Chapter 1

Someone other than me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 1: “The pasty starlight, the black shadowsseparates us”

-_-_-_-

“It is a sworn duty, an unwritten rule, to do what was right for your kingdom, for your family, for all the ones you love, even when it is against your own will for others depend on that decision, believe in your decision to make the right choice, be it a sacrifice or a gain.”

It had been eighteen years since the young prince disappeared, and of course, ever since then, he was never forgotten by his people. They all remembered him. She remembered him, that night he was ‘stolen’ and she just stood there, watching him being taken away from her, from her family--forever gone and lost.

From her bed, she could only stare outside of the window, and she felt like her mind was wandering too far again. How could she think of her lost brother at a time as critical as this?

Sangdokchi had always been a kingdom---a town she had wanted to visit since she was very young. It was the closest village to theirs, the one where they trade off their products with the others. There was the sea there, the whole ocean at your toes, its waves whispering you to jump and be free. Its port was filled with large ships, vessels she had longed to ride. This was the ultimate chance of a lifetime, her people would benefit from this as well.

Following of course, the conditions her father and their leader made through an unbreakable deal of friendship. This was not freedom, for she was still chained to her village---chained to her line of duty as the princess of Byungmi.

“Unnie! Unnie!” a continuous knock, an excited one, drummed on her door. She could hear stomping from the door, hurriedly knocking and calling out her name.

Quickly, just like the thought of her brother, she wiped the waters from her eyes, clearing while letting out the last of her sniffs. “Come in, Seohyun-ah.”

Her younger sister, back then still unaware of her oppa’s existence, entered her chambers. Her pastel cardigan and high-cut boots plus a bow and arrow strapped behind her back gave an impression that Seohyun had been in the archery once again. Her assumptions were right.

“Yoona-unnie,” she smiled in glee. “I managed to hit it! I managed to hit it today. Yuri-unnie said so. She said I hit it and everyone else in the garden started cheering. It was amazing.”

She placed a hand over her sister, herself nodding for being proud. “You’re an amazing archer.”

Her smile lowly faded. “You’re just saying that because I couldn’t see, aren’t you?”

“That’s not true,” Yoona’s heart shattered upon hearing her talk like that. She was born during the time of depression, the time when everyone was still grieving of the lost of the prince, the male heir of this nation. It was then that the late queen had trouble giving birth to her. Seohyun was not born blind, but as she grow old, exactly at the age of 10, her sense of sight weakened, so every now and then she would be accompanied by her nurses in case she hurt herself on her own.

“You just started practicing a week ago and now you’ve hit it,” the unnie hugged her, holding her face. “Oh, don’t be like that. You’ll be able to see. Unnie will do whatever it takes to get it back your eyes. Just...trust unnie. You have to trust me, okay?”

She slowly pushed Yoona away in surprise. “How? Unnie, it’s time to give up with that plan. You’re getting married and---”

Annoyed for opening that subject, Yoona’s hand fell on her sister’s mouth, keeping her quiet at once. She glared at Seohyun, who felt how furious the other princess was with this.

“You’ve been crying, haven’t you?” Seohyun guessed, Yoona’s hand slowly falling to her lap as she sighed heavily.

She shook her head, eyes back to the outside world, the blue skies calling her attention. “I shouldn’t hate it, really. It’s already February this morning. I would turn 20 in a few months, and everything is already in a rush. But in a few weeks time, I would...I would no longer see you, Seohyun-ah.”

The dongsaeng embraced the other girl, a small giggle escaping her lips. “Aish, I will always visit you. After the wedding, the king had granted me to live with you in their palace for a month. Everything will turn out fine.”

“It’s because of the war,” Yoona suddenly countered, standing up and hiding behind her lacey bed curtains. “This is the reason why there will be a marriage in the first place. They’re preparing for the war against Dongsook, Seohyun. They’re using us, using both Changmin-sshi and me. Sangdokchi is famous for its weaponry and well-trained men. Byungmi won’t stand a chance if we don’t hold alliance with them. Their king agreed if only I was to marry his first son.”

“But you and Changmin-oppa are friends, right? So, it would be an easy marriage, not a big deal,” Seohyun said, encouraging.

Yoona sneered. “We’re not friends. We only know each other by face and by name but we don’t talk to each other.” She sighed first, ego hurting. “You marry someone if you love them, not because you are just another toy to be given up by the owner.”

“It’s for our kingdom,” Seohyun held her shoulder, still convincing her. “You have to marry him.”

“I’m marrying him for you, Seohyun,” Yoona had various purposes, too. “I will go to Sangdokchi to look for a certain sorcerer. He’s bound to have a spell to give your sight back.”

“I’ve read they have loads of those there, although in hiding,” the other princess stated. “How are we going to look for them if we aren’t even familiar of the streets? And we will never be permitted to take strolls around the village without being guarded. Unnie...please, you don’t have to go all through that trouble.”

“And what?” Yoona snapped at her. “See you suffer like this? You need to see the world. You need your eyes. I will get them back for you. It’s not going to be easy but you...” she suddenly remembered the prince, her younger brother. “You are the next queen of Byungmi. How will you protect them if you could not see a single thing, huh?”

“I have my ways!” Seohyun repaid with a loud yet respectful reply. “I can work it out! Yet you must not fuss over me, over little things. Your throne in Sangdokchi waits you so please...don’t worry about me. Don’t worry about us, just understand that you are marrying Changmin-oppa for everyone in Byugnmi. They are lending us their men, to help us, take care of us because Dongsook would soon send out their own troops.”

“We have our destinies,” Yoona left it as that, fists balled and eyes already teary. “And I know you will have your eyes back. I will not back down from this marriage. I promise to get back your eyes.”

Seohyun smiled, hastily holding out her silver necklace with a ring hanging loosely on it. Yoona giggled cautiously, then nearing her sister as she also held out her own necklace, an identical ring dangling from her neck. Under the ring were their names embedded, with the traditional Chinese characters of Byungmi.

“Oh! I almost forgot!” Seohyun said, slapping her forehead when the memory appeared. “Father said we would be having dinner with him.”

“With who? With the King? We always have dinner together,” Yoona asked, her back turned as she head for the windows again.

“Excluding father,” Seohyun replied, picking up her bow and standing up. “The two of us with Prince Changmin.”

 -_-_-_-

It glittered, she noticed. Had it always been shimmering? It must be because the sun entered his room, and maybe because it was made out of sheer real silver. She really couldn’t make out why her attention fell on it just now when she had seen him wear it all the time. She continued watching it. Slowly, she found her nifty hands on the ring, its beholder, waking up with wide eyes---drowse still present.

“Yah!” He recognized the girl, shocked to see her barging into his room again. “What are you doing here?”

Uncontrollably now with her eyes set on him, she started laughing, letting go of the necklace and pulling his covers to hide herself, pretending to be afraid of the man she had provoked. Her giggles were unbearably adorable, unstoppable that the person next to her sat upright, shaking his head in irritation. He took his pillow, beat her with it endlessly until the woman moved out of his mat, holding her hands out in defeat, laughing still.

“Okay! Okay! I give up!” she complained, the man also laughing when she started coughing from all the suffocation he had done to her. “You win, Kyuhyun-oppa. You win.”

He picked up his holster, the one he carried around, and showed off his the sword hidden in it. The girl shook her head quickly, repressing her giggles when he approached her.

“Yah! You will be thrown to prison if you kill me!” she told him and he laughed, shrugging. He placed the sword back its case, tossing it to his mat as though it was as light as a feather.

He smirked at her somewhat terrified face. “Fooled you, didn’t I?”

She crossed her arms, one eyebrow rose as she rolled her eyes. “I wasn’t.”

“Shouldn’t you be at the dock, waiting for those fish friends to arrive?” Kyuhyun remarked, going to his trunk to change clothes. “I can’t believe it’s already morning. Why didn’t you wake me up earlier, Victoria?”

She smiled, sitting on the floor. “Because I like you sleeping.”

He imitated the way she said it; eyes squinted back at her. “I will never doubt if your mother tells me you’re actually the daughter of an evil warlock. You did that on purpose so that hyung would scold me.”

“Well, I would be scolded too but I’m a girl,” she teased. “I get more privileges to be tardy.”

He waved his hand lazily. “Wait for me outside. I’ll change first.”

“Aigoo, oppa is all grown up that he can’t change in front of a girl now,” she ragged, getting up with a cackle.

“I’m turning 18 soon,” Kyuhyun retorted, starting to take off his shirt. “Close your eyes then, if you aren’t going to leave, Qian.”

She covered her eyes, moving out of his room in protest. “He doesn’t even have much of a body in the first place. Why hide it.”

He heard this comment, smugly now changing into his working clothes. They were a bit worn out, tattered shirt but it was still an okay use for the mean time. If he earned much, he could change into something better, and maybe even buy his good old uncle some knew materials for working. He could have their workshop repaired as soon as he gets his pay for the week. A few won here and there, various jobs---it always gave him the understanding that he had to work to survive life.

He looked at a piece of broken mirror, himself looking as skinny as before. He gazed at his chest, the ring’s reflection dazzling like the real image. He held it in his palms for a minute. His best friend, the girl who kept on coming back even when not wanted, was Chinese in origin, and she could understand and read it.

Byungmi. He had never been to Byungmi but he had heard of it in his fathers’ stories, his mother’s ideals...his family came from Byungmi, really. He was born in that kingdom, and he did once consider visiting it, both him and his cousi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter