Don't Blink

Don't Blink

A few days later, I’m waiting in what I now call the “classroom.” It’s the same meeting room where I’d first taught Minji and Dara earlier in the week, and where yesterday I had met with the Bigbang boys for their first lesson.

The two-hour session had been fun. Seungri and Jiyong kept playing footsie under the table when they thought I wasn’t looking and Youngbae was trying to complete his assignment. It wasn’t until the leader and Maknae started writing in each other’s notebooks that Youngbae shouted, “Yah! If you two keep at it any longer, you’re going to scare Seunghyun Hyung into going back to America and I’ll go with him!”

The pair had soon gone back to their assignments, frowns and blushes adorning their features.

Today I sit waiting for Dong Yoohae. She’s been a YG artist for some years now, but other than that, I don’t know much about her.

I feel somewhat apprehensive, although I don’t know exactly why. Minji had texted me last night saying, “I heard you’re teaching Dong Yoohae Unnie tomorrow. Good luck with that one.”

I had laughed at the time, but now I wonder if she was joking or being serious. I shake my head. Oh well, I’ll just find out for myself.

The door opens and in walks Dong Yoohae. She looks elegant in a cream-colored blouse, skinny jeans, and a string of pearls hanging from her neck.

I stand and bow. Just as I'm about to introduce myself, I'm interrupted. She looks me up and down and gives me a smirk. “So the rumors are true: you are devilishly handsome.”

I give a start at her words. “Um, kamsahamnida?”

She chuckles as she approaches me, hand outstretched, which surprises me, since shaking hands isn't really done in Korea. “Dong Yoohae. It’s quite a pleasure to meet you. My stylists have been talking about you all week.” I shake her hand and she steps closer to me. An uncomfortable feeling settles in my stomach. “It was getting very annoying. But now I can see that they weren’t exaggerating your looks.”

I pull my hand away from hers and laugh nervously, taking a step back from her. Who talks like this to someone they just met? “That’s kind of you to say. Should we get started on your lesson now?”

I don’t think I’m imagining the gleam in her eye as she says, “Oh, yes, please.”

I give her a more advanced assignment of describing the storyline and world of the Harry Potter novels. But half an hour later, when I look up from grading Seungri’s assignment, I see Yoohae watching me. Her notebook is blank.

I frown. “Have you been…watching me this whole time?”

Yoohae chuckles and says seductively, “I can’t help it if I’m getting distracted by you.”

I stifle a sigh. “Dong Yoohae, this is an interesting and good assignment for you. We only have two hours together and I’d like to be as productive as possible in that time.”

She gives me a mocking pout. “Choi Seunghyun, you’re a mean one, aren’t you?” She gets up from her chair and walks around the table towards me. When she nears me, she leans over and whispers, “I like it.”

I scoot back from her and stand to my full height. “Dong Yoohae, I apologize, but I don’t think I will be able to be your instructor. I’ll ask that you please leave.”

She laughs then and lightly hits my chest. “Aigoo, Choi Seunghyun, I was just joking. Oh, you’re no fun at all.” She walks back to her side of the table and once more takes her seat.

“I’ll write and won’t say anything more.” She winks at me. “I promise.”

I go to stand by the window for the remainder of the lesson.

First thing I’m going to do when we’re done is text Minji and curse her for not warning me. What in the world is wrong with Dong Yoohae? Never before have I ever met anyone as forward or as rude in all my life.

I don’t think I even want to be alone with her anymore. I shiver at the thought of Dong Yoohae trapping me alone in one of the many YG corridors.

When she finally finishes, I tell her that I have to be somewhere, trying to act like I’m not rushing to get away from her. As I walk away, I text Minji and ask her where she is. The dance studio.

As I approach the studio door, I hear the loud sound of one of 2NE1’s newest songs playing over the sound system.

I lean into the entrance and see the girls in the middle of a dance routine. Yang Seungho sees me and waves me in. I join him on one of the benches that lines the mirrored walls.

“Hey, Seunghyun.” The English falls from his mouth easily in greeting.

I smile. “Hey.” I look over at the dancing girls in front of us and they all give me smiles in greeting. “They look great,” I say into Seungho’s ear.

“Mm. They’ve been practicing a lot. Later this afternoon, they’ll be with me to choose their outfits for the benefit concert next week.”

I nod in understanding.

“What are you up to for the rest of the day?” he asks me. “Any more lessons to give?”

Shaking my head, I say, “Nope. Just the one I just finished. I was thinking of going into the city later today. Maybe find a good place to eat?”

Seungho’s eyes follow the movements and flow of the girls dancing in sync before us. “That’s a good plan. You should see if any of the boys are available. We all know the best places to eat around here.”

I smile at the thought of company. The idea had entered my mind beforehand, but I wasn’t sure of anyone’s schedule and I didn’t want to be a bother.

“Mm. Maybe I’ll see if Jiyong-ssi is available.”

 The girls hit their final pose just as the music ends and I clap enthusiastically.

“That was daebak,” I say, switching to Korean. “Daebak! You all will do great at the benefit concert.”

There is a chorus of laughter and expressions of gratitude as they approach to get bottles of water and towels.

Water in hand, Minji bounces over to me and grins cheekily. “So, how was it?”

I give her a glare. She bursts into laughter.

“How could you not warn me?”

She grabs her stomach as she continues to laugh, garnering the attention of the others.

“What’s so funny, Min-ah?” asks Chaerin.

Minji quiets her laughter enough to answer. “Oppa just met Dong Yoohae.” Chaerin, Dara, Bom, and Seungho’s faces range from alarm to sympathy. “She’s a bit shocking, isn’t she?”

“A bit? When she wasn’t panting into my ear, she was telling me how she prefers her men to act ually.”

“Omo! Omo!” Minji gets out before falling on the floor, tears falling from her eyes.

Dara rolls her eyes. “Aigoo, that woman has no shame. It’s embarrassing for all womanhood.” I detect a faint hint of disgust in her voice.

Seungho puts his hand on my shoulder. “You haven’t seen anything yet. It’s the 2NE1 girls you should watch out for. Truly shameless.”           

“Yah!” Shouts Chaerin, who reaches out to grab Seungho, but he jumps out of the way just in time.

The tall man laughs. “Aigoo, I’m just joking, Linnie.” He turns his gaze back to me. “But seriously, Seunghyun: welcome to the club. Dong Yoohae has tried to get into every guy’s pants here at YG. It’s actually unbelievable that word hasn’t gotten to the prez yet.”

My eyes widen at his words. “How can anyone act like that?” I ask in wonder. “It just doesn’t make sense to me.”

Bom comes to sit next to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. “Just don’t be alone with her ever again. And if she says or does anything inappropriate again, just let Dara and I know. We’ll take care of it.”

The two older members share a look that has me glad it’s me they want to defend and not attack.

I let out an amused chuckle. “You girls are wonderful, but I think I should try and handle it myself first.”

There’s a beat of silence and then Chaerin says, “Mm. You let us know how that goes for you, Oppa.”

We all burst into amused laughter.

I stand with a stretch and grab my belongings. “Arasso, well, I will leave you all to keep working. Can’t wait to see the concert!” I head over to the door and smile back at the group, who is now seated on the floor.

“Call me soon for lunch, Oppa!” Minji yells excitedly. I nod in agreement and head out.

I go up to the recording studio, thinking I might find Jiyong there. And of course I’m correct. Does the boy ever leave?

Jiyong sits at the back table, hoodie pulled low over his eyes. His arms are crossed as he bobs his head to the beat coming from the computer in front of him.

“You look like death,” I tell the bobbing head.

The head stops moving and I have a fleeting moment of panic. Did I guess wrong? Is this not Jiyong?

But then a laugh is heard as Jiyong pulls the hoodie back and looks up at me.

“Well, if it isn’t Daesung’s number one fanboy!”

I can feel the flush on my cheeks as I mumble, “That was so uncalled for.”

Jiyong laughs again. “Omo! But it was so funny! And Dae loved it.”

My head perks up at this bit of information. “He did?” I walk over and plop myself down on the couch as Jiyong turns to face me, a smirk settling on his face.

“Mm. After you left with Bom, Dara, and Minji-ah, we all started talking about you.”

I flush in embarrassment.

Jiyong laughs. “Aigoo, nothing bad was said! It was just normal ‘curiosity about the new guy’ talk. Anyways, at one point Daesung chuckled and said he liked his first impression of you.”

I smile at the knowledge of being thought of thusly by the Kang Daesung.

“He also said,” continues Jiyong with a slightly more curious tone, “that he trusts you.”

Jiyong lets the statement sink in for a moment and a warm feeling settles in my stomach.

At my continued silence and secretive smile, Jiyong huffs in frustration. “And no matter how hard I tried, I don’t know what the hell happened that night for him to say that!”

I chuckle at the pout on his face. “We have a saying in America: Curiosity killed the cat.”

I expect confused laughter, but am instead pleasantly surprised to see Jiyong actually think over the words. He nods slowly and says, “Arasso. I won’t ask anything more about it. Actually, I’m quite happy to hear that Dae has a friend in you.” He gives me an approving smile. “And you have a friend in me too.”

I smile warmly. “Komawo,” is all I can think of to say.

Jiyong leans back in his chair with a clap of his hands. “Alright, enough with all the sappiness. Did you come here for something?”

I chuckle as I say, “I came by to ask if you wanted to get something to eat.”

“Actually,” says Jiyong as he turns around and begins to shut down the programs on his computer, “that sounds like an excellent plan.”

 

***

 

“She did what?” Jiyong practically shouts into the small café.

Jiyong had decided on this nearby café for lunch, with promises of delicious kimchi sandwiches. The sandwich and frozen lemonade I’m currently enjoying are proof enough of Jiyong’s taste in quality food.

I laugh into my hand as I wave at Jiyong to lower his voice.

Jiyong rolls his eyes and lets out a disgusted sound. “Aish, Dong Yoohae is really too much. Mianhe. That was unprofessional behavior and unfair to you, Seunghyun.”

I wave off the apology with a smile. “Seungho and the 2NE1 girls already told me that she’s tried this with a lot of people.”

Jiyong’s eyebrows furrow together. “She has a great voice and acts like such a lady in front of management, but all the artists know better than to believe her act.”

He throws me an apologetic smile. “Looks like she’s found her newest target.” He sighs. “Just keep saying ‘no.’ She’ll move on eventually.”

I ignore the uncomfortable feeling I get at his words, choosing instead to steer the conversation to more pleasant topics. Taking a sip from my lemonade, I say, “Jiyong, do you mind if I ask how you and Seungri ended up together?”

It does the trick. A happy smile brightens Jiyong’s features. “It happened over the course of training together and performing and doing fan service.”

He’s silent for a moment as I nod my head.

“I thought he didn’t like me back; couldn’t like me back. He’s this bright, happy person, with so much laughter to give and create. And I’m…me. Always drained of energy, always writing, smoking, working on something.” His gaze is distant as he continues, seeing something only he can see. “But I was always attracted to him, to his brightness. He balanced me before we were even together. And then one day it clicked: I saw Seungri as more than just my Dongsaeng. I wanted all his attention and time. I wanted to hold him…” He trails off and gives me a sheepish smile. “Well, you get the idea.”

I smile in understanding. “I do. It’s a wonderful feeling, being in love.” I don’t tell him how it can also tear you to shreds if it ends.

There’s a knowing smile on Jiyong’s face. “Oh, so you have a special someone?”

I push the crumbs around on my plate. “I did. Not anymore.”

Jiyong gives me a sympathetic smile. “Mianhe.”

I wave my hand as if to brush away the memory. “Maybe there’s someone better out there for me.”

“Painful breakup?”

“More like ‘what I thought was the love of my life walked out in the middle of the night and I never heard from him again’ breakup.”

Jiyong shakes his head. “Ah. Sorry to hear that, Seunghyun. That wasn’t cool of him at all.”

I finish the last of my drink, quiet as I remember Ben and the good times we had. With no note or explanation left behind, I still don’t know what I did to drive him away. The pain of missing him and not knowing anything and wondering where I failed him still lingers in my heart.

“But you’re right,” Jiyong says once he finishes his drink, bringing me out of my dark thoughts. “There’s definitely someone better out there for you.”

 

***

 

The next day, I’m scheduled with Daesung, but rather than create a standard lesson plan for him, I have several phrases and topics of conversation prepared.

I’ve included ones that I know he’ll use, as President Yang sent me an e-mail the previous day with a set of phrases for Daesung to say. I’ve also prepared longer, more in-depth topics for him, to cover any possible interview questions or any special mentions that Daesung may want to make himself.

When he walks into the classroom, he greets me with a big smile.

I take in the dark jeans and form-fitting, long-sleeved, navy blue shirt and have to blink to remind myself that I am not dreaming. God, his arms are so well-defined. This man is so good-looking it almost hurts.

I grin back at him. “Annyeong.”

Daesung walks over and puts a hand on my arm. “How are you?” The genuine interest in his voice melts my heart just a little.

“Good. I’m great. Been having lessons everyday and meeting new idols. And you?” Should I ask how his boyfriend is? Or is he a lover? The uncertainty has me keeping my mouth closed.

Daesung takes a seat and gives me a warm smile. “I’m well. I had yesterday to myself and I can’t tell you how nice it was to have no set schedule to follow!”

I sit across from him and take in his happy features. It’s a nice sight. “I can’t imagine having such a tight schedule everyday. But you handle it well. You never looked stressed.” I cut myself off before I say anything else and fiddle with the papers in front of me to hide my embarrassment.

I hear Daesung laugh. “Komawo.”

Still looking down, I pull out the paper with the list of phrases President Yang had sent me. Clearing my throat, I say, “President Yang sent these phrases for you.” I hand it over and wait for Daesung to read it over before I continue.

“I went ahead and created more for you. I thought it may be nice if we did more than just the standard phrases and make this a bit more personal.”

Daesung claps his hands, delighted by the idea, and I manage to not reach out and ruffle his hair. He says, “And maybe today we can come up with more things I want to say?”

I nod my head, encouraged by his enthusiasm. “Mm. I thought of that, too. You can tell me exactly what you want to say and we can translate and practice together.”

With that plan, we spend the next two hours brainstorming and laughing and joking until finally a set of phrases and conversations are chosen and memorized.

When we’re finished and chuckling over some of the sillier mistakes Daesung had been making, he suddenly speaks up. “Hyung—“ I ignore the internal girly squeal I make—“I could use a bite to eat. Are you hungry?”

I’m nodding my head before he’s even done speaking, making him laugh.

“Should we go for bibimbap? I know a great place near here.”

I would seriously follow him anywhere.

Twenty minutes later and we’re at the restaurant, Daesung quickly getting a table in the back. It’s nice to see that the YG artists have a lot of understanding restaurants nearby helping them to eat without the constant worry of being followed by fans.

When we get our drinks, Daesung looks at me with a bit of a worried look. “Hyung, I wanted to apologize for the way I acted the other night at Blue.”

My eyes widen in surprise. “Aniya. Please don’t think that you need to. I totally understand where you were coming from. I wasn’t at all offended. Actually I’m…” I trail off, suddenly shy by where my thoughts were going.

“You’re…what? Daesung asks.

I let out a small huff. “I’m happy that it actually made us friends?” I say it like a question because of course I would jump at any chance to be friends with Kang Daesung. But maybe he doesn’t see it that way…

Daesung laughs into his hand. If I didn’t know any better I would say he’s charmed by what I said. “Neh, we’re definitely friends now.”

I feel my shoulders sag in relief, not even realizing until now that I had been worried about where exactly we stood after that night at Blue.

“Actually, part of the reason I wanted to have lunch with you is because of what you said that night.”

I quickly try to remember everything, but can’t pinpoint any one specific thing I said, so I nod my head for him to continue.

“Well, you mentioned how I could talk to you if I ever needed to. And…well, there aren’t a lot of people I can talk to—“ his voice drops to a whisper—“about being gay.”

I give him a reassuring smile. “Yes, you can always talk to me. And our conversations will always stay between the two of us.”

I’ve clearly said the right thing because Daesung smiles a little wider and leans over the table, close to me. “May I ask you a question, Hyung?”

I smile. I’ll never get over the fact that he calls me ‘Hyung.’ “Yes.”

“How many boyfriends have you had?”

I startle a bit, not expecting a personal question. “Well, two short-term boyfriends, and one long-term.”

“And why were the first two short-term?” His eyes go wide. “You don’t have to answer that if you don’t want to.”

I chuckle. “Ani, it’s fine with me. The first two relationships were more about…well,” I feel my cheeks burn, “about lust, rather than love.”

Daesung bites his lip and looks down. “Ah, geureo kuna.”

“Mianhe. Is that too much information?”

Daesung shakes his head. “Aniya. It’s just different to have someone to finally talk to about all this.”

I nod my head. It must be a change indeed to go from having no one to talk to about one of the biggest aspects of yourself, to talking to an American who is quite comfortable with the whole subject.

“I think, so far, I’ve only lusted…after men. I don’t think I’ve loved anyone yet.” There’s a hint of sadness to his tone that has me reaching out to pat his wrist. “You lead a busy life that isn’t the most conducive to looking for love and developing a relationship. But,” I quickly continue when I see him slump down in his chair, “love will not escape you, of all people. You’re perfect guy is out there, waiting for you. Don’t ever let yourself forget that.”

Daesung is silent for a moment, his gaze lowered. I begin to wonder if I’ve said absolutely the wrong thing, when he smiles his dazzling smile at me. For a moment I forget what we’re even talking about because all I can see, all I know in this moment, is the happiness that shines out of his face.

“Kamsahamnida.”

Flustered, I lean back in my seat and wave away his gratitude. “Oh, well, it was nothing, really. I didn’t say much.”

“But you did.”

I look up at the tone in his voice to see Daesung smiling gratefully. I nod my head.

“May I ask another question?”

I nod again.

“Your long-term relationship. How did you know it was love and not lust?”

I think of Ben for a moment. Ignoring the pain and disappointment that has now become the knee-jerk reaction when I think of him, I go back further in my memories, to the beginning. And a small smile parts my lips.

“We were friends first,” I say quietly. “We met at university; had a few classes together. We got lunch a few times and soon after, became close friends.” A memory flashes across my mind of the first time we kissed. We’d been running through the rain, trying to find the nearest classroom building for cover, when Ben had suddenly stopped running and tugged on my hand. I’d steadied myself with my hands on his shoulders. Then he had leaned up and kissed me.

I smile at the memory. “Adding romance to our friendship just seemed like the natural next step for us. Nothing changed about our relationship except for the added kissing…and stuff.”

I look up at Daesung, wondering if I’d over shared, but the look he’s giving me is not what I was expecting.

I see wistfulness.

Daesung rests his chin in the palm of his hand. “That’s what I want. I want the simple falling together and just being natural. Being together.” He lets out a long sigh. “But even if I were to find that person, my career would never allow for the simplicity.”

I think of his predicament of always being busy and constantly being followed by paparazzi. “I don’t know, Daesung, maybe if you find the person that’s worth it, fame won’t stop you from having just the kind of relationship you want. That’s part of what love is about. About the sacrifice and the thrill and the courage to do what you want for love.”

There’s a moment of silence while we both let that information sink in. Then our eyes meet and we begin to laugh.

Daesung holds up his glass. “To love.”

I smile. It feels like I somehow got a little bit of closure; like I’m finally willing to move past the mystery of whatever ended my last love. I think of my future and all the possibilities, here in Korea and wherever life takes me.

“To love.”

 

 

 

 

____________

Author's Note: Oh, boy. It's been a while, hasn't it? Do you all hate me? Please don't! Because I still love you all ^__^

So, to make a long story short: I got into Vixx and EXO and life itself has been BUSY. Work was C.R.A.Z.Y. to say the least. Sometimes crazy good, sometimes crazy bad. I finally left my old department after I was promoted in another department. I was not expecting the promotion at all and I feel not really worthy? prepared? But my new boss has so much confidence in me. It's a wonderful feeling.

I really am truly sorry that I was gone so long. But I'm back, friends! I can't say for sure when the next chapter will be up, but it won't be a year from now. I'd like to get a few chapters in for 'Kindle.' We shall see...

Anyways! Leave some comments down below, ya? MUCH LOVE, Todaebaegri!