Blue Sky Collapse

Come What May

 

 

 

 
You see people are trying
To find their way back home
So I'll find my way to you
(Blue Sky Collapse - Adhitia Sofyan)

 

“Nana?” Kris called his wife once he stepped inside the apartment. The pretty brunette was seen sitting on the couch in the living room, smiling happily over her laptop. He called her again since she didn’t respond to his first call. “Hey, Honey?”

Nana turned her head to her left and found Kris stood with an examining look, giving her a questioning stare. “Oh, hi Kris!” she replied happily. Too happy, he thought. “You’re back” she added, smiling to him as she stood up.

“Hey, Honey. I’m home. Oh! Welcome home, Honey! Yes, thank you very much!” Kris replied, impersonating Nana’s usual response every time he came home. Half chuckled; he locked the door and went straight to where Nana stood. His wife only gave an apologetic look while pouting cutely. Even though she just on her short and loose shirt with no makeup and her messy braided hair, Kris found her looked really attractive. Oh well, newlywed syndrome.

“Sorry” she muttered, smiling sweetly to him. Still on his working attire – white shirt with dark tie loosened, suit held on his left hand – Kris couldn’t resist to not grab her waist softly and kissed her right on her lips.

Nana bit her lips once he moved away from her, looking at her with an affectionate eye. She still felt shy or blushing around him since they started to live together as a husband and wife. Unlike Kris who always openly kissed her or held her hand, Nana was more a sneaky type. If she thought it’s not too crowded, she might kiss his cheek or peck his lips. Once, being afraid to be seen in public, Nana pecked his lips too fast that she lost her balance and resulted in falling on the ground while taking Kris down. That day, she drew people attention more than she wanted.

“How’s your day?” she asked as she took his suit and hung it on the hanger while walking to the kitchen to take a glass of water for him. She learned it from her mother, that even though Kris usually take the water on his own, she felt like it’s her duty now to serve him as her husband. Kris, on the other side, enjoyed her attention although he didn’t push her to be a total housewife. 

Kris shrugged as he leaned on the couch. “Not much. It’s meeting all day. I did some job hand over also to my successor”

“They found your successor already?” Nana asked, giving him a glass of water. He nodded, gulping the water.

“He’s pretty smart, I think it won’t be long until he could understand the job I handled” he replied. “It’s around 2 months again before we moved to Hong Kong anyway. Someone needs to replace me”

Nana smiled over him. It’s a big step for Kris to leave his position in the head quarter, not to mention the global head quarter, which was a big and important. He’s going to be the director though in Hong Kong, even though the business was slightly smaller there. Still, Nana felt thankful that both of them can live together in the same place. They will start fresh in Hong Kong. Living together as husband and wife, filling each other’s every day.

“How’s your day?” he asked her in return.

“Well, pretty nice. I went to your mom’s place and made some lasagna for you; it’s her recipe, so you have to finish it no matter how bad it tasted” she rolled her eyes while pointing his chest playfully. Kris chuckled at her reaction.

He remembered how bad her cook was when they’re still dating, but he knew, she gradually getting better. When he visited her home in Seoul, she made him a kimchi stew that’s tasted pretty nice although she burnt her fingers due to the hot pot she accidentally touched as she frantically put the items to be boiled inside. Every time she’s in LA, she will be visiting his mother and learned to cook there. His mom informed him that although she mistaken microwave with the oven, she has the skill and the will to be the master chef, at least in her own kitchen. And he couldn’t be more proud than that, that the fashionable city woman Im Jinah is also a cook at home.   

“I have an empty stomach, so feed me” he responded. “What else did you do?”

“Hanging out with your father. He showed me your room for the zillion times and insisted that we should ‘spend a night there’ if we want to give him a successor for the Wu family name” she rolled her eyes, held her laugh.

Kris palmed his face. “God, what is wrong with my father? He rarely did that thing… He didn’t even talk to me when he caught me once watching back in junior high school. But now, he’s being so open to you, huh?”

“Side note, he wants five grandchildren. Can you imagine how crowded our home later on?”

Kris nodded and looked at her in the eye. “We can work on that”

“No way!” Nana playfully slapped his arm and smiled again.

“Is there anything else you did?”

“What?”

“You clearly have something but you don’t want to tell me before I ask you first. Did you do anything naughty behind me?” he suspiciously looked at her.

“What did I possibly do?” she chuckled over his words. “But you’re right. I have something to tell you…”

“See…” he happily feeling proud with his ability to ‘read’ her. “Go on” he said, ready to listen to her.

Nana held her hand and tried to hold on her excitement. She took her laptop and put it on her lap. “So…remember when I said that I offered a proposal to the makeup brand in Hong Kong to support my beauty salon?” Kris nodded in response.

“This is their reply…” she showed him the email and waiting excitedly, watching Kris’ reaction.

He read the email and found that the brand supported Nana’s beauty salon and offering a work together with her, a brand under her direction. It’s something big for her. Not only she’s supported with the product supply to her own beauty salon, she will also work on the new brand and owning the project, kill two birds with one stone. He looked at her with awe, smiling to her as he found her held her smile.

“What do you think of it?” she asked him.

“It’s great, Honey. It’s a big step for you” he said, touching her hand, intertwined it with his.

“We’re going to open the first store in Hong Kong, at the place that I chose previously. They will also support my beauty salon in Seoul. I mean… it’s really good! I’m so happy!” she said, giggling excitedly, tightening her grip on his fingers.

“Congratulation” he said, kissed her forehead softly. “I’m so happy and proud of you” he added, circled her shoulder with his long arms.  

Nana smiled to herself and already imagined a lot of things. She’s going to pursue her dream as a makeup artist and brand director. It seemed like her hard work years ago paid off and now it’s time to make the dreams come true.

“What do you have in mind?” he asked her, realizing that Nana was in her own world. She glanced at him, caressing his cheek softly.

“The store, the decoration, the new brand, the brand name, the marketing concept of it… Oh Kris, I can’t wait for it to be happened!” she said loudly, totally in euphoria.

“Patience, Darling” he commented. He knew how she really hoped to be a makeup artist. But to own a brand of makeup stuff must have been really her biggest desire.

“God must have been listened to my pray… I mean… I prayed for our marriage, for our career, and about my dream… I’m so happy right now, Kris…” she stared at him, her eyes almost teary.

His left hand caressed her hands while his right one went to rub her cheek, slightly touching the part under her left eye. “One by one, all the things you want will be come true… You just have to wait…” he said softly.

Being four years older than her, sometimes Kris needs to be the cool head on the relationship. She’s easily swayed with her feelings, while he wanted her to be firmer on her own choice and stick to it. It’s not easy though, because he loved her so much but he didn’t want to force her in this relationship, he wants her to be her. But isn’t it a husband to his wife, leading the way for them?

“I’ll be working hard, harder than ever” she said, more to herself.

“Proud of you” he said again to her, placing his head on her shoulder while hugging her waist, making her moving closer to him.

“Is it really okay for me to work like now?” she asked him, caressing his cheek with her left hand. Kris nuzzled his nose to her shoulder.

“As long as it’s not taking your time, I’m fine with that” he replied. “Plus we’re still young and there’re only the two of us…”

“I’ll be still work on this although I have a baby already. I want my kids to be proud of the things I do…” she looked around the room, imagining the house filled with kids, their kids.

“Surely they will. What a great mother they have” he said, smiling over her shoulder. “But later on, whenever you’re tired, Nana, remember that I’ll be here. You can always come to me” he added, glancing at her with a lovely gaze.

“I know I will be tired, since I have you and the kids and the work. But you’re all will be my number one, family first” she said as she placed her hands over his hands that’s wrapping her body around him. She smiled again, feeling happy with her own resolution. It’s silent for a while.

“Kris, are you sleeping?” she asked him, knocked his head softly with her chin.

“Unless you want to join me on creating the future kids of Kris and Nana Wu, I just want my bed…” he answered, half asleep. Nana laughed over his answer. She knew that even though he said that he’s not being busy today, he made quite a hectic walk. He had meetings in several places and surely, it tired him out.

“Take a bath first, you stink” she slapped his hand, awakened him. Of course it’s a lie, he’s not smelly. She never smelled him bad and even his natural scent was her personal favorite smell ever.

“If I’m stinking then why did you accept my kiss earlier?”

“Because you suddenly came and kissed me just like that”

“No. It’s because you like it. So you’re fine with my smell”

“Oh God, I will never win an argument with you!”

“That’s the point, Mrs. Wu!” 

Kris said as he stealthily kissed her cheek and later on, placing another kiss on the lips and after that, no one talked anymore. She’s busied responding to his kisses and touches, which in turn lead him to take her legs to his waist, bring her directly to their bed. Once he landed her on the bed and covered her body with his, they forgot everything else. Kisses on the neck and she lost in the feel as she ran her fingers through his blonde hair, calling his name with the every little logic left on her. Nothing else matter.

Deep down inside, Nana hoped that this happy time will never leave her family…

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Kris?” a quiet loud knock on the door awakened Kris from his thought.

“Oh. Yes, Alan” he responded, looking at his senior who walked inside his room.

“Drop by to give you the latest profile of our new clients. More flats and classic houses though, based on my quick scan over this” Alan gave a quite thick folder, placing it on Kris’ desk. He nodded, accepted the files. “Will you be joining a site visit this weekend?”

“This weekend?” Kris repeated Alan’s words. “I thought we’re clean on weekend?”

One of the reason Kris started his own business was because of the flexibility in time but no weekend. It’s his business, so he didn’t want it to be interfered with a schedule on weekend, the only time he could spend with his precious family.

“Something came up so it should be checked. No worry, I’ll just take care of it. Sara and the kids are in Macau, having a weekend with our relatives who visited there. I’ll be joining and taking 3 days off. Everything’s good?”

Kris nodded. “Ok” he replied a short answer, and that raised Alan’s suspicion higher.

“Not wanting to meddle, but just curious, is everything really ok?” Alan asked him.

“I’m good” Kris replied shortly.

Alan shook his head in disagree. “No, you’re no good” Alan answered.

Closing the door behind them, he took a seat in front of him. “Spill it. You’ve been wondering along the meeting this morning… I could tell you have something in your mind”

Knowing that Alan can be trusted for this kind of matter, Kris decided to let out everything. Ever since he had this argument with Nana last night, he couldn’t sleep well and kept thinking about her. He didn’t talk to her today; she’s still asleep when he found her on their room. And when he’s about to leave for the office, Nana hasn’t awakened yet.

Kris started the story with the things happened to Catherine and how he argued with her. As a father of three with a wife that used to work, Kris believed that Alan must have been facing similar problem with him.  He saw Alan’s face showing a kind smile.

“It’s normal though… Do you think it’s easy for Sara to leave her career as a professional lawyer in the law firm she had been working for years? I need to convince her hundred times that we can have a proper live only with me working” Alan responded.

“But that’s not my only concern…” Kris said, looking sad than ever.

“What else?” Alan asked feeling a bit confused with him.

“It’s Catherine. I mean… She looked really annoyed and didn’t even talk since yesterday. I’m afraid she’s angry to Nana. I know, the possibility is high for her to be angry to Nana but I want this matter to be cleared as soon as possible. I couldn’t let my daughter hating her mom…” Kris looked with a worry.

“You just need time and patience, Kris. Kids around Catherine’s age known for their impatience behavior. Nana might hurt her heart, but there’s always a way to make them understand...”  

Kris wished it would be that easy. What made him worried was Catherine’s reaction since yesterday. She couldn’t stop crying after he picked her up in school and this morning, as he drove her to her school, she didn’t even talk. Catherine was acting really obedient today. She followed all the things he and Miss Lo said, and not even once said ‘no’. She didn’t respond much to his question along the drive to school, and that worried him more than anything, especially her one and only question this morning.

 

“Daddy, does mommy hate me?”

Kris quickly turned his head to the back seat, checking on his little girl. She pouted her lips and played with her fingers, looking outside the window.

“Hey, what are you talking about?” Kris said softly, slowing down the car’s speed. Catherine didn’t answer him.

“Honey, are you still angry with mommy?” he asked her. No replied heard. “Catherine” he called her with a stern voice. “If your parents talking to you, what should you do?”

Knowing the change in her dad’s tune, Catherine looked at Kris and stopped pouting. Unlike her mom who could scold her if she made quite terrible mistakes or refused to follow what her mom said, her dad rarely angry towards her; so when he used quite a deep low voice to call her, Catherine aware that she should behave.

“Tell me, are you still feeling angry to mommy?” Kris repeated his question.

“Mommy didn’t keep her promise” she whispered, almost in tears again.

Kris noticed that she acted just like yesterday when he picked her up from school. It’s almost dark when he saw her sitting alone in the bench at the park in the school gate. It’s quite a sad view as he saw his once happy and sunny little girl, sulked on her seat with red face, holding her tears. Her eyes were still red this morning; he heard her sobbing last night, that’s why he hugged her until she slept on his lap.

“There’s a little mistake here. Mommy wanted to pick you up but she has something in the office, so I should be the one who went to your school…” Kris explained to Catherine, but as she stayed idle, he sighed and tried to speak with softer words. “Honey, listen. It’s not like mommy doing it in purpose; she’s just having something that she needs to take care of… She loves you. Have you heard she tells you that she hates you?”

Catherine fell in silence. “No”

“She loves you. I know it more than anyone in this world. Mommy really loves you and cares for you, Princess” he added.

Catherine pouted again, looking down to her fingers. The rest of the trip felt quiet than ever. Kris didn’t know what else to say to Catherine, while the little girl couldn’t hide her disappointment towards Nana. But he understood, especially after he heard from her teacher that she’s going to perform in the recital.

“I just want mommy to know that I’m going to be the Swan, Daddy”

 

Kris closed his eyes and massaged his nose slowly. He and Nana used to argue or fight pretty bad, especially during the start of their 4th year of marriage. Anything could be the issue at that time; the way he be a sleazy husband, or when she had to work on weekend, attending a lot of fashion show or any other fancy event. But the worst one was when Nana met his ex-girlfriend when they accidentally met in LA. That time, she’s just had Catherine and she’s having a post natal syndrome, that she’s being very sensitive. They fought pretty badly just because she thought that he would cheat on her. And that’s so weird, because the hormones added; making everything looked bad in front of her eyes. But never had he felt really angry towards her, unlike now.

This was the first time he felt like this and he truly feeling lost. He didn’t know what to do. This morning when he left her right after placing her on the bed, he watched her sleeping state. He wiped the tears on her eyes and softly touched her fingers. He loves her more than anything in this world, he did everything for her, including allowing her to work on her biggest dream. But the truth was, it eating up their family. She worked more than she should be. It wasn't about her work that he's been worried about, it's her time for the family, for herself. He really wished she would come to him and tell him that she’s tired. That’d be enough, he'll be just there and caught her. 

“Hey Kris” Alan called him again. After he discussed with Alan, the older guy went out for a quick call, and now, knocking on his door once again. “Lunch?”

Kris nodded, stood up as he brought his car key, slip it on his pocket. He left the suit on the hanger in his room, went out with his blue shirt and black pants, rolling his sleeve up to the elbow.

“Do you have any schedule tonight?” Alan asked as they walked to the elevator.

“Why?”

“Andy, my friend, opened up a new law firm and he invited us for an opening party. Care to join?” Alan asked, looking at Kris who was watching on his phone. “It won’t be long, just a welcoming party. We might as well have some drink and chat. It’s at 8 tonight, let me know if you want to join me, ok?”

There’s a pause between his words exchanged with Kris.

“Let’s see” Kris replied shortly, putting his phone to the pocket.

The screen beeped once and flashed an invitation reminder.

 

Belle Club, the Launching Event.

Tonight. 8 PM sharp.

Attend / Dismiss?

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Ma’am, please look above” the makeup artist said as she softly applied the eyeliner for Nana’s eyes. Her makeup wasn’t done yet, but she already looked great with several compliments from the makeup artist.

“You had such a beautiful skin” “You don’t look like a 36 year old woman” “I don’t think pimple ever wanted to live in your face”

Nana had enough of this. She just smiled a little, but not once replied to the compliments. She had a lot of thought in her mind currently; she didn’t even care that her dress was somehow looked too big on her while previously it seemed fine. She looked blankly on the mirror.

What the hell was she doing here? Shouldn’t she cancel the event tonight? It wasn’t the first time since this morning that she felt a huge need to cancel the things that she had been prepared the past 6 months of hard work. She’s alone. She has no one and what would she be doing here? How can she be happy with the work resulted with sweat and tears when she could only enjoyed it all by herself?

Tonight, her very own brand will be launched and she thought that her dream will be come true. At least, she still felt like that, until yesterday happened. To be honest, her body felt really tired and exhausted since she slept in sitting position all night. She lost all her will to wake up right when she opened her eyes this morning.

Not remembered when she moved to the bed and changed into a night gown of her instead of her working suit, she groaned as she realized how her back felt hurt. The low buzz of the dust cleaner alarmed her that she’s on their home and it’d be better if she could speak to Catherine at this time. The baby girl stayed on her memory, but all she found was an empty room.

“Ma’am, Mister Wu said that Miss Catherine and baby Alden would be sent to Mrs. Wu Senior’s house. Baby Alden already staying there, I’ll be following right after cleaning up the house” Miss Lo said politely.

It’s his grandma house. Nana closed her eyes, half annoyed.

“Where’s Kris?”

“Already sending Miss Cathy to school, followed by dropping Alden to his grandmother house, Ma’am”

At that time, she already prepared to make a phone call to just cancel the brand launching. Her family was on a verge of breaking and she just wanted to do everything to save it. But of course, things didn’t do only on her way; she still has to respect the other crew that had been prepared for this event. So she let things out and pretended like there’s nothing happened, even though she’s close to breaking. She just wanted tonight to be over quickly, so she could go back to him and the kids. All of this things, it didn’t really matter anymore for her.

And here she was. In front of a mirror for the upcoming launching event, Nana had her makeup done. She ditched the y backless black dress that her stylist chose for her. She decided to channel a simple peach colored dress with an old cut, a very nice summer dress for a night occasion, paired with pretty soft pink heels. She didn’t do much with her hair; she let it fall on one side with a beautiful wave at the end of her long brunette hair. She’s ready for her red carpet experience.

Right after she’s done with the makeup, she took a car to the launching event. Inside the car once again she fell in a deep thought. She checked on the phone several times, but other than tons of messages from her friends and colleagues congratulating and wishing for her success, she didn’t get any text from her husband, the one that she missed the most.  It’s kind of hard to fake a smile when you’re not feeling it and that’s what exactly happened to her. Her assistant reminded her zillion times to smile, but again, she failed it. Nora even had to nudge her elbow when she saw Nana just sitting idly with blank look, frozen as she lost in her own thought when the car stopped already at the venue.

Taking a deep breath, Nana stepped out from the car and slowly took a step to the red carpet. The MC announced her arrival and she couldn’t avoid the paparazzi that’s lining right on the red carpet area, waiting for her. She took a step one by one before posing at the center of the red carpet area. Every steps she took felt so hard and she barely could feel her legs on the ground.

She imagined walking in here accompanied with Kris and Catherine, or maybe baby Alden if he’s behave. She would love to answer any question from the paparazzi about her family, her career, her brand, everything. But she had no one on her hand and it felt so damn awkward, especially when the camera kept flashing on her and somehow all of them asking similar question, asking the presence of Kris who was never absent to accompany her to every events she attended.

Nana felt so lost and her head started to feel dizzy. She couldn’t handle the camera flashes and those sounds of the people around her suddenly felt like bee buzz. At some point, she could only stop walking and stood there in silence. She really hates the feeling, but her head really wish that he’s here, accompanied her.

Kris.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

 

Finally I managed to write this chapter. Probably I’ll have to recheck the grammar again.

This chapter was inspired by this song, Blue Sky Collapse by Adhitia Sofyan. I wrote the story already and having a thought of it, then I listened to this song and then… it fit exactly the way the story flow. So, I’m taking the chapter title from the song’s name. Lately I'm so into him and waiting for his 3rd album, so please bear with my liking with him. He's Indonesian indie singer. He's really talented and I love most of his songs. Please do listen to him also if you like it. His songs mostly are in english, so people outside Indonesia can enjoyed it also :)

I put some flash back of Kris and Nana's live earlier when they're still a newlywed. I hope you didn't get confused reading on it, people. What do you wish of this couple to end with? This chapter supposed to be followed directly with the chapter 5, but what to do, I have not done it yet. So while waiting for it, please enjoy Chapter 4 and let me know your thought on it :) Is it too much drama or enough or... what? Tell me! Hehe

I’m so happy to gain new readers that’s quickly read Lost in Translation and followed to this story. Really appreciate you all guys. And to those who messaged me, thank you for the support also. Glad to talk with you all :)

 

xoxo