Bed Talk

Come What May

 

 

Park Shin Hye - Pitch Black

 

“Mrs. Wu, good to see you! Do you mind to explain the concept of your dress tonight?”

“Love your dress and hair do! Is this related with your new brand concept?”

“Nana Wu, what do you think of tonight’s celebration? Your existing brand seemed to be successful, what do you think about the new brand of Belle Club?”

“Where’s Mr. Wu? Usually you’re accompanied by him, will he appeared tonight?”

All the camera flashes and questions coming from the paparazzi totally made everything worse for Nana. She kept smiling and tried to look to one of the paparazzi, focusing to the faces and answered the questions. She learnt a lot about this red carpet thingy, all she needs to do is smiling and posing and later on, moved to the red carpet interview area before she could finally go inside the venue. Most of the time, she’s blinded by the camera flash, for she quite have a monthly fashion event to attend. But by experienced, she learned to control it. Even though her eyes sometimes hurt, she learned to answer a question at a time. Usually it’s a success, but not tonight.

Nana was too immersed on her thought about her kids. She’s worried because she hadn’t talked to Catherine or Alden. When she called to grandma’s house, Catherine was still not coming back from school and Alden was asleep. She didn’t know why, but she felt a bit hesitate to contact Kris. She knew he’s angry with her, so she didn’t want to rush things. She’ll talk to him after the event; hopefully she could get things done. It hurts her to have her loved ones turned their back to her. But the show must go on, she’ll just nail this launching event and she’ll go for him. Apologize, beg, everything; she wants him back.

“Ma’am, how do you feel about your new brand? Do you get the support from the family?” another questioned being asked to her.

Nana really wanted to curse at that question.

“Well actually-“

“Mr. Wu! What do you think about this launching event? Do you feel it’s going to be great?”

At the mentioned of Mr. Wu, Nana frowned at the reporter. Was she heard wrong? Why the reporter suddenly called her husband name when he’s not even-

Nana couldn’t hide her surprise look once she saw Kris stood next to her. Dressed in his black suit and hair pulled to the back, Kris looked overly handsome and charming. The paparazzi started to take his pictures and asked him several questions. Just like he’s adjusted to it, Kris answered pretty well and flashed his kind smile before finally intertwined his fingers with hers.

“I came as a surprise actually. My wife didn’t know if I’ll come to this event” he explained, glancing to her. Understanding his answer, Nana quickly smiled and faced the reporter.

“Ye-yes, I thought he wouldn’t come. That’s why I looked very surprise about his appearance tonight” she added, tried to hide her stuttering words.  

“You two looked great together. Mind to pose some more here?” one of the reporters suggested, leading them to the podium to pose together. Naturally, Kris placed his left hand on her left waist, half hugging her. Both of them smiled and posed several times, amusing the paparazzi there. They took quite a lot of shots of the perfect couple, Mr. and Mrs. Wu.

Nana suddenly remembered they were once having this kind of moment. When they took their pre-wedding photo-shoot, they’re arguing also. It’s was bad that time, they even agreed to cancel the wedding, fueled by anger and emotion. And to see them having the similar time like that again, she could feel her heart sank.

Nana glanced at her husband. He totally surprised her with his presence. The last 24 hours was the hardest time she ever had. She fought with him, being ignored, and when she woke up, she didn’t even see him on her sight. He left for office and the kids were away also. She’s on the verge of breaking down, but no matter what the reason of his presence now, she felt thankful to him. Whether he came because he wanted to show his anger to her or to make up with her (which she unsure of), she still appreciate it. Because all she needs now is Kris, by her side.

“Can we go now?” Kris politely said to the reporters and softly took her hand and led the way, ending the red carpet interview. “Let’s go inside” he said with a soft voice, but Nana knew he’s doing that for a public stunt. Aside from his arrival, he hadn’t looked at her eyes for once. He’s just saving her face in front of the media.

She missed his voice and the gentle feeling of him talking to her. She still recalled how cold his voice was and how harsh he treated her last night. Nana was still not sure whether Kris was fine now, but at least, he’s here and that’s the important thing right now. As they walked inside in silence, he tightened his grip on her hand, a little bit made her heart fell at ease. And that’s enough for Nana, he’s here with her.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Congratulation, Nana! Really looking forward to see the selling goes up and up for your brand!” Elizabeth Tan, one of her business relatives, happily said as she kissed both of Nana’s cheeks.

“Thanks for your support, Elizabeth. And thank you once again for coming to the event. Have a nice weekend!” Nana said, bidding goodbye as she nodded and waved to her.

The event was successfully held. Everyone seemed to feel satisfied with the new product of Belle Club and they gave their full support for Nana. She felt a huge amount of weight being removed from her. It felt good now; she could breathe well after days of sleepless and tired night.

After saying goodbye to most of the crew and her team there, Nana went directly to the parking lot where Kris waited. He stood near the gate, looking for her. Kris played with his shoes, kicking the empty asphalt. Still looking neat, he looked up once he heard her heels’ sound. Nana walked straight to him and stopped with an awkward feeling.

“Done?” he asked and got a nod as a reply.

He walked by her side, heading to the car. He opened the door for her and waited until she took a seat there. Once they settled, he started the engine and drove home. It was a silent trip, as all the conversation made between them only consisted whether they should go for dinner or not. And when she said she’s not hungry, the dialogue stopped.

The road in Hong Kong at night was never really quiet though, so she tried to look around the lights on the road and busily watching people moving around the city. As she realized that they’re getting near to their home, Nana looked at him, only to find Kris’ serious face. He didn’t say anything as he drove the car, completely immersed in the silent mood.

“The kids… Aren’t we supposed to take them home?”

He shook his head, still watching on the road. “We’ll pick them up tomorrow. It’s late now, they must have been asleep” he replied. “Miss Lo stayed with them tonight” he added, reassuring her that the kids will be alright. She knew she could feel at ease when Miss Lo is around. She’s loved by the kids and Nana knew how much Miss Lo treasured her kids.

They’re still reluctant to talk with each other after the talk about the kids. It’s as if Kris’ presence earlier didn’t change the whole situation they’re having. When they arrived, Nana informed him that she’s going straight to their room. He placed the car key, loosened his tie and sighed. They’re still awkward, but he couldn’t help it. Words seemed not wanting to left his mouth. He didn’t know why but he felt silence is way better.

Following her to their room, he could hear the water running on the bathroom. Kris took off his suit and decided to take a bath in the other bathroom. As the warm water touched his skin, he felt his tense lowered down. He washed his face several time, tried to remove all the dirt he has on his face. He slowly massaged his neck and shoulder once he cleaned it with the soap. The water washed all part of him, making him feeling refreshed and comfortable. The thought of his wife never left his mind, he kept thinking about her, thinking of the way to talk with her.   

Once he’s done taking a bath and walked inside their room on his bathrobe, he found Nana sitting in front of her vanity table, removed the makeup on her face. He noticed that she acknowledge his presence in the room, but still, no one talking. He walked to their walking closet, to change to a boxer and white t-shirt, his usual attire for sleep.

As he walked to the bed and opened the cover, he sat there and checked on his phone. She was still cleaning her face; he decided to wait until she’s done. Nana applied the night cream, which he knew was the last stage of her cleaning face ritual. And after that, she will come to their bed and maybe at that time, he could ask her to-

“I’m sleeping at Catherine’s room” she said, wearing her sleeping robe. She didn’t look at Kris’ face; she just quickly headed to the door.  

“Why?” he asked her, straightened his body on the bed.

She stopped walking and turned her back to him. “I think it’d be better for us not to stay together for a while” she said, looking to the ground. Her confidence earlier, to apologize and to talk with him, vanished in the thin air. She felt not ready at all.  

Kris frowned and stood up, walking to her. From her view, Kris looked very tall and she knew she felt intimidated even though she’s not that short compared to him. But still, his height and temper just made her feeling so low.

“Go to the bed” he said softly, contrary to what she imagined earlier. Of course, being pessimist, Nana thought he would just scold her and started to pick a fight with her. But he didn’t.

“I will” she answered, touched the door’s knob. But before she could open it, Kris placed his big hand over hers, preventing her to go out.

“In our bed” he said. There’s a feel of authority in his voice that left her speechless and slowly freed her grip from the knob. She followed his words and headed to the bed. She settled herself on the bed and without saying anything to him; she leaned on the headboard and covered herself with the blanket. Kris, at her side, did the same. She thought he’ll sleep, but then he just copied what she did. Nana looked at her right, found that Kris took a deep breath and looked down to the cover.

Here they are, laying on the same bed but not interacting at all, silently sitting together with their own thought. She played with her fingers as Kris messed up his lock, running his fingers back and forth on the short cut hair, but then he stopped and slowly, reached up for her fingers, touched it softly and covered it with his.  

“Do you… want to sleep already?” he asked her, still looking at the white blanket. Nana shook her head, whispered a soft ‘no’ to him.

“Are you up for some talk?” he asked again.  

“I’m not ready to argue with you now, Kris” she replied, holding on her tears. No, she should not cry at a time like this.  

He stopped his movement on her fingers and looked at her with a surprise look.

“Ho-how… Why you suddenly mentioned about fight? Did you think that I want to argue with you just now?” he sounded hurt and Nana was not failed to recognize the broken sound in his voice.

She faced him, meeting his deep gaze that she had been missing for the past two days.

“If you want to get angry with me, just do it. Scold me. Yell at me. But don’t act like there’s nothing wrong with us, Kris” she said, feeling all tired. “I know you’re angry with me, but why then you came to the launching party earlier? I appreciated your presence there, because to be honest, I might not survive red carpet without you there. I just want to break down and cry and see you and the kids but I still have my work and here we come again with me, you, the kids, versus the work! But I couldn’t help it! And now that you’re treating me good, I’m afraid you’re going to throw your tantrum or suddenly leaving me because you’re still angry with me but why you didn’t do anything?!” she furiously spoke out and stopped, taking a breath.

Kris blinked his eyes several times, surprised with her reaction.

“Who mentioned about fighting or wanting to leave you?” he said with a stern voice.

She shook her head. “You can’t tolerate me anymore right? I know I was wrong and couldn’t fulfill my promise to you about taking the family first before work, but I…I…” she couldn’t continue her words as tears started to flow on her cheek. Nana tried to wipe it off, but the tears kept flowing that she having a hard time to breath.

“Hey…” he softly whispered as he looked her breaking in front of him.

Kris moved closer to her and placed her head on his chest, wrapping her with his arm protectively covered her neck. “Don’t cry…” he said, soothing her. He could feel how her body shook after she opened up her real feeling to him.

“I’m sorry” Kris muttered as he tightened his hug over her. “I’m sorry I made you feel like this. I’m sorry for scolding you last night” he said again, placing his cheek over her temple, keeping her close.

“I’m the wrong one, Kris… I failed balancing my life and chose the work over you and the kids…” she managed to reply despite her unstoppable cries. “I’m sorry…” she said over and over again. Nana never knew how her heart could feel really hurt like someone grabbed and crushed it in one go. This is the first time she felt like this during her almost ten year marriage and to be honest, it hit her pretty hard.

Kris let her cried for another minutes. She couldn’t say anything and he didn’t say anything also. All Kris did was hugging her and her arms, calming her. There’re days like these also previously in their marriage, but never really like this. There’s a time when she felt like she couldn’t stand her pregnancy, or when he felt so tired with her scold over his habit. Their marriage was never really smooth but bearable, that even his ego sometimes screamed to just ditch her, it’s impossible. He loves her so much that he could put her before himself, and that’s not gonna change.

“It’s fine now, Nana. It’s fine…” he whispered to her. “I’m not angry to you anymore, ok? Don’t cry…” he said, wiped her tears from the corner of her eyes up to her cheeks. “Everyone made a mistake and things that happened earlier…well, we couldn’t help it. But it’s over now, it’s fine…” he said again, calming her as much as he could. “It’s fine ok, Baby?”

Minutes went to hour and after the huge wave of tears, Nana finally manages to sob a little. She stopped crying and wetted his shirt; leaning on his chest as she felt him squeezed her shoulder softly. Nana couldn’t be more thankful to have him on her side. Her husband indeed is the best guy she could ever get. She regretted nothing on having to encounter him in her life.   

“Kris” she called his name, after she felt that she could speak again.

“Yes?” he replied.

“I wonder… Why did you come to the event earlier? Aren’t you still angry with me?” she asked him, curious to know.

He cleared his throat. “It’s your dream, Nana. To have your own makeup store and finally launched a makeup brand, that’s your long life dream. And when you finally did it, I didn’t want to be anywhere else but by your side” he answered, smiling as he saw her pretty bare face. His smile, Nana recalled she hasn’t seen it in the past few days.  

Nana felt a warm feeling creped on her heart upon hearing his answer and she couldn’t hide her happiness that overflowed inside. She looked up at him, meeting his gaze and finally cupping both of his face. Lifting her body a bit, she placed a soft kiss on his luscious red lips. It wasn’t a lustful or passionate kiss; it’s just a warm kiss, the form of her gratitude over him. And Kris was more than willing to reply her kiss. When she pulled away from him, she smiled to him.

“Thank you, Kris” she said. He nodded and placed a kiss on her forehead. They spoke too much tonight. 

“Let’s sleep, shall we?” he said, earning a nod from his wife. Kris lying on the bed while Nana moved closer to him, placing her head on his chest. He kept her side protected, hugging her waist with his right hand while his left hand stayed on the side of her head. He covered their bodies under the blanket. Getting comfortable with each other, both of them drifted to the dreamland, escaping from the reality for a while. Their body were exhausted, their mind felt tired.  

It was sometimes around 3 in the morning when Nana found she still wrapped around his arm. She smiled to herself, feeling the warmth offered by him. Part of her feeling happy to see his sleeping face lied inches away from hers, part of it felt relieved that they're not fell into another argument, that they finally closed the deal. She snuggled closer to Kris sniffing his scent, the lovely scent she always love, as she closed her eyes again.

“I love you” she whispered to his chest, eyes closed.

“I love you more” he replied, tightening his hug on her.

They still had a time before the sunrise as the new day approached.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Hello.. it's been a while since I updated Come What May. I somehow really missed this story so I decided to update it. I made a closure of their argument. I hope this is not disappoint you all. 

So how do you think about this chapter?

 

Recently I've been spending my day in front of my tv and came across to one of my favorite movie adapted from Allison Pearson's novel, I Don't Know How She Does It. Now that I watched it again, I realized that my story have a similar problem, It's about a working mom who felt exhausted to take care everything, but the twist there is about the affair she did with her office mate. It's a pretty nice movie, got me inspired. 

Anyway, thanks for the support and the comments, love you all! :)

Loyal readers, new readers, and event silent reader, I appreaciate you all. Hope to interact more with you guys! 

 

xoxo,

yuriyaa