Minho's Story Part One

The Typical Story (with a twist)

I have two brothers, Choi Siwon who is six years older than me, and Lee Taemin, technically a half brother, who is two years younger than me. Our parents have always been very distant. They travel all around the world for both business and pleasure.

          About five years ago, when I was twelve and Siwon hyung was eighteen, umma and appa decided that it would be good for their business if Siwon hyung became engaged to the daughter of their business partners.

          They didn’t tell hyung what was going on, they weren’t the type to think others might have wishes that are against theirs. They told him to wear a suit and meet them at a fancy restaurant for dinner.

          Hyung went to the restaurant and was seated, waiting for umma and appa to arrive. He told me he wondered why there was seating for six but he didn’t think about it for too long. A few minutes after hyung sat down, a girl from his school, Tiffany, and her family sat down.

          “Wait,” said Tiffany, “Siwon, are you the Lee-Choi Corporation’s eldest son?”

          “Yes,” Siwon said, slightly confused. Tiffany sat down and just started laughing. “What’s going on?”

          “Oh, I’ll let your parents explain,” Tiffany said. “This is too hilarious!” You see, hyung wasn’t in the closet or anything; he just had never really sat down and told umma and appa he was gay.

          When umma and app came in, Tiffany managed to stop laughing and greeted them. Siwon greeted them and sat down to wait for someone to tell him what this whole dinner was for.

          “I’m so grateful for Mr. and Mrs. Hwang and their beautiful daughter Tiffany for joining us tonight,” Appa started out. “Our companies have worked together for several years and we are excited for this new venture.” Appa always sounds like he is talking at a press conference, complete with large gestures.

          “Appa, what does a new business venture have to do with Tiffany and I? If it’s just a family meeting, why aren’t Minho and Taemin here?” hyung asked.

          “Because Siwon, this new venture is not strictly a business venture. This meeting today between you and Tiffany is the beginning of creating a new Choi-Hwang family,” Appa told him. Hyung was flabbergasted to say the least.

          “Let me see if I’ve got a good understanding of this situation. We are here today because you and Mr. and Mrs. Hwang are expecting Tiffany and I to start dating, get engaged, get married, and join our companies together. Is this so?” hyung asked.

          “That would be a fair assessment of the situation,” Appa agreed. At this Tiffany dissolved into a fit of giggles and hyung soon joined her in laughter.

          “Choi Siwon! I do not see what in this situation is so incredibly funny!” Umma shouted out. She was very angry at this point; mostly from embarrassment that her son was being so unprofessional in front of their business associates.

          “I’m terribly sorry. Allow me to explain. Tiffany and I already know each other quite well. We go to the same school and hang in the same circle of friends. If we had wanted to date each other, we would have been in a relationship by now,” hyung tried to explain. Unfortunately, his explanation just caused more problems.

          “Are you saying my daughter is not good enough for you?” Mr. Hwang said, finally appearing to be angry.

          “Oh, no sir! Tiffany is very beautiful. She is also intelligent, kind, and funny. It’s just, you see…. I’m gay,” hyung said. At that, all of the adults in the room gasped. Without another word being spoken, Umma grabbed her purse and wrap and Appa grabbed Siwon by the arm and they rushed out of the restaurant and into a cab.

          I remember seeing them rush into the house and Appa pushed Siwon hyung into the family room. Taemin and I heard the yelling and the shouting for hours. Finally, Appa came out and Siwon hyung came upstairs with tears streaming down his face.

          “Taemin, Minho, hyung needs to talk to you,” Siwon hyung called us over. “Hyung is going away to school. Umma and Appa are sending me to a boarding school.”

          “Why hyung?” I asked him.

          “They found out today that I’m gay. They can’t deal with that so they’re sending me away. I don’t think that they will let me contact you directly but I will send you messages through Heechul hyung and Leeteuk hyung, ok,” Siwon hyung gave us both hugs and went into his room to pack.

          That was the last time I saw Siwon hyung until this summer. He wrote us long letters that he sent through some close friends. While here, he met Zhou Mi ge and fell in love. After they graduated Zhou Mi ge got a contract modeling in Paris and Siwon hyung found a pre-med course in Paris so that he could go with him.

 

 

A/N: Just so everyone knows, I plan on updating every Thursday or Friday. Life gets to crazy for me to update more than that. Hope you all have enjoyed part one of the glimpse into Minho's past.