RUN LITTLE KITTEN

MOON CHILD

 

“Mingyu!!! Run!!!” Yixing shouted behind me. “Keep running!!!” 
 

And run I did… 
 

My feet were already sore from running, my eyes already blinded with sweat and tears. But not once did I stop… 

 

Run, little kitten run… 
 

I could still hear the priestess’ voice chanting inside my head, taunting me. 

 

Run, little kitten run...

 

Don’t let the big wolves catch you… 
 

 

I tripped face first on some weeds on the ground but Yixing was quick to grab me and pull me farther away. 

 

Run, little kitten run…

 

Don’t let the wolves catch you…

 

You know what would happen if they do… 
 

 

I started to cry at the thought of being killed. Why? What have I done? I don’t deserve this. It’s not my fault. Not mine. I never wanted to be a half blood. It’s not my fault that I’m not pure. 
 

 

The council have never wanted me inside the town. They never liked the idea of the people—the children of the Wolf—mingling with someone not as blessed. What’s worse is that I’m a moonchild; a child born when the moon was red, when there was nothing to hunt or harvest—a time of famine. 
 

 

Yet Joonmyun, one of the lunar priests, together with his student, Yixing, kept me. He took care of me when my mother, who was one of them, died. 
 

 

They were the only ones who believed in my abilities, the only ones patient enough to teach me the ways of their clan. They had thought me to hunt, they thought me to fight. They also tried to teach me magic. Only in that, did they fail since I am half human. 

 

 

But now, Joonmyun is gone and the council had turned against me. They only decided to yield to his plea of keeping me because he is the most respected among them. With him, not one of them could harm me. With him, I could live.

 

 

But not anymore…

 

Yixing pulled me further through the forest. My whole body was now so tired and numb I feel like fainting. 

 


“Y-Yixing…” 


“I know you’re tired Mingyu…but we have to get away…they’re catching up on us.” And true enough, I could already feel the others’ presence nearing their way towards us. 


We kept on running for a few more moments when all of a sudden, someone leapt up in front of us, blocking our way. 
 

“Going somewhere?” His grin was wide enough to show a pair of fangs glinting in the moonlight. 
 

 

“Yifan…” I stepped closer against Yixing. If there’s one thing I’m sure about right now, it’s the fact that Yixing would never let them have me. 

 


“You should have let the council deal with that kid, Yixing.” He stepped closer towards us. I heard Yixing growl deep within his chest as he extended his fangs, bracing himself for any attack. 

 


“Oh? Is our dear puppy learning to fight back now?” It was my turn to extend my own fangs at the new comer who was right behind us. 


Luhan was stepping his way nearer, every move covered with grace and felinity. Who knew someone like him could kill you in a snap? 

 


“tsk, tsk.” He clicked his tongue at us, throwing a pathetic look at Yixing. “Yifan’s right Yixing, You should have let them kill the moon child.” 

 


In an instant, the rest of their fellowmen came; Sehun, Tao and Xiumin. They formed a circle around us, getting ready for an attack against the fugitives. 

 


“This is wrong…” Yixing tried to defend me verbally, with the faintest hope that it might help. “Why her? She’s innocent.” 

 


“She’s a half blood and a moon child.” Xiumin answered. “We cannot let her live.” 

 


“It’s still wrong!” 

 


“Wrong or Right, we don’t care.” Tao spoke in, ending the negotiation. “We need to follow orders.” And with that, he started towards us. 

 


Yixing was quick to shift position and block Tao from me, “Mingyu, Run!!!” 

 


“B-But…You.” 

 


“Now!!! Run!!! I’ll catch up with you…” 
 

 

“I can’t leave you here…” 
 

 

“NOW!!!” 
 

 

I started running but stopped to look back at Yixing. All five of them were going for him now. He was the best fighter in town but five men were just too much. 

 


“Mingyu!!! Go!!! Don’t look back!!!” 
 

 

I ran as fast as I could…Yixing…He wouldn’t stand a chance…But still, I kept my hope up that he will be alright. 
 

 

I could still feel him, his presence. I could still smell his scent, hear his heartbeat which was fading with every distance I covered.

 

I kept on running and running and running.

 

Suddenly, I stopped. 



“YIXING!!!” 
 

His presence…it’s gone. I can’t feel him anymore. I felt my heart stop and drop to the ground.

I started running again. To where, I don’t know. Tears blinded my eyes as I kept on running swiftly, my feet silent against the leaves, just as Yixing and Joonmyun thought me. 

Little kitten, are you still running? You’re friend is gone. There’s no one to look after you now. 

Somewhere in up ahead, I heard a stream. I ran towards the sound and fell down on my knees as I reached the bank. 

Tears stung my eyes as I kept on crying like a child. 

Yixing…Joonmyun…My brothers…My family…Gone. 

Poor little kitten, your friends died because of you.

 

You are a curse.

 

You can never change that. 



I kept on crying under the moonlight. Under the very deity that cursed me. 

 


You must understand.

 

You are a moon child.

 

You are meant to be alone.

 

You can never be with anyone else… 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For being with you is death…