Chapter 6

Piano Hands

It was that time of the year, the month when all the schools in the city competed against one another in various events for the title of the best.

  Everywhere in the school, auditions and try-outs were being held to choose representatives for the events and it seemed that everyone was trying out for at least one event. Everyone that is, except for the lone boy in one of the music rooms.

~*~

  If anyone had walked past the hardly used music room on the third floor on this particular Tuesday morning, they would have heard a beautiful melody drifting from the room. And if they had peeked in, they would see none other than Byun Baekhyun sitting at the lone piano, his hands flying over the keys as he hummed along to the tune, lost in his thoughts. It was peaceful, to say the least, and peaceful was something that Baekhyun very much enjoyed.

  “Riiiiiiiiiiiing!”

  The bell signalling the end of free period rang out shrilly and with a sigh, Baekhyun stood up and grabbed his bag before starting for the door. Free period always went by way too fast, in his opinion. Twisting the knob, Baekhyun was about to pull the door open when he was almost hit in the face by said door when it was flung open.

  “Baekkie!” Park Chanyeol rushed in, waving a piece of paper in his hand before skidding to a stop and looking around in confusion. “Baekhyun? Are you even in here? Ah, there you are!”

  Chanyeol grinned as he practically skipped to where Baekhyun was frozen by the door, eyes widened in the shock that came with a door almost coming into contact with your face. “Baek,” Chanyeol repeated, before taking a deep breath and proceeding to almost deafen Baekhyun with his loud voice.

  “Baekhyun-ah! Guess who got picked for the cross-country event?” Chanyeol yelled happily as he grabbed his friend’s slim shoulders and shook him. “Me! Handsome me is running the cross-country!”  Chanyeol abruptly released Baekhyun and flashing him a thumbs-up, took off out the door and down the hallways, excitedly shouting the news to anyone who would listen.

  “Oh yeah! Baek, just wanted to ask, what are you going to try out for?” Chanyeol was back in seconds, practically bouncing around the room as he waited for a reply from Baekhyun.

  Baekhyun turned to glare at the taller boy. “Park Chanyeol, sit the down!” he snapped, scowling.

  “Alright, alright. Jeez, are you on your period or something?” Chanyeol pouted as he reluctantly sat down on piano bench. “So, Baek, what are you going to try out for? You’re the only one in the school not trying out for anything!”

  “I am not going to try out for anything, Channie. None of the events interests me,” Baekhyun retorted.

  “Not even the piano one?” Chanyeol asked, his face falling before lighting up almost immediately. “Baekhyun! You should totally try out for the piano event!”

Baekhyun glanced sceptically at his friend before turning back towards the door with a flat out “No.”

“Why, Baekkie?” Chanyeol whined, pouting. “Doesn’t playing the piano interest you?”

  “Because, Chanyeol, I will never enter in something I know I can’t win in… And now I’m late for Biology.” Baekhyun looked away from Chanyeol’s hopeful face. As much as he would love to join, he just did not see the point of doing so when there were so many other talented pianists in the school who would obviously get chosen over him. As far as he was concerned, he was convinced that joining would only result in his disappointment.

  Slinging his bag over his shoulder, Baekhyun was halfway out the door before Chanyeol could say anything to make him change his mind.

~*~

  The ringing of his phone woke Baekhyun up from his sleep. Fumbling for the device, he held it up to his ear, drowsily groaning out a greeting, only to cringe away when a very familiar voice boomed out from the tiny speaker.

  “Baek! The audition for the piano event is next Friday afternoon, don’t be late!”

  “What the , Chanyeol. You woke me up just to say that? I’m not even auditioning!” Baekhyun  mumbled, still half asleep as he mentally cursed his friend to hell and beyond. However, Chanyeol’s next words was enough to make him jerk upright, more awake than he ever was.

  “Who said you’re not auditioning? I signed upon your behalf! Aren’t I such a great friend?”

~*~

  “Park ing Chanyeol! How dare you?!” every single head in the crowded corridor turned to look at Baekhyun as he marched up to where a sheepish looking Chanyeol cowered behind a girl half his height.

  Politely shooing the girl away, Baekhyun reached up and with some difficulty, grabbed his friend’s ear and started to tow him away from the curious eyes of the student body, all the while ignoring the yelps of pain and begs of forgiveness.

  “Seriously? I said no, didn’t I? And you still went ahead and signed me up. What the heck!” Baekhyun seethed as he paced around the empty classroom they found themselves in, shooting death glares at Chanyeol whenever the latter so much as moved an inch.

  “I’m sorry! I’ll buy you teddy bears! Just don’t kill me!” Chanyeol cried, moving towards the door in an attempt to escape, only to freeze, grimacing, when Baekhyun shot a glare at him. Who knew the adorable Baekhyun could be so scary?

  Awkward silence reigned before Baekhyun whipped around and pointed a finger at Chanyeol’s chest. “Is there any way I can withdraw?”

  Shaking his head, Chanyeol braced himself for another onslaught of angry words, but to his surprise, he only heard a sigh and a “Guess I have no choice but to go then. But, Chanyeol, you owe me, you owe me so much.”

  Gasping a sigh of relief that he had survived, Chanyeol thanked the lords that he had gotten off lightly, or so he thought.

  “You can start by helping me clean my room after school. See you,” Baekhyun smirked as he left the room. He would make Chanyeol regret signing him up for the auditions without his permission.

 


A/N

Hey, so I just want to thank everyone that has stuck with thisstory depsite me not updating for a super long time~

I'm not sure when I can update again, but I promise it won't be such a long wait again >.<

Hope y'all enjoy this chapter ^_^