sungyeol collide into his back. Myungsoo mentally face palmed himself and then turned around. Then in that moment their faces were so close to each other someone else would think they are kissing. But it’s wrong. It’s wrong for two men to be in...love with each other.

Myungsoo took the first step back and Sungyeol took a few steps back too. They turned their bodies around so they weren’t facing each other. To be more exact they couldn’t face each other. What just happened now will be buried away in their memories and their hearts.

Sungyeol immediately bowed at a ninety degree angle and apologized. “ I’m very sorry, Myungsoo-wangja! I didn’t mean to collide into you and cause a situation like that to happen! I will reflect on this when I--”

“ Don’t.”

Sungyeol looked up confused. “ What do you mean by don’t?” Myungsoo turned at Sungyeol for a quick second and then back.

“ I mean you don’t have to reflect on this. It was part of my fault too.”

Myungsoo continued to forward while Sungyeol stood in place. What froze him in place was what he saw. It couldn’t be described in words because it would be impossible to do so. In that second that Myungsoo looked at him, Sungyeol noticed that the corner of Myungsoo’s mouth went up. The corner of Myungsoo’s mouth lifted up which meant he almost smiled.

The realization that Myungsoo almost fully smiled at Sungyeol made his heart burst into happiness. Nobody, and I mean nobody, has seen the prince make any improvement in smiling. And here he was the first one to experience it.

With a hand over his heart, he promised that he would keep this moment a secret to himself. Sungyeol smiled to himself and whispered a few words.

I promise to save this memory into my heart. Even if I die one day, I will remember this day forever.

“ Sungyeol! Get over here this instant!”

Sungyeol snapped out of his thoughts and ran over to the prince.

“ I’m coming Myungsoo-wangja!”

And this time Sungyeol walked next to Myungsoo with a smile as bright as the sun.


---------------------------------------------------


Sunggyu was strolling around the streets of the city. He was looking at trinkets vendors were selling and trying some of the food. None of the citizens recognized him as he wasn’t in any fancy clothes. He just wore a simple green and grey hanbok.

He felt at peace with the common people. Truly, he felt like he didn’t belong in the royal palace. As a child he always felt left out. Since he wasn’t a child born from a concubine, he wouldn’t be the one to inherit the throne. He wouldn’t be the next king, but he didn’t care about that.

When he was a child, he never cared about being a prince or not being able to become the next king. He never harbored ill feelings towards Myungsoo. Sunggyu loved his brother like any other brother would. They may not have the same mother, but he has a brotherly relationship with his brother. And he is satisfied with that.

On the way, he picked up some flowers and walked up a hill. This place... It was his mother’s wish to be buried here where her other family members are buried. And here is where he wished to be buried too. He doesn’t want to be buried where the royal family is. Honestly, he would feel better here after death.

Gently he placed the flower down on the green grass. Sunggyu placed his mother’s favorite fruits and paid his respects. Then he brushed away the dust on the headstone and softly smiled. It was like his mother was standing before him and Sunggyu smiled like a child when he receives candy.

“ Mother, I’m here to visit you. Your son has been doing well. I’m healthy so you don’t have to worry about me up there. Myungsoo has been doing well and is getting ready to be the next king. I’m going to keep your promise and watch him as he grows in an amazing king that will be remembered forever.”

He looked up at the cloudless sky and sighed.

“ I know you wished for me to be the next king, but I won’t be able to. I never had those wishes mother, so please watch over Myungsoo as he becomes king of our country. Myungsoo...he will make a great king of our home.”

He stood up and brushed the grass off. Then he smiled but it didn’t reach his eyes. Sunggyu was trying to hide the pain when he lost his mother to an illness. She couldn’t be saved, and Sunggyu blamed himself because she was always taking care of him.

“ Mother, watch over me too. Lets meet again in another life. Where it will be much brighter, and where father will only look at and love you.”

Sunggyu started to walk away from his mother’s grave, but stopped when he saw the one person he didn’t want to see at the moment.

Standing before him was Woohyun holding onto an iris-- Sunggyu’s mother favorite flowers. Woohyun walked pass Sunggyu and placed the flower on the grave and paid his respects.

“ Sunggyu...”

He didn’t answer back but walked ahead. Woohyun trailed after him trying to keep up. Sunggyu’s breath was shortening because he started to run. He wanted to get away from Woohyun or else his heart would burst just being around the latter.

“ Sunggyu!”

Sunggyu didn’t look back and kept on running. He kept on running despite his health. He lied to his mother. He wasn’t feeling better and instead he felt worse than ever in his life.

The world began to spin. His world began to spin. Everything that he once hold dear were slipping out from his fingertips, and there was nothing he could do about it.

When he got back to the city grounds he realized that he lost Woohyun. He let out a sigh of relief but began to cough furiously. People around him were giving him weird looks wondering what was wrong with him.

It was beginning to get too much for Sunggyu as he continued to walk around. The immense mass of people dawned on him. He had to get out of there before he passed out. Because he knew nobody would help him if he passed out on the ground.

Trying to find ways out of the city, he finally found a way back to the palace. He placed his hand on the wall as support. His vision started to blur, everything blending together. What he didn’t notice was that he was crying. Not from pain but because nobody was helping him.

Nobody.

He was alone.

As always.

“ Sunggyu!”

Sunggyu slowly turned around but found himself falling down. His eyes closed on themselves as the person caught Sunggyu. He tried to force his eyes open but they were being defiant. As if his eyes were a being themselves.

“ Sunggyu, wake up, please!”

The person lifted Sunggyu up and carried him in his arms. He ran and ran to the palace grounds looking for a doctor. Suddenly the princess saw the person and ran towards him.

“ Woo--”

“ I’m sorry, Seunghyun-gongju, but I must go now. Sunggyu-goon needs medical attention.”

Then just like that he passed the angry princess. A doctor had finally heard Woohyun’s pleas of help and led him to Sunggyu’s bedroom.

Woohyun laid Sunggyu on the bed and backed away. The doctor told Woohyun to wait outside to give Sunggyu space. He did as what the doctor told him and left the premises.

He stood outside and looked at the cloudless sky.

Sunggyu... What has happened to you? Why won’t you talk to me anymore? I miss you...

 

 

 

 

 

(A/N: Here is the first chapter! And OMG! 43 suscribers already! Thank you very much! Love you all! Hope you enjoy this fic! Sorry if I have like the Prince and Princess and any other terms wrong. I just used what Wikipedia said so yeah! LOL! Until next time!)