Chapter 6

Of Guns and Roses

Chapter 6


 

The look on Baekhyun’s face was indescribable once he realized where Chanyeol took him. Even though there was not a single obvious word on any board signs outside the place, he’s not that stupid to not realize by the looks of it that it’s a “--ING MOTEL?!” 

Chanyeol flinched at Baekhyun’s sharp yell.

“It’s the only one we can afford right now.”

“What happened to the money Junmyeon lent us?!”

“Oh please, he’s a pirate, how much money do you think he has?” Chanyeol retorted. “Look, if you want to take a bath and have a good rest, stop being to stubborn and just get inside.”

“Unbelievable.” Baekhyun murmured but he followed Chanyeol inside anyway.

The room they got was a normal one (depends on what kind of normal  this motel defines it with) with one bath and large heart-shaped bed -- “This  is ridiculous,” Baekhyun murmurs -- a wall covered with mirrors and a drawer full of -- “You have got to be kidding me.”  -- toys.

Baekhyun glares at Chanyeol who immediately flopped down on the bed. “Ah, finally.” He breathed, closing his eyes.

Baekhyun walked towards him. “How can you relax in such circumstances?”

“What? I’m tired and there’s a bed, how can I not relax in such circumstances?” Chanyeol replied mockingly.

“This place is filthy! God knows how many men and women have spilled their discharges inside this room. I bet they don’t even clean this place properly! We might even acquire some kind of dis--whoa!” Baekhyun gasped when he was suddenly pulled down to the bed, cutting off his monologue. “Hey--Chanyeol--” He groaned, trying to break away from Chanyeol’s tight embrace.

“You slept on a pirate ship for three days and you’re complaining about filth right now,”

“Well--”

“Be quiet.”

Baekhyun gasped. “How dare--” He was cut off once again when Chanyeol suddenly kissed him. “Wha--” And again. “Stop it--” And again.  “Stop kissing m--” And again, this time longer, as Chanyeol shifts on top of Baekhyun. Baekhyun was out of breath when Chanyeol finally broke off.

“Are you gonna shut up now?” Chanyeol asked while smirking proudly.

Baekhyun pouted, blushing all over. 

Chanyeol softly kissed Baekhyun’s neck, nudging his head like a cat. Eventually, he moved beside Baekhyun and drifted to sleep, albeit his arms are still around the smaller. Baekhyun watches him. He must be really tired, he thought. Baekhyun understood that even though the environment can grant them safety, it was only temporary, and for the past two weeks, Chanyeol has never let down his guard nor felt any relief. Kris was the same. That’s why, in the past, whenever Kris come back home from a mission, he would show him that smile he was desperately trying to protect out in the field. Baekhyun didn’t notice when they started to fall apart but it was only now that he realized how much he’s been trying so hard to make him happy that it wasn’t worth anything anymore. It was such a bad decision.

--

Tao was about to knock on Kris’ door when he heard a puke-inducing classic love song faintly blasting from inside. It was then he decided to just kick the door open and come inside. He stopped on the entrance though. “You’ve got to be kidding me.” And from there he saw Kris watching a slideshow of Baekhyun’s pictures on a projector. He’s pretty sure most of them are from his facebook. Tao cleared his throat to let his presence be known but got nothing as a reply. So he decided to unplug the projector to get Kris’ attention.

“Hey! What the hell--Zitao?!”

Tao crossed his arms as he stood in front of Kris. “You’re really pathetic, you know that?”

“Shut up. It’s none of your business. Leave me alone.”

“We just received a report from Yixing about the ship we’re investigating. Do you want to hear it or do you want me to leave?” Kris turned away in defeat. “Okay, so, unfortunately the syndicates escaped right when Yixing and his team were about to capture them however they were able to catch some of the men working for them. They said that they know nothing about Baekhyun but they do remember a guy who matched the description leaving with an agent that they were chasing the night before.”

“Agent?”

“The agent who took your place for this mission.”

“Park Chanyeol?”

“Yes, him.” Tao answered. “Yixing and his team didn’t find Baekhyun on the cruise ship after issuing a search so our best bet would be Baekhyun might Park Chanyeol, though that’s a one on a million chance.”

“And the syndicates? Where did they escape to?”

“It seems they escaped through a boat. We originally predicted they would appear near Thailand based on the course of the cruise ship but after checking, there were no abnormal behavior in any of the docks our agents are keeping an eye on. They might still be in the sea. Which is weird....”

“That’s abnormal behavior.” Kris said. “Tell Minseok to summon every  agent who isn’t on a mission right now for an emergency search party.”

“Understood.”

--

It was already morning of the next day when Chanyeol woke up. He immediately sat up, alarmed for some reason, and looked around the place. 

“Something wrong?”

His eyes darted towards the smaller who was walking towards him. “Baekhyun...”

“Yeah?” Baekhyun asked although Chanyeol only continued to stare at him. “Hey! Are you okay?”

It smells good, Chanyeol shook his head. “I’m fine. Sorry. I just feel a little light-headed.”

Baekhyun chuckled. “Well, yeah, you slept for nearly24 hours, I suppose that’s a record for an agent.” He grabbed a bottle from the bedside table and offered it to Chanyeol. “Water?” Chanyeol generously took the bottle and drank from it.  “Are you hungry? I just ordered breakfast. You should take a bath first. I just took one.” 

So that’s why it smells good. Chanyeol suddenly smirked at him. “You’re awfully caring today.”

“Clearly you haven’t seen me during mornings that long.”  Baekhyun retorted. “Go before you bury a hole on the bed with your .”

Chanyeol laughed as he jumped off the bed. 

Baekhyun stretched his arms, feeling the morning breeze. After a few minutes, the room service finally came with their food. He imagines the staff thinks he and Chanyeol did some pretty nasty stuff last night by the way the bed looks and how messy the room was and he tried to hide his embarrassment until the staff finally left. Then he fixed the bed and cleaned up the mess.

Chanyeol went out of the bathroom just in time he was finished cleaning.

“Hey, food’s here--” He paused and snarled at Chanyeol. “Seriously?”

“What?”

“Put on some clothes!”

“I don’t have clothes,” Chanyeol answered, shrugging his shoulders. “I just washed them in the bathroom just now.”

“Well at least cover your body with something! I really don’t have the appetite to eat breakfast when I know your thing’s dangling loosely under that towel. I was scarred enough.”

Chanyeol fake-gasped. “Are you saying my is traumatizing?”

“Seeing a huge in that close proximity to my face is traumatizing, Chanyeol, or else I wouldn’t have screamed for dear life.”

“I know that’s a compliment but I’m slightly offended,” Chanyeol replied. “But you know, we can always rewrite that traumatizing memory.”

Baekhyun chuckled sarcastically. “Never.”

Chanyeol paused at the sudden rejection. “Well, never is a heavy word, you shouldn’t say it before thinking hard about it. You know, unless you’re really sure you’re never gonna let me you hard.”

It was Baekhyun’s turn to be caught off-guard this time. “Wh-What the hell?!”

“You’re blushing.” Chanyeol teased while moving closer towards Baekhyun.

“Who wouldn’t get embarrassed hearing something like that?!” Baekhyun yelled while looking away. “What are you, some kind of ert?!” He added, taking a few steps back with every step Chanyeol takes towards him.

“So you really have no intention of letting me you? Ever?”

“What kind of question is that?!”

“Really never?”

Baekhyun bit his lip. “It...It’s not like I--”

“Ah, so you do want me to you in the future--”

Baekhyun groaned loudly in frustration and kicked Chanyeol’s groin. “You ty ert! I hate you! I HOPE YOU CHOKE ON YOUR OWN !” He yelled before stomping out of the room and slamming the door shut, leaving Chanyeol on the floor who was groaning to himself in pain.

“I was only teasing...” Chanyeol murmured.


Baekyun kicked the trash can at the lobby, still feeling frustrated at Chanyeol’s display of testosterone earlier. “Just because he has a huge ...” He murmured, pouting. For the record, it is bigger than Kris’ so that’s even more frustrating. Who would’ve thought someone has a bigger than Kris when that guy is like a walking dinosaur? He sighed and crossed his arms. Come to think of it, how will that fit in my ? (Obviously thick-headed)

While he was too absorbed in his...problem, a man staggering behind him suddenly bumped into him, giving him a shock. Baekhyun immediately moved away. 

“S-sorry!” The man says.

“It’s okay. Are you alright?” Baekhyun asked in worry.

The man did not respond, only stared at him for a few good seconds before finally talking. “You’re...”

He had this look on his face that slightly alarmed Baekhyun. Not only that, the man was suddenly gripping his arm which he held earlier to avoid getting out of balance when they bumped into each other. Baekhyun looked around the lobby. He finally noticed a few more lying around dressed the same as the man before him. The receptionist was busy with a call. 

“Um,” Baekhyun started, forcing a smile. “Sorry but I have to go now--”

And then the man just boldly pulled his arm. “You’re not going anywhere.”

It was then that, with the little courage he had left, he grabbed the trash can behind him and smacked it against the man with all the power he’s got. The man’s grip on loosened due to the impact so he immediately pushed the man away and started running. The commotion alarmed the others on the lobby and immediately started chasing him. 

I can’t go back to the room, Baekhyun thought, Chanyeol will get caught off-guard with this number. I have to at least be able to get away first. Well, obviously he’s a home buddy and pastry chefs don’t do exercise so why the hell was this a good idea again? He doesn’t know the capacity of his stamina but from he remembered it, he ran pretty well when they were in the cruise ship. Maybe he can do well this time as well.

He looked behind him and saw the men in proximity. Nope, he’s not doing well. He tried to run faster to at least be able to cross the road. He might be able to lose them in a crowded place. He bumped into people here and there but really, his life is on the line here, there was no time to be respectful. It’s just pure desperation.

He continued to run until he was finally able to distract the men chasing him. Eventually, he was able to escape through hiding behind a vending machine. He waited for a few minutes before he started running back towards the motel.

--

Chanyeol looked at the clock. “It’s been 30 minutes. Is he still sulking?” He murmured as worry came in. He decided to go and look for Baekhyun since it’s dangerous to be out of his sight for too long. He doesn’t know what could happen. He grabbed his clothes, which fortunately are dry enough to wear thanks to the blower he used, and was about to open the door when it suddenly burst open when he was about to reach the knob and the edge hit his face with too much force that he fell to the side.

“CHANYEOL?!” Baekhyun yelled to what looked like an empty room until he heard Chanyeol groaning at the side. “What the hell are you doing there?!”

“I don’t know,you hit me!” Chanyeol replied while caressing his facial muscles.

“Me?! I--” Baekhyun paused. “We don’t have time for this! Chanyeol, they’re here!”

Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun. He was sweaty and out of breath. “Where? How many are they?”

“I don’t know. Five? Six? They were chasing me earlier but I was able to lose them.” Baekhyun answered immediately. “Hey, what are we gonna do? They’re gonna kill us, right?”

The realization dawned fast to Chanyeol. To him, hearing things like the enemies are coming aren’t that scary for him but it’s different when it comes to Baekhyun. He looked really terrified and his arms were trembling while his hands were clenching the hem of his shirt. 

Chanyeol pulled Baekhyun down, embracing him. “Don’t worry. I won’t let them.” When Baekhyun pulled out, he looked calmer although worry was still there. “We don’t have any weapons and I can’t take all of them even in one-on-one combat but we have to keep the key away from them. So you have to take the key and escape this place--”

“Wait, are you telling me to leave you here?”

Chanyeol ignored the predicament. “One of our agents is here so he might be able to find you once you escape. Don’t worry about me, I--”

“Are you stupid?!” Baekhyun interrupted a little bit upset. “I’m no agent but I’m sure as hell your plan is stupid. Hey, this isn’t some tragic telenovela where you get to sacrifice your life or some !” Chanyeol stared at him with surprise. “We’re escaping together! I’m not gonna leave you here!”

Chanyeol sighed in exasperation. “Baekhyun, this isn’t something we can argue about! We’re talking about your life  here! Your safety is my priority--”

“And I’m telling you I don’t want to leave you here! I don’t want to cry over your dead body, dammit! You think I like you?! I sure as hell don’t! I don’t want to cry over some erted guy who kept dangling his on my face, stupid --” He was cut off when Chanyeol suddenly grabbed his neck and pulled his face against his chest. Ah, Baekhyun thought when he saw the floor underneath him,  I’m crying. Betrayed by tear glands. This is embarrassing.

Chanyeol can only laugh in his head. He shouldn’t be affected by this kind of situation but he can’t seem to ignore this little scream freak complaining about not wanting to mourn over his dead body. Was he supposed to feel angry or happy about that? He’s just really...something else.

“Alright then,” Chanyeol breathed, pulling out. “Change of plans.” He added while wiping Baekhyun’s tears with his thumb. In front of this guy, he just becomes so weak.

As soon as Baekhyun calmed down though, a series of scared screams surfaced outside the room. It was obvious that those men Baekhyun was talking about are already back here. Based on experience, Chanyeol knew these men wouldn’t ask where the specific room is but would rather make a mess of the whole building by trespassing every room until they find the both of them. So that gave Chanyeol a little time to prepare.

Chanyeol told Baekhyun to grab the chair while he was holding a  lamp shade. Baekhyun was told to hide on the other side of the door wherein Chanyeol stood directly beside it. After a few minutes, the door opened, and as soon as a gun came in sight, Chanyeol swung his hands with full force to hit the man with the lampshade wherein Baekhyun hit his legs with the chair. Expectedly, the man dropped his gun and Chanyeol immediately grabbed it  and stepped on the man’s chest while Baekhyun closed and locked the door quietly.

“You should’ve known that as soon as you found out that door wasn’t locked, something was waiting for you.” But as usual, these syndicates are empty-headed. Big bodies with no brains. Chanyeol was about to pull the trigger when he suddenly remembered Baekhyun standing behind him. Instead, he knocked the man unconscious. He searched the man’s pockets for other weapons and found a knife which he handed to Baekhyun for self-defense.

“Alright, this are seems to be quiet,” Chanyeol said with his ear glued on the door. It just means that the other men might be at the second floor while a few are left at the lobby as  a look-out. Someone must’ve called the police by now. “Baekhyun, we’re going out. You only come out when I signal, alright?” Baekhyun nodded. 

Chanyeol carefully opened the door and slid in between a small gap. He looked around, observing the hallway, before signaling Baekhyun to come out. If he remembered correctly, at the end of this hallway is a fire exit. If it wasn’t for the fact that the windows in this motel are barred, they could’ve gotten out through that but now they have to rely on the fire exit.

When they were about to make a run for it, two men unexpectedly appeared at the end of the hallway from the lobby. Chanyeol immediately pulled the door as a shield when they fired at him and then he swiftly fired back, killing them both in an instant. “Run Baekhyun!” Speed has always been his forte. He was told that in unexpected attacks, there should no space for hesitation and always go for the kill immediately.

He turned around to follow Baekhyun towards the fire exit. He was only a few distance behind him. However, from that position, he was able to see clearly how a man came out from the staircase and grabbed Baekhyun as soon as he passed by and mercilessly buried a knife on his stomach. He even heard Baekhyun cough and there was blood spilling on the floor. Baekhyun’s body went limp and the man dropped him on the floor like some object.

“No...” Chanyeol murmured, with anger slowly consuming him, and pointed the gun towards the man who is know walking towards him. Behind him, more men started appearing. I might as well die now, he thought. Not a second has passed after he said that, the man in front him groaned and fell down, and then the men behind him followed one by one. There was no gunshot.

“What the hell are you doing?!”

“Kai...” Chanyeol gasped and immediately ran towards Baekhyun’s body.

“Hey, we don’t have time for this! Carry him on his back,we have to go! Those men called for a back-up. The police aren’t coming because they were attacked before they even got here!”

Chanyeol trembled at the sight of blood all over Baekhyun’s body. In spite of that, he held Baekhyun’s body gently and carried him on Kai’s instructions.

--

“That was some sloppy performance.” Kai said with his arms crossed.

His hideout was a room in a rundown abandoned hotel. They were able to get here as fast as they could and was able to give Baekhyun treatment with the help of another agent who was trained for medic, Kyungsoo. It has been a day since then. Right now, Kyungsoo went out to buy supplies so that gave Kai the opportunity to finally lecture Chanyeol.

“You were gonna let yourself die there and abandon the mission, weren’t you?” Chanyeol didn’t answer. He has been sitting and staring at Baekhyun beside his bed for almost a day now. 

“All for this guy.” Kai added, standing beside the bed. “What’s so special about him?”

“Honestly,” Chanyeol finally spoke. “I don’t know.”

Kai dropped his cigarette on the floor and crushed it with his foot. “Well, beats me. It’s not like we were trained not to feel emotions.” 

After half-an-hour, Kyungsoo finally came back with the supplies and immediately went to change Baekhyun’s bandages. At that same time, Kai got a call from radio transmission about the current standing of the mission and found out who this Byun Baekhyun was. He asked Chanyeol if he knew about it and when Chanyeol nodded, he concluded that that might be he reason why Chanyeol couldn’t leave him. Chanyeol could tell him a hundred reasons why that wasn’t the case but instead, “I have a favor to ask,” he said that.

“So, what’s the plan?”

“That search party is useless. Those men are after me because of the key Baekhyun found so the only way to get them to appear is if I willingly contact them. They’ll know it’s a trap of course but we don’t have other choice.” Chanyeol explained. “Even if we managed to keep the key safe, they will still go after Baekhyun and me and this whole thing will never end.”

“They’ll only comply if you agree on their terms, in short, you’re already dead once you contact them.”

“I won’t die,” Chanyeol announced. “I don’t want to cry over some erted guy who kept dangling his on my face!” That memory sort of made him smile a bit.

Kai stared at him and sighed. “If you say so,” He said with a shrug. “I’ll contact Kris.”

Chanyeol,once again, claimed his spot beside Baekhyun’s bed. He held Baekhyun’s hand. It felt warmer now. He was so scared when he thought he was gonna die. The feeling of not being able to hear his voice or see his smile frightened him. This guy, in a span of two weeks or more, gradually changed his life. Doing this mission was the most fun he has ever had in his entire life. And he’s gonna do everything in his power to keep the candle alight, even if it means having to bargain life and death.

 


A/N:

after almost two years, i finally got around continuing this. I'm sorry for the unexpected hiatus, i hope this makes up for it. ;A;

- gelie