36

Love me again?

It’s been five days since the break up and Hyo Jung could barely function. She cooped herself in the room, refused to eat and cried all the time until her tears dried up. Fresh tears covered her tear stained face every night as she brood over their past and all the imaginations she once thought she would be able to fulfill with him. He was her faith, her hope, her courage, her happiness and her will to live but now that he was gone, she felt like an abyss of darkness swallowed her and tucked her deep in it’s arms. Her parents started to worry as she continued to reject all kind of food and liquid. They stopped her from going to school for the time being and considered putting her back through home schooling again. They were not to say beyond worried as they didn’t expect their daughter to have to go through such a tough ordeal all over again, they thought that this time she would be happy but they didn’t know what Kris said to her neither did they knew that it would turn out like this.

Kris on the other hand was a living dead. He went to work with a blank mind, face straight but spirit lost. He may have won the battle for his company but he lost his life to it. Was it what it took to take over the company? If so, he didn’t want it. He never wanted any of it. All these wealth, fame and stress. All he wanted was having Hyo Jung to comfort him when he was sad, hug him and soothe his anger and whisper ‘Everything’s going to be alright’ in his ears when he got stressed up. Every single day, it was proposals after proposals, meetings after meetings, Kris was functioning on nothing but a thin thread of hope that maybe he could get the company standing back on it’s feet then go back to Hyo Jung but he knew how small of a possibility there was.

“Kris?” his mom entered his office as he buried himself in work.
“Kris??” his mom tapped his desk to get his attention.
“Oh, mom. Is there anything that you need?” he asked. His eye bags were even more evident than before, eyes always swollen and face always puffy. She sighed inwardly before bringing up the topic.
“It’s time, Kris. We’ll have the meeting with them soon.” She said.
“Meeting? With who?” he asked.
“With your future-in-laws and the…girl.” she answered while he stared blankly at her before nodding his head.
“When and where? I’ll inform my secretary to make time for it.” His attention was back onto the paperwork in front of him as he tried to focus and hide his pain – It’s really over between Hyo Jung and I…
“Sorry darling, I promise you, she’s the one that you need and the one that you will want. She’s everything that you will ever want my son, I will not make you love someone whom you wouldn’t love.” She reached out for his hands but he retracted to pick up his pen and agreed to her in silence.
“It’s tomorrow; we’ll be having dinner together at our place. Come back by 7pm, alright?” she sighed before leaving the room.

Hyo Jung’s parents paced about outside her room as they wondered about her reaction to what they were about to say.
“You tell her.” Her mom pushed her dad towards the door.
“No, you tell her.”
“Honey, I can’t. I will break down when I see those tears. How… why did we agree to put her through such pain?” she started sobbing as the visual thought of her daughter’s tear stained and pale face appeared in her brain.
“She’ll be fine and ok, I’ll do it.”
“Jung? Daddy’s coming in.” he made his way in and saw her lying with her back facing him.
“Jung?? I have something to tell you.” She struggled to sit up while wiping her tears away.
“Ye-yeah.” She muttered while her father placed his hands on her face, cleaning the tears away. Sorry my daughter, I’m sorry.
“Jung, can daddy arrange for you to be in an arranged marriage? Can I do that to lessen your pain?” he continues to wipe away those tears as she cried even harder. It’s over, it’s really over.
“Marriage?” she whimpered as her tears wouldn’t stop.
“Yes, darling marriage.” He frowned as she kept crying.
“Ok.” She murmured before crying in her father’s arms.
“Hush now, you’ll be happy from now on. You’ve got daddy’s promise. Don’t cry anymore princess.”


Will they really be together or will fate (which is me, LOL) tear them apart?