The Beginning of Trouble

How to Tame a Jerk

 

A/N First chapter up. I'm crap at making forewards so I hope this makes up for it! 


“Where is it?” Jihye groaned, shuffling through the aisles of the convenience store. She rubbed her hands together and sighed. It had been so cold outside that she had almost frozen into an ice statue. Her thin hoodie barely gave her enough warmth and so as she scanned the shelves for her usual packet of ramen she thought of how content she would be eating it when she got back. Sure enough in the last aisle on the bottom shelf, she spotted it. A smile came upon a face as she grabbed the packaging, then realised someone else had gotten a hold of it too. Her eyebrows furrowed under the hoodie as she tugged on the packet stubbornly. The hand on the other side didn’t let go. She looked up and the face of a handsome stranger met her eyes. He had an annoyed look on his face.

“Can I have this?” He drawled, almost sounding bored.

She bit her lip.

“There are more ramen brands there,” he continued, pointing to the brightly coloured packets next to the only one she could afford.

“I-I need this one,” she stuttered feebly, clutching onto the packaging.

“Why would you need it? Miss, is there something wrong with you?” he scoffed ripping her only dinner out of her hands.

She clenched her fists inside her sleeves. She hated being poor and not being able to do anything about it. When she looked up, the stranger had already paid and gone. She walked up to the register where the candy and snacks were, the only thing cheaper than the ramen. Jihye the coins in her hand sadly and picked up a bag of potato chips. This would have to do for tonight. No, it would not do. Noona don’t get too angry at people who don’t understand.” Sorry Dongmin, I’m going to stand up for myself from now on.” She dropped the packet of chips and ran outside.

Daehyun whistled as he walked back to his house. He couldn’t believe there would be such a weird girl who would need that particular brand of ramen. All he wanted to do was get home and eat it in secret. His mother would be outraged if she knew he had been eating, “Dirty, cheap junk food.” In fact, to him, his family were just a bunch of snobs. His father had become a successful businessman and kind as he was; Daehyun rarely caught a glimpse of him. His mother watched him like a hawk. Luckily, his maids who were very close with him helped him sneak off, making excuses and covering up for him.

“YAH! YOU, STOP RIGHT THERE!” Jihye shouted as loudly as she could. Daehyun stopped in his tracks and turned in surprise. “The crazy girl again?” He thought. She came running to him, out of breath.

“Give-me-back-my-ramen,” she panted, out of breath.

“Wow, you’re really crazy aren’t you?” Daehyun said flicking his hair in frustration. “Since when was the ramen yours? I paid for it!”

She glared at him, and then suddenly started searching through his jacket.

“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING WOMAN!?” He shouted trying to push her off. She finally felt the familiar plastic of the ramen package and pulled it out. Daehyun’s mouth was open. He looked mad. Never had anyone been so disrespectful to the future heir of one of the largest companies in Korea.

She rummaged into her hoodie, took out the coins, grabbed his hand, and slapped the money onto his palm. However as she was about to leave, she spotted his keys on the floor. A surprised expression came over her face. She looked up at him once again then back to the keys. A knowing smile came over her face.

“You’re still the same as ever…Jung Daehyun.”

“Mmmm, this icecream tastes so good,” a 5 year old Jihye thought as she it happily.

A little boy watched this happen from a distance. A cheeky smile came over his face as he watched her eat her icecream. He ran up to her, grabbed her icecream and threw it onto the ground. “HAHA!” he squealed gleefully.

 “You’re so mean!” Tears began to roll down her cheeks. She bawled loudly.

The little boy felt a little bad but he didn’t want to show it. He was always bullying her anyway. She was the only girl he was around a lot, but it was only because they were family friends.

He stuck his tongue out at her.

~

“Wouldn’t it be lovely if those two got married one day? They’re so cute together!” Jihye’s mum exclaimed as he watched the two children smiling for the camera. As soon as the photographer had taken the photo, and the parents were too busy talking and laughing, they started fighting again.

Daehyun’s older sister, who was a lot older, smiled mischievously.

~

Daehyun’s sister Miyoung called Daehyun and Jihye over as they were playing in a park.

"Here look! I got you two some cute keyrings!” She opened her hand to reveal a pretty pair of couple keyrings shaped as bears, holding one half of a heart each. The two innocent children grabbed them excitedly, not thinking twice about the inner meaning within them.

“Promise me you too will take them with you everywhere, especially when you grow up! You can never take them off okay?”

She made them pinky promise.

Daehyun looked at her confusedly. “Do I know you?”

She laughed and pulled out her keys, dangling them in front of him. His eyes were wide. “YOU!” he gasped.