Whereas, Jongin is grumpy and Sehun is stupid. Sekai shippers ask: is there something new with Sehun being stupid?

Maknae Line of Affection (Sekai Stories Collection)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

  

 

There's nothing really new,

with Sehun being stupid

Jongin is grumpy. Very, very, very grumpy. Sehun sometimes wonders if his best friend slash employer descended from grumpy dwarf himself. (though Sehun is sure a dwarf gene is highly unlikely since he doesn’t remember dwarfs being mystically beautiful)

Jongin isn’t usually that way. Jongin is cheerful, a little shy, but nonetheless, warm and affectionate –a warm brother Sehun looked up to. At the age of twenty-two, having their own little company and working for them seemed to change the boy altogether. His wide smiles turned into scary scowls, his soft voice became thundery ones, and Sehun couldn’t help but feel an empty space inside his heart void of the boy’s sunshine presence.

He has a plan.

Tick tock tick tock tick

Sehun clutches the bag on his hand. He looks over the clock.

Five, four, three, two… one…

Sehun bolts from his seat, his chair doing a back flip with the sudden force, the metals clanging on the floor beneath it. He runs from his office despite knowing his destination is just within the adjourning office which basically means running is pointless because a minute at most is the time needed to get there.

Sehun barges in the door without knocking. He never does and he probably never will. Jongin had long given up correcting the younger male about his manners which he finds out, to no surprise, that only surfaces in his company. He doesn’t really mind but is forced to mind to keep up an image.

“Jongin get those documents out of your desk. Now.” Sehun instructs, voice shrill with excitement. The older male gives the boy a once-over and huffed an intentional obvious outbreath.

“It’s Sir when we’re at work, or at least call me hyung,” he reminds for the nth time, particular statement probably slipped his mouth countless of times already. “At least pay some respect to your employer when you’re at work. What do you need my table for?”

“I thought you said you’re not that old.” Sehun answers, ignoring the last statement Jongin made. He clears the table himself, carefully placing the documents on the vacant chair beside the window.

“Well duh. Do you not remember the purpose of lunch break?” Sehun continues, horrified. Taking into account that Jongin’s eyebrows are connected once more, he places the lunch bag he was carefully carrying earlier and zips it open.

“I made lunch for you.” he states, his voice attempting to impress the exasperated male who looks very bored and irritated by his presence.

“Don’t kid me. You don’t even know how to cook.” Jongin counters, looking over the bunch of paper works now on the solitude of the vacated area just beside his window. He longs to be with his beloved manuscripts, thinking that maybe the papers miss him too.

“Time changes,”

“You burned those boiled eggs we were supposed to eat, how can you burn something –“

“That was six years ago,” Sehun grits, slamming a hand down the table to emphasize. “Time changes,”

“Right.” Jongin says, unconvinced, looking down at the container of assumed food. It doesn’t look appetizing but he bit his lower lip to trap the words inside his mouth. Sehun notices anyway.

“It tastes better than how it looks okay,” Sehun says defensively as he opens the lid of the plastic container to reveal an indefinite shaped stack of something yellowish on the right side, while the other side is too brownish, almost black, and on the center of it is a bit whitish, a moist of liquid looking out of place in the dry part of the whole thing.

“What is that?” Jongin asks in horror, his eyes narrowing to make out the thing the younger had just laid out in front of him.

“Had you not seen pancakes before? Duh. ” Sehun rolls his eyes and pricks the ‘pancakes’ using one of his fork to distribute the contents to his paper plate and the horrified male’s in front of him.

“I never saw pancakes like that okay.” Jongin continues to stare, thinking of million ways to relieve the impending stomach ache he’s guessing to stick to him later. “Who eats pancakes for lunch?”

“We,” Sehun starts, pulling another small container to reveal an almost melted butter and maple-colored syrup which is basically a maple. “are eating pancakes for lunch.”

Jongin wants to barf at the grimiest thought of how that sticky material will stick to his tongue, so he swallows hard and tries picturing the delicious taste and scent of the thin fried cake from International House of Pancakes. He almost believed it. Almost. Nut until Sehun nudged his hand with his fork and gives him that would you deny someone like me look.

Jongin frowns. There is this dejected frown fixed on the younger’s features and he can’t help but feel more sick with the thought of making the boy cry, than the thought of tasting his not so good looking pancakes. Sehun had always been a crybaby.

“You no like pancakes?” Sehun asks with his you poor little boy aegyo voice as he flutters his long eyelashes and stare at the copper-skin male with his most innocent eyes.

I don’t like your pancakes –Jongin thinks grimly but bites his tongue hard yet again to prison those words. The poor man then, albeit reluctantly, takes the fork from the employee’s delicate fingers and started slicing pieces from the part that looks the most edible, which to say, is not a lot.

“You have to put on some butter and maple syrup!” Sehun suddenly exclaims, taking 360° turn from his mopey demeanor which doesn’t surprise Jongin anymore. At all.

Without waiting for his reply, Sehun pours a handful of sweet liquid all over Jongin’s pancakes along with the soft yellow creamy spread that screams CALORIES! to him or something. Enthusiastic as ever, Sehun now forks the small part Jongin sliced (thank the heavenly bodies he only sliced a little) and soaked it in his newly made flavoring.

“Say aah~” Sehun croons as he holds up the fork where the little pancakes are holed into. Jongin stares for a good while, face contorting into horror because, “What the freak dude –oomph!”

The slice of ‘pancake’ was literally, with force, thrown into his mouth and he was left with two options of chewing or spitting the thing from his mouth. The latter choice is the most welcoming option to save his taste buds but automatically crossed out by his guilty conscience screeching ‘are you trying to make Sehun cry?! Now chew!’ which made him grimly oblige, looking over the younger boy staring with wide bright eyes at him expectantly.

Jongin closes his eyes to look as if he’s savoring the taste all the while trying to force his mind to think that this is pancakes from IHOP, fluffy, edible, soft with the rich taste of freshly picked eggs –

“Aaaaack!”  Jongin sputters, eyes flying open as his hand went up to his face cradling his right jaw with his left arm.

Sehun stands from his seat and were at Jongin’s side in a flash, alarmed. “What? What is it?” he asks in panic as he fetch a bottle of water located at the side of the lunch bag and uncaps it open to make the older boy drink from it.

“WHO IN THIS GODDAMN WORLD TOLD YOU THAT EGG SHELLS ARE NICE INGRIDIENTS IN MAKING PANCAKES?!” Jongin roars once he was able to gulp the water all down to calm his raging system. This is as calm as he can get.

“Wait, what –oh!” Sehun flushes in embarrassment. “I broke the first egg into the flour I made and…” he looks down to his feet, shifting his weight from foot to foot, a gesture Jongin only knows as shame.

He doesn’t give two s about shame as of the moment. Because he, not only tasted the most horrendous pancake in the world but also, the most inedible food ever existed on earth. The pancake tastes of burnt flour and uneven sugar, and made worse by the butter that tastes mold along with the syrup.

“You. are. never. making. food. ever. again. Do you understand?” Jongin thunders, hand still soothing the pain the eggshells made by slipping between the gaps of his teeth.

“I –“ Sehun starts to reason but one glare from Jongin made him retreat and instead,  answers, “Yes.” meekly.

“Now go back to your office and do something productive that I’m paying you for!” Jongin once again snaps and it was a clear cue for Sehun to sprint from his boss’ room to retreat to the safety of his office, leaving his mess to the ever grumpy Jongin to clean up.

Said man heaves a deep breath to calm his nerves and starts to tidy his table up. He picks the lunch bag from the floor and clicks every container shut to make it retreat into the solace of its home, hoping never to see the light again.

Sehun, on the other hand, nibbled on his fingers chanting words oh god oh god what have I done I made Jongin angrier oh god spare me please nonstop as he makes his way to his laptop to Skype Kyungsoo and tell him his recipe didn’t work. He is on the verge of tears when Kyungsoo picks up the call, looking distant wearing an apron, a spatula on his right hand.

“Yo Sehunnie whaddup?” he greets, lack of attentiveness obvious.

“He –he goth –he –wath –he – furiouth –“ Sehun couldn’t finish a statement because by then, his lips are trembling nonstop and droplets of water started falling from his eyes. He hears a stove being clicked shut and Kyungsoo, leaving his spatula in what he assumed to be the counter, now focused his attention to his dongsaeng’s dilemma. His saucer eyes looms over Sehun’s screen and he might as well joked about Kyungsoo’s eyes being a hundred watts, if not for the trepidation he is facing now.

“Alright. Calm down.” Kyungsoo starts, readjusting the laptop to get a better angle on the webcam. “Deep breaths,” he emphasizes the point by doing one by himself and Sehun obliges, chest rising and falling more evident than normal.

“That’s right…” Kyungsoo continues until eventually, Sehun’s breath is even enough to form coherent words. “Now tell me what happened.”

“The recipe –eggthellsth –Jonginnie, he, he –“

“Sehun.” Kyungsoo mildly chides and Sehun looks up at him, lips still trembling.

“Stop talking and just let me guess dammit.” Kyungsoo mutters. “Jongin didn’t like the pancakes?”

Sehun nods his head vigorously. “Did you follow every instruction I’ve written there?”

Again, there is a nonstop shaking of the head.

“What is this about the eggshells?”

“I made him –“Sehun starts, scratching his head. “ –eat eggthelth.”

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter