Old Bookstore

In The Club

 

“One week of vacation? That’s short, but at least I needed it” she said to herself, she packed her things up for her vacation, then her phone rings, “Yobo—“ “Ya!!! Why did you hang up last night!? What the hell are you talking about? What break? What!? I will took over the club for one week? Ya! Dara-ah, that’s long!!” it’s Bom, obviously being hysterical on what she said last night “You can do it Bom, I know you can, I just hope you understand me, I’ll be fine and you will be fine also, gwenchanhah” she said, then she heard sigh of defeat “Arasso, but come back soon okay?” she pleaded “Arasso, I need to go now Bom” and she hangs up. She was about to put down her phone when it rings again, it’s In Na, her secretary “Yes In Na?” she answered

“Dara, the YG management wants to talk to you”

“Oh, just give them my number “

“But they want to see you”

“We can meet somewhere, right? Is Dong Wook-ssi there?”

“Ne”

“Let me talk to him then, Dong Wook-ssi, I am sorry for the sudden information, but I’m on leave for one week, and my friend, Bom, my manager and one of my bartender is in charge for one week, no worries, Dong Wook-ssi, she’s a good manager, she can handle everything, is there anything you want to say?”

“Yes, Dara-ssi, I’m not sure, is she really good?”

“Dong wook-ssi, are you doubting my staff? If you are means you are doubting me, our ability to handle your event, If you don’t want then let’s cancel this”

“t-that’s not what I mean, Dara-ssi, I can’t cancel this, because the event will be the day after tomorrow, I can’t do that”

“then just believe in her, if you have any problem but the day itself you can just contact me, I’m sorry Dong Wook-ssi, I need to go now, can I talk to my secretary again?”

“Yes Dara?”

“Tell Bom, that she will manage the club by one week, and I trust her, no remind her, she already knows that, so then, bye”

She gets her keys and locks down her house and went out. The Sun shines through her skin, porcelain like skin, her auburn colored hair shines through as the wind blows it, she opens car and drove away, she don’t know actually where she will go, it’s for her to find out.

DAY ONE

Her vacation started as soon as she drove her car, her phone vibrates, ringing, but she’s not answering any calls and texts from, who knows.

An old store caught her attention as she drove into a unknown street somewhere in Busan, she gets out to her car and walks toward to the old store, the grills are all rusty and dirty, “An Old Bookstore?” she said with confusion, but the it did says it all, it’s an old bookstore with many old books and donated books to sell. “Annyeong, May I help you pretty young lady?” an old man appeared from the inside of the store.

Dara felt comfortable just talking to the old man, she admits it, and it refreshes her mind at all, she wanders around the small bookstore, then an old book caught her eyes, it was something she didn’t expect, “Theories of Love?” she reads it aloud, “You haven’t heard of it?” the old man said, “Ne” she shyly answered “Do you know that there are 6 styles of loving by lee? Eros, Ludos, Storge, Mania, Pragma, Agape” the old man says.

“Eros means, loving an Ideal person, Ludos, love as a game, Storge love as a friendship, Mania, Obsessive love, Pragma is realistic and practical love and for Agape, selfless love” he continued, Dara looks at him and listens to him, the old man leads the way to a lounge where they can talk more comfortably.

“do you want to test what kind of style of loving are you?” he ask, “Uhmm, yeah sure” she said. The old man brought out a pen and piece of small paper, “number that paper 1 up to 18” he said. She did what he said, follows all the directions and answers all the question he asked, “let me see it” he said as he gets the paper from her, “You are a pragma lover” he said “how do you say so?” she asked him, “Well you actually answer true to numbers 10 to 12, which is the statement for Pragma, you are just practical, you want that your relationship will work. You need to satisfy you desire, wants and needs, but just looking at you, there is something wrong, something bad happened?” Dara got caught; she didn’t expect that someone could notice it.

She tells her the story, everything what just happened to her, her personal life, who is she “I must say, just looking at you were that wealthy but you were not happy at all, hearing your stories, is something to look forward, but how come you are here not at your office?” he asked, “Abeoji, I’m on my leave now” she answered “I see, for how many days?” she asked, “Well, I don’t know, maybe for only one week” she said.

“Abeoji, how come you know those things, by not reading the book?” she asked, the old man laughs before he answers “I’m a retired professor of Psychology” he laughs “Awesome!” that’s the only thing she can say “So may I leave you first? You can just go around the bookstore, if you needed something you can just ring the bell” the old man said as he left him.

Dara did, what he said, she wanders around again to place, scanning the interesting books.

It’s already 4pm and she needed to go, she rings the bell “Abeoji, I have to go now!” she shouts, she waited for at least 3 minutes just to say goodbye to the old man, “Abeoji, thank you for the things you have said to me, I’m sure I’ll going back here just to seek your help, can I?” she asked, “Of course, of course you can” he said “so bye for now abeoji! I’ll see you agaib arasso?” she gave her the bright smile “Yes yes, I’ll see you again, take care!”

She get on her car, “I’ll be going now Abeoji!” she waves at him and she drove away. This experience of Dara was being so meaningful, knowing what lover are you and talking to a person who can help you.

She checks her phone full of messages and missed calls, from In Na, Bom, Chaerin, Dara, Gummy and Minji, they we’re all worried about her.

“Bom, what’s up?

“Ya! Where are you? Are you okay? Why you didn’t reply on our text?

“I’m good don’t worry, and I’m having my vacation remember?

“I know but, aigoo, fine fine, but are you sure you want me to handle the YG Management’s event?”

“Of course, I believe in you, you are a manager at the same the bartender”

“Okay fine, just be careful on your way Dara-ah”

“I know thank you, regards to them as well, anyway, I’m already checked in a hotel so don’t worry I’ll be fine”

Just hearing Bom’s voice makes her wants to go back, but she told herself that she needed a break for no.

Her phone rings again with an unknown number; she got curious that she answered it right away,

“Yobo-seyo? Who’s this?”