Chapter 4

Dig A Little Deeper

it's like 12:08 am rn and i have finals tomorrow and i just bombed my science final today (yesterday?) with a D so i'm not feeling too particulary hot so idk why i'm writing, i'm not in a mental state to SO THIS MIGHT OK BYE

At the end, Sungyeol had to walk L home in the decently cold weather, having left his bike locked to the tree beside the lake. The single bag of groceries was still in hand, though, and he had to lug it all the way to some unknown neighborhood of the town.

                “I hate you,” L glowered from his side, pushing back strands of wet hair as he shivered a bit, walking with the little strength he had.

                “It was worth it,” Sungyeol shrugged, a playful grin on his lips. “Just be glad it’s not winter or you’d be dying from pneumonia.”

                “You’d probably be cruel enough to do the same thing when it snows.”

                Sungyeol pondered about it for a second before sticking his tongue out. “How’d you guess?”

                L was about to say something about seriously disliking the other when he stopped, holding himself back. Because he realized, he didn’t really dislike Sungyeol – not at all, the complete opposite more of – and his feelings were never anything he liked joking about.

                There were a few seconds of complete silence between the two, L just arguing with himself about nonsense feelings and Sungyeol awkwardly trying to make himself drown into all this. It wasn’t until the older decided to start another conversation that L interrupted him, pointing to a decently large house on his right.

                “My stop,” the twin side-grinned, nodding up towards the place. “I don’t think anybody’s home right now, so you can come in if you want.”

                “What, why would I want to go in for –“

                “Oh, I think Myung’s home,” L interrupted, not having heard Sungyeol as he glanced up into the open window from the room on the far left corner.

                “I can stay for a few minutes,” Sungyeol concluded, subconsciously grinning as he followed L up the pathway to the front door. “I’ve always wanted to see what your room looked like.”

                “Eh, I share one with Myung so it’s always neat,” L answered, pushing the door open with a wet key retrieved from his pocket. “He’s a neat freak, seriously, but it’s only because he’s a hoarder too. Like, anything he likes, he’ll buy an entire load full of. Take last year as an example, he was all into fedora hats so he bought enough to feed an entire starving country.”

                Before Sungyeol could interrupt and say something along the lines of I don’t think fedora hats can feed starving countries, he found himself inside the house with the door locked close, listening to the sound of L’s footsteps as he ran up the stairs.

                “Make yourself comfy!” L screamed from the top of his lungs. “I’ll be finished in a second!!”

                “Well, frankly put, I don’t care,” Sungyeol muttered to himself before settling his bag of groceries to the side on the brown coffee table beside a floral printed cough (coughcoughKimKardashiancoughcough). “So this is where Kim Myungsoo lives…”

                He looked around the house, taking in the wooden-themed living room to the right and the dinner table to the left. There were sliding doors beside the table that led to what Sungyeol believed to be the kitchen, and if he walked further until he was beside the staircase, he could see that deep into there, there was the family room.

                It wasn’t long until Sungyeol was finally curious as to what Myungsoo and L’s bedroom looked like, so he slowly began to creep up the stairs in his totally and completely non-creepy fashion. When he reached the top, he saw one door that was slightly ajar right ahead of him and another to his right, the sound of water splashing coming from it.

                Shivering, he opted to push the door that was already open to stare around the large, rectangular room. From where he was standing, he could see a messily made bed with a blue-yellow-white plaid covering and a little table at the end of it. On the right of the end of the bed, there was a black painted wall with a window in the center of it. As his eyes kept trailing it, he could see that against the wall his body was next to, was another bed in black covering.

                “…Hey?” an obviously nervous voice said from the other side of the room.

                Sungyeol’s eye line immediately turned to where Myungsoo was sitting on the desk directly across from the stand beside the plaid bed. He was wearing navy blue pajama pants and an white t-shirt, his legs crossed up on the chair.

                “Oh, hi,” Sungyeol greeted awkwardly, not sure what to say after he’d completely and bluntly looked through the entire room. “Er…did your brother tell you I was here?”

                “No, it’s a pleasant surprise I guess,” Myungsoo, settling his pencil down to bring his legs to the ground and turn his body to Sungyeol. “So L was…with you?”

                “He was at the river.” Sungyeol decided he was welcomed enough to walk into the room, so he did, slowly letting the door shut as he walked in. “I was buying stuff for my mom and I saw him there…and I may or may not have shoved him into the water so I may or may not have had to walk him home  when he was soaking wet.”

                Sungyeol had thought on instinct that Myungsoo would laugh at his statement, but instead the boy just gave him a little smile and nodded. “That’s nice.”

                Reciprocating his nod, Sungyeol walked over to where Myungsoo was sitting. “So…doing homework on a Saturday morning?”

                “Yeah,” the other shrugged. “It’s not like I have anything better to do.”

                 “But…your brother…” Sungyeol nodded over to the other desk, which was completely and totally obliterated with papers and pencils and everything, basically.

                “L hates doing homework,” Myungsoo snorted. “He hates anything school related. He was basically illiterate until the third grade, seriously.”

                “…Then how – ah…”

                Myungsoo just raised his eyebrows and shrugged. “I mean, it went both ways. By…well, doing his homework, I learned to forge signatures.”

                “And how is that supposed to be a good thing?” Sungyeol asked humorously, sitting down on the stand in front of the bed.

                Swerving his chair over to face Sungyeol, Myungsoo answered, “It comes in handy when you’re faking your parents’ autographs. Especially when you don’t want to practice playing the violin.”

                “Practice records!!” Sungyeol cried, pointing at Myungsoo. “I remember those! In the fourth grade, we were forced to play an instrument. Damn, I remember that! I only chose the violin because it played the E string that annoyed my parents to death.”

                “How did I know you were going to say that?” Myungsoo grinned. “I actually gave up midway and started the guitar instead, so…”

                “Oh, you play the guitar?”

                “L does too,” Myungsoo replied, “and he’s a lot better than I am, so I don’t really…get that much recognition in my family for it? Yeah. So if you do ask anybody, I’ve only gotten crappy lessons from cello teachers in the elementary school.”

                “If it makes you feel any better, none of my family knows I play the drums. Or that I quit the violin. In fact, now that I think about it, they don’t really know anything about me anymore…”

                “Oh you’re lying, they have to know something.”

                “They only ask things from me,” Sungyeol waved away. “Last week my mom asked me when my first day of middle school was starting, because she didn’t want her little boy growing up too fast! She was too busy cooing over me so I couldn’t tell her that I was actually halfway through high school.”

                “…Are you sure she wasn’t…drunk?”

                “Drunk off of life, if that’s what you mean.”

                “…That actually wasn’t what I meant, but you know what, that works too.” Myungsoo gave himself two seconds before laughing at his own reply, bringing his legs back up so he could put them in a criss-cross position.

                “Well, to be fair –“

                “So you were in my room the entire time?” an annoyingly familiar voice spoke out from the doorway. “I should’ve expected that, obviously – oh, hey Myung…”

                As L pushed the door open, he had caught sight of his older brother cutely laughing with his crush, and they were, what? four inches apart?

                “Oh, yeah, I was just doing homework,” Myungsoo replied hurriedly, pushing himself back so that he was facing his work. Sungyeol stared a bit in amused rejection, then coughed.

                “Sure,” L nodded, giving his twin a cocky smile. “So I’m going downstairs to heat up cookies – Sungyeol, c’mon. You want me to bring you up any, Myung?”

                Myungsoo, sitting still, shook his head firmly. “I’m okay. Thanks, though.”

                The older’s tone of voice told Sungyeol something that didn’t need to be said aloud, so instead of refusing like he’d initially decided to do, he stood up and followed L out of the bedroom.

                “He likes starting his homework early,” L explained as they jumped down the stairs together. “I don’t really get why, since he doesn’t really like going out to begin with. So logically, he should spend the entire weekend doing homework, ya know what I mean?”

                “Uh, not really, but I’m gonna nod my head like I understand anyways,” Sungyeol answered with a confident voice, nodding his head.

                “You’re seriously adorable,” L laughed (it was kind of scary how similar his laugh was to Myungsoo’s, Sungyeol noticed), reaching pack to pat Sungyeol’s head.

 

“This will not be like Sungjong again, this will not be like Sungjong again, this will not be like Sungjong again,” Myungsoo repeated over and over and over again to himself when his room was completely void of any humans beside himself.

                He let his head drop down and his the padding of homework paper, then lifting it back up. “You cannot like him, Kim Myungsoo. You cannot. L likes Sungyeol. And L always gets what he wants. And you’re okay with that, right? Right.”

                Myungsoo honestly felt a little out of the average sanity level talking to himself like that, but he found that it was a great coping mechanism to any major issue since, well, he never really had anybody else to say those things that were needed to him. After all, what was the point of having others around if you had yourself?

                (Except L. L didn’t count, because L was like Myungsoo’s other half and they could never be separated.

                Which also explained why L had to get everything he wanted, because if he didn’t then he would just drop Myungsoo like  rotten cookie. And then who would Myungsoo be left with? No one.)

 

“You said your mom made these?”

                “But I reheated them, so technically they’re my making too,” L pointed out, taking a bite of the cookie.

                “Oh. Totally. Your reheating skills just amaze me,” Sungyeol awed sarcastically.

                Instead of having his usual witty remark back, L just smiled and walked to the kitchen table, grabbing what looked like a yellow-pink envelope from the bin that was holding letters.

                “What’s that?” Sungyeol asked curiously, picking off a chocolate chip to throw into his mouth.

                “It’s an invite,” L explained. He pulled himself up to sit on the counter, taking the card out of the envelope. “For next Saturday, actually, a week from today. You free?”

                “Why?” the other asked cautiously.

                “My dad’s work is giving him a welcome-to-the-place party,” L shrugged. “I mean, it’s at this really intense company place and my dad managed to get in a position where he was close to the president, so it’s kinda a big deal and all that. There’s enough seats at the restaurant – where it’s being held, by the way – for four people, so me, my parents, and you. You could be my date, just sayin’. The boss’s son is actually gay, and he has a boyfriend that the dad’s perfectly fine with, so it might even score my dad some appreciation points.”

                Sungyeol, however, wasn’t caught by the subtle asking out, but rather at the “there’s enough seats at the restaurant – where it’s being held, by the way – for four people, so me, my parents, and you”.

                “…What about…your brother?”

                “Myungsoo?” L half-snorted half-laughed, then finished. “I mean, I totally love Myung and it’d be amazing if he could come, but you know him. He can’t go to a public place with over a 10-people-that-are-strangers count that isn’t school without freaking out.”    

                “…Did you even ask him?” Sungyeol tried. “Maybe he’d like to go…since, you know it’s for his dad and everything...”

                “I tried, but Mom insisted that it’d be better if we didn’t. She said he’d feel pressured to go, and when he went he’d have an awful time and just end up sitting in the corner crying whenever another human being came into physical contact with him.”

                “…So he’s just gonna be staying at home?”

                “…Well, yeah,” L answered, not sure what the other was getting at.

                “The entire night?”

                “Well, from afternoon to maybe early in the morning? It’s going to last a long time, I know for sure,” L said. What was going on with Sungyeol?

                “Then, um, I’m not too sure I can make it,” Sungyeol randomly broke out quite unapologetically. “I think I might have…plans? that day. Yeah. Sorry…”

                “No, it’s okay,” L replied slowly, watching through squinted eyes as his friend happily chewed on the cookie.

                Seriously, what was he thinking?

 

 

do you know what sungyeol's thinking

because i might

but i ain't telling you

though you already probably know.

is it obvious yet who sungyeol prefers

yes? no? well eh i tried putting it in there somewhere but if it didn't work fml i'm failing my classes anyways might as well fail with this too

/sobs no but really guise

but let me tell you this, you know how unpredictable these things can be

lol i lied they're actually really predictable but just bear with me here, because since i don't know the ending i doubt you guise do either

ok yeah i'm going to bed now after i reply to comments lmao

wow!! thank you for all the 88 subs, i wasn't expecting that many :DD i didn't even score that high on my final orz (MY GRADE DROPPED 8% WHO WANTS TO KILL ME NOW) ♥ so ily guise!! <33 all the subbers and upvoters too, you are all amazing :))

[[c:12]]