Backstory.

Summertime Sadness.

(This chapter is a flashback/backstory for the whole story.)

 

The warm summer breeze rushed past my cheeks as I sped down the highway in my dad's old car with all of the windows down. I felt so free, so invigorated, and so alive. If this was what being young felt like, then I never wanted to grow old. The wind whipping through my long strands of hair felt euphoric. I knew that I was going to get a Californian tan and even though my parents didn't like that very much, I absolutely loved it. I knew that where I was going was somewhere that my parents would never approve of. I was going to a small gathering with my friends on the beach. Who knows what was going to happen, the host refused to tell me. She said that I would love the party no matter what. Blindly following her bit of advice, I attended. Of course, with out my parents' permission. What fun is life without a little risk? You're only young one time in your life. You might as well live it the best you can. 

 

I know what you're thinking. You probably think that I'm so rebellious child who doesn't do anything her parents want. Well, you know what? You're exactly right. It's not that I don't respect and love my parents, because I do. It's just that I don't happen to agree with what they want for me. They want me to settle down, meet better friends, and maybe even get a job. In my mind, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the way that I'm living. It's exciting and fun. Sure, there are plenty of things that I've never done. I've never known what it's like to be one of the it girls, I've never been to a sleepover, and no one's ever stolen my heart. But to me, those are all petty things. They're all things that I don't need. Who cares if I'm popular or not? Who cares if I've never been to a slumber party? And I sure as hell don't care about the fact that I've never been in love. I honestly just don't have time for that. 

 

My thoughts were interrupted as I arrived at my destination. A small, private beach, owned by one of my classmates. I could see a fire blazing with a ring of jovial people around it. There was laughter and tears. Though admittedly, the tears were caused by the laughter. I parked my car messily in the small parking lot that was right next to the pale, fine sand. Stepping out of the car, I sidled over to the ring of my friends. I greeted everyone kindly and they replied with equal kindness. I really didn't understand why my parents hated my friends. They were fantastic people. Just because they may have been a little misunderstood, albeit- they were still amazing people. They made me feel like I finally belonged somewhere. They felt like a second family to me. A big, disfunctional family. 

 

As the night wore on, I could feel myself getting sleepier and sleepier. I had a large wool blanket wrapped securely around my shoulders and my head was resting on my best friend, Jiwon's shoulder. The sky was dark and the ocean was calm. The stars shone brightly and the fire kept us warm. It was relaxing, almost dreamlike. Unfortunately, this state of happiness didn't last. My phone started to ring incessantly. Regretfully, I checked the caller I.D. It was my parents calling... Again. Groaning and moving my head from it's perch on Jiwon's shoulder, I hesistantly answered the phone. 

"Hello?" A small grimmace was pasted onto my features. 

"Do you have any idea what time it is right now?" My father yelled into the reciever. 

I pulled away from the phone, annoyance rushing through my veins. "I know what time it is, dad. I'm not stupid,"

"I never said that, Jihye. You need to come home. Your mother and I have news for you," He continued in monotone. "We'd rather not tell you over the phone," 

I blinked a few times before answering. "Okay, I'll be home in an hour," 

I sighed as the other end of the line went dead. Standing up slowly and letting the blanket fall from my shoulders and onto the sand, I frowned. 

"It appears as if my parents want me to get my home," I said sadly with a false smile. 

We all bid our farewells as I walked closer toward the car that I had come in. I sat behind the wheel morosely, before starting the vehicle. The engine came to life with a quiet humming sound. With a suddenly less enthused mood, I drove hom slowly. I promised my parents I would be home in an hour, but I knew that I would be later than that. Though, I was undeniably curious about what they had to tell me. What was so bad or important that they couldn't tell me over the phone? That's how they told me everything anyway. Finishing the drive that felt all too short, I parked in our thin, moonlit driveway. I opened the car door and slammed it, giving the same treatment to our front door. 

 

Stepping inside, I removed my shoes and placed them neatly next to the entry way's carpet. I saw my parents sitting on the couch together, waiting for my arrival. I weaved my way into the living room and sat on the coffee table in front of them. 

"So... What was that you needed to tell me?" I tilted my head to the side. 

I could've sworn I saw my mother roll her eyes. I don't think she's ever liked me much. 

"Your mother and I are tired of your behavior lately," 

Oh no, I didn't like the way that my father was prefacing this conversation. 

"You're being disrespectful, disobideient, and your grades are slipping. Not to mention those damn hipsters you always hang out with," My father straightened his tie with a slight awkward cough. The room seemed off kilter. 

I continued to sit there blinking dumbfoundedly. 

"We want you to reform. We don't want you to suffer in the future, Jihye. That is why we've made the decision to send you to Korea for the rest of the summer and for the coming school year. You'll be staying with your aunt and uncle. They'll also be sending us your progress reports. I suggest you pack your things now, you're leaving in a week," 

I could feel the blood rushing to my ears. My life was really over wasn't it? I couldn't believe they wanted to send me to Korea. I couldn't stand the thought of it. My fists were clenching and unclenching as I tried to get ahold of my rational feelings. Maybe this really could've been for the best. But I highly doubt that. My next year and a half was going to be absolute hell. 

 

My name is Choi Jihye and I will never  be happy with my parents' decisions.