2.0

Fate and Fade

this is practically a non-update. i just wanted to push the story forward. 

 

♡ 

 

"I want to find my first love," Lu Han says, Korean soft and carefully pronounced. There's the slightest hint of a Chinese accent in there, less prominent than when the yoga instructor from the gym across the road, Zitao, tries to speak it, but enough for Jongin to know that he isn't Korean

"Not from around here, are you?" Jongin asks, even as he opens a cupboard and pulls out a can of tea leaves. He busies himself with pouring out the tea, a nice rich Pu Er. He's always liked Chinese tea, and maybe Lu Han would ease up at the taste of home. Clients seem to like it when he does little things like these. It makes him seem attentive and it reassures clients enough for them to place an exorbitant amount of money in Jongin to find what they lost.

Lu Han shakes his head and stares down at his hands. They are pretty hands with long, thin fingers. "I'm from Beijing, but I went to university here."

One of those Korean majors, probably. Jongin's seen enough of those when he worked at the pork hocks place near Korea University. "Korean fine?" Jongin asks, just out of courtesy, because he doesn't speak Mandarin anyway.

Lu Han nods. "I work as a translator."

Jongin hums and sets a steaming cup of tea in front of Lu Han. Lu Han mirrors Jongin when he brings his own cup up for a whiff, nodding approvingly at his actions. It's proper tea ettique- smell, savour, sip, taste. It's an art as much as wine tasting is. "Pu er," Lu Han says appreciatively. "This is good tea."

"Aged 20 years. My father bought it from Yunnan last spring." Small talk effectively done, it's time to get down to business. He opens the folder already set on the table and gestures for Lu Han to read the lines and lines of fine print. Automatically, his body folds into the business stance, the one he's perfected over the years of convincing customers- right shoulder slightly inclined towards the customer, finger tips pressed lightly together, eyes searching and genuine. It gives off the effect that he cares as much as the customer does, that he's invested in knowing more. Jongin isn't helping the customer; he is working together with the customer to chase what should've been the customer's in the first place. In reality, Jongin could just be thinking about tonight's dinner. No one has been able to tell so far.

"You understand what we do?" A nod from Lu Han. "We charge a basic fee on a hourly basis. The customer pays for all additional expenses- travel, accommodation, if necessary, and other miscellaneous fees outlined here." Jongin uncaps a highlighter and draws it across the line in question. "If you pull out halfway through, or if we can't find your first love within 6 months, you only get half your money back. But don’t worry, our success rate is 99%."

Explanation done, Jongin looks straight into Lu Han's eyes and hopes he conveys what his lips don't say, trust in us, and we'll find your first love.

Lu Han nods again. "Let me think about it."

Jongin bows and sees Lu Han out the door, sending him off with a cheery, "Have a nice day!" after the door swings shut, Jongin pencils in an appointment on Friday for Lu Han. He'll come back.

They always do.

 

 

 

 

 

They meet in a cafe in Cheongdamdong, because he's learned from experience that clients liked it when they sit in a cosy cafe with brick wall and jazz music closing them in. The atmosphere is cosy and lulls clients into a false sense of security, makes them relax enough to spill out their love stories to an almost stranger. Around them, young couples flirt openly with each other over tea and little cakes. Jongin and Lu Han are jarringly out of place in a sea full of lovebirds, but Lu Han seems so relaxed, Jongin suspects he comes to places like these often. He does look like the type of man who sits in cafes all day, reading philosophical novels while sipping on an espresso, oblivious to the admiring stares of the female customers around him.

"Mind if I record this?" Jongin asks, setting the pen shaped recorder on the table.

Lu Han eyes the recorder warily and shakes his head. "No, go ahead."

Jongin jumps straight to the point. Lu Han is paying him by the hour; might as well use it wisely. First consultations are at a discounted rate though. "How long did you date her?"

"Him," Lu Han corrects. He frowns down at his fruit tart, poking the strawberry tart with his fork.

Jongin doesn't miss a beat. "How long did you date him?" He needs to stop generalizing. It's a mental note he files away.

"I didn't."

Jongin his head and exhales loud enough that Lu Han looks up, startled. "Ah, but unrequited first loves ... usually don't turn out well even if I find them."

"I'm not asking for much," Lu Han admits, fingers playing with the rim of his cup. "I don't even know if he's gay."

Okay, so maybe Jongin severely underestimated this client. He runs his finger across the rim of his coffee cup, smearing the leftover foam from where he had a sip. "How did you meet him then?"