Seoul

Secrets

In the hotel room she smiled as she reminisced. It had been so amazing. Everyone she had told had seriously thought she was straight up lying or crazy at first. It took a long while before anyone believed it. It took her even longer. It was a few months before she saw him again. She couldn’t believe she even had seen him again. The stars had to be smiling at her, for the amount of luck she had was sky high.

 

The warmth of the cup seeped into her hands, repelling the chill in them. She breathed in the fragrant smells of coffees, teas, and breads and closed her eyes. She felt like she hadn’t had a minute to herself to just relax in ages. She didn’t really have time at the moment either but it was a break and she had decided she needed to get out before she went crazy. Behind her eyelids, thoughts of classes, drama, and her home bounced around in turn. It was taking her so long to catch on to anything and adjust to her life, but then again, no one had told her it would easy, quite the opposite actually. It just became stressful sometimes, or all the time, with the new language and the new culture. It was confusing a lot and insanity even more. ...And here she was again, worrying about it.

 

She opened her eyes and took a sip of her drink. She tried to make herself focus on how nice it was in the small café compared to the freezing weather outside. She shivered just thinking about it. She shrugged her coat off and turned to drape it on the back of her chair, setting down her cup, when she caught sight of who was ordering at the counter. To her amazement it was Kyuhyun! She glanced around quickly but didn’t see any fans or anyone around, the shop was almost empty. Yet she knew it was him as he turned away from the counter, drink in hand, and she tentatively waved at him, hardly believing that he might remember her. He surprised her completely by smiling in return and coming up to the chair opposite her.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo,” she got out, stunned.

 

“Hannah! Mind if I join you?” He gestured at the seat. She nodded and smiled, trying to conceal her astonishment. This was kind of strange for someone normal to do here, much less him!

 

“I didn’t think you would recognize me,” she smiled shyly. He took a drink before saying, “Of course, from America. I remember your pretty red hair.” She flushed bright crimson but he didn’t seem to notice, “So how do you like Seoul? What have you been here…two months now?” She hid behind her coffee, trying to cool her cheeks, “Yes. It’s lovely, everything here is so exciting! People are very friendly and helpful and I’m starting to really like it here.”

 

“Your Korean is very good!” he complimented her.

 

“Thank you,” she murmured, still red, and tried to change the subject off of herself. “I’m sure you’ve been just as busy as I have, with your comeback last month. Shouldn’t you be halfway around the world by now?” she joked.  He put his coffee down to yawn and stretch for a minute before relaxing into his seat like an overgrown puppy.

 

“Tell me about it,” he groaned, “I don’t think I’ve slept in a week. We actually just got back from Singapore a few days ago but we’re off again to Tokyo on Friday.” He closed his eyes and shook his head, “Schedules, schedules, schedules…” Hannah was shocked at how open he was being with her but she made herself be normal.

 

“Sounds stressful. We could trade lives for a week if you want. I could use a break from University work also.” He opened one eye to look at her up and down, then closed it again, “You definitely could not be an idol for an entire day, much less a week.” He was so completely straight-faced that dropped open. He sat up and looked at her with raised eyebrows and an “I’m not going to take that back” expression. snapped shut and she took a sip with an injured air. Finally she made eye contact with him, “Well. That was rude.” His mouth twitched up at the corners but he didn’t apologize as she thought he would. Evil Maknae indeed, she thought.

 

“I’m surprised you are an idol yourself with an attitude like that. Your hyungs must want to hit you pretty hard and very frequently,” she told him, also with a serious face. However she couldn’t keep it for very long because he burst out laughing. He got an angry shush from an elderly woman sitting near them but he continued to laugh at her impertinent remark. She smiled as well and he shook his head at her.

 

“You,” he said, “are just as bad as I am.” She smirked, hugely amused and pleased that he had liked her attempt at humor. After that he became completely relaxed and she found him very fun to talk to, slightly mischievous, but very entertaining. To her surprise she found that although she couldn’t keep up with his wit, she could parry almost all of it. To say the least, it was an enjoyable afternoon. Eventually, however, as it goes with all things, it had to end. Kyuhyun needed to go back to his dorm before his busy night and he had already stayed much later than he had intended.

 

“You know,” he said, “You can really make me lose track of time. It’s refreshing to meet someone like you.” He smiled at her and it warmed her more than the coffee had. To hide her blush she went to throw away her cup and noticed that his eyes followed her. Suddenly embarrassed, she avoided his face when she returned to the table and grabbed her coat. He stood as well. She looked at her boots, “Well I’ll go now, and it was really nice to see you again. And fun to talk. Don’t work too hard, you need to stay healthy. Annyeong!” She turned to leave but he touched her arm, “Wait. Maybe we could exchange numbers, if you want to I mean. It would be cool to talk to you again sometime.” He was nervous and it made her even more flustered but she managed to nod, “Yeah, sure.” She put his number into her phone and he did the same. Then he smiled at her and bowed politely before leaving the shop to get into a car that had just pulled up. She just stood there for a second, not sure if she had dreamt the entire day up. Had that all really just happened? Really? No one was going to believe this one.

 

She had walked the short distance back to her apartment completely at a loss with what to do with herself.  Never had a Korean man come up to talk to her unless she knew him really well, which was rare. That was not how this kind of thing worked. Yet for some reason, Kyuhyun had done just that. He had had coffee with her, her who he barely even knew, and spent a whole afternoon talking to her like they were close friends. What. Her head couldn’t make sense of it and it was starting to hurt trying. Maybe, because he was an idol, spontaneity was the only way he could approach new people. But why would he want to? He was surrounded by beautiful, talented, perfect women all day that he worked with. And he decided to get her number. There was no way she would be able to homework after such an encounter so she just knelt beside her bed and started to pray, thanking God for such an amazing gift as she had received that day.

 

That night she had gotten her first text message from him, asking if she had arrived home safe and how her studying was going. She almost smiled into the pillow of her hospital bed and she thought about it. She had spent the rest of the night listening to his music, trying to breath while texting him back. The next morning she had called her best friend and literally started hyperventilating from the excitement of it all. That day was the beginning of the coming adventure and she had had no idea, not in the slightest, of what was to come.

 

 

Two chapters as promised! Please, please comment so I know what you think! I think I want to put in one more memory chapter next just to finish giving a background of what's happening so I'll do that soon. Thank you readers ^_^