Sand

Secrets

Laying there by herself in the dark little cubicle she spent the next hour reliving their relationship, that she had kept locked up for so long, one memory at a time. There had been the time he had bought them matching jackets and she smiled thinking about all the hours they used to spend together at the computer, him playing intently or trying to teach her while she only wanted to watch him have this time of his that his schedules so often denied and that he loved so much. He made fun of her lack of cooking skills since she refused to try creating anything Korean and she about his dorm life with his hyungs. One time she had even sneaked into his room and cleaned it completely. They had all gotten a kick out of that and forever after tried to get her to clean everyone’s dorms for them, dorks.

 

She especially remembered their very first kiss. It had been almost two years ago. It had been windy and freezing, basically the kind of day that turned her into a hibernating bear. And despite the fact that he knew about her hatred of the cold he had texted her to put on a coat because they were going out. She had stared at her phone in disbelief.

 

“Are you out of your mind?! It’s less than zero degrees outside and you expect me to go out there? That’s okay I’ll just stay right where I am thank you very much. It’s early and icy and my bed loves me so much…zzz” was her lengthy reply; she fully intended on persuading him to stay and watch a movie rather than let him drag her off into the weather somewhere. And what did she get back? “Be ready in hour.” She sat there for a full five minutes wondering if he was serious. They had been dating for two months at the time and she was just starting to find out what limits existed between them. She debated staying in her pajamas so he couldn’t make her go anywhere. He knew how much she despised going out in anything below freezing since every time he tried she vehemently opposed. However that very argument pushed her to scramble into the shower to get ready because if he wanted her to go out in the middle of a blizzard there had to be a good reason.

 

Right on time, he showed up in a taxi and she ran down to meet him. He opened the door for her and they both slid into the warm cab together, their breath fogging up the windows. He nodded at the driver, “You know where to go.” She looked at him, surprised, “What? You’re not even going to tell me where we’re going?!” He shook his head and smirked, “Not a chance.” For an hour she sat next to him wondering where on earth he was taking her until at last they came to a stop in a parking lot. She looked out the window, “The beach?” It was overcast and deserted but instantly she was struck by the beauty of the dark rolling ocean.

 

“You told me that you loved your beaches back home so I thought it would cool to take you to one of ours here. “ He shrugged, “I know it’s not perfect weather so we can go home if you like but there are always less people on these kinds of days, it’s more peaceful.” At first she was torn between wanting to stay warm and wanting to go out but her pull toward the waves was getting stronger by the second and one look at Kyuhyun’s face melted her heart instantly. She opened the door and pulled on his hand, “Let’s go all the way to the shoreline!” As soon as she could smell the ocean water her spirits soared sky high. She laughed out loud from how happy she was.

 

“This is so…perfect, Oppa,” she turned to him, “Thank you!” He smiled back at her.

 

“Worth leaving your cave for a little while?” he grinned. She stuck her tongue out at him and picked up a stick to write out her name in big cursive letters in the damp sand. He picked up an even bigger one and wrote his own next to hers, only in Korean characters. She thought about how she had once seen the world as such a huge place. Korea had seemed worlds away but she knew now that it really wasn’t. It was all perspective. And with Kyuhyun-sshi in her life she felt like the earth could only be a pebble compared to what she had once thought. She decided to draw a globe between their names since it was what had brought them together in a way. He looked at it curiously.

 

“What’s that for?” he asked.

 

“Well it’s kind of my life, I guess. Me, you, and the world. I think it made better sense in my head.” She laughed.

 

“Ahh,” he looked at it thoughtfully, “But I think you’re forgetting something.” He used his stick to scratch out a crappy candy bar underneath her drawing.

 

“Chocolate. Your life is you, me, the world, and chocolate…lots of chocolate.” He tried to look calmly back at her but her turned down mouth and narrowed eyes made him laugh uncontrollably. She grabbed his stick away from him, “Jerk.” She stabbed his stick into his name like a sword, “And your so-perfect life definitely includes sharp words. And…I guess I have to include games too.” She used her stick to try and draw a keyboard and failed miserably. They both laughed and continued to spend the next hour adding different pictures to each other’s “lives”. Finally she traced a giant heart around it all to finish it off.

 

“There.” She stepped back to admire their art.

 

“Now it’s done,” he agreed, “because now instead of two names it’s one big story. Our story.” She liked the sound of that and turned to smile at him. He turned to her also and laughed, “Your lips turned blue!”

 

“Well it’s all your fault,” she laughed also, “I blame you completely for taking me out here for so long.” He nodded seriously, “You’re right. I guess I should apologize and fix things.” And before she knew what was happening he pulled her into his arms and pressed his cold lips gently against hers. They held there for a moment and then his chafed hands went to her red cheeks as he slowly pulled away.

 

“Feeling better?” he asked, his breath warming her face. Slightly startled, she pretended to think about it while she caught her breath, “Um, you know, not really, nope.” He threw back his head and laughed out loud.

 

“No? Well then I guess I should try again…”

 

As she remembered she just couldn’t take it anymore. She loved him, even after all this time, and she couldn’t let anything get in the way of that. She missed him so much that it was a physical pain in her heart that threatened to make her throw up. She would fix this right now, she had no other choice. She pushed the nurse’s button on the wall next to her bed. When the lady hurried in Hannah asked if she could go home.

“Well dear, if you’re feeling better I don’t see why not but usually you would want to stay until you’re completely mobile and you haven’t tried to leave your bed yet today,” the nurse told her sternly. However the doctor was called in and in a good hour she was seated in a cab on the street with her purse full of pills, crutches on the seat, and instructions to lay low for a couple weeks and to come back for a check-up in a few days. When the cab door was shut she instantly knew she didn’t want to go home. She needed to find Kyuhyun only she didn’t even know where he was staying. She was wearing the coat he had left behind and his phone was still in it so there was no way to even call him. The driver twisted around and looked at her expectantly but she was at a total loss. She had no clue where he was...

...but she suddenly knew where she wanted to be.

 

This chapter is kind of cheesy but I still like it(:  I'll  upload another soon, but I'm still trying to figure out how long I want this story to be, what do you guys think? Please comment and thanks for reading!