Chapter 5

Dig A Little Deeper

the fire alarm in my room keeps ing beeping and i am SO FRUSTRATED WITH IT YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND. BUT MY ROOM HAS AIR CONDITIONING SO I'D RATHER NOT LEAVE IT. so please understand me if this is bad it's just i can't write with this thing going BEEEP. BEEEEEP. BEEEEP. every four ing seconds o m f g

oh and on a second note where the freak did all my lyeol shippers disappear to lmao

On Sunday night, the day before he had to go back to school, Sungyeol fell asleep dreaming.

                It wasn’t like he knew he was, but something was different. He went from laying on his comfortable bed to a dark apartment, occasional lights scattered around the place. There was music blasting from speakers set up in every corner, and people were everywhere. Girls in short mini dresses with red Solo cups, some guys smoking cigarettes and others cornering girls and doing whatever to them.

                Sungyeol couldn’t step back without bumping into another person, so he just stood still and grabbed his chest in fear. This wasn’t even remotely similar to any place he’d ever even dare set foot in. Dreams were supposed to be happy, delightful, they were supposed to represent the places you wanted to be, not here like...this.

                “Sungyeol!” a voice called out from in front of him. “You came!”

                Looking up from the sides, Sungyeol watched as…L? came toward him. He was decked in tight black jeans and a black leather jacket, his hair spiked up as usual.

                “Um, uh, yeah?” Sungyeol tried saying, because he obviously had no clue what he was doing here.

                “Great party, huh?” L asked, oblivious to the other’s complete discomfort. “I mean, everybody’s so wasted, it’s hilarious.”

                “…Wa…sted?” Sungyeol tilted his head a bit, looking around at the people. L was right, they were all drinking something – alcohol. “Aren’t we…aren’t they…is this legal?”

                “Probably not,” L shrugged.

                “…You’re not?”

                “You said you didn’t like underage drinking, remember?” L looked up at Sungyeol, giving him a little smile. “I’d rather not make you disappointed in me.”

                “Oh.” Sungyeol was quiet for a minute, just dwelling in the loud music as he played with his fingers. “What…is this, exactly?”

                “This?” L raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean, this? As in us? Or –“

                “The party,” the taller rushed, because he wasn’t sure what dream-L would ever say about the two of them.

                “Uh, it’s my birthday party?”

                Sungyeol blinked a bit, and all of a sudden the streamers around and the “HAPPY BIRTHDAY L BABY ♥♥♥” in black decorations were so much more obvious and visible. “It’s your birthday?”

                “Isn’t that what I just said?” L laughed, as if Sungyeol was making a joke.

                “Then where’s Myungsoo?”

                All of a sudden, the music came to a halt and everybody in the room stopped moving. If they weren’t already, the guests all turned to face Sungyeol. He looked up once to see a girl striking in close resemblance to his chem. classmate glare at him, judging him with her eyes only.

                “You shouldn’t have said that,” she spat, letting go of her plastic cup until it dropped to the ground, contents spilling everywhere.

                “Said what?” Sungyeol questioned, genuinely confused. “Isn’t it also Myungsoo’s birthday –“

                “It’s always Myungsoo, isn’t it?” L’s voice was cold, completely void of the light feeling he had before. “Myungsoo, Myungsoo, Myungsoo. You don’t even look twice at me because it’s always MYUNGSOO. I work so hard to get you to even think about me twice in a day, but that doesn’t even have to breathe until he’s the only one on your damn mind!!”

                “L, what’s wrong with you –“

                “Don’t ing ask me what’s wrong with me; what’s wrong with you? Myungsoo doesn’t even try to get you to like him and here I am, doing everything I can to be on your to-do list, and you don’t even save me one little spare thought, do you??”

                “I’ve only known you for three days, tops!” Sungyeol hollered, not getting why people were yelling and getting mad at him. “Stop saying who I like and don’t like for Pete’s sake, just stop! You don’t know what goes on in my head, you don’t know what I think every day! I could be constantly dreaming of you and you’d never know it because you’re just screaming at me like I’m some little , and –“

                “Don’t lie to yourself,” the chem. girl interrupted, her voice sheer as she walked in between the two of them. “You’re just making it worse for everyone.”

                “I don’t even know what I’m doing! You can’t just –“

                Sungyeol didn’t even have to think twice before he was gone, not in the dark apartment with L and his classmate and all the other people but in a rather more…elevated place.

                The room was painted a sky blue color all around, and he couldn’t see anything until he turned to his left. On there, there was a large glass window that took up about half of the entire wall. Next to it was a yellow door, and as Sungyeol went closer to the door, he looked through the window.

                There was another room there, something that resembled a children’s daycare center. It had a light atmosphere and the colors were gentle and soft, a large contrast to the previous place Sungyeol had been in. There were bookshelves, all in bright pastel colors, around the room with a large, ellipse-shaped pink mat in the center that covered practically the entire floor.

                Shrugging, Sungyeol went to the doorknob and opened it to hear music – soft, piano playing music. He walked further in between the bookshelves to hear some kids laughing, and when he finally reached the mat, he realized there was more than what he’d seen through the glass.

                There were about ten little kids, toddlers more of, playing around with toys and blocks and books. They were running around the place, some sitting on the floor, some on the tables, others randomly placed, and they were all communicating with one another and giggling and having so much fun.

                On the top of the pink matt was a small orange chair, and on it was Myungsoo, dressed in navy blue jeans and a black button-up. His light brown hair softly fell over his forehead and he smiled down, because he was reading a book to a little boy sitting on his lap.               

                “‘And they lived happily…ever…after’,” he finished, closing the book slowly as the little boy got off him. “Now you go on and play, okay?”

                The toddler nodded happily, taking the book from Myungsoo’s hand as he ran away. The teenager grinned at the boy’s back, then up at Sungyeol.

                “It’s about time you came!” he said, motioning for Sungyeol to sit down on the ground beside his chair. “For I second I thought I’d have to spend my birthday baby-sitting kids by myself!”

                Sungyeol’s eyes opened in awe as he looked up at the walls, noticing the “IT’S HYUNG’S BIRTHDAY!♥” and the “IT’S OPPA’S BIRTHDAY!♥” signs pasted up for the first time. This couldn’t be that coincidental.

                “Who…are all they?”

                “I’m really happy you came,” Myungsoo continued, looking down at Sungyeol as the older sat himself down on the ground, completely ignoring the other’s question. “For a second I thought you’d gone off to L’s party instead, and that made me really sad.”

                “…Oh…really?” Sungyeol said nervously, seriously not sure how to react to this.

                “Yeah. L told me that nobody would come, but look at all the kids that came!”

                “…Yeah…hahahaha…so many kids…”

                “And you too, obviously,” Myungsoo said a little creepily. “I mean, it would being trapped here by myself with just little kids for eternity.”

                “Hahahahaha, totally, like – wait what, trapped here for eternity, what?”

                “Don’t you wanna be stuck with me forever?” Myungsoo grinned, opening his arms wide. Dammit, he knew that Sungyeol wasn’t aware of this eternity thing, how could he –

                “Nope, um, I mean, that’s kinda a long time, and I’m not too sure I could really do that.” Sungyeol’s mind flashed back to the party he’d been in beforehand, L’s birthday party. Maybe if he’d hadn’t said anything then he could’ve stayed and learned what it was like to get drunk for the first time without actually getting drunk and –

                “You’re regretting wanting me to show up, aren’t you?”

               

It was exactly 5:45 AM when Sungyeol shot out of bed due to his blaring alarm. He blinked a little to get used to the darkness, then hit his head with the heel of his right hand.

                Weirdest dream ever, Sungyeol thought. Weirdest. Dream. Ever.

 

The first person that Sungyeol thought of meeting that morning when he came to school was Myungsoo, who was placed on the bench in front of the building where he’d been left to get picked up a while ago.

                “Can I talk to you?” Sungyeol asked nervously, his fingers twitching against each other as he held his bag tightly in his lap.

                “Are you okay?” Myungsoo scrunched his eyebrows together, turning so that his full attention was on the other. “You look really scared.”

                “Okay, help me out here,” Sungyeol rushed. “What do you know about dreams?”

                “Um…they’re your subconscious state of mind?” the shorter tried. “They tell you a lot of things about yourself? They’re supposed to help you cope with past occurrences, uh…sometimes they’re, like, predictions of the future –“

                “Oh !”

                Myungsoo blinked at the sudden interruption, biting on his tongue. “Um...why? What happened, exactly?”

                Sungyeol gulped, not sure what to do other than grab onto both of Myungsoo’s shoulders, forcing them to look eye-in-eye. “You swear to me, on your life, Kim Myungsoo, that you will never, ever lock me in a room full of little children and books and you for eternity.”

                “U-ummmm…I would never do that?” Myungsoo screeched. “What exactly…did you dream?”

                There was a long silence until Sungyeol let go of his hold on the other, breathing in and out deeply and slowly. “It was really weird. And I don’t know if I should tell you because you might think I’m seriously insane.”

                “Don’t worry,” Myungsoo reassured, trying to get back into his mental state of mind after Sungyeol’s freak out. “I’m pretty sure I’ve heard worse.”

                “It’s not exactly weird, it’s more – wait.” Sungyeol looked away from his hands and around the school, where there were still students coming. “Where’s L?”

                Myungsoo’s lips twitched down a bit before they rose up again and he answered, “I don’t really know. He left super early this morning, before he could even eat the breakfast that I made him…he said he had somewhere to go.”

                “Oh.” Sungyeol pushed himself back until he was sitting completely against the wall. “Well, he was in my dream. And so were you.”

                “…I kinda figured that out,” Myungsoo nodded. “And I was probably really scary?”

                “I prefer different?”

                “Well, if it was a different that you didn’t like, I’d rather not be that in real life.”

 

It wasn’t until Sungyeol was in his own, regular seat and class was about half an hour in when L came pushing himself into the classroom, not even looking at the teacher as he let out a quick, “Sorry I’m late.”

                “Is there a reasoning to this, L?” Sunggyu looked up from his desk, watching as the student took a seat in one of the back empty classes. “I usually permit a tardy, but this is actually really late.”

                “I’m new, I got lost,” L responded, tossing his backpack lazily to the ground.

                Sunggyu raised an eyebrow, because obviously it wasn’t possible to be half an hour late because of getting lost, but he let it slide anyways.

                “Take out your homework, then. We’ll figure this out after class.”

                Sungyeol allowed himself to peek just behind to catch L giving him a glance, then grabbing down to open his bag. From beside him, a girl whispered, “He is so hot.”

                Her friend, just directly behind Sungyeol, actually, leaned forward to the first girl and hissed back, “Ugh, if this dork wasn’t here, maybe L would be there instead…”

                Knowing that the girls were purposely talking for him to have no choice but eavesdrop, Sungyeol bent down to grab his phone from his backpack, along with a set of earphones attached to it. Sunggyu-saeng usually didn’t mind it if he didn’t bother or distract anybody else.

                Sungyeol let himself be lost in the sound of soft, gentle piano sounds accompanied by the playing of a mellow guitar. He kept his mind rolling and his hand working, getting through the worksheet a lot faster than he’d originally expected to.

                “Yah. Lee Sungyeol.”

                Pulling out his earphones with great precaution (they were expensive, alright?), Sungyeol looked up to find his teacher glaring at him.

                “Class is over. Go on your break, already.” Sunggyu then looked behind him, nodding at the door. “And I think somebody’s waiting for you.”

                “Oh –“ Sungyeol grabbed his stuff and looked over at the direction his teacher had been previously motioning to, only to find the twin he didn’t really…want there. “Thanks, saeng. I’ll see you tomorrow?”

                Sunggyu gave him an idle wave, going back to his desk and settling down with his phone in hand, not really caring what his last student did since he’d already spoken to L.

                When Sungyeol was done packing, he walked over to the door and looked over at his…friend? “Hey…”

                L had a hardened gaze on, not answering as he turned his head over to where the exit doors were, and started walking.

                “Hey –“ Sungyeol quickly caught up, standing in the same step stride as the other. “Why were you so late today?”

                “Why, did you miss me?” L stopped walking to turn and look over at Sungyeol, an obviously cocky grin placed on his lips. “Kidding, I had to bring my dad’s lunch to his office. He left it at home.”

                “Oh.” Sungyeol scrunched his nose up, continuing to walk outside. “I expected something more intense?”

                “Sorry my life isn’t eventful enough for you,” L said.

                “No, that wasn’t it,” Sungyeol shook his head as he pushed open the door. “You seem mad? No, not mad, maybe…frustrated?”

                L paused a bit, biting his tongue as he walked out onto the cement. “Is it that obvious?”

                “…Are you really?”

                “It’s just…” He scratched his right ear, looking up at the sky, then back at Sungyeol. “It’s really stupid. Well, I think so at least.”

                “I have time.”

                “You always do,” L said in a way that made Sungyeol feel a tad more comfortable. “Let’s go take a walk? I need to vent it out somehow.”

                “We’re walking,” Sungyeol pointed out.

                “It’s my dad,” L continued. “It’s so cliché, I know, and it’s so stupid and everything…but it’s my dad.”

                “That’s your problem?”

                “You won’t judge?”

                Sungyeol gave him a little stare, saying, “I’m always going to judge you, so it doesn’t even matter. Just keep talking, I’m listening.”

                L shrugged, turning up to look at the sky then back down as he kept walking. “So the thing is, when I grow up…I wanna be a photographer.”

                There was a split second of silence, and then Sungyeol said, “I really was not expecting that.”

                “Yeah, I don’t think anybody does,” L laughed. “I really like taking pictures of things. They’re like…the little memoirs of the past that your mind can’t keep track of, and when you see photos, they pretty much bring up an entire new world.”

                Nodding understandingly, Sungyeol asked, “But what’s that got to do with your issues? You seem pretty happy.”

                “Not really,” L sighed. “My parents – my dad, more of, has his mind set of me either being a doctor, or a lawyer, or an engineer, of a successful businessman like he is, so he thinks that photography is just like this waste of time, it’s a worthless hobby, and either way, I wouldn’t get too far doing it.”

                He looked up at Sungyeol, the corner of his bottom lip caught between his teeth. “This morning, actually, my mom was tending to the flowers that the people in the house before us planted. They were really pretty and everything, so I went to grab my camera and take a picture of them. But then my dad called, my mom gave me the lunch, I ran there. Met him. Forgot that I still had my camera in hand – somehow, because I’m stupid.”

                “Agreed,” Sungyeol murmured, albeit sarcastically just to hopefully lighten up the mood.

                “The he lectured me for about half an hour on why taking pictures was going to make me end up as a hobo and then he took my camera and then he forced me to walk to school late.”

                Sungyeol stared down at his toes as he kept walking, trying to figure out what it would be like if his parents wouldn’t allow him to pursue his career in acting (they probably wouldn’t, but with enough persuasion, his parents would probably let him since they were pretty keen on letting him be happy).

                “I’m sorry…”

                “What for? I needed to say something about that.” L shrugged for the millionth time. “It just because every time he yells at me for taking pictures 24/7, he always just brings up Myungsoo. ‘Oh you see, Myungsoo does his homework and then studies for upcoming tests, why can’t you do that?’ ‘Myungsoo listened to us when we told him to stop drawing nonsense things, why won’t you listen to us about this?’ And it just gets so frustrating. What doesn’t he get about me wanting to follow my dreams? Aren’t you supposed to do what you’re passionate about?”

                “So what’s your dream then?” Sungyeol asked with a lopsided grin in hopes that L would cool down a bit. Admittedly, he was easier to be around when he wasn’t mad. “Tell me about that instead.”

                “You really wanna hear it?”

                “I told you, I’m listening, right?”

                “I wanna create my own photo book,” L answered, his irritated face turning into a rather joyous one. “Have it sold out in the first week, orders just flooding in. Call it…L’s Bravo Viewtiful.”

                Sungyeol half choked on his saliva as he stared incredulously at the other. “What the freak is that?”

                “I don’t know, it’s English, but it sounds pretty cool, right?” L grinned, the whites of his teeth poking out by the slightest bit. “There would be pictures of everything – people, beaches, even you, if you’d let me.”

                “I think I fall under the category of people.”

                “No, I’m pretty sure you deserve your own category.” L took the initiative of starting to walk again, but this time turning around so that they were heading back to the school in time for the bell to ring, signaling the end of break. “If I ever – no, when I get my camera back, I’ll take as many pictures of you as I can.”

 

“…I’ll take as many pictures of you as I can!”

                Myungsoo stood behind the wall, frozen as he forced himself not to look beyond it. He knew that voice, it sounded nearly exactly like his in the first place.

                “That just makes you seem creepy,” another person, one with a high voice, giggled. “Don’t do that. There are so much better things to take photos of – how about the creek down the street? I saw it and thought it was the most gorgeous thing in the world!”

                Sungjong. It was Sungjong’s voice, Myungsoo could recognize it anywhere.

                “But you’re the most gorgeous thing in the world,” L insisted, and that made Myungsoo want to throw everything he didn’t even eat yet up. “So the only thing I wanna take a picture of is you.”

                He knew what they were talking about – the camera that Myungsoo and L’s dad had bought for the younger twin during a business trip to Canada. A simple digital camera, but it could capture almost anything perfectly – for example, Sungjong.

                Ignoring the clenching, terrible feeling in his chest-stomach area, Myungsoo discarded his position behind the wall and ran back into the house and up into his shared bedroom with L. He didn’t even have to think twice before rummaging through his desk and taking half-sketched, half-drawn portraits from his desk, throwing them all relentlessly into the trash can.

                “What’s the point of drawing Sungjong’s beauty for him,” Myungsoo muttered, not looking even once at his carefully drafted drawings. “L can always take photos. They’ll turn out perfect, no damn doubt about that. What can I do? Take twelve days to just draw his lips?”

                It wasn’t long until everything was tossed away, and Myungsoo heard a knocking against his door frame.

                “Myungsoo? Is something the matter?” his dad asked him when he saw that his son finally looked up. “I saw you running upstairs and you looked pretty upset.”

                Without thinking, Myungsoo breathed in and hoped that maybe his dad saw him throw the drawings because he knew how much his parents hated him drawing – and maybe this would bring his dad on his side a bit.

                “Do you remember the camera you bought L a few weeks back?”

                “Yes, how could I forget? He loves that thing.” His dad was pretty proud, leaning against the doorway with his arms crossed.

                “That’s the point, Appa. He loves it too much. It’s all he does now, take pictures – he doesn’t even do his homework anymore! He just takes pictures of everything and then goes to edit them and resize them and  perfect them.”

                Okay, so maybe Myungsoo was exaggerating a bit. But seriously, he was high off of jealousy. What did you expect him to do?

                His dad’s eyebrows creased together, and he stood up straight. “What do you mean by that?”

                “He totally neglects everything now that he has a camera,” Myungsoo continued despite his conscience telling him to stop. “And he even says he’ll go to a college majoring in photography. Appa, you can’t get a career in photography, do you know how impossible that is? If he keeps going with this thought in his head, he won’t get anywhere!”

 

 

 

/waves awkwardly

hey guise. no but really, talking on a serious note, it's true. i remember wanting to be an author soooo bad in like the 3rd grade but my parents were being all TF WHAT KIND OF DREAM IS THAT THAT'S STUPID YOU NEED TO BE A DOCTOR, NO YOU CAN'T EVEN BE A LAWYER. BE A PHARMACIST. OR AN OPTOMETRIST. WHERE TF DID YOU GET AN AUTHOR FROM????? YOU WON'T GET ANY MONEY OUT OF THAT AND YOU WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO LIVE!!!! but obvi i still write but yeah lmao it's not a dream anymore to be a published author 

but it was actually my sister that got my parents hating on my dream AND SHE WAS LIKE WHAT 6 AT THE TIME?? but yeah we were discussing how she pretty much ruined my life by being born and that came up which then got me into incorporating that into this story

i was trying to figure out who i wanted to be the photographer but then i was like DUH L because after all it IS "L's Bravo Viewtiful" so yeah. 

 

no but going back to my first a/n

what happened to all the lyeol shippers. i remember when i started writing this and then there were like NO myungyeol shippers at ALL lmao 

but the dream you guise

keep that dream in mind

it doesn't matter if it comes true or not (huehuehuehuehue) but just keep it in mind, ayt? i wrote it for a reason

(no i didn't i actually was falling asleep trying to figure out what to write and thinking "hey i should write what's in my dream" and then i was like "LIGHTBULLLLLLLLLB why not write about a dream so yeah that happened)

 

ok i think i blabbed enough sorry guise just wanted to say that <3333 i love you! sorry :(( 

but seriously, lyeol or myungyeol?

[[c:16]]