Don't Blink

Don't Blink

 

My first week in Korea passed by quickly, but enjoyably. I didn’t experience too much further away from my apartment in Seoul, but I did get familiar and comfortable with the people and the areas all near my apartment. Hopefully, there will be time for more exploring as my time here progresses.

I’m walking out of my apartment and out into the street, on my way to the YG building for my first English instruction. It’s 6:30 in the morning.

President Yang sent me an e-mail on Friday letting me know that my first session had been scheduled for Monday morning at 8:00 in the morning with Minzy and Dara from 2NE1. The session will last two hours.

I was so excited with the thought of meeting the two beautiful and talented women that I had woken up this morning much earlier than expected. At first I thought about going back to sleep, but then I figured that this would be an opportunity to get more familiar with the YG building while there were fewer people around.

I shiver a little at the brisk morning air, but a smile pulls at my lips.

First day of work, Seunghyun!

Soon, I’m walking up to the main entrance of the building and I scan my hand. My smile widens as the light turns green and the door slides open.

Once again I find myself in the shiny lobby area. Instead of taking the elevator, I decide on the stairwell.

On my way up to the second level, still inside the stairwell, I see a giant flat screen hanging on the wall above my head. Looking at it, it’s playing one of Big Bang’s music videos. I’d heard of this before, fans had said online that this screen plays YG artist MV’s all day. I smile at the fact that I am now enjoying this in person.

I continue up the stairs and exit on the second floor. I find myself on a balcony overlooking the small parking garage. There are a few vans and cars parked and I see a security guard strolling through on his early morning patrol.

I walk along the balcony, looking at the view beyond the YG walls and see the empty road and quiet buildings dotting the way down the lane as far as I can see. I don’t see any fans standing outside across the street, but I’m sure I should get used to seeing them out there at some point during the day, considering all the videos I see posted on Youtube of fans waiting hours and hours just to catch a glimpse of the YG artists.

Smiling, I turn away and head to the elevator. I go up one floor and find myself in a dark hallway; dark except for a distant light reflecting on the shiny walls and floors around me. I look down both ways and see doors lining the walls and giant windows at the end of both hallways. I turn left and peek inside all the rooms as I pass.

The first room I see if a vast room filled with billiard tables and beautiful black leather couches. Beyond that I see ping-pong tables and foosball tables. I also see shelves along the walls with board games and books all stacked against each other. This must be a game room for the staff and artists.

I continue down the hall and the next two doors are men and women’s bathrooms. I turn around and explore the other end of the hallway. As I peek my head inside one room, I see that it’s a small room with a couch and piano. I also see a desk and chair along the other wall. Perhaps a writing room?

Moving along I see another room similar to the last room, but without the piano. Instead, I see three guitars sitting in their stands along the walls. So perhaps these are different rooms for artists to come to to write and compose their songs.

The last door is closed. Through the smoky glass door I can see a light on. Without thinking, I open the door.

And my eyes go wide.

G-Dragon is looking at me with a sleepy and curious expression.

I blink a few times, unable to form words. Is this real?

“Neh? Can I help you?” his tired voice asks me in Korean.

I clear my throat and offer a shy smile. “Jwesonghamnida. I’m new here and was giving myself a tour. I will leave you to continue—” I quickly glance down and see a pen and paper in his hand “—writing. Jwesonghamnida for disturbing you, Mr. Dragon. I mean, G-Dragon—“

I’m cut off from my ridiculous apologizing by G-Dragon’s happy laugh. I quickly shut up and watch him with wide eyes. Could I get fired for interrupting G-Dragon while composing? , what will President Yang say?

G-Dragon stops laughing, somewhat, and looks a little harder at me. “Who are you? Why are you so nervous?”

I bow to him. “Jwesonghamnida. I am Choi Seunghyun, the new English instructor from America. Please continue working.” I bow once more as I start to back out of the room.

“Ani,” says G-Dragon. “Come in. Please come in and have a seat. I could use a break; I’ve been working all night.”

I offer another shy smile and sit down on the long beige couch. Suddenly I look around at the familiar room. “Omo!” I say excitedly. “This is…this is the recording studio from the videos I’ve seen!”

Beyond G-Dragon, I see the second desk with all the recording equipment that is far above my knowledge. And above it is the small window looking into the recording booth. My smile widens.

G-Dragon laughs again. “Has no one given you a tour yet?”

I shake my head. “I only arrived a week ago and this is my second time inside the building. I came early so I could explore it for myself. I really didn’t think anyone would be here. Please forgive me for interrupting you, G-Dragon.”

He laughs again while he gets more comfortable as he sits backwards in his chair. “Aish, let’s not be so formal, neh? Call me Jiyong. How old are you, anyways?”

I relax a bit at his words. “Arasso. I’m 24 in American years, 25 in Korean.”

G-Drag-, I mean, Jiyong’s eyes look me over a bit, giving me an appraising look. “Ah, so you’re my Hyung?”

Chuckling, I say, “Neh, but please call me Seunghyun.”

Jiyong looks at me with a conspiratorial look in his eye. “Arasso, Seunghyun. But if President Yang is around, ‘Hyung’ it is. I’m not trying to get fired for being disrespectful!”

I laugh as I relax fully into the couch and into Jiyong’s likeable personality. “Oh, please. You are a genius-level YG artist. You couldn’t be fired even if you wanted to be.”

Jiyong gives me a sincere smile. “Komawo. So how are you liking Korea so far?”

I open my mouth to answer, but just then the door opens and Lee Seungri walks in with a determined look on his face as he looks at Jiyong. He walks right up to him lightly hits Jiyong’s shoulder.

“Ji! I told you to come to bed earlier tonight! Why are you always staying up so late and leaving me alo—“

Jiyong clears his throat as I hide my smile behind my hand.

“Ri, have you met our new English instructor?”

Lee Seungri’s eyes go wide and he does a double take as his eyes shift to me.

“Aigoo. Mianhe. I didn’t realize I was interrupting something.” His cheeks redden slightly and I notice the soft look Jiyong gives him. Lee Seungri bows to me and says, “It is a pleasure to meet you. I am Lee Seunghyun. But please call me Seungri.”

I stand up and bow. “The pleasure is mine, Lee Seungri. It’s an honor to meet you. I am Choi Seunghyun.”

His smile widens a bit. “Seunghyun! Excellent! We can be the Seunghyun brothers!”

Jiyong hits the back of his head. “Yah! He’s your Hyung. Show some respect.”

Seungri gives Jiyong a dirty look, but I can tell it’s laced with affection. “Arasso!” He looks back at me and smiles politely. “Hyung, please teach us well.”

I laugh at his overly polite tone. “Please just call me Seunghyun. Really, I don’t need to be addressed formally. I know I don’t look it, but I’m more American than I am Korean.”

Seungri’s eyes go wide as he takes my arms and sits us down on the couch.

“Have you ever been to Las Vegas?”

I laugh again and nod my head. “I’ve been before for my friend’s 21st birthday celebration.”

Seungri looks at me approvingly. “Isn’t it such a crazy fun city? I love Las Vegas! We should go sometime!”

I laugh, pleased at how easy it is to talk to Jiyong and Seungri. I nod my head. “Neh, I would like that. But I’ll have to check with President Yang. I’m not too sure how he’ll react to me asking for vacation before I’ve even started to work.”

Seungri and Jiyong laugh. Seungri looks at Jiyong. “I like him, Ji.” Seungri looks back at me. “So how did you come to be at YG?”

Once again I open my mouth to answer, but Jiyong lets out a loud yawn. He looks at us with an embarrassed smile. “Mianhe. It’s been a long night.”

I smile at him. “It’s quite alright. You should get home and sleep, Jiyong. I would be happy to talk with you both some more when you’re more awake.”

Seungri smiles at me and stands up to stand next to Jiyong. “That sounds like a good plan, Seunghyun.” Jiyong backhands his chest. “Aish. I mean, Hyung.”

I laugh at the pair of them and make my way to the door.

Just before I leave, I look back at them and say, “Quick question for you: where’s the cafeteria?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

_____________

A/N: Okay, I have to make this disclaimer: I do not own anything you are reading (except for the words themselves) and anything that sounds familiar is merely a coincedence. YG owns all (including my wallet and my soul). I am making no profit from this blah, blah, blah. So please don't anyone sue me!

I have never been to the YG building /crying desperately/ and have no idea what it looks like on the inside. I've photos of certain rooms, however, so based off of that inspiration, I will try to form a more complete picture for our minds ^_^

You all know I don't like giving things away, but because I don't know when I'll next post, I'l tell you this: next up will be more exploring and Seunghyun's first lesson!

How are we liking it so far? 

I apologize for that awful description of his apartment in the last chapter, but I always, ALWAYS at describing houses, or anything, in detail.

Anyways, please let me know all your thoughts and opinions on this fic! Your comments are the TOP to my Dae, the Ji to my Ri, and the Young to my Bae ^_^