Epilogue

Blind Love

FOUR YEARS LATER

 

“Boss, I have placed an important document for you to go over. Please sign it before you leave the office today, thank you.”

 

My secretary has got to be the most annoying woman on Earth. She is so stubborn and goes over my head so easily. I hate that I was so easy to manipulate in my eyes. I put down the phone and cursed to myself when she made me stay back in the office. I should be packing up and heading to the place I was supposed to be at in an hour’s time.

 

After what seemed like forever, I signed the document and handed it to her. Before I left my office, I saw Heechul standing at the doorway. I knew what he was here for anyway. I nodded at his presence as he spoke with his arms crossed, “You do remember what day is it today, right?”

 

“Of course I do,” I took the flowers that I picked up from the florist this morning and walked towards him.

 

“You sure you don’t want to come with me?” Heechul had asked the same question over and over since morning. I swore he nags too much as a friend and colleague.

 

I shook my head and forced a smile at him, “No, you know I won’t. I have another place to go. Bye, Heechul. I’ll meet you for drinks later on.”

 

I passed him and walked to the exit before he called me again, “Jun Hyung…”

 

I stopped in my tracks but did not turn around.

 

“It’s time to look forward. I’m sure she doesn’t want to see you like this. You’re an eligible man with a good personality. I hope you know that, Jun Hyung.” Heechul said with a serious tone.

 

Without saying a word, I left the office with his words at the back of my mind.

 

 

 

 

 

I stepped into the familiar place with the flowers in my hand. I walked as I smiled at the nurses and doctors who still remember me until this day. Apparently I was a memorable (in a bad way) patient for them and they could never forget my behaviour in the hospital. They were the ones who saw me change gradually too.

 

I spotted Nurse Park coming out of the ward that I was heading to. She was still beautiful in her red hair and sincere smile. As mentioned, she is the most wonderful nurse I had ever met. “Hello,” I greeted her.

 

“Jun Hyung, you’re here!” She exclaimed in happiness and placed one hand on my shoulder, “Don’t worry. I have cleaned up the place well for you to visit.”

 

“Thank you.” I said simply and she walked away to tend to her other patients.

 

Breathing in deeply, I opened the door and walked in.

 

My old ward.

 

It was still the same as before. It had been vacant since I was discharged from the hospital. I had told Nurse Park that I wanted it to be empty. It held too many memories for me to have another patient stay in here. It was selfish for me but it was like a haven for me and her. This place had truly belonged to us and no one else. I could not imagine someone else occupying this space.

 

The packets of chocolate bars that she fell in love after I introduced it to her, the hospital food that she made me eat and appreciate (abalone congee), her old comb which she used to brush my hair and the small corner which hung her hospital uniform. Everything was there. I placed the flowers into a vase. I bought lilies for her. Even though she had never blatantly said lilies were her favourite, I remembered her spazzing over them when we had a stroll outside.

 

I sat near the window and looked out at the scenery.

 

She was right before. The scenery in this V.I.P ward was magnificent. No wonder she was jealous of me then.

 

Too bad she’s not here to see it anymore.

 

“Hara… Are you doing well?” I whispered her name.

 

I touched the walls of the ward and bit my lips, “It has been two years since you have been gone and it seems like it was only yesterday. I’ve been taking care of your eyes well. And maybe it’s because of your eyes, I feel like you haven’t left me yet. You know what? Heechul has been feeding me of your appearance description now and then even though I forbid him to. He’s getting on my nerves.”

 

I remembered the days two years ago. I had never seen her real appearance after all. I forbade myself to do so.

 

 

 

 

“Do you want to see how she looks like?”

 

“Heechul…” I whispered, “I… I… Don’t show me.”

 

“What?” Heechul was momentarily shocked.

 

“You know what, Heechul?” I started forming a smile across my sad face, “From her voice, I could tell she’s a gift from Heaven. Hara is a beautiful angel to me regardless of how she looks like. I don’t care how she looks like and to me, she’s always beautiful. I never knew it was possible to love a person without knowing how she looks like. You think the quote ‘love is blind’ is cliché but after meeting her, love is truly blind.”

 

Heechul closed the cabinet and placed one hand on my arm, “I’m very glad that Hara finds someone who loves her for who she is before she left. Jun Hyung, I will be thankful forever. At least, you made her life fulfilling before she is gone.”

 

“No, Heechul. She made my life fulfilling before I even knew what life is.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Do you know I even ran away when he threatens to show me your picture? It’s pretty stupid but I hold my stand pretty strongly.” I laughed to myself and people passing by would think I was insane.

 

My smile faded when I got reminded of Heechul’s words, “Do you know every woman looks so plain in comparison to you? I can never find another woman who is just like you. Maybe it’s because I have your eyes now and you’re preventing me from liking any other woman…”

 

The little joke I cracked was not very funny.

 

“Heechul is right. I know he thinks of me. He wants me to move on and be happy.” I looked down, “Do you think I’m doing the right thing? Hara, will you approve me of looking at other women other than you? Will you help me find a woman who can share a lifetime with me?”

 

Suddenly, I heard the door opened violently without my permission. I was startled for a moment but turned my head slowly to the door.

 

“Yah! Are you Yong Jun Hyung?! Get down from there right now! I need to talk to you right away!” A woman’s voice pierced through my ears and it was high-pitched and full of frustrations.

 

 As I looked up, I scrutinised her from head to toe. She was wearing a tight black skirt along with a long-sleeved white blouse. Her centre-parting hair was long, wavy and natural brown. She had her hands on her hips and fuming mad. I saved her face for the last and I was amazed at her appearance.

 

Her eyes were round and sparkling with her button nose and luscious lips pouting in annoyance. Her eyebrows crossed and cheeks were blushing red thanks to her temper probably. Her legs had showed me that she was probably underweight but not malnourished or anything. Her skin was fair and smooth and she looked like… looked like… an angel.

 

“Yah, Yong Jun Hyung! Didn’t you hear what I said? Stop staring into space and listen to what I have to say!” She pointed at me and shouted. Her voice was almost similar to Hara’s and it was uncanny.

 

“What do you want?” I answered simply and did not move. Even though she sounded like Hara but she sounded nothing positive. In fact, her personality seemed like the opposite of Hara.

 

“You have been ‘renting’ this V.I.P ward for four years! For. Four. Years. I have a mother who is sick and demands to stay in this room because well, this room suits her the best! I don’t care how much money you rent for it, I’m going to take it in a higher price. Tell me how much you rent for it, I’ll pay higher!” She had spouted whatever she wanted to say in a breath.

 

I was pretty amazed.

 

Now I’m intrigued by her.

 

“I don’t really care for the money. If I had the money to rent it, do you think I really care if you pay me?” I stepped forward to her and realized she was just a midget. She looked up at me, surprised by the height.

 

“You don’t want to mess with me, Yong Jun Hyung…” She snarled.

 

“I just know that you are nothing as compared to me…” I smirked at her and leaned closer to her face.

 

“How do you know, Mr. Smarty Pants?” She was not frightened of the close gap she had between us.

 

My smirk dropped when she said that.

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m kidding! Gotcha!” She laughed again when I fell for her stupid trick. I would go and strangle her if I could. She was really immature. She sensed I was irritated and coughed, “I’m just a year younger than you. I’m 22.”

 

“I knew it.” I smirked.

 

“How do you know, Mr. Smarty Pants?” Her little nickname for me reminded me that I had not introduced myself. Besides, I thought I was pretty famous. She should know who I am but till now, she had not mentioned my name.

 

 

 

 

 

Her tone was exactly like Hara.

 

“Yah, Yong Jun Hyung! Stop staring into space again!”

 

I moved away from her and asked, “Who are you anyway?!”

 

“You’re asking who am I?! Are you serious?” She stepped closer to me and said to me in a velvety voice, “Listen well, Yong Jun Hyung. My name is…”

 

Hara, are you telling me this is the woman I would be spending my lifetime with?

 

As I waited for her answer to my question, I smirked to myself and raised my eyebrows in amusement. For some reasons, I was actually anticipating my future interactions with this devilish angel in front of me.