Chapter 3

Dig A Little Deeper

 

ok so the thing is after my flashdrive crashed on me WITH THE NEW CHAPTERS OF THIS STORY i had to rewrite everything but then i thought yay let's fool around a bit with the original plotline and i didn't know what happened but then this was born. i'm continuing on with my plotline that i originally had in mind before my myungjong-ljong plotline which many of you would not be too happy with but I'M SORRY OK IT'S JUST I HATE REWRITING WHAT I'VE WRITTEN BEFORE BECAUSE IT MAKES ME COMPARE PAST AUTHOR-ME TO PRESENT AUTHOR-ME and i just hate that so much D; so yeah. thas all. 

When Myungsoo finally woke up, he noticed from the clock hanging above the doorway that it was already 9 AM. On instinct, he glanced over to his brother’s bed to see that the covers had been messily thrown off and nobody was laying there.

                It’s Saturday, silly, Myungsoo thought, turning over on his side to stare at the white wall. He heard nothing and, now, could see nothing. His parents had left early on in the morning for work, which he and L had been used to since the beginning of their childhood, and L…L was probably off somewhere like he usually was, not wanting to get disturbed by anything or anybody.

                As Myungsoo let his fingers trace nonsense shapes on the wall, his mind flashed back to yesterday afternoon, the not-even conversation he’d had with his twin brother before the left to eat cookies. Why…there was a reason why it was so familiar, he just couldn’t figure out why.

                It only took a spare minute when he closed his eyes and reopened them to figure out and remember exactly what it was that was so similar – and that memory didn’t make him smile at all.

 

It was the summer before high school when Lee Sungjong had moved into his aunt’s house, the one right next door to where Myungsoo and L were living. He was different, to anybody that ever say him living in the city, because he just was. And no matter how stupid that reason was, it was reason enough because the person that was being explained was Lee Sungjong.

                He wasn’t just a breath of fresh air to the crime-inflicted city. He was like an entire new species, a new dimension that nobody had ever sought out before. Perfection, that’s what he was, perfection being personified. There was no other way to explain him.

                Lee Sungjong wasn’t anything you’d expect ‘perfection’ to be, though. He was like a ball of sass, a jumble of everything you didn’t want to mess with because he was everything you couldn’t be. Everybody knew where limits stopped for dreams, and after they met Sungjong, they knew that where he was, was even beyond that limit.

                That seems like the exact definition of perfection, though, but that just wasn’t how he was. It would be hard, much too hard, to ever put the exact terms of him down into words. He is Lee Sungjong, and that’s where everything stopped.

                Strange enough, it was Myungsoo who had met Sungjong first, and it was Myungsoo who had fallen for Sungjong first. And Sungjong would’ve fallen for him too, if only L didn’t ing exist.

                “The only hot guys I’ve seen in this place so far are the ones running around with guns in their hands,” a voice spoke up from across the garden one day when Myungsoo was sitting in the backyard reading a book on the ground. “I didn’t expect to find one with a novel.”

                Myungsoo looked up, expecting to find one of those s who dedicated every minute of their lifetime making his miserable. But instead, he found a different kind of , maybe even a good one.

                The person was leaning against the wooden fence that separated the two backyards, his head tilted to the right as he watched Myungsoo with sharp eyes. He had a very enhanced jaw line and, not surprisingly, a perfect face.

                “I, uh, don’t really like going out that much,” Myungsoo nervously spoke up, “so I kinda…you know, travel into my books instead.”

                The boy laughed, and Myungsoo thought it was one of the most marvelous things he’d ever heard. “That’s so corny, it might just be the sweetest thing I’ve ever heard. I’m Lee Sungjong, by the way. You?”

                “Kim Myungsoo,” Myungsoo shrugged back. He lifted his body off the grass to sit criss-cross with the book in his lap, and he faced Sungjong. “Do you like it here so far?”

                “Like I said, all the hot guys I see are the ones off in shooting battles with each other,” Sungjong replied. “It’s an interesting place.”

                “Aha, you get used to it after a while,” the other smiled. “I mean, personally, I haven’t gotten used to it and I’ve been living here my entire life, but you know, everybody’s a little different –“

                “MYUNGSOOOOO! DINNER!” a female voice screamed from the inside.

                Myungsoo hurriedly stood up, grabbing his book and bowing slightly to Sungjong. “I hafta go now, see you later?”

                “Definitely,” Sungjong nodded back, and he just stood in that same spot observing until Myungsoo disappeared along with the sun.

 

Myungsoo hadn’t seen Sungjong for weeks after that day, but L did. And what killed Myungsoo inside wasn’t the fact that L got to see Sungjong, but it was the fact that his brother was there to protect the boy during his most vulnerable state.

                Although Myungsoo hadn’t found out until weeks later, L found out that very day. He found Sungjong crying beneath a tree and that’s when the younger twin discovered the real reason why Sungjong moved in with his aunt.

                His parents, both of them, were abusive and completely the opposite of what true parents should’ve acted like. His aunt, upon discovering this, fought for the custody of her nephew and won – but not for so long.

                The police couldn’t find any substantial evidence tying Sungjong’s parents to the claim, so the couple could, lawfully, have their son back. And that was the entire reason to why Sungjong was just dying by himself beneath that damn tree, because he would have to go back to his parents who threw him around for the fun of it.

                They say you should never make promises when you’re happy and decisions when you’re angry, but what if you’re in the most dreadful emotion where before someone even touched you, you crashed from the mere thought that instead of a touch, it would be a punch?

                Because somehow, that’s where L and Sungjong’s love blossomed from. A meeting between a disoriented boy and another boy who thought his birth was completely and totally unwanted. Love’s supposed to come in weird ways, and L and Sungjong’s fell into that definition almost exactly.

                Myungsoo forced himself not to question their relationship, so he never did. He never knew what was going on, he only knew that it broke his heart every time he saw them happy together. Whether or not Sungjong had ever even thought about him, he would never have the knowledge of satisfaction of it. He didn’t know how their love worked, he didn’t know what they did together, he didn’t even know why the those two could even be remotely compatible until a set amount of time later.

                The day he discovered how exactly deep L’s love for Sungjong was written on a newspaper, a clipping of the article folded into millionths and taped beneath his brother’s table.

                Flight 118, the plane sending Sungjong back home, had crashed with no known survivors. Lee Sungjong was dead within the span of four minutes, and Myungsoo couldn’t believe it.

                The two brothers never once again talked about that very important person in both of their lives, and they could never find the right time to anyways. It was hard, and not just because Sungjong was dead.

                It was because they both loved him, and they both knew that. The hour before Sungjong’s flight, Myungsoo had raced to the airport and confessed every ounce of love he had for the boy. Myungsoo knew that he and L were in a relationship with one another, but that didn’t stop him from making his speech.

                Myungsoo had ran home fast enough to catch a bit of L’s phone conversation with Sungjong before Sungjong boarded the plane. The boy was telling him, telling L, everything that Myungsoo had confessed to him. And it was only a matter of time before L was cussing and cursing everything in existence, throwing flower pots and his body onto the couch.

                Sungjong had actually broken up with him in that phone call, said that after Myungsoo confessed, he wasn’t sure if his romantic feelings stopped at just L. Because it was also Myungsoo he’d fallen for first, that day when the boy was laying in the grass reading books like they were his life.

                But Sungjong never had gotten a chance to choose because he died. And L’s last memory of Sungjong wasn’t even the last kiss they’d had before the younger departed for the airport by car, it was a lame phone call saying that they were breaking up because Sungjong might have feelings for his twin brother.

               

Myungsoo let his hand drop from the wall, pushing away a cursed tear as his fingers grazed his cheek. That’s when he remembered, other than their hair, attitude, mind, and way of dressing, there was in fact a difference between him and L.

                On his cheek, there was a dimple that was only shown when he smiled as wide as he could, a dimple that L didn’t have. At first, he thought it was a good difference, but that’s when he remembered – dimples were actually defects in the muscle.

                So maybe he was just a defect in humanity.

 

“Well, this was the last place I expected to find you at.”

                L looked up with a humorous smile, knowing that voice exactly. “I found it yesterday, actually, when we moved here. I thought it was nice.”

                Sungyeol dropped his bike beside the rock, climbing down to get into a comfortable position next to L.

                They were on the grass at the other side of the lake where nobody ever was because it took about a decade and a half just to get to this part. The thing was, it was a lot quieter and calmer and closer to nature.

                “You’re alone again?”

                “Yeah,” L answered with a chuckle, looking up at Sungyeol through his un-spiked bangs. “Mom and Dad left for work. My brother’s probably still sleeping. You?”

                “Mom sent me out to get groceries,” Sungyeol replied, nodding over at his bike. “And this is just the route to get home, and I like stopping here ‘cause it’s nice to look at.”

                “It’s nice, yeah,” L agreed.

                “You seem quieter today,” the other observed, lifting his knees up to wrap his arms around them. “And nicer, too. See, I’m staring at your awful choice of clothing so I’m pretty sure that you’re L, but you could be Myungsoo after dying your hair and switching clothes with your brother.”

                “I’m definitely L,” the boy rolled his eyes. “And uh, last time I checked, I had a better sense of fashion than you ever did. I mean, look at what you’re wearing.”

                “Excuse me,” Sungyeol scoffed, grabbing at his sky blue-striped-pink bunny shirt, “but this is top-of-the-line Grandma Lee, so I wouldn’t be talking if I were you.”

                “Grandma Lee? You still wear the clothes your grandmother made you?” L asked, coughing back the fight to laugh. “You’re kidding me, right?”

                “YAH, may grandma makes amazing clothes!” Sungyeol insisted, standing up and walking behind L. “And I sure hope your grandma was as awesome as mine and taught you how to swim, ‘cause you’re sure gonna need it!”

                “Wait, what – WHAT THE NO THE WATER’S FREEZING – SUNGYEOL!”

 

 

keep in mind that sungjong substory. TRUST ME, THERE IS A REASON TO IT. if you've been keeping up with this story and you just read that, it'd give you an idea (i guess??) of lmyung's relationship (LOLOLOLOL I'M MAKING A SHIP NAME FOR THEM WHY) and it'd help with future references (whut i just wanted to sound smart).

after all, you guise, the story is called 'dig a little deeper'. so yeah, it kinda does have a LOT to do with digging down deeper into their past and their way of thinking and evraything in general.

but srsly did you guise know that dimples actually are defects in your face muscles. HOW SAD IS THAT.

AND PEOPLE ACTUALLY GET SURGERY TO HAVE DIMPLES LIKE WHY DO YOU WANT DEFECTS IN YOUR MUSCLES.

ok yeah i'm done now byeeeee <3 ily! if you want to unsub after this you're welcome to but ya know yeahhhhh.

happy friday! c; (well where i'm at it's like 11:10 pm so yeah)

[[c:26]]

OH YEAHHHHH AND OMFG INFINITE'S LIKE AN HOUR AWAY FROM ME RIGHT NOW AND I'M BASICALLY FLIPPIN' OUT ON THE INSIDE BUT YOU KNOW IT'S ALL CHILL YOU KNOW YEAH YEAH YEAH OK YEAH