Chapter 8

Someone other than me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 8: Why does it have to be you?

She couldn’t believe her ears though. Why would they do that here in Sangdokchi? For just that simple mistake, a lieutenant or a prince was immediately accused of an almost murder that Yoona did not even remember. Kibum could not do that, and so she had to for that person, she had to defend him a little while in front of her in-laws, appeal that she was definitely all right and Kibum could not hurt a fly.

“How odd it is, don’t you think?” Changmin then spitted out in the middle of their discussion. They were in the King’s study, with Changmin, another man who was assigned to interview Kibum, Yoona and Seohyun also. The sisters sat next to each other, with Yoona just holding her hand.

Kibum as sluggishly as he could expose it, say in the middle of the semi-circle form and was just waiting to get it over it---a little complacent that Yoona was around now.

“It’s odd that Yoona claims you as a prince while you told me you were a lieutenant,” he further emphasized.

Yoona nodded also, rather more sweetly than the man did and noticing this at once, Changmin made that sour look. “So...what are you exactly? Who are you exactly? ”

Kibum chuckled heartily. “I am both. And as royal leaders in the making, don’t tell me you haven’t studied the historical monarchy of our whole nation. Not just your individual kingdoms! Do you know King Jinsu of Dongsook? Do you remember him?”

As if it was a contest of getting who was the better at constitutional leaders, Changmin and Yoona raised both of their hands, voice interrupted by each other upon realizing that they were both like stray cats racing for the empty trash can.

He cleared his throat in defeat, Yoona smiling. “Yes of course! He was the former King of Dongsook who has given up his position to the new King Taehyun. His last reign was four years ago. Upon King Taehyun’s reign, the war began because he insists on power of all the nations.”

Kibum agreed at once. “Yes. So then, you do know me.”

Changmin eyed him bitterly. “I’m sorry but just cut to the chase.”

Yoona clapped both of her hands together, standing up in shock when a memory hits her. “Ah! Yes! Yes, now I do know you! You’re King Jinsu’s only son! You are a prince like you said. I remember you exactly now, back when I was younger. King Jinsu had made us sit together in the courtyard one fine morning when he and my parents dined.”

“But what makes you a lieutenant?” Prince Changmin still didn’t give up.

“Four years ago, my father was dethroned by a slowly rising tyrant. He took over Dongsook and slowly forcing all men at the age of 16 to be soldiers for a war he is preparing. He’s target? The whole nation. I wasn’t even an exception. He has put my father to prison and I was weak so he also sent me to train and be a soldier. Now that I’m nearing twenty-one, I have become a second lieutenant. My commandant has died in battle and I had run away as much as I could until the King of Sangdokchi saw me and then invited me over for the celebration. I guess he still remembers me.”

“Oh dear...” Yoona mumbled, a hand over .

“I don’t have a place to go to be honest,” he revealed, gaining much of the sisters’ sympathy. “I have always stayed with my captain and now that he has perished I believe I have no one.”

“Your family?”

“Only my father King Jinsu is alive,” Kibum said. “That’s why I travelled south in hopes that people could help me keep him alive. I have to get the throne back. I am the rightful heir.”

Yoona bobbed her head childishly. “Indeed! That was pretty unfair.”

“Call me skeptic, but I really could not accept what this man is saying,” Changmin doubted at once, shaking his head in qualm at the thoughts.

“You’re being skeptical, Prince Changmin,” Seohyun said it herself, grinning.

“You can stay here for the mean time,” Yoona suggested, getting a shocked expression from her husband. “Until the war that is, and until it’s safe for you to go back to Dongsook, until we’ve defeated Dongsook in the war.”

Kibum nearly laughed. “Omo, please...your kindness flatters me your majesty. I just can’t...”

“I also think that you deserve to stay in the palace for the meantime,” Changmin agreed, getting long stares from the Byungmi princesses. Well, look who turned out joining the team in the end, Yoona wondered clapping both of her hands. “We will have our servants to help you. I will also inform my parents about this hasty decision my lovely wife did, and see to it that you would be well here. I hope that it’s not anymore a problem?”

“Please your majesty,” Kibum almost sounded like he was begging them. “Your highness I just couldn’t...couldn’t accept such great hospitality.”

The princess stood up and looked at Kibum. “Yah! You’re staying and that’s an order from me.”

Changmin rolled his eyes while she played with her power. She had no idea how pathetic she looked right now, driving herself to force someone who wasn’t even her subjects, who was previously a prince but not degraded to a lieutenant.

“Then it’s settled!” she said, gazing at herself. She was still in her nightgown. “If you young gentlemen excuse her majesty for she needs to change into proper clothes first.”

Kibum was ahead of her, escorted by the interrogator and a few of Changmin’s personal assistants to help me him around the palace. Following them to the door, Yoona was stopped with Changmin’s irksome shoe-tapping. She turned and it made him smile. Innocent pet, now Yoona thought. She was his little pet, now wasn’t she?

“Don’t be too long,” Changmin started also getting up after a few exchange of whispers with one of his men watching over Kibum. “Yoona, be with the stallions afterwards, understand? Your horse needs tending.”

She stopped in surprise, turning to Changmin. “I...I have a horse?”

He nodded nonchalantly, crossing his arms. “Gifts from the Queen of Sangdokchi herself for our wedding. Why in the world did we leave you clothes in the bedroom so you can wear on riding her? Plus, our blacksmith is coming to hand both you and Seohyun your own swords.”

Seohyun raised her hand. “Then I would wait for the blacksmith in the archery, correct? You’ve told me earlier what to do.”

Changmin smiled at her. Seohyun was such a much easier woman to handle than Yoona, very obedient and quiet---unlike his wife who refused whatever he asks of her.

“Thank you for being such a darling, Seohyun-ah,” Changmin stated, eyeing his wife Yoona if there was any pang of envy. “I wish you were the one I married.”

By those words, Yoona twisted her lips and rolled her eyes, closing the door behind her rather harshly than she usually would. Seohyun understood perfectly what that meant, the intonation of his voice and Yoona’s harassment on the door. The younger princess giggled brightly, covering in surprise.

Changmin smirked. “Does that mean she was jealous somehow?”

“Forgive unnie, your highness,” Seohyun answered him. “She really is jealous of me more often than not because I’m always favored. It’s best that you don’t irritate her more about that idea. You’re the first man who my unnie kissed, who my unnie slept with, who my unnie would eventually grow old with. Please bear with her, Changmin-oppa. She really is a nice person.”

He shook his head with a grin. “No, Seohyun-ah. Nice refers to you. Evil, vain, and irrational is Yoona. That’s why most people like you.”

-_-_-_-

“Uncle, we would be heading to the docks now,” Kyuhyun bowed his head as a form of permission. Nichkhun was already outside in his boots, staring at the bright sun above in total appreciation. In this southern part of Sangdokchi, a little closer to the ocean, his family did not exactly grow hungry like the other classes in his town, nor did they cower and wait for blessings in the wind. But he, Kyuhyun, and Victoria knew what it felt to be with slum kids and be slum kids in the sense, and despite the wrong impressions of other people, it was enjoyable, running and running, making noises, stealing food for the poor---Robin Hood style that is.

“Yah, Kyuhyun-sshi,” Khun called. “Qian’s waiting at the port by now. We should go.”

“Coming,” he said from inside, putting on his shoes. Before another sound, his uncle was in front of him, scaring him that he stopped tying his laces and just stared. “Yes, uncle?”

The ahjusshi handed him two swords still in their sheaths. “You’re not going to the dockyard today, Kyuhyun-sshi.” After saying this, the older man sunk down into one of the seats, rubbing his back in worry. Kyuhyun took the swords anyway, watching his ankle sigh in pain.

“Aigoo, I can’t do the delivery today boy,” the old man said. “Can you do it for me? It’s due in an hour so you better hurry. They’ll be paying a very big price.”

Kyuhyun nodded obediently. “Okay. Where to, uncle?”

“The palace.”

“The palace?” he choked at the words, mockingly and surprisingly.

“No dilly-dallying, Kyuhyun-sshi,” commanded his uncle with Kyuhyun smirking.

“But I have to get to work today, too,” Kyuhyun excused, even when he badly wanted to go to the palace at a time like this.

His uncle shook his head. “Forget work just for today. The palace is dire need of seeing me to pass on the swords. Get on with it.”

“But uncle---”

“You will get half the money they will

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter