Don't Blink

Don't Blink

 

If anyone had told me a year ago that I would work for YG Entertainment as an English instructor, I would have laughed in their faces. Hell, if anyone had told me three months ago, I would have laughed in his or her face.

But now…now I cannot laugh.

For I’ve just arrived at Gimpo airport, the one I’ve seen in so many fan photos of Big Bang or Daesung or 2NE1 traveling all around the world.

As I look around for the YG driver that is supposed to be picking me up, I pull out my phone to call my mom, like I’d promised her I would.

“Seunghyun?” her voice sounds tired when she answers her cell phone.

“Yeah, it’s me, Mom. Just wanted to let you know that I landed safely in Korea. I got my luggage and I’m looking for my driver now.”

“Arasso,” she says tiredly. “Thanks for calling. Be safe and we’ll talk tomorrow or whenever you have time. Be respectful and call me if you have any questions or need any advice, or if you just want to talk.” I can hear the smile in her voice as she says, “I love you, sweetheart.”

I smile at her words. “Love you too, Mom. Tell Dad I love him too. Talk to you soon!”

“Will do. Goodnight, sweetheart.”

As I hang up the phone, I take a deep breath. “Okay, let’s do this, Seunghyun.”

I can’t believe that I’m here. Just three months ago, I’d been scrolling through YG’s website, reading up on one of my favorite singers, Daesung, when I’d suddenly been struck with inspiration. I’d pulled up the careers tab and found what I was hoping and praying would be available: an open English instructor position.

With every assumption that I was wasting my time, but being a hardcore Daesung fan, or Angel, as we like to call ourselves, I applied for the position. Two weeks later I was called by a YG representative asking for a Skype interview.

Disbelieving, I’d taken the Skype call from Korea and spoken with the Human Resources representative. She had asked me several questions, some in English, some in Korean, and after half an hour, had hung up with me.

I was supposed to have interviewed with Yang Hyun Suk as well, but he was off-site filming for KPop Star. That’s an interview I’ll end up doing in person later today when I arrive at the YG building. I try not to think too hard about how nerve-wracking that interview will be.

Luckily for me, my thoughts don’t have to continue down that daunting path because just then I see a gentleman in a black suit with my name on a sign.

With a relieved sigh, I make my way over to him. I begin speaking in Korean. “Annyeong haseyo! I’m Choi Seunghyun.”

The shorter man smiles up at me before he bows respectfully. “Mr. Choi, it’s a pleasure to meet you. I am Kim Yoon Ri.” We begin to walk out of the airport, towards the pick up area. “Welcome to Korea! Have you been here before?”

“Mm. With my parents when I was much younger. I don’t remember much of the trip unfortunately.”

Mr. Kim gives me a friendly smile. “Then you can make new memories now! I’m sure you’ll have plenty of fun here. And working for YG Entertainment will be wonderful.”

I look over at him and see a genuine smile on his face.

“What’s it like, Mr. Kim? Working around so many celebrities?”

He thinks for a moment. “Well, I guess at first it must be quite a shock.  But it’s been so long now, I don’t think of them as celebrities. They are all such genuinely nice and charming people. We’re all a family here. It’s a wonderful company to be a part of. And now we have you joining us! I’m sure you’ll settle in just fine with everything YG.”

I think about his response. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to see the YG artists as anything other than the idols that they are.

By now we are in the car and Mr. Kim is driving me to the YG building. I try to take in the sights of buildings and restaurants and parks as much as I can. It’s a cloudy day that I’ve arrived on, making the city look sleepy. One of these days I’ll have to get out and explore Seoul for myself. I wonder how much time off YG will give me.

Of course, this thought leads me back to thinking of the interview I’ll have with YG himself in just a few moments. Butterflies appear in my stomach and I think I’m going to be sick.

“Mr. Kim?”

“Neh?”

“Is Yang Hyun Suk-sshi a very mean and scary man?”

Mr. Kim lets out a hearty laugh. “Omo, omo. You are a funny one, Choi Seunghyun! Ani. Mr. Yang is one of the best people I have ever had the pleasure of working for.” When he sees the unconvinced look on my face, he adds, “You have nothing to worry about.”

I take a deep breath. He’s right, Seunghyun. You’ve already got the position. This is just a meet and greet.

Too soon, we’re pulling up to the building that I’ve only seen in photos on Google.

Mr. Kim opens the trunk and pulls out my suitcases as I gaze up at the imposing building.

This isn’t really about to happen, is it? I’m about to enter the YG building?

I shake my body and slap my face a few times. “No way, no way!”

“Uh, Choi Seunghyun?”

I quickly stop my slapping and look over at Mr. Kim, who is staring at me like I’ve just grown a second head. I give him a sheepish smile. Ugh, how embarrassing.

“Mianhe. I’m all right. Just a bit nervous.”

Mr. Kim chuckles softly. “Oh, but I can already tell you’ll fit in just fine.”

I frown at his words, but don’t comment on them since Mr. Kim is already headed for the entrance. Following closely, I see Mr. Kim place his hand on the scanner and hear the door slide open.

This is not real.

I’m inside the YG building.

I follow Mr. Kim down the hall to the elevators, taking in the look of the shiny foyer area. Plants line the walls and platinum-looking walls surround us. By the plain looks of the foyer, one wouldn’t think this is the place where YG artists create their magic.

The elevator doors open and we step inside. Mr. Kim presses the button for the 9th floor. Top floor. Yang Hyun Suk’s massive office.

The butterflies are back. I take several deeps breaths as I try to mentally prepare myself for what it will be like to meet Yang Hyun Suk.

Mr. Kim continues to chuckle at my nervousness.

When the doors finally open, I am stunned by how big Yang Hyun Suk’s office actually is. It seems to stretch forever before me, the back wall being a floor-to-ceiling window with views of the city.

Mr. Kim is the first to exit the elevator and I follow close behind.

“President Yang?” Mr. Kim calls out into the seemingly empty room.

Oh, good. Maybe he’s not even here and I can put this off until tomo—

“Neh?”

I see him come out of a side room ahead on my left. He is about my height, perhaps a little shorter. More surprising, though, is the gentle smile he has on his face as he approaches me.

“Choi Seunghyun?”

I can only nod my head as I swallow my spit.

Yang Hyun Suk bows and says. “It’s a pleasure to have you here with us.”

I return his bow and say, “Kamsahamnida.”

Yang Hyun Suk turns to Mr. Kim. “You can leave his luggage here, Yoon Ri. I’ll have someone assist him once we’re done here. Komawo.”

Mr. Kim bows and retreats from the office.

“Why don’t you come have a seat?” Yang Hyun Suk says to me once Mr. Kim is in the elevator. I nod my head and follow him to his lounge area. I take a seat on the big white couch which is surprisingly comfortable.

Once he sits down across from me, Yang Hyun Suk asks, “How was your flight?”

I clear my throat. “Good. It was long, but good.”

He’s quiet for a moment. I begin to fidget.

“Choi Seunghyun, you appear to be somewhat nervous.”

My eyes go wide at his perfect English. “I didn’t know you spoke English, sir.”

He chuckles. “Oh, please don’t call me ‘sir.’ President Yang or Hyun Suk is perfectly acceptable. And, yes, I do speak English. Would you prefer to speak in English, Seunghyun?”

I shake my head and reply in Korean. “Ani. Korean is fine. President Yang, I just wanted to thank you and tell you what an honor it is to meet you and to work for you.”

He chuckles once more. “Kamsahamnida. I’m happy to have you! Many of my artists to need to perfect their English since we’re breaking into the English-speaking parts of the world more and more these days. I also have French and Spanish and Japanese instructors here as well. Perhaps you will befriend them.”

I nod my head. “Will I be living here at YG?”

President Yang lets out a loud laugh. “If you’re G-Dragon, then yes. Otherwise, I have arranged for you to live in an apartment complex a few blocks away. I’ll have you working with a few artists a day, Monday through Thursday. Friday through Sunday are your days to do with as you please. And I’ll let you know in advance when you’ll be traveling with Daesung to England for his upcoming concerts and interviews there. That should just be a few days or so—“

“Daesung? As in Kang Daesung?”

President Yang must hear and see the nervous excitement in my voice and face because he gives me a happy smile. “Neh! Exciting, isn’t it? That boy has a beautiful voice. One of the best decisions I ever made. But don’t tell the Big Bang boys I said that.”

And now is when it finally begins to sink in.

I’m here. In Seoul. Working for YG. Working with artists like Kang Daesung, Big Bang, 2NE1, and Lee Hi.

President Yang stands up. “Well, I’m happy I was able to finally meet you, Choi Seunghyun. If you ever need anything, you know where to find me.”

“Neh. Kamsahamnida.”

“I have a driver waiting for you downstairs to take you to your apartment. You’ll have a week to yourself before I put you to work, neh?”

“Neh.”

I turn to get my luggage and go back downstairs. As I wait for the elevator, President Yang comes up to me. “Choi Seunghyun, has anyone ever told you that you have a very handsome face?”

I blush and nod my head. “A few people, neh.”

President Yang looks like he’s considering something for a moment. The elevator doors open and I grab my luggage and enter the lush elevator.

Just as the doors begin to close, President Yang says, “Have you ever considered acting or modeling?”

My mouth drops open and my suitcase falls on my foot.

The last thing I hear is President Yang’s happy laughter.

 

 

 

_________

A/N: So what do we think? A bit different, neh? Should I even make it a multi-chapter?