Sweet, sweet, Halloween

AKB48 ONE-SHOT Anthology

“Yuko! Yuko! Yuko! Hurry up!!” A short girl with a ponytail, dressed up as a cabbage girl, waved to her friend. It was Halloween, the last day of October. And that meant, ‘Trick or Treat’ing. In their neighborhood, the candy giving festival was celebrated, so children would go out and obtain many yummy little sweets.

The receiver grinned in a squirrely manner. “Mou~ Takamina, no need to rush.” She, Yuko, was dressed in a fluffy and warm squirrel costume. The two were ready to go on their candy adventure, but first they needed to wait just a bit.

The two children held Halloween bags in their hands, ready to get a huge load of candy and sugar. Of course, they looked forward to eating chocolate, lollipops, and all that other candy after they finished.

“Can we go now?” Takamina asked childishly.

The squirrel smiled and nodded. “Hrm… Let’s go then~”

Thus, the two short little girls headed out. They greeted each door with a smile and most of the time were replied with one and candy as well. Some interesting people such as the neighbor, Mariko-sama, gave them weird candy shaped like eyeballs making the night more interesting. Halloween music could be heard everywhere. And many other children were out Trick or Treating as well.

 After a while, the two took a break.

Yuko took out a large chocolate bar and unwrapped it. Splitting the chocolate in two, she gave one half to Takamina and the other half to herself. The innocent Taka tilted her head, confused. Yuko gave a pout, and said in a tsundere manner, “That’s your half. Let’s enjoy some candy during our break.”

“…Yuko… Arigatou!”

Nom, nom, nom. They finished their chocolate. Seeing how her friend had chocolate on her cheeks, Yuko went ahead and wiped it off with her finger. Realizing that it made her finger chocolate-y, the squirrel the chocolate off like any child her age.

After that, they went around just a little longer and got a little more candy. The candy-givers were glad to see their rosy little faces lit up with happiness and glee.

Now, it was time to go back home. The two short girls had also scheduled a sleepover since it was Halloween and they would stay up quite a bit. Their bags were filled with candy and the two were filled with sugary happiness.

But, there were some mean boys in the neighborhood. Because Takamina was short and Yuko was short, they would always make fun of the two. Since Taka was dressed as cabbage and had lots of candy, those mean boys decided to tackle the short girl to the ground and run off with the candy.

“…” Takamina looked as if she wanted to cry.

“Grr… I’m gonna get them!!” Yuko was mad. She let Takamina onto her back as she chased after.

The meanest little boy cried, “Oh no! That squirrel’s gaining on us.” The others were starting to worry.

In a flash, Yuko kicked them down to the ground and retrieved the cabbage’s candy bag. “Hrmph…” But for some reason, Takamina looked as if she was going to cry. Maybe from happiness, but it made Yuko’s heart jump and worry. Even though the squirrel wasn’t into flat shorties…

“Here.” The squirrel stretched out her hand and handed Takamina a choco-lollipop.

The short cabbage didn’t understand. She was quite dense after all, but she stopped crying. “???”

“Sweet things always make you smile… So.” Yuko blushed and muttered as she sheepishly looked away.

“Yuko… Daisuki.” Understanding what her best friend was trying to say, Takamina grinned and hugged Yuko.

“…Mrm…” Yuko couldn’t say anything as she blushed, trying to seem less awkward, she put a piece of candy in as she watched the short cabbage. This was a really sweet, sweet, Halloween…Sugar with a pinch of love.