Chapter 5

Piano Hands

“Hey, Baek, how was your night? I heard you spent it over at a friend’s.”

  Baekhyun sighed as the door to his room was flung open and his older sister, Minji, barged in, her obnoxious voice drowning out the music blasting from his iPod. “Nothing happened, Noona, we just hung around Chanyeol’s house. Now can you please get out of my room?”

  Minji rolled her eyes at her brother’s response, irritated that it was not the kind of answer she was after. “Yah! Byun Baekhyun! Be more specific. Did you two, like, share a bed?” Minji winked, waggling her eyebrows before collapsing onto the bed in fits of giggles.

  It took Baekhyun a few seconds before he understood the true meaning behind his sister’s question. “I already told you, nothing happened! You’ve just been reading too much !” he whined, a faint blush blooming over his cheeks as he tugged Minji off the bed and towards the door.

  “Hey, I’m not done yet!” Minji yelled, whipping around and attempting to push her way back into Baekhyun’s room again. “Did you share a b-“

  At that moment, a series of shrill beeps sounded through the room, interrupting Minji mid-sentence and giving Baekhyun the perfect opportunity to escape from an embarrassing interrogation. “Sorry, Noona, phone call,” Baekhyun said in a way too cheerful voice as he slammed the door shut in his sister’s face.

  Silently thanking the Lord for the timely phone call and trying his best to ignore the pounding on the door and Minji’s infuriated shouts, Baekhyun grabbed his phone from where it was buried under a pile of manga and jabbed the ‘answer’ icon.

  “Hello?”                                                                                                                   

~*~

  “Yeollie? Are you here already?” Baekhyun called out softly as he cautiously peered around the side of the building. It would not be pretty if one of the caretakers or a teacher caught him wandering around the school during the weekend without a valid reason.

  “YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!” All of a sudden, Baekhyun heard a battle cry from behind him as someone leapt onto his back, bringing the both of them crashing to the ground. “Hi, Baek!”

  “What the hell, Park Chanyeol?!” Baekhyun yelled, kicking his friend off when Chanyeol clapped a hand over his mouth. “Shut up, do you want the teachers to hear us?” he hissed.

  “Speak for yourself. Running around shouting like some crazy person…” Baekhyun trailed off as he realized there was something very different about Chanyeol. “What did you do to your hair?!”

  “I cut it and washed off the dye,” came the response as the taller pulled Baekhyun to his feet and started off in the direction of a back door. “Don’t you think I look more handsome with this style?” Chanyeol suddenly stopped and grinned down at Baekhyun, running a hand through his hair and posing.

  “Good lord, no. Your ears look way too big now,” Baekhyun muttered darkly. Truthfully, he did think Chanyeol looked good with the way his ears stuck out. It went well with his psychotic grin and his huge, round eyes, but no way would he ever admit that.

  “The door is locked. How are we going to get in?” Baekhyun folded his arms, waiting for Chanyeol to suggest kicking down the door or something as stupid as that.

  “And that is when Park Chanyeol and his lock picking skills come in handy,” Chanyeol laughed, waving a hairpin in Baekhyun’s face.

~*~ 

  Their footsteps echoed around the quiet corridors as Chanyeol dragged Baekhyun down the dim passageways, illuminated only by the sunlight streaming in through the occasional window. It was eerie, to say the least, the usually bright and noisy corridors now cast in shadows, the only noise coming from their breaths and footsteps. 

  “Yeollie, where are we going?” Baekhyun squinted, trying to make out the signs on the doors they passed. To someone like him, who had no sense of direction, the layout of the school building would always be confusing

  “Oof!” Baekhyun grunted in surprise as he smacked into Chanyeol’s back. “Yeollie, can you not stop so suddenly?”

  Chanyeol looked back at Baekhyun before childishly sticking his tongue out at him. “It’s not my fault, it’s yours. Anyways, we’re here,” Chanyeol twisted the knob and pushed open the heavy wooden door before them to reveal the room Baekhyun recognised as the one he had hidden in one the first day of school.

  Baekhyun stared in confusion at the lone piano in the dim room as Chanyeol pushed him in, the door swinging shut behind them. “Um… What?”

  “Baek….” Chanyeol sighed, shaking his head and face-palming. “What else can you do in a room with only a piano?”

  “Make out?” Baekhyun blurted without a thought and only when he caught sight of Chanyeol raising an eyebrow at him, did he realise what he had just said. Slapping a hand over his mouth, Baekhyun stammered a muffled, “I-ignore what I just said,” before stalking over to the piano, conscious of Chanyeol’s gaze burning into his back.

  “Let’s do this,” Baekhyun said as he flipped up the lid of the piano, but seeing the black and white keys before him, he felt a prick of doubt in his gut. What if Chanyeol was wrong? What if the doctors were right and he really couldn’t play the piano again? After all, doctors were the better choice for judgement.

  But looking at Chanyeol, with hope and determination burning bright in his round eyes, Baekhyun knew that he had to at least try, if not for himself, but for the sake of his friend.

  Baekhyun lightly pressed own on one of the keys and smiled when the deep chime reverberated through the room. How he missed this sound. Closing his eyes, Baekhyun exhaled deeply before attempting to play one of the many songs he had memorised.

  But it was just like before, the first time he had sat in front of this very piano. His right hand could keep up with the lightning fast tempo of the song, flying over the keys so fast that it was a blur. And his left hand? It was the exact opposite. The joints in his fingers were stiff and wouldn’t move fast enough, always many notes behind. But it was when he stumble over several notes did he finally break down.

  “I can’t, Yeollie, the doctors were right. They’re always right, why would I even question them?” He whispered, tears spilling from his eyes. It was time for him to accept that fact.

  “Byun Baekhyun, don’t you dare think you won’t be able to play the piano anymore. Words aren’t set in stone, doctors aren’t always right,” Chanyeol sat beside the smaller boy and tilted his head, gently wiping away the tears with his thumb. “Remember Kidae? The vet said she wouldn’t survive, but she did. If a puppy can do it, so can you, okay?”

  Chanyeol gave Baekhyun a quick squeeze. “You can do it, Baek, but a suggestion if I may?” Start with something simple, not some complicated hocus pocus you were trying to do just now. Maybe try some of those Doh-Re-Mi things?”

  Baekhyun blinked at him. “Doh-Re-Mi things?” he repeated, tilting his head in confusion. “Oh, scales you mean? Park Chanyeol, do you even know a thing about music?”

  “Nope,” Chanyeol chuckled, breaking into a dazzling smile. “My knowledge about music is zero with a capital Z.”

  “Pabo,” Baekhyun smiled slightly, shoving Chanyeol away. “How do you expect me to do anything at all if you’re blocking me?”

~*~

  “Yeollieeeee,” Baekhyun whined, lightly pulling on Chanyeol’s ear. “Wake up, you lazy , I want to show you something.”

  It had already been two hours since they had stepped into the room with the piano and Chanyeol had somehow managed to fall asleep, sprawled on the floor, where he lay now, his long legs taking up most of the walking space and with a very annoyed Baekhyun sitting on his chest, poking his face.

  “Park Chanyeol, wake the hell up now!” Baekhyun shouted, losing his balance and falling off his friend when the said friend sat up, yawning and groaning a “What’s the time, mum?”

  Ignoring Chanyeol’s complaints and pleas to have a few more minutes of sleep, Baekhyun tugged his companion up and pushed him down onto the bench. “Sit.”

  Baekhyun snapped his fingers in front of Chanyeol’s half closed eyes. “Watch, you made me do this.” Flexing his fingers, Baekhyun positioned his hands on the keys in front of him and with his tongue poking out the corner of his mouth, a habit he did whenever he was concentrating, he launched into the simple melody he had practiced countless times not so long ago.

  Baekhyun’s finger glided smoothly over the tune, never once missing a note. When the music slowly faded to a stop, the light sounds echoing around the room, Baekhyun looked up at Chanyeol’s awed face and beamed.

  “You did it, Baek!” Chanyeol suddenly yelled happily, enveloping Baekhyun in a bone crushing hug. “I knew you could do it!”

  “I did it. Thanks, Yeollie,” Baekhyun giggled lightly. At that moment, wrapped in Chanyeol’s hug, Baekhyun felt, for the first time since the accident, a ray of hope.

 


A/N

Sorry I haven't updated in a month, feel free to shoot me >.>

Bah, once again, I feel this chapter makes absolutely no sense /is the worst author alive/

Next update will probably be in two weeks ~

And I also just want to thank everyone who has suscribed, commented and upvoted <3