6

Innocent

Narrator

Jessica's hands were getting clammy and she felt sick in the stomach. The cue was given and she slowly walked onto the stage, her legs shaking madly with every step. She could hear the audience cheering, the hushed whispers of the bored students sitting in the back row and could sense the expectation everybody had of her. Taking her place at the computer, she saw the AV crew give her the thumbs up.

The red curtains were raised up and she spotted three masked men sitting in the front row. Jessica would have burst out laughing if her heart wasn't feeling so tight. Jaejoong, Yunho and Changmin were easily the tallest among the entire audience and they had to slouch so that the other people in the back could see. With their oversized coats and sunglasses they looked like cheap spies that were doing very bad jobs trying to stay hidden. 

Jessica closed her eyes as the background music began to play, her fingers finding the right keys with ease. She pictured being alone, the three idols advices playing like a broken recorder in her head. The cheers and wolf-whistles faded in the darkness and all she heard was the smooth melody. 

Jessica started to sing, her sweet voice sending shivers down the three idols' spines. They were all very impressed that an ordinary girl such as herself could even hold a tune. For once, they forgot their bet and just enjoyed the performance, their eyes glued to her face and not her curves. 


After performing, the anxiety rushed back to Jessica. Her legs wobbled when she saw the vast crowd, she started to worry about their opinions and became very self conscious. She hurried down the steps, forgetting to bow to the audience. Ignoring the AV crew who were congratulating and complimenting her, Jessica ran to her waiting room, her long dress hindering her movements. 

"Woah princess, it's not midnight yet." A familiar voice said as a pair of warm hands grabbed her arm. Jessica spun around, her eyes as wide as saucers. Jaejoong immediately took a step back, raising his hands in the air. The girl looked like she was about to vomit any second. 

"Hyung! The hell did you do to her?" Changmin asked, fanning the flustered Jessica Jung with a hand while playfully punched Jaejoong with the other. Jaejoong shot him a glare just as Yunho joined the trio. 

"Are you ok hon?" Yunho asked, taking his handkerchief out to wipe her sweaty forehead. She nodded mutely, her mind still in a daze. Turning away from the group she walked away like a zombie, unaware of her surroundings. The pressure after the performance was weighing her down and Jessica was afraid that she would get bullied in school for having a lousy voice. The pure girl was always doubting herself. 

"What. The. ." Changmin whispered as he looked at Jessica's retreating figure. 

"Don't be too hard on her min, I bet the pressure is eating her bones." Yunho reasoned, a chuckle escaping his lips. 

"So, do you think we should follow her?" Jaejoong asked, feeling slightly worried for the girl.

"Awwwwww did somebody develope feelings for a minor?" Yunho teased as he nudged the former leader. 

"She isn't a minor idiot." The other spat back. 

"Er yea she is. She's 20." Changmin said and walked off to find Jessica. The voices of his hyungs' arguing fading with every step he took. 


"Don't worry Jessi! The crowd loved you. We love you." Yunho said as he leaned forward to pinch the girl's cheeks. All four of them were at Jaejoong's house. 

"Stop it." Jessica whined as she covered her face with a pillow and lay on her side. She still wasn't feeling great after four hours and her current mood was killing the atmosphere in the house. Changmin sighed and scratched the back of his head. Jessica Jung sure knew the best way to put herself down. 

"Ok... Why don't you go tell Jae to cook for us. I'm starving." Yunho said, hoping to distract the girl by giving her a task to do. Nodding sadly, Jessica dragged her feet to his door. In her sad orb, she had forgotten to knock and just barged in, her eyes unfocused. 

"Jaejoong oppa... Yunho oppa asked me to ask you to cook." Jessica mumbled her eyes still on the ground. 

"Je...Jessica..." Came his reply and Jessica looked up, frowning at the weird answer. Her eyes widened and a high pitched scream followed after, the leader standing as still as a rock, shock not allowing him to move an inche.