1.0

Fate and Fade

 

Everyone remembers their first love.

 

Jongin's first love was the noona next door.

They grew up together, sharing popsicles on hot summer nights and later, when she had been old enough and him much too young, stolen beer and cigarettes. She pushed him against the wall and gave him his first kiss. It was messy- the smell of her cherry lipstick made him gag, their teeth clacked against each other and the way she tugged his hair hurt. She broke off halfway laughing and at loss at what to do, Jongin laughed with her. It was perfect.

He might have been a little too much in what he thought was love.

Then she moved away to America to become a doctor. The first case he took when he opened his agency was for himself, and he found that she has since married another doctor, with one young child. Her family is cute, one of those happy wholesome poster families that go to the beach on Sundays and have ice cream after. He still misses her sometimes.

 

 

 

 

Why does he do what he does?

 

He sells a promise.

The name cards stacked up on his desk read like this:

 

First Love Agency

We find first loves and repair dreams

 

There is no 'we', because Jongin is a one man team, but it sounds more assuring than 'I'. After all, there's a lot of money and hope on the line.

In short, he deals in memories.

 

 

 

 

The abandoned newspaper on the table announces that it's the first day of spring but it’s still unnaturally cold. A robin is perched on the windowsill, pecking away at unseen insects. Jongin pushes the window open and sticks his head out, scaring the bird away. The sun is bright and the blue sky is unmarred by clouds. If he breathes in, he can smell the croissants from the bakery on the corner of the street, tinged with the exhaust from the cars of Seoul.

It's on this day that Jongin meets Lu Han.

 

A knock on the door catches Jongin's attention and he shuts the window. "Come in!"

A blonde haired head pops in, followed by a lanky body, like the unfolding of a jack-in-the-box. "Hello, is this where I can find my first love?"

Jongin puts on his best smile. It’s always good to maintain a nice first impression, especially since most people come in thinking that his services are a joke. "You've come to the right place."

"Oh." The man looks lost for a moment, hovering near the exit with one foot pointed towards the door. His body posture shows that he’s ready to bolt any second now, so Jongin folds himself into the armchair behind his desk and gestures for the man to sit. After a quick glance at the door, the man relents, perching himself stiffly on the edge of the chair opposite Jongin. "I'm Lu Han."

Lu Han is pretty. Even though his muscles are prominent enough to hint at long hours in the gym, there's something about the soft edges of his face that makes him look fragile. This is the face of heartbreak, both for Lu Han himself and for the countless girls that willingly give their hearts to him, only to be rejected because there is only room for one. This is the face of a man who gives his all to a girl who is only interested in his face and will flit to another when she feels bored. These are the faces that bring him the most money.

 

Jongin smiles to himself. This should be an easy case.