Black And White

Push And Pull

Sorry for being MIA on this story. It’s difficult trying to write two stories at once with two completely different tones. Anyways, hope you like this update and don’t be afraid to share your comments.

 

“Hey Taeng.”

“Hey Sunny, what’s up?”

“How was the tutoring session with Tiffany yesterday?”

 Geez, does he really have to bring that up this early? We just got to our seats and he’s already bugging me about the girl. Should I lie and tell her I was the best tutor ever and she’s going to be the next Albert Einsten? Sunny is the gullible type.

 On second thought, he would probably ask me to tutor him and I wouldn’t be able to cooperate with him. He would ask me endless questions and I might end up punching him.

 I’ll just go with the average answer.

“It was alright.”

“Really? I’m surprised…” He mumbled.

“What do you mean?”

“You actually had a conversation with her. Just the two of you. ALONE.”

“Tch. We didn’t have a conversation. I just tutored her. That’s it.”

“That is pretty much having a conversation.”

“Whatever.”

 I sometimes don’t understand how Sunny and I ended up becoming best friends. We’re complete opposites. But in the end, I’m glad I have a friend like him. I really can’t imagine life without him. He’s pretty much the best friend any guy could have.

 “Good morning Tiffany!”

And here comes my game changer to why I still question me and Sunny’s relationship.

 His freaking aegyo.

“Good morning Sunny.”

I hear her reply softly. I take a glance to Sunny, his goofy smile and the dreamy look in his eyes makes me want to slap him.

“Good morning Taeng.”

 I felt my body tense hearing Tiffany greet me. I slowly gaze at her and in an instant, we share eye contact again. I’m not sure why every time I look into those brown eyes I feel so warped and trapped.

 Is she a witch under disguise?

She sends me a small smile, I felt myself shiver seeing those lips curve up.

“Hey.”

 I quickly turn around and face the front of the class. I don’t need to have a conversation with her. It’s already bad enough I have to tutor her later today.

Crap, I forgot that Professor Kwon is going to ask Tiffany about my tutoring job yesterday. She’s going to snitch on me, I just know it. And then Professor Kwon is going to take out her hand gun and shoot me right in the heart. Now that I think about it, that doesn’t sound like a bad idea. I’ll be off this planet and away from my dad.

 Maybe I did the right thing.

 

 

“Okay class, we’ll be taking the chapter test in two weeks so study up! I’ll see you all tomorrow.”

Time flies when you’re napping in class. The only words I heard from Professor Kwon was something about an upcoming test. That means more time for sleeping since all she does is practice problems to help us on the test. I sling my backpack over my shoulder and start to head out the door.

“Taeng.”

 I let out a frustrated sigh and pivot around. I walk over to Professor Kwon’s desk and notice Tiffany was standing by her desk as well.

Might as well get this over with.

 “So Tiffany…”

Tiffany quickly averts her attention to Professor Kwon. “Yes?”

“How did it go yesterday? Was Taeng a good tutor? Or…” She gazes at me with the fiercest eyes, “Did he leave?” 

And of course she would assume that I left and in all fairness, she is correct.

 I sigh and gaze at Tiffany who was biting her bottom lip. I’m expecting her to tell the truth anytime now.

“It was good.”

 I felt my body jerk back hearing her answer.

Did she just lie?

I can tell Professor Kwon had the same reaction as me because her eyes were wide and her jaw was hanging loosely.

“Really?”

“Yes Professor Kwon. He stayed with me the entire time and he tutored me well.”

 I’m practically speechless. Why did she just lie? My eyes ended up glued on her the entire time she answered Professor Kwon’s question.

Professor Kwon slowly nods her head, “I see… You’re not lying are you Ms. Hwang?”

 She calmly shakes her head, “No ma’am. I’m telling the truth.”

“Alright then…” She turns her head to me, “I don’t know what kind of game you’re playing Mr. Kim. I’m going to take Ms. Hwang’s word… For now. I’ll be checking in more often, you just got lucky for today.”

 I can’t even find the right words to say. My mind is still swamped with Tiffany’s lie.

“Well, you two should probably go now. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 Tiffany politely bows and smiles, “Annyeong Professor Kwon.”

She walks past me without even looking me in the eye and leaves the room. I felt as if my feet were glued to the floor. I just can’t believe it. Tiffany lied.

Why?

“Mr. Kim, are you going to stand in my room any longer?”

I snap out of my thoughts and shake my head.

“N-no. Bye.”

 I swivel around and exit the room. I felt like the wind was knocked out of me. I run a hand through my hair and take a deep breath.

What is going on with me?

 I stare at the halls of the university and scan from left to right. I wasn’t able to spot Tiffany.

Should I search for her?

My legs ended up walking towards the library. I enter through the doors and my guess was right, there she was sitting alone in the middle of the tables. I start to walk towards her and I immediately stop in my tracks.

Why should I bother talking to her? If anything I could just leave right now and Tiffany would just cover up for me again.

But at the same time… It’s killing me. The fact she lied for me. It bothers me to the point it won’t leave my head until I know the answer.

 I’ll just ask her and leave. I won’t bother tutoring her.

I slowly walk over to Tiffany and in a couple steps I was already in front of her table.

She sensed my presence and looks up from her book. “Oh Taeng.”

 “Why?”

She tilts her head to the side, “Excuse me?”

I gulp and take another breath, “Why did you lie?”

 Her eyes slightly widen but she doesn’t answer so quickly. Silence seeps in between us and I was starting to grow impatient. She bites her bottom lip before looking straight into my eyes.

“Because I wanted too.”

This time, it was my turn for my eyes to widen.

What a vague answer.

 “I don’t understand.”

She sighs, “I heard what Professor Kwon said, about failing you if you don’t tutor me and I don’t want that to happen. You deserve to graduate.”

 I was surprised to hear that response. She was doing it for my sake. We’re not even friends and she lied for me.

 I felt my heart beat speed up, it was beating like crazy. I realized that I was quiet for a long time because she went back to reading her book. I can’t explain this feeling that I’m experiencing. Hearing that Tiffany was doing it to help me made me feel… weird. I can’t put a label on it.

“Thanks…” I muttered.

Tiffany lifts her head up and gazes at me, “You’re welcome.”

She sends me a smile, the feeling in my chest grew lighter. I felt as if my heart was going to explode out of my chest.

I shake my head, ignoring the feeling and gaze at her, “So you’re probably expecting me to tutor you as my way of saying thanks huh?”

 She quickly shakes her head, “No. If you want to leave, you can. I’ll just tell Professor Kwon that you were here.”

Why is she being so nice to me? I don’t understand why she’s putting all this on herself. She lowers her head back into her books, leaving me with my open choices.

Stay?

Or leave?

 I usually don’t let guilt get the best of me. It makes me feel weak when I do. I stood there for countless minutes debating to myself while Tiffany…just remained studying.

 I restlessly sigh and end up taking a seat next to her. It surprised both me and her. Her eyes widen as I pull out the chair beside her and plop myself on it.

As she looks away I caught her smiling.

There goes my heart again.

 

 Silence enters between us as the minutes pass by. I ended up playing on my phone as she continues reading her book. I’m glad she’s actually not pestering me as much as I thought she would.

 I get an incoming call from Hayeon in the middle of my game, ending my streak.

I frown as I answer the phone, “Yah Hayeon… You ruined my high score…”

 “Sorry oppa… I was just calling to let you know that I’m going over to my friend’s house after school.”

“Who?” I asked sternly.

 It worries me whenever Hayeon is not in my reach even when I know she’s in safe hands. I just always get scared that dad is going to take her away.

 “Seohyun. We need to work on our project.”

 I sigh, “Alright… I’ll pick you up when you’re done. Call me when you’ve finished okay?”

“Okay oppa. See you soon!”

 She hangs up the call; I set my phone down on the table and close my eyes to take another deep breath. I feel a pair of eyes on me so I gaze to my right and see Tiffany staring at me with calm yet gentle eyes.

“Sorry, did you need my help?”

Why did I apologize? I didn’t do anything wrong.

She shakes her head, “No… Who were you talking too?”

“My younger sister.”

 In an instant her eyes sparkle, “You have a younger sister?”

 I nod and she squeals of happiness.

“What’s her name?”

“Hayeon.”

“That’s a pretty name! That’s really cool you have a younger sister.”

 I only nod again as my response.

 I have a feeling that Hayeon and Tiffany would get along well. From my speculation, Tiffany likes pink.

Scratch that, love is a better word.

Pink pencils, backpack, markers, even her notepad is pink. Hayeon would probably be jealous seeing that she has more pink stuff than her. Then again, I don’t think they’ll ever meet. I don’t plan on them meeting anyways.

“That would be cool if I got to meet her…” I hear her mumble softly.

I hope not. I don’t need another pink crazed fan in my life. I don’t respond to her and let silence seep in again. I’m glad she didn’t continue bombarding me with questions about Hayeon. It would have gotten to the point where I would lose my insanity.

“Well… I’m done with my math homework.” She stated after closing her book.

Not once did she ask for my help. I wasted hours sitting here killing the battery on my phone.

I sigh, “Why did I stay then? You could have told me that you didn’t need my help.”

She stands up after cleaning up her stuff and chuckles. She walks over to the other side of the table and smiles at me.

“I did in the beginning. You stayed on your own free will.”

My eyes widen in surprise. She was right, even after she opened the door for me to leave I ended up closing it and staying.

 “Tch…whatever.” I stand up from the chair and sling my backpack over my shoulders.

 “But thanks for staying… I really appreciate it.” She said softly with her smile.

 I felt my body tense up. My heart that once returned to its normal heart beat starts to erupt like crazy again.

 Just when I thought I was returning normal.

“Yeah…”

She chuckles and bows, “Hopefully you stay tomorrow Taeng. I might need your help by then.” She walks to the exit of the door and faces me again. “See you later Taeng.”

With that she exits the doors, leaving me glued to my spot.

I shake my head and touch my forehead. My heart was still beating crazy and this time, I felt heat rise to my cheeks. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I need to see a doctor about this. Maybe all the punches from dad is making me suffer from… weirdness.

 I gaze over to the table and notice that she left her pink notepad.

 “Tch… How forgetful.”

 I take the notepad in my grasp and shove it in my backpack. I exit the library and drive myself home. I didn’t have classes until night time so I might as well take a nap. I pull into my driveway and quickly head inside. I was relieved to see that dad wasn’t home. He’s probably out drinking or selling drugs again.

What an odd time to do all those things right?

I make my way upstairs and into my room. I haven’t been in it for so long because I always sleep in Hayeon’s room. I miss seeing my room instead of the usual pink… everything.

I immediately crash on the bed and the refreshing coolness of the pillow was just what I needed. I close my eyes and drift off into sleep.

But for some odd reason.

I found myself dreaming of Tiffany.