She's Back

Tell Your Appa That I Love Him

“Oh, where is Jiyeon?”

 

Sungyeol looked around to find his friend after the quarrel between him and Suzy had ended. Though Suzy agreed to buy Sungyeol coffee, she still kept grumbling over her losing.

 

“Didn’t she say that she needs to buy tomato sauce?” Suzy grunted.

 

“Should we come and help her?” Sungyeol asked. “As you said, Jiyeon may spend at least an hour there. We should stop her from wasting time.”

 

“Geez…you’re caring so much.”

 

Suzy pouted while following Sungyeol. They walked down the supermarket aisle and finally found Jiyeon talking with someone in the corner. As Sungyeol was about to call her, Suzy suddenly covered his mouth and pulled him back.

 

“What are you...”

 

“Ssshhh!” Suzy put one finger on her lips and watched Jiyeon from behind the shelf. She had recognized her sister’s first-snow man, and she was very excited because they finally met again. It was totally miraculous.

 

“You look so mysterious. What is going on?” Sungyeol asked curiously while looking at Jiyeon’s direction. As he did it, his eyes widened in disbelief. “Oh, that…that man is…”

 

“Right, he’s your superior, Mr. Kim Myungsoo.” Suzy helped him finish the sentence.

 

“Wait…how come they know each other?”

 

“Actually, this is their second encounter. I’m sure that they’re destined to meet.” Suzy claimed.

 

“What if it’s just a pure coincidence?” Sungyeol chuckled. “I don’t believe in fate.”

 

“She met him on the first day of snow, and it portends their fateful love.”

 

“Do you know how many people I met on the first day of snow? It’s obvious that I haven’t fallen in love with them.” Sungyeol sighed. “It’s the 21st century, and we can’t believe in such bull.”

 

“Then all we should do is help them become a real couple.” Suzy folded her arms and said.

 

“It’s even more impossible.” He blurted out. “I can say that Myungsoo is never a good match for Jiyeon. He is too cold…”

 

“She is warm enough for both.” Suzy argued.

 

“He is a workaholic…”

 

“She has enough free time for both.”

 

“He is very pragmatic…”

 

“She is romantic enough for both.”

 

“Can you stop interrupting me now?” Sungyeol asked furiously.

 

“Will you help them or not?”

 

“No. I don’t want to poke my nose into other people’s business.”

 

“But she’s your best friend.” Suzy snapped back.

 

“We should not interfere in their private matter, Suzy.” Sungyeol sighed. “Let come what may.”

 

“I hate you!!!” Suzy shouted, ignoring the fact that Jiyeon and Myungsoo could hear her. 

 

“Yah! Keep your voice down!” Sungyeol immediately pulled her out of the grocery. He didn’t want Myungsoo to see him here.                       

 

“Let go of me!” Suzy tried to free her hand, but Sungyeol is much stronger than her.

 

“Now, tell me why you get mad at me.” He said while looking at her straight in the eyes. They were in an empty corridor with Suzy standing against the wall and Sungyeol’s face was close to hers.

 

“I hate you. That’s all.” She answered obstinately. He said that he hadn’t fallen in love with anyone he met on the first day of snow, and it meant she was included. Suzy wanted to tell him the reason why she got mad, but words got stuck in .

                  

“But all I said is true. You can’t love someone just because you meet him on the first day of snow. Love is not so easy, and…”

 

“But I did.” Suzy suddenly interrupted him.

 

“What?” Sungyeol was totally bewildered. “Who is he?”

 

“Why do you ask?” Suzy snapped back. “It's not your business, so stop wondering.”

 

As she was going to walk away, Sungyeol grabbeb her wrist. Though he did it unintentionally, his grab led to an embrace as Suzy was pulled to him. They could hear their own strong heartbeat. After a long silence, Sungyeol whispered, “You know I do care about you, Suzy.”  

 

“You will help, wont’ you?” She smiled.

 

“Yes.”                                                                                   

Myungsoo and Jiyeon’s conversation was coming to an end as they reached the checkout counter. Jiyeon had helped him choose fresh food and even gave him some useful cooking tips. Through their talk, Jiyeon could know a bit more about him. Myungsoo was not really an open book, but his way of talking was very attractive. She was most surprised by the fact that he was a vegetarian. Myungsoo explained that the brutal way people kill animals for food had been disgusting him, so he never ate meat again. It strongly impressed Jiyeon, and she couldn’t deny that she already liked him more than a little. Who wouldn’t like a man with a heart of gold after all? She couldn’t help but feel a bit regretful when it came time to say goodbye to him.

 

“It’s really nice to talk to you. Bye for now and have a nice day!” Jiyeon said after their purchase was done.

 

“You too.” Myungsoo smiled. “Thank you for sharing cooking tips with me.”

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

They gave each other a farewell smile before walking in opposite directions. Jiyeon called Sungyeol to ask where he was and Myungsoo came to meet his beloved daughter at the bookstore.

 

 Yeah~ We finally come home!!!”

 

Sungjong plopped himself down on the couch and TV while Myungsoo carried grocery bags to the kitchen.

 

“Appa, what do we have for lunch?” Lauren eagerly looked into the bags.

 

“Secret.” Myungsoo winked at his daughter and smiled. “But you should take a bath first. Wait a moment, I’ll help you bathe.”

 

“Neh, appa.” She said and went to the bathroom.

 

“Come and help me cook if you don’t want to have lunch and dinner at the same time.” He told his cousin.

 

“I feel like I’m going to become a real rabbit because of you.” Sungjong complained. “I’m already tired of eating vegetables, hyung!”

 

“But it’s good for your health, you know.” Myungsoo chuckled. “Come here quick!”

 

Sungjong grunted before standing up from the couch. Myungsoo pushed the basket of bean sprouts and tomatoes towards him and said, “You just need to wash them and I’ll cook.”

 

“Okay, hyung.”

 

As soon as Myungsoo open the bathroom’s door, his phone suddenly rang. He looked at the unknown number on the screen, wondering who was calling. Since he had just returned to Korea, just a few people knew his number. It was impossible for a stranger to call him. But Myungsoo still decided to answer the call.

 

“Hello?”

 

Nothing was heard. There was only a pure silence.

 

“Who are you?”

 

“…”

 

“If you don’t say anything, I will hang up.” He said coldly.

 

“Myungsoo…”

 

As the moment his name was blurted out on the other line, his heart skipped a beat. It was the voice he had longed to hear again.

 

“It’s me, Soojung…”