Chapter One

I Will Show You

 

“Seunghyun Oppa~” I called shyly.

Seunghyun turned away from his friend Dongwook to see me walking towards him quietly.

“Annyeong, Ye Jin,” he greeted warmly, holding my hand in his. It was always strange to see and feel that they didn’t perfectly fit. Then again, nothing’s perfect.

I am a geek. I wear unfashionable clothes and big dorky glasse. I have never failed to be the top of the class.

Right now, even I knew that my dress (that was an ugly shade of yellow) did not go well with my hair that was braided into two and big, unattractive glasses. But I am not into fashion. I clutched three textbooks close to my chest.

“I’ll carry that for you,” Seunghyun said, gently taking the books from me.  My cheeks flushed slightly pink as I nodded and thanked him.

Honestly hyung, what does that girl have? Dongwook snorted to himself as he walked away, already having seen my books being taken by his best friend.

I wonder why Seunghyun Oppa likes me, I thought; and not for the first time. I was not as stupid as the other nerds. When someone as handsome as Choi Seunghyun courts me patiently and acts like the perfect boyfriend, something is up

But Seunghyun was rich, his grades were in good shape, he was popular and hot, he behaved in class and was a pro at sports, and he was not known as a playboy. He was a genuinely nice and helpful guy. I kept trying to figure it all out, but Choi Seunghyun was really something.

Finally, I decided that Seunghyun plainly loved me for who I was. He was my first boyfriend, and my stomach twisted at the thought.

“Ye Jin-ah, let’s eat together at lunch”

“With your friends?” my  heart sank. Everyone except Youngbae and Daesung didn’t like me because of my status at school and, basically, my appearance. They were the kingkas of the school. 

“Ne, of course,” Seunghyun chuckled. I returned it with a convincing, light laugh.

“Well…I’ll invite Dara unnie and Chaerin then,” I stated timidly, indicating my best friends since I could remember.

Seunghyun looked a little taken aback, but nodded with a smile.

The classes dragged on. I enjoyed every minute of it. I would never admit to anyone, but I liked studying and learning.

In fact, I wanted to become a doctor and get a Ph.D. I seem shy, and I was, but I was confident when it came to a field I knew.

All too soon it was lunch. I walked with my only friends; Sandara Park and Lee Chaerin to the garden where tables were set up.

The boys, composed of Lee Seungri, Kang Dae Sung, Dong Youngbae, Kwon Jiyong, and of course Choi Seunghyun were at their usual table.

“Annyeonghaseyo everyone,” the three of us bowed formally, Dara taking a seat nearest to Taeyang, while I took the seat next to Seunghyun.

Chaerin scowled when she realized the only space available was the one next to Seungri.

Seunghyun Oppa automatically slid his hand to cover mine. Jiyong and Seungri nearly rolled their eyes. I blushed as I began to eat my kimbap with my free hand.

“Lovey-dovies,” Seungri and G-D sang in a teasing tone “Seunghyun and Ailee sitting on a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G~”

Seunghyun and I blushed, but ignored the two pointedly.

“Ye Jin-ah!” my mother hugged me when I greeted her. “How was school?”

“It was good, eomma," I replied, smiling. “How was Seunghyun?” I gulped a little. “He’s good too. Still the same”

“He should”

“Eomma!”

“What?” she batted her eyelashes innocently at me. I laughed and shook my head, climbing up the stairs to my room.

Nothing was really special about it. It was cocoa & white-themed, awards and pictures as well as posters hung on the wall, a huge desk, a bed, a closet and beauru, and finally a nightstand.

I washed up and changed into a t-shirt and shorts, my hair in a ponytail. I got out my homework and started working on it, leaning closer to my desk.

“Ye Jin!! Dinner!!” eomma called. Just in time; I finished my homework. It took a lot of time to finish it, and I had to review them.

“Ne, I’m coming!!” I pushed back my computer chair and stood up, stretching.

I climbed down the steps, the scent of bibimbap hitting my nose senses immediately. I inhaled it deeply, “It smells so good” 
“Thank you, Jinnie,” Umma smiled. “Help me set the table,” I nodded and did as I was told, talking to her about today's events.

Suddenly the door opened with a beep. “Annyeong appa,” I greeted warmly, hugging my tired father.
“Aigoo, hello to you too my daughter,” he gave me a weary but affectionate smile before going upstairs. Soon the three of us were eating, talking about our day. “Aiyoo, I’m so tired. Ye Jin, do you mind if you wash the dishes tonight?” my mother asked. “Of course eomma, you and appa have a good night,” I kissed their cheeks and hugged them before cleaning the table.

The two stood up and shuffled to their bedroom. As I was about to finish washing the dishes, my phone rang. Hurrying over, I picked up and answered, “Yoboseyo?”
“Ye Jin-ah!” It was Dara Unnnie’s excited voice. “We found out that there will be a new student in our class tomorrow! I heard she’s got the best vocals, too”
I smiled sadly. I loved singing, but I was too shy and afraid of rejection.
“Why don’t you challenge her?” she continued.
I felt myself blush furiously. “You know I won’t do that,” I told her, pouting to myself as I finished washing the dishes.
“Come on~ The school’s going to have a singing competition!! Please join, for us!!”
I froze. How can they do this? They know that I can’t say no if they wanted me to do something for them. “Please, Ye Jin-ah. Bbuing-bbuing~” she said, using her aegyo. I groaned, “Fine….I guess I can do it…” I began climbing upstairs, making sure I had turned off the lights, unplugged everything and locked the doors properly. When I entered my room, I was already telling Dara Unnie to sleep well. “Bye~” I said, then put down my phone.

I tidied up my things and made sure I had everything in my backpack. Then I washed up and climbed into my bed, settling in comfortably.
I sighed as my stomach flipped and churned. Entering the competition...Omo...I forced myself to concentrate on other things, like Seunghyun and his snobby friends.
I felt my eyes closing, and before I knew it, I was quietly sleeping.