The day I woke up excited.

Teach Me What True Love Feels Like

I woke up the next day excited. 

I didn’t know why.
 
Well. 
Truthfully I did. But I didn’t know why I did. 
 
I was excited because a boy named Byun Baekhyun lived next door. 
But I didn’t know why the boy named Byun Baekhyun made me excited. 
 
I walked out on to my porch and breathed in the fresh air. 
6AM, I would have to go to work soon, but for now, I enjoyed the quietness. 
 
There was a bang from next door, followed by a “Oh no!” and the sound of scuffing. 
 
I stood there wondering what had happened, when the door from the porch next door opened and closed, and a slightly chubby, very very fluffy, cat jumped on to the railing and stared at me intently. 
 
I stared back. 
 
He kept my eye contact while lifting a paw to his little mouth and it clean. 
 
I glanced at the time and went back inside. 
6:13. It was time to get ready for work. 
 
 
The day was an uneventful one, the same costumers came in and ordered their usual, and I would give it to them, smiling away. 
 
The repetition of my life calmed me. 
My friends would say “But Tae Jin! You’re young! You should be out, making trouble, and having adventures!” 
I would smile and laugh politely, but I really didn’t think making trouble and having adventures were for me, to be quite frank. 
 
I had my own little adventures. 
Like meeting a cat on my balcony. 
Or meeting the owner of said cat in the lobby. 
 
He smiled at me when I walked through the doors, him holding his mail, and me my bag. 
 
“You always work this late?” he asked with an electric zing to his enthusiastic voice. 
“Most days, yes.” I answered. I waited for him to say something like “That’s much too long for a young woman to work! You should be out, getting in to trouble, and having adventures!” but he didn’t. 
 
“Have you eaten dinner?” he said. 
I was taken aback. “No, I haven’t.” I said carefully. 
I said most things carefully, when I said anything at all. 
“Would you care to join me? I made much too much for one person. I’m not used to living alone.”
 
I said yes. 
 
Why did I say yes? 
 
This was much too adventurous for me. 
And I liked it. 
 
Just exactly what effect did this boy have on me?!
 
I was eager to find out.