How It Begins

The Typical Story (with a twist)

A/N: Anything in italics are Minho’s thoughts

 

          “Thanks for all your help hyung,” Minho said into his phone. He grabbed a couple of books out of the half-empty box and put them on the bookshelf. “I don’t know what I would have done without your help.”

          “I don’t know why we helped you move in there. Your school is close enough that you could have lived with us,” Heechul said on the other end of the line.

          “Do I really have to go over the concept of a boarding school with you again?” Minho said amusement in his voice. “Besides, it was part of the agreement with my parents so that they would pay for my schooling.”
          “I still can’t believe they kicked you out! I should go to their fancy-shmancy house and shatter all their breakables!”

          “Now hyung, if you do that, where would Teukie hyung get the money to bail you out of jail?” Minho finished putting the books away and looked at his unmade bed. “I so don’t want to make my bed.”

          “I offered to help you put things away, but no! You said you wanted to start your year off with a low profile and me meeting your roommate would somehow ruin that!”

          Minho just laughed. The door to the room opened and a short boy with tri-toned hair walked in.

          “Heechul hyung, I’ll call you later, my roommate just came in,” Minho said.

          “Is he hot? Oh wait, tell me later. Bye! Love you! Kisses!”

          “Love you too,” Minho hung up and turned to his roommate.

          “Hi, I’m Kim Jonghyun, a senior and your roommate for the year,” the boy stuck out his hand for Minho to shake.

          “I’m Choi Minho. It’s a pleasure to meet you, sunbae,” he said as he shook his roommate’s hand.

          “Call me hyung. We should be comfortable with each other since we’ll be living together,” Jonghyun said. “I’m sorry I wasn’t here to help you move in. As captain of the soccer team, I had to meet with the coach to schedule tryouts.”

          “It’s really no problem. A couple of my hyung-deul helped with the boxes. All I really have left is to make the bed.”

          “Then I’ll help you with that!” Jonghyun said excitedly. Minho just laughed and grabbed the end of the sheet Jonghyun threw to him. “So, what made you decide to transfer here? We don’t get many people starting here in their junior year.”

          Minho froze. He’d been waiting for this question but he still didn’t have a good answer. After all, how exactly do you tell your new (male) roommate that your parents shipped you off to boarding school because you’re gay? Minho opened his mouth, “Umm…”

          “Whoa! Dude, is that the Eiffel Tower?” Jonghyun cut in.

          “Yeah, that’s a picture of me with my brother and brother-in-law in Paris,” Minho replied glad for the reprieve, however brief it may be.

          “Wow, Paris! So cool. The farthest from Seoul I’ve ever been is a family vacation to Jeju Island,” Jonghyun said, picking up the picture to look at it closer. “Which one is your brother?”

          “The one on the left is my brother Siwon, he’s a doctor. The other is my brother-in-law ZhouMi. He’s a famous model,” Minho told him.

          “Wow, has he done any work here in Korea? Would I know of any magazines he’s been in?” Jonghyun asked.

          “No, he doesn’t come back to Korea very often. He’s actually from China originally. He will have a big show here in about six months though,” Minho responded. It seemed Jonghyun was easily distracted and perhaps won’t go back to his original line of questioning. Just to be on the safe side however, Minho decided to ask a question of his own in order to keep Jonghyun side tracked.

          “You said you’re the captain of the soccer team. When are tryouts? I was on the team at my old school.” Pabo, don’t mention your old school!

          “OH, since most students won’t move in until Friday or Saturday, tryouts won’t begin until Monday after classes,” JOnghyun told him. “Tomorrow some friends and I are going to play a pick-up game on the school’s field, would you like to join?”
          “Sure, that sounds like fun,” Minho responded. They fell into an awkward silence. Hopefully they’d eventually be able to communicate like close friends but today they were still unsure. They’d only just met and Minho has never been the most talkative of men.

          “So, ummmm, you never said, why did you transfer schools? I think I interrupted you earlier before you could say,” JOnghyun said somewhat sheepishly.

          Minho took a deep breath and began to speak. “Well, my parents are very conservative and they….”

          “Jonghyun! You have to come quickly!” The door to their room flew open and a boy came in. Wow, he’s cute! He had brown hair and eyes. His lips were plump and pink. Minho also couldn’t help but notice the boy’s muscular thighs and gorgeous . Minho also noticed the blush that spread across Jonghyun face at the boy’s entrance so he mentally crossed him out as a potential boyfriend. It would be stupid to alienate his roommate over a guy he just met. Maybe telling Jonghyun won’t be so difficult after all.

          “Hyung, I’m sorry for this intrusion. I tried to remind Jinki hyung that you have a new roommate but he still forgot to knock,” the speaker was a blonde boy who had apparently walked in while Minho had been checking out the boy now known as Jinki. The new boy was gorgeous too but in a different way than Jinki. While Jinki was gorgeous in a cozy way, a way that made you feel safe and warm, the blonde was gorgeous in a way that hurt the eyes. Looking at him was similar to looking at the sun. He’s too close to perfect. Then, Minho saw the flaw in the boy’s perfection; he’s holding the hand of a pretty young girl. Perhaps saying that he was holding her hand is understating things a bit. It more appeared that she was latched onto him, like a barnacle on a ship. The clingy kind of girl Minho always hated to see. He always felt like he needed to set the poor boy free.

          “I’m Jonghyun’s brother, Kim Kibum. I’m a junior too,” the blonde, Kibum, turned and smiled at Minho. Minho’s heart skipped a beat and his palms began to sweat under the blaze of Kibum’s smile.

          “Oppa,” the girl clinging to Kibum whined. “I’ve told you to introduce yourself as Key! It sounds so much better. Kibum is so common.” She sniffed and turned towards Minho. As soon as she saw the five foot eleven, buff soccer player she detached herself from Kibum and gave Minho what she considered a beautiful and flirtatious smile.

          “I’m Sulli. What did you say your name was?” the girl simpered.

          “I’m Choi Minho,” he replied. And I’m gay.

          “I’m Lee Jinki,” the first boy to enter the room finally introduced himself. “I’m sorry for just barging into your room. Jonghyun and Minho-ssi, please come join us for dinner. The cafeteria is serving fried chicken Jjong!” They all laughed and headed to the cafeteria.

          Minho learned quite a bit over dinner. He’s always been a people watcher, not the life of the party and he’s okay with that. He feels like he gets a good feel for people this way. The people he finally chooses to open up to are good, honest people. With a few notable exceptions.

          The first thing he learned is that JOnghyun and Jinki had no idea that the way they felt towards each other was anything more than good friendship. However, if someone were paying close attention, they would notice that every time their hands brushed, they would blush.

          The second thing Minho realized is that Kibum’s girlfriend Sulli is a tramp. Now, Minho hates to label a girl negatively but the way Sulli was acting gave him no choice but to despise her. She treated Kibum as her personal pack mule on the way to the cafeteria all the while hitting on and flirting at Minho. Minho refused to call it flirting with because he did not respond to her flirtatious behavior.

          The third thing Minho realized was that he had a heart-breakingly stupid crush on Kim Kibum. The way Kibum rolled his eyes at his girlfriend’s behavior. The way he took care of his hyung and Jinki. The way he took care of Minho too, even though he just met him. It all cannonballed into Minho’s heart, leaving irreparable damage.

          Minho knew that crushing on a straight guy with a girlfriend was nothing but trouble. After all, a crush on a straight guy with a girlfriend was what got him shipped off to boarding school in the first place.

 

 

A/N: Thank you for reading this first chapter of my take on a typical story. I hope you like it. For all of those out there that love Sulli, miahne. I had to have an evil girl and has a possessive flamer, I'm not a big Sulli fan.