04

The Stupid L

“Wow, you must have been my huge fan. You even went and got plastic surgery to look like me.” That girl said.

“I’m ugly.” You said back, the girl’s mouth drop to the floor.

“Did you just call me UGLY?” She screeched the word ‘ugly’.

“No.” You said back.

“Are you girls getting off the bus or not? I don’t really care about who looks like who right now. I care about my next stop!” The bus driver said. You bowed to him and got off the bus. You started walking until someone grabbed your upper arm. You shook it off and turned around with a glare.

“Hi, remember me? The one who said I’ll get you one day.” The guy said with a smile.

“No.” You said and started to walk. Then you felt the boy’s presence beside you. You turned your head, he gives you a smile.

“Why’re you here?”

“Well, first I’m following you, second my house is this way too.” He smile at you again. You turned around and started walking faster. Then he copies your speed, you kept speeding up until both of you were running.

“When are you going to stop running?” The boy asked panting.

“When you’re gone.” You said and ran all the way to your house. Well it wasn’t technically a house, it was a rooftop house. It was big enough for one person to live there.

You took off your shoe and put on your slippers and walked in. Putting your stuff on your desk you sat down and started studying. That was your daily routine, every time of the day it’s study time. Your parents work hard in the states as store owners. They send half of their money back home to you. Well you never touch that money, you put them right back to your parents bank account. You only use it when it is emergencies, like you lose an arm or something like that. Well in your house there is no modern technology. The only this that looks modern is your clock, refrigerator, the stove, and the restroom. You don’t have a TV, phone, or computer.

You kept on studying until your stomach growled.

“Ramen.” You said and started to cook. You sat down on your bed and started eating. After finishing eating, you washed the bowl. Then you started to feel tired.

“I’ll take the shower in the morning. I’m too tired. Good night appa, umma.” You said and fell asleep.

 

*BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP*

You woke up without complaining at all. You hurried to the restroom and took a fast shower. You got out with wet hair in a towel. You quickly put on your uniform that you fell asleep in. The uniform was a bit wrinkly but you didn’t give much care to it at all. After blow drying your hair, it was pulled up into a pony tail. You never do anything with your wavy hair at all. You would cut it sometime by yourself, even though it would be uneven. You put on your shoes and hurried to the bus. Half way there, someone grabbed your upper arm. You turned around at the familiar but not used to it touch.

“Hey, we meet again, after you ditched me.” He let go and smiled at you. He looked at his watch and ran.

You didn’t say anything and hurried to the bus stop. It turned out that you were a little late. The bus could have drove away if the boy didn’t run first and told the bus driver to wait a little longer. When you got on the bus, you told him thank you.

“You’re welcome, princess.” He smiled and plop himself next to you. Well the boy did gain a lot of girl’s attention on the bus. There was a lot of whispering, glaring, and bad talk about you.

*I hate attention.* You quickly hid your face, and turned towards the window.

“Yah, why are you doing that?” The boy try to make you face him, well eventually he was stronger and he did make you face him.

“I hate attention.” You said and got up and sat down in an empty seat. He was about to go to you but then a girl sat down next to him and pulled him down. You sat on the other seat not even caring about how much the boy need your help with the girl. When it was your school stop you got off quick. When you walked into school no one greeted you. You were kind of invisible to the school, expect the queenkas sometimes. Whenever they see you talking to a guy, nerds and geeks, they’ll hurt you and say why are you messing with their man, and bad talk about you. You walked into class and saw Eunsoo, she of course was a social girl. Everyone was her friend, exclude the kingkas and queenkas, no one talked bad about her, and exclude the queenkas.

You hurried and sat down at your seat. The very back and dark one. In front of you there sat Eunsoo, beaming at you like a beacon. Her aura was always so sweet, naïve, and flowery.

“Good morning to you too.” She said when you looked up at her. You smiled and got out all your books.

“Sumin-ah, you know that my English is really bad right?” She said slowly and with an aegyo voice.

“I’ll teach you at lunch then, or when we have free time.” You said, she clutch on to your hands.

“I don’t know what I’ll do without you! If I was a boy, I’ll totally marry you.” She said.

“And I’ll say no at our wedding.” You said.

“Then I’ll be on my knees begging you.” She said and looked up. You could already tell she’s imagining it. Then the teacher walked in. He slams his hands on his podium and got everybody attention. Eunsoo snapped out of her daydream and turned forward. We sit up straight and bowed our head to him when the president of the class says sit up straight and bow.

The teacher started his daily routine of boring us with his morning adventures, get dressed, brushed his teeth nearly choked on his toothbrush, washed his face with soap, fell down the stairs, and missed the bus. After saying all those boring stuff he started teaching, history, the only subject you at. It was just too much names, dates, events to remember. You have a super memory but you could barely even remember your teacher’s names. Eunsoo turned around and mouth, “Can we meet at the school roof today?” you hesitated then nodded back to her. She smiled and turned back around.

“Miss Eunsoo, what made you smile so much? We would like to hear as well.” The teacher said crossing his arms on his chest.

“Just, that you have a dry stain of toothpaste on your jacket. It’s a whole blob of it too.” Eunsoo said, you look up and saw there was a big blob of dry toothpaste stain on it. The teacher looked down and started rubbing it with his hands.

“Well I’ll have to take care of that later than.” He said and returned to the board. He wrote down people’s names, when they were born, when they died, and what did they do in history. You copy them word for word so you could study at home.

After four classes the lunch bell finally ringed. You slowly got up and started packing your books. Eunsoo came over to your desk and beamed.

“Yes?”

“Remember the roof okay? I won’t make you look down this time. And bring your lunch before you faint of hunger.” She teased. You are afraid of heights, if you look down from your house you would faint right there at that spot.

You went to the lunchroom to get your lunch, but was stop by a queenka.

“Yes?”

“I heard that you know a cute boy outside of school.” She said and walked around you in circles. You thought that she was insane to think that you know a cute boy.

“No.”

“Aw, come on, tell me. I won’t kill.” She said and started playing with your hair. Some people stopped and watched you and her. People whispered ‘who is that girl’ ‘is she new’, you were totally invisible.

“I don’t know.” You said and try to walk away but the girl grabbed your arm and turned you around. You shrugged her hand off, she was about to slap you until seven boys walked in. The queenka dropped her hand and ran over to the boys. All the girls did actually. You went to get your lunch then looked around to see if there is another door or something. You walked out of the lunchroom and walked up to the roof. You still have twenty more minutes until the bell rings for class. You open the door and saw Eunsoo sitting there reading a piece of paper.

“Are you reading you love letter?” You asked.

“N-no.” She stuttered and folded the piece of paper up. You look down at her knees and saw there was the familiar pink envelope.

“Sure.” You walked over to her and sat down with your lunch tray.

“Sumin-ah, that boy didn’t come to me and tell me something.” She said and hugged the letter to her chest.

“Maybe he did, you just didn’t know.” You said, and then you felt a hot stare. You looked up and saw Eunsoo staring at you like you have a boyfriend.

“What?”

“Nothing, do you have a boyfriend? Have you ever had a boyfriend?” She asked.

“No, I plan on being lonely the rest of my life.” You answered.

“Not really charming you know. But you sound like a professional when you said ‘maybe he did, you just didn’t know’.” she said.

“Eunsoo-ah, there is something call common sense.” You answered back to her.

“Okay, now help me with science, you know there is a test coming up tomorrow right?” She asked.

“Yes,” You said and got out her book for science.

“You’re not nervous?” you shook your head and continue flipping pages. All the answers that Eunsoo did herself wasn’t right. The meaning was acknowledgeable but her wording was not.

“Seriously, Eunsoo? ‘Because the pig was dead’?”

“What? Common sense.”

“It asked why didn’t the pig rot, not why didn’t the pig oink.” You said and flipped to the right page.

“Eunsoo, you don’t divide the coefficients, you multiply them.” You said as you watch Eunsoo do one of the problems.

“Oh. NOW I GET IT! Was that all?” She asked slightly confused.

“Why are you dividing and subtracting? You should be adding and multiplying. After you do that you do it to the other equations, you see if they’re balanced or not.” You explained everything to her and she nodded her head along of everything you said.

“So that’s all I have to do?” She asked.

“Yup.” You said and started eating, but the food was already cold.

“Here, drink some of this.” She handed me a coke can. You signed and drink some, not that it help you get full. You drink your soup. Then the bell ring. Eunsoo hurried up and got her stuff. You were about to get the tray but Eunsoo said leave it. You and Eunsoo started running down the stairs. It would be the first time your late. She grabbed hold of your arm and stopped you. You look and saw one of the school guards patrolling.

“This is by far the worst day I ever lived.” You whispered to Eunsoo.

“Sorry, I didn’t know I would be so late.” She whispered back.

“I found a door.” She said and pulled you again. You thought that your arm would fall off. She started walking down the stairs and then she stopped short. You bumped into her. You look pass her shoulder and look like what is this. The room was designed like it was for some rich person. You look around and found a kitchen and a bed… of six boys sitting there, one was lying down, looking at you and Eunsoo gaping.