Don't Blink

Don't Blink

 

I’ve just been dropped off at my new apartment complex. I look up at the building that is only nine stories tall.

Nice building; looks very new. It seems to be in a safe place. The YG building is a ten-minute drive away, so it’ll be a perfect walk to take everyday.

I turn around and see a little market and a convenience store next to each other across the street from me. Perfect.

I make my way inside the building. The main entrance is at the back part of the side of the building. I walk along the pathway lined with flowers and plants until I find the main double doors. Once inside, I pull out the small packet with my apartment code and small piece of paper with my apartment number. I’m on the sixth floor, apartment 612.

I head across the small lobby and give a nod to the guard at the desk as I pass him. The elevator is small, but nice. It’s brightly lit and shiny.

When the doors open, I see the indicator sign on the wall in front of me and turn left. At the end of the hallway there is a big window, with sunlight shining through. As I pass the other apartments, looking for my own, I’m brought closer to the end of the hallway.

My apartment is the last one of the left. Next to my door is a metal plate that includes a doorbell, speaker, and camera.

Above the door handle is a touch screen where I punch in the code given to me. When I open the door, my feet hit marble. I feel my eyebrows rise. Nice touch.

In front of me are two wooden closet doors and to my right are two mirrored doors. I want to look inside them in detail, but first, I’d like to put all my luggage pieces down somewhere inside the apartment. I remove my shoes and continue my exploration.

To the left is the beginning of the hallway, covered in hardwood flooring. Standing there, if I look to the left, I see my bedroom, and to the right is the rest of the hallway that leads to the rest of the apartment. Walking into the bedroom first, I see that it’s already furnished. Thank you, YG!

I have an American, queen-sized bed in front of me with two bedside tables on either side. To the left is a closet area and to the right, past the bed is a balcony. On the wall to the right of where I stand at the entrance is a bureau. I let a smile stretch across my face as I stand my luggage up against the closet doors. They sure did think of everything to make me comfortable.

Turning back around, I head into the hallway. Next to the main apartment entrance, on the right, is a full bathroom. The shower has a waterfall showerhead and the toilet is heated. Oh, I can so get used to this.

Across from the bathroom is a small laundry room with a washer and dryer sitting one on top of the other.

The next sight has my jaw dropping and my eyes going wide. Surely this can’t all be for me?

The hallway opens up to a big kitchen and living room. The entire back wall ahead of me is a floor-to-ceiling window, reminding me of President Yang’s office. As I approach, I see that it can also slide open onto a balcony. The view beyond the window is of beautiful Seoul. And with my face pressed to the glass, at the edge of my vision I can see the YG building, nestled amongst other, smaller buildings.

I turn around and look back at my apartment. “Beautiful,” I say aloud.

There is an air conditioning unit in the corner to my right, a large L-shaped sofa in front of it. In front of that is a low, dark wooden coffee table. To my left is a large, flat-screen TV, surrounded by empty bookshelves.

Next to the furthest bookshelf is a small, black screen. I walk over to it and see that it’s about the size of an iPad and is a touch screen control for the apartment. As I fiddle around with that some more, I learn that I can control the kitchen and living room lights; I can control the floor temperature; call down to the guard at the main apartment entrance, and see who is at my apartment door. Very cool.

I walk past the sofa and into the kitchen area. There is an island in front of me with cool, orange stools sitting on the living room side. Walking around it, I open up the small cabinets to see storage space for spices or whatnot. Behind me is the sink, stove, and oven, all surrounded by black granite. Above it all are several cabinets.

On the wall to the right is a silver refrigerator and next to that is a large pantry.

I walk over to the sofa and fall onto it in a daze. “This is amazing!” I yell out into the empty apartment.

 

***

 

After unpacking all my clothes and personal items, I remained at my apartment for the rest of the day, watching television and simply enjoying my incredible apartment. I still can’t believe YG is treating me so well just to teach English to his artists.

That was yesterday. Today finds me walking around Myeong-dong in downtown Seoul. I had begun this morning exploring everything near my apartment, but my excitement had quickly led me to go further and deeper into the bustling metropolis.

I took the bus for a long 50-minute ride to the busy shopping area and have now lost myself in the colors and smells and people of Seoul.

As I pass several food stands, an ice cream stand up ahead catches my eye. I happily make my way over and ask the ajumma for the pistachio flavor. She gets a small cone and begins to circle the ice cream onto the cone until it’s about a foot high. My eyes go wide and happy at the sight. I thank her and continue exploring Myeong-dong.

I don’t see any particular souvenirs that I want to send home to my parents or my sister, so I hold onto my money and decide to head over to Insa-dong.

According to my map, Insa-dong is only ten minutes away by bus, so I decide to walk. Twenty minutes later, and I am walking amongst stores with amazing souvenirs.

I see a great Buddhist sculpture that my mom would love and an antique bronze container that I think my sister would find pretty, but Insa-dong is damn expensive!

I continue to look around, but again choose not to purchase anything. There will be plenty of time to find, good and less expensive gifts for everyone.

As the sun begins to lower in the sky and the amount of visitors begins to wane, I decide to head back home.

Home.

I find it trange that in such a short time, I’ve already called that apartment my home.

I smile to myself as I relieve my aching feet by finding a seat on the bus for the ride back.

By the time I return to the apartment, the sun is down and I am exhausted. I make my way up to my place and head straight for the living room. I fall onto the sofa and turn on the television.

I’m not paying attention to what’s on; merely letting the sounds fill the otherwise silent apartment.

Soon, the sound of Kang Daesung singing is heard and I open my eyes, waking up from my drowsy state.

The clip shows Kang Daesung singing at one of his concerts here in Korea. The voice-over woman then begins talking about the excitement for Daesung’s first concert in England.

“Kang Daesung’s Angels in England are eagerly anticipating his arrival in just a few months for his three concerts. There have been long lines at record stores and many Angels dressed up in fake wings have been seen around London’s Koreatown. I’m sure Kang Daesung will enjoy his time in England and we all look forward to his success there!”

After that, the woman’s voice begins to talk about the local promotions of the unbeatable trio, Big Bang.

But I’ve zoned out of whatever else she says as my mind begins to wander. What will Kang Daesung be like in person? Nice? Pretentious? “No way,” I laugh aloud to my apartment.

I get up and head to my room to go to sleep for the night. As I shut off the lights and climb into my big bed, I feel a smile break across my face. “He’ll be great.”

 

 

 

 

____________

A/N: I was inspired by this beautiful apartment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CsggSblB2M

Sorry for the long time between updates, my friends! Been a bit busy these days...preparing for graduation and packing to return home and setting up my new job! Boy oh boy, so there's so much to do!

So how did we like or dislike this chapter? Let me know, pretty please and thank you!