The day we had dinner

Teach Me What True Love Feels Like

His house was neat, but mostly because there wasn’t much in it. 

 
He had a small white couch that faced the window, a small television in the kitchen, and a table with several chairs. 
 
Of course I didn’t know what was in his bedroom. 
 
The room was quite cold, but for some reason as soon as he walked in everything lit up. 
And not just because he the lights. 
 
His kitchen was warm though, warm and filled with the scent of italian spices. 
 
“Pasta?” I asked as I sat down in the chair he motioned to. 
 
He seemed to dance around that small kitchen, pulling bowls from here and there, cups from there and here, and utensils from everywhere. 
 
Before I knew it he had set two bowls down in front of me and sat down in the chair across. 
 
Grinning widely he motioned to the food. 
“Pasta..” 
 
I smiled back, and picked up a fork. 
 
He pressed a button on a small remote he had set down at the table with us and the sweet sound of that music that had lightly fragranced the air last night pulsed through it again.
 
“You like classical music?” I asked between a bite. 
 
“I love it.” he said, closing his eyes lightly for a moment. 
“The notes. They always make sense. It’s like math for music.” 
 
I must have made a face, showing my dislike for arithmetic, because he laughed and it startled me. 
 
His laugh, although it’s cliche to say, was like the sound of a heartbeat. 
Life giving, rhythmic, and almost entrancing to listen to.
 
“Is it good?” he asked, breaking my stupor. 
“Excellent.” I replied, picking up the glass of water he had placed next to me. 
 
“I’m glad you like it.” he said, revealing his teeth in another flashing smile. 
 
Tearing my eyes away from his face I looked around. 
“Why do you have your couch facing the window?” I asked him. 
 
“I sometimes find whats outside my window to be more interesting that what’s on the television. Especially with those beautiful trees right outside. I bet I could climb on to one from the balcony.” he said with a magic tone in his voice, as if he was speaking of a faerie land far away that he had once seen. 
 
“You can!” I blurted, dropping my fork in surprise at my own outburst. 
 
He only smiled and looked at me sideways. 
“Have you tried?” 
 
I focused on the bowl. “Sometimes in summer it’s too hot to keep indoors so I’ll sit there for a few hours.”
 
“Maybe one day I could have the honour of joining you.” he said, turning back to his food. 
 
“I would like that.” 
and the thought of spending a warm summer night in that showering tree with this young man made my heart jump. 
 
Spending a warm summer in the same apartment as this young man made my heart jump. 
 
I smiled in to my food, but he smiled back.