How to Parent

Maknae Line of Affection (Sekai Stories Collection)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Early Warning: this is crack. Also, sequel to this

The moment Kim Jongin steps inside the vicinity of their swish penthouse, he knows, he just knows, that something is absolutely wrong inside their living quarters.

Pillows, slippers and shoes are scattered everywhere. Their velvet couch, which almost caused Jongin’s credit card to get cut, is turned upside down, showing cobwebs and dust underneath it. There are rags in almost every corner of the room. The vacuum cleaner, he sees, is drawing in a rag beside it instead of dust. He hurries towards it before the vacuum can completely swallow the piece of cloth and blow itself up after. There are still trails of mess from the living room leading to the kitchen and the bedrooms. And he’s not about to see the entity of this mess before he calls for the one responsible for all of it –

“KIM. OH. SE. HUN!”

There are shuffling, sounds of things being thrown on the floor and a couple of it falling one after the other. Finally, Sehun emerges from the stock room, with a stupid Pororo apron on, a bandana on his head and sweat crawling everywhere on his porcelain skin. His face is flushed red and his shirt looks like something you can extract water from. Jongin never realized that something could be messier than the house he arrived on until he sees Sehun.

Sehun leans in for a kiss and Jongin shoos him away, “Eww no,”

Sehun feigns hurt. “No kiss?”

Jongin crinkles his nose in disgust. “Not until I get an explanation on what the in the world is going on,”

Sehun slumps on the floor, throwing his bandana on the process. “I’m doing a general cleaning.”

Jongin opens his mouth in disbelief. “You call this cleaning?” Now, Sehun really is hurt.

“You should at least give me some credit for the effort.” He spreads his body like a starfish and closes his eyes like he does when he’s sunbathing. Except, this is no beach and Jongin is not happy.

“Stand up and change your clothes.” Jongin says, exasperated. He offers a hand for Sehun but instead of getting up, Sehun pulls Jongin towards him and they both collapse on the floor.

“Sehun no, are you asking for pneumonia?” Sehun tugs on Jongin’s arm and rests his head on the crook of his husband’s neck. Eyes closed, he breathes in the scent that has always intoxicated him. It’s not the perfume, he had learned over time. It’s Jongin, the smell of Jongin:  familiar and comforting, just like what he had always been. It always amazes the both of them that even though they are almost the same size; Sehun fits perfectly on Jongin’s body. It’s like you’re shrinking or something, Jongin had said before.

Jongin peers over Sehun. His bangs are sticking on his forehead and the dust that had collected on his face had turned into an instant black facial mask. But somehow, seeing Sehun like this, peaceful in his arms, threatens his heart to burst with happiness because he knows that only here, with his body pressed against his, could Sehun feel really safe. The surge of happiness is so blissful he can almost see rainbows and ponies surrounding the air. It’s like getting his triple chocolate cake with an extra cherry on top, or getting the limited edition of Yugi’s deck (from Yugi-oh, yes, don’t judge), or getting the best penthouse in the busy streets of New York without going bankrupt –except, this is not the kind of happiness caused  by the material things around them, this is Sehun, Sehun the stupid brat, Sehun the selfish kid, Sehun the stubborn one, Sehun with the big heart, Sehun whom Jongin owns.

In the middle of Jongin’s sentimentality (which as much as possible, he doesn’t let Sehun know), he sees Sehun stir underneath him. He brushes the hair out of Sehun’s face with the tip of his fingers and he decides that they could stay like this for a little longer.

 

---

 

“Ow, ow, ow ow,”

“Sehun!”

“Watch it!” Sehun continues to howl in pain as Jongin cleans off the small cuts and scratch on his fingertips that he said to be ‘small but terrible’.

“Whose fault it is that you’re suffering now?” Jongin scoffs as he applies cream on every sensitive flesh and regretted the harsh tone afterwards because he remembers how sensitive Sehun’s skin is and being mean to him doesn’t help repair the damaged skin cells. He is still stupid though, in his opinion.

“Why is it so hard to remove the stains on the bathroom?” Sehun whines, looking over his shoulder where he can see the bathroom door.

“There’s no stain on the bathroom.” Jongin frowns, wrapping bandages on Sehun’s hand. Sehun purses his lips. “But there are brown specks on the wall –”

“Designs,” Jongin cuts him off. “You had chosen those two years ago because it seemed ‘legit designs’ at that time.”

Sehun blinks at him, trying to grasp his head around the memory. He comes off blank. He then presses his mouth into a thin line and tries to look like he’s inspecting every corner of the room, just avoiding his husband’s gaze. Jongin knows this look too well. He puts the bandages into the kit and sighs. “Okay, what is it?”

“I –” Sehun starts, biting on his bottom lip. Jongin decides that this might be pretty serious, because Sehun is never nervous if it isn’t serious, or at least he thinks it is. He pulls Sehun towards him; his back pressed against his hard chest and his hair gently. He knows it always calms Sehun’s nerves with Jongin just holding him close. They are seated on one corner of the bed, leaving the other parts of the king sized bed unoccupied.

Sehun closes his eyes and gathers all the willpower hiding inside the deep recesses of his mind. “Have you seen the guest room?”

Jongin frowns. He had cleaned up Sehun’s ‘general-cleaning’ mess but he never checked the other rooms for any damage. “No. Did you break anything?” he asks right away because it’s the only logical thing he can think off. When you’re with Sehun and he points at the guest room and he’s nervous, it’s not hard to put things together.

But Sehun whirls around and looks at him, petulant. “I did not!”

Jongin laughs and kisses Sehun’s creased forehead. Sehun is just as adorable as he was back when they were kids.

Sehun tugs on his husband’s wrist. “Come on, you better see for yourself.”

There is this excited glint on Sehun’s eyes that Jongin finds contagious. So he lets his partner drag him all the way to the guest room even without their matching slippers on. Sehun pauses at the door for dramatic effect. Jongin’s curiosity is itching him to open the door. He lets Sehun have his moment though.

Sehun takes his hand and he smiles at Jongin, this sweet yet creepy smile, and together, they enter the guest room.

There had only been three times that took Jongin’s breath away, all of them because of Sehun. First, when they were seventeen and Sehun had been recruited by some clothing line to model for them. Sehun had been styled, gelled and dressed. He glared at the camera, like what the photographer said, tilted his chin as if to say ‘look at you lowly creatures’, emphasizing his sharp bones. And Jongin guessed that not only his breath had been taken away because he was just so beautiful. Second was when Sehun was standing at him in front of the New York officers, reciting his vow to live with Jongin forever. And the third time was in Venice, when Sehun was sprawled on the silky sheets, vulnerable and giving Jongin every part of his body.

But this is a different kind of taking his breath away. He has yet to decide whether it’s positive or negative because those last times were always positive.

What used to be of the blue, crisp linens, are now replaced with pink bed sheets with pink dinosaurs, orange bears and yellow cats as its design. There are additional pillows too, different sizes of bolsters and big, suffocating stuffed toys on the corner. There are layers of plastic boxes in the corner labelled ‘toys’. The plain wooden floor is covered with letter mats, the one Jongin sees on nursery rooms. He thinks though, albeit being surprised-horrified, that Sehun doesn’t know how to combine colours. There are neon toys hanging above the bed. He notices a small bedside table with baby bottles on top and containers for milk and probably other baby stuff like Gerber. The realization hit Jongin like a cold bucket of water on winter. He looks over Sehun who has his bottom lip between his teeth and is giving him an apprehensive look.

“We’re having,” Jongin starts. He can’t still quite wrap his head around the word baby because everything is so surreal. He waits for Sehun to laugh and say him this is some kind of joke and he just wants to see his Oscar-award-winning face for future blackmails but Sehun is all kinds of serious and nervous because he’s picking on his nails and Jongin can’t really deny the tension in the air.

“A baby.” He finishes with a sigh of total defeat and surrender. There are numerous things he ought to discuss with Sehun: like how he shouldn’t make a major decision like that all by himself, and does he think having a bab

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter